• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 13
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 5137 times and has 12 replies Next Thread
Strider399

Return of an old player Reply to this Post

Wait, 200k poker still exists? There's still no Kraken ? I still need 73 other people to do Atlantis on a War Frig? (There are a million threads for that one) Move spying is still possible? Wall-humping is still a widespread problem? Limited Edition Ships are still the biggest addition to the game in the past three years?

Nevermind, I quit again. Fix the stuff that needs to be fixed OOO.
----------------------------------------
Sid on Obsidian

Striderrs everywhere else
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Eurydice at Feb 26, 2013 12:27:26 PM]
[Feb 21, 2013 4:47:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
randomact

Re: Return of an old player Reply to this Post

Miss you already Sid. xoxo
Loathe/Forever.

Cremate tells ye, "i think i just broke my hymen"
[Feb 21, 2013 5:01:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Caribastos4

That's a pretty silly response to OOO announcing that they're working on something that seems like it will probably grow the player-base.
Jdilla on Emerald and Meridian.

Stroma says, "i hate you"
[Feb 21, 2013 5:04:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Strider399

It's not silly considering these problems have been around for years now. An influx of players means nothing if the same issues persist that drive away older experienced players.

EDIT: Let me put it this way; The game is in the same exact state it was when it was released on Steam. How did that work out?
Sid on Obsidian

Striderrs everywhere else
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Strider399 at Feb 21, 2013 5:11:11 PM]
[Feb 21, 2013 5:09:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
amartino

wait- you forgot to mention how they still don't have noses on the $%&! pirates. Doesn't that make you just RAGE !?!?

Piecesoeight on Meridian

Don't waste your time
Or time will waste you

================
[Feb 21, 2013 5:16:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Caribastos4

I definitely agree that there are other issues that need to be addressed, but seems like every other thread these days someone says that the game is dying. I have no issue with OOO prioritizing a release that they think will bring new players to the game and pushing back other fixes/releases to get that out asap. 200k poker, movespying, and wall-humping aren't the reason Steam was mostly a flop. There are some pretty steep barriers to entry into ypp that need to be addressed. If there are any fixes that should happen before ypp is released on tablet, it's those that would make ypp more new-player-friendly.
Jdilla on Emerald and Meridian.

Stroma says, "i hate you"
[Feb 21, 2013 5:25:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Snowpixie

Miss you already Sid. xoxo

Imp, totally sane mermaid-siren of Meridian.
Superdoodle avatar by Budclare =D
[Feb 22, 2013 3:24:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
lukin8

I definitely agree that there are other issues that need to be addressed, but seems like every other thread these days someone says that the game is dying. I have no issue with OOO prioritizing a release that they think will bring new players to the game and pushing back other fixes/releases to get that out asap. 200k poker, movespying, and wall-humping aren't the reason Steam was mostly a flop. There are some pretty steep barriers to entry into ypp that need to be addressed. If there are any fixes that should happen before ypp is released on tablet, it's those that would make ypp more new-player-friendly.

Agreed. Poker was never the problem. It may be a part of the problem as to why people who've played the game for awhile retire, but it isn't the problem as far as I see with the game. I think there is something to be said about the lack of new content, but there was an ocean merge and a new puzzle added within the year.

The real problem is the barrier to entry like you said. The game isn't very new player friendly, but for the life of me I don't know what YPP can do about it as my personal feeling is that most of the problems stem from very bad leadership.

There are too many captains that shouldn't be captains, too many SOs that shouldn't be SOs, too many FOs...well you get the picture. Imagine a new player getting recruited heavily at the inn (I've actually seen people offering to pay people to join their crew) by some chump who is only interested in having #1 crew fame status and being promoted to officer (Why not? The captain has only slightly better stats after all) immediately, being jobbed onto pillages with people who have no business leading a pillage, being ordered around and insulted left and right, or going onto the NB and seeing that almost every ship on the NB is hiring, but not for them. Going to the inn, being spammed incessantly to buy things, then when the greenie tries to being laughed at because the offer was too low. Having almost no one on the ocean to turn to for guidance on where to go and what to do. After a few days of that, I think any sane person would quit the game. And YPP has lost yet one more greenie.

I never got to participate in the adventure stuff, but one thing I think would help is some sort of quest game to learn some of the basic skills needed in the game that is actually fun (not the lame mission system that is in place.) Ideally, it would be something in which they start out alone, but by the time they finish, they would be joined with other pirates in a pillage. To get them used to the idea.

