• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Locked
Total posts in this thread: 293
Posts: 293   Pages: 10   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 33261 times and has 292 replies Next Thread
Cleaver
Captain

Puzzle Pirates Tablet announcement discussion

A discussion and question thread for the announcement of Puzzle Pirates on tablet devices!
----------------------------------------
[Edit 3 times, last edit by Cleaver at Feb 21, 2013 2:41:43 PM]
[Feb 21, 2013 2:31:41 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
randomact

Re: Placeholder!

I'm glad to see you're looking at ways to potentially get some extra players to the game with the tablet devices, but my main concern with this is the pushback of the kraken. People have been hoping for something big since it was first mentioned in October(?), and it's looking like it won't be out until late this year, at the earliest.

Will be interesting to see how the game works on tablet devices, however.
Edit: My main concern is that a lot of people only play games on their tablet when they have a bit of free time, say 10-15 minutes. This could lead to more leavers mid-battle on voyages, which would end up being detrimental to the game. Has any thought been given on how to get around that?
Loathe/Forever.

Cremate tells ye, "i think i just broke my hymen"
[Edit 1 times, last edit by randomact at Feb 21, 2013 2:45:56 PM]
[Feb 21, 2013 2:41:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
upgrade431

Will this just be the tablet or items such as the iPhone?
-Upgradde on Cerulean and Emerald Ocean

-My words are my own, and are not a representation of others.
[Feb 21, 2013 2:42:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Twittly

This is good. Real good.

Glad to see YPP doing something that will benefit us as players and them as a company at the same time. I am excited to see how they do it.
~Twittly~ on "Sage" "Emerald" Ocean
Check out my gallery of other avatars
[Feb 21, 2013 2:43:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Twittly

Will this just be the tablet or items such as the iPhone?

I believe it appears to be just for tablets because of they way he referred to the devices just as tablets. However, I HOPE I am WRONG and they do something for smartphones. ;D

Sorry for double post >.>
[Feb 21, 2013 2:45:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Plunderville

Re: Puzzle Pirates Tablet announcement discussion

Sweet!

edited to take out question that was answered in the announcement, which apparently I didn't read very well. XD
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Plunderville at Feb 21, 2013 2:53:54 PM]
[Feb 21, 2013 2:52:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
jennygalaxy

This is really REALLY awesome! I've been dreaming of playing puzzle pirates on my tablet and its coming true! Can't wait to do some touch screen billing. Thanks Cleaver!
Jennygalaxy, formally Cobalt, now Meridian Ocean.
[Feb 21, 2013 3:00:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    jennylikesgalaxy [Link]  Go to top 
Jeriannah

I like this. I see a lot of puzzles that are less time intensive getting some more play.

Also, it gives me another way to sucker RL friends into playing, which is always a good thing.

As far as pushing back other projects, I'd rather see them working now to keep up with current technology (including the shift to tablet entertainment), and fine tuning that, and then going back to development.
Anothersneak & Sneakysalt on Cerulean
---
I collect Guppy sloops. Send me a /tell or PM.

Avatar by Tilinka - a present from Arryarrwoot! :D
[Feb 21, 2013 3:05:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Twittly

As far as pushing back other projects, I'd rather see them working now to keep up with current technology (including the shift to tablet entertainment), and fine tuning that, and then going back to development.

I somewhat disagree with this. Making YPP work on the tablet will be pointless if the content does not look enticing.

On a second note, them creating a tablet version of YPP requires them to reprogram some stuff, which could be used to improve upon the desktop version.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Twittly at Feb 21, 2013 3:09:52 PM]
[Feb 21, 2013 3:09:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wrs1864b

This sounds great!

One of the great advantages of Puzzle Pirates is that, compared to most MMORPGs, it is pretty light weight. You don't need a huge screen with a screaming graphics card.

I recently made a comment about how Puzzle Pirates is as fun now as it was two years ago, and I meant it in a positive way. It is still fun. Poker is also as much fun as it was 100 years ago. If you like Puzzles and being a pirate, YPP is great. If you like to be social, you can, if you like to play solo, things are a little more limited, but there is still a huge amount of things to do.

One thing that isn't quite clear to me from the announcement is will people on desktops be interacting with people on tablets? It almost sounds like you can use the same ships and such, but you can't use the same pirate and all the pirates on a given ship will be either tablet or desktop. I could see how this could make the scoring curves more fair, but it could also cause a lot of confusion.

Can someone clear this up?

As far as the Kraken and such being pushed back, I'm ok with this. I'd rather see a busier ocean than new content. Sometimes you can't have everything.
Algol can not assert the truth of all statements in this post and still be consistent.
[Feb 21, 2013 3:09:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Twittly

This sounds great!

One of the great advantages of Puzzle Pirates is that, compared to most MMORPGs, it is pretty light weight. You don't need a huge screen with a screaming graphics card.

I recently made a comment about how Puzzle Pirates is as fun now as it was two years ago, and I meant it in a positive way. It is still fun. Poker is also as much fun as it was 100 years ago. If you like Puzzles and being a pirate, YPP is great. If you like to be social, you can, if you like to play solo, things are a little more limited, but there is still a huge amount of things to do.

One thing that isn't quite clear to me from the announcement is will people on desktops be interacting with people on tablets? It almost sounds like you can use the same ships and such, but you can't use the same pirate and all the pirates on a given ship will be either tablet or desktop. I could see how this could make the scoring curves more fair, but it could also cause a lot of confusion.

Can someone clear this up?

As far as the Kraken and such being pushed back, I'm ok with this. I'd rather see a busier ocean than new content. Sometimes you can't have everything.

From what I got from Clever's post, is that tablet people and desktop people will be on the same playing grounds. A ship can have tablet players and desktop players.
[Feb 21, 2013 3:11:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dylan

Tablets are ruining the game!

Awesometastic news!
[Feb 21, 2013 3:20:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cleaver
Captain

A couple of quick answers:

- We would love to have a phone version but the challenge of fitting PP into the small screen format is very significant. Fortunately the technological base we're laying down with the tablet version will allow us to consider our options for a phone version in the future.

- Related, it's worth noting that industry data indicates that tablet gameplay sessions are more like what we see on PP generally (~30 mins+) vs. the shorter and more interrupted session times on phones.

- The tablet version is the full game and players will be intermingled with desktop players. We may distinguish them with a name color, icon or other marking, depending, but they can do everything a desktop player can. Chat is obviously the biggest weakness with a virtual keyboard, but it works just fine.
[Feb 21, 2013 3:21:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
PhantomNuke

Tablets are ruining the game!

*rolls eyes*

Too soon!
Game Design: A place to hide all your posts from OOO employees.
[Feb 21, 2013 3:23:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Aloyicious

I've always thought that the more social aspects of the game could be accommodated on a tablet (or smart phone) without adversely affecting stats and the like. Sitting in the Inn, or on the dock - playing cards, managing shops and stalls - none of those activities need a full computer to do.
Lillythanne, Aloyicious, and Suzysunshine - mostly on Emerald

Other oceans by request...

and yes - that is my bike...
[Feb 21, 2013 3:29:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Penguinbr

Answer me thiis!
When you guys says "tablet", that means Only Android, Only Ipads, or both of em?
Penguinbr
I don't know you, but I think I hate you

"Decennium says, "I clearly read: Penguin brat lol"
[Feb 21, 2013 3:29:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Runescapien

I know this could be in the distant future somewhere, but do you plan on releasing this for the more common tablet OS-es or targeting one eg. android or iOS
Longshot of the Meridian ocean
I used to record patching
No, I don't play runescape
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Runescapien at Feb 21, 2013 3:31:13 PM]
[Feb 21, 2013 3:30:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cleaver
Captain

- We are hoping to release on iPad and Android!
[Feb 21, 2013 3:34:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
Iiannya

I am hoping that when you mean tablets you are including kindle fires in this. I would love to be able to play pp on my fire in my bedroom when I am sick or something and can not make it to my desktop.
[Feb 21, 2013 3:36:43 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Twittly

Thanks for a response Cleaver!

For a suggestion on the smartphones, I have always envisioned (for a few years now) a chat service for the phone. The app doesn't actually play the game, but you can talk to all your online heartys, crew mates, and anyone else that is online. (Would have to /w them or something similar to see if they are online.)

Also, will there be people needed for bug testing...? If so, send me a PM and we can talk a bit.
[