The best crews and flags I've been in have always held strict rules for promotion, been active in training and helping new pirates, and encouraged puzzle participation as much as possible not just through words, but actions. They've had strict rules on how pirates treat each other as well and maintain an active and lively chat. Not coincidentally, those crews tended to keep new pirates and eventually work them into leadership positions. But for every crew like that, there are 10-20 that treat new pirates like dirt. Maybe not in words, but rather by not being a guide within the game.
Lukineight
Captain of The Stoic Vikings
Prince of Illuminatti
[Feb 22, 2013 12:13:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Karnisov

Striderrs wrote: 
It's not silly considering these problems have been around for years now. An influx of players means nothing if the same issues persist that drive away older experienced players.

EDIT: Let me put it this way; The game is in the same exact state it was when it was released on Steam. How did that work out?

good to see you again, and yup, you're 100% correct about tablet client being yet another misdirected effort.

please take a min to add your voice over in cleaver's discussion so that i'm not the only objective person over there. it's hard to make oneself heard over all the OOO fanboys that fill that forum.
Karnisov
flinging poo on the forums because its more fun than playing your broken game
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Karnisov at Feb 22, 2013 12:57:38 PM]
[Feb 22, 2013 12:56:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Aethera21

I'm pretty objective, but I find that if you don't start your posts in that forum with an "ooh shiny" they just ignore it.

The funny thing about the barrier to entry that's being described (and to which I agree) is that it applies so much less on Cerulean, and yet, no new pirates. Sure, we have some silly, useless captains, but many fewer. Put some pirates on Cerulean, and they're far more likely to meet a useful pirate. Of course, flood us with greenies and eventually we'll have more green captains running around, but it would take a while to tip the balance. And it might help with retention, even if folks eventually move to the dub oceans after we train 'em up.
Aethera of Cobalt Cerulean
Princess of Maniacal Menagerie
Blockade staff on any ocean
[Feb 22, 2013 6:23:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
marundel

The barriers to entry are as described above - no doubt about it. But the comment that we'd be happy to help out new pirates on Cerulean if we only had some sent to us is also salient.

On a completely different tack, and at the risk of repeating myself, I often find myself comparing YPP to other pirate games I play, and often wonder why those other games seem to be so much more satisfying to play. Here are a few thoughts - some of which I have raised before in other threads:

- it's possible to include poker without making it a main play item. In another pirate game I play, poker is always available, and always low-stakes... as a diversion rather than as a major portion of the game.

- the ability to solo any sized ship, including frigates and ships of the line, cannot be overrated. I can log in over there, jump on my own frigate, go out and kill a bunch of EITC ships and collect the bounties, port, divvy, and log off - 15-30 minutes of exciting gameplay anytime of the day vs. 30-60 minutes sitting in port with a jobber light on waiting for the SMH to enter so I can actually get a jobber.

- payouts that are proportionally the same regardless of how many people I have on board. In other words, if I am solo, I make 100 gold. If there are three people with me, each of us makes 100 gold. Simple, effective, fun.

- quests, where the results of one set up the beginning of another... some that can be done solo and some that require teaming - making it necessary to make friends to advance in that part of the gameplay.

- ways to actually contact total strangers in game to get them to assist you on the quests.

In short, whether I have 10 minutes or 4 hours, I can log in over there and enjoy the gameplay I am in the mood for... no waiting, no losing money on successful engagements, and no having to deal with people those times I prefer to be playing alone. That's what I long for in YPP...
Pizzahutpete on the Cerulean Ocean
Prince, Super Awesomeness
SO, Boochin' Drunks

Pizzahutpete everywhere, thanks to the merge
[Feb 23, 2013 6:48:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.thehomebrewstore.com    meadbrewer [Link]  Go to top 
Quitex

Sid omgggg
Quitex, everywhere, mainly Ice.
Monarch of Cows
Joly wrote: 
Someone asked why Quitex would do this as a rogue. All I can say is, well, he's QUITEX! No one knows what he will do next, ESPECIALLY Quitex.

[Feb 26, 2013 1:14:43 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Frostvein

I do like this idea. I actually quit for a year on a previous account because I got sick and tired of spending 30 minutes in port trying to Load up a ship for a pillage when it used to take less than half that time. Although will this stop jobbers all together as every man and his dog can run off and do there only pillage making potentially more than jobbing?
[Feb 26, 2013 9:04:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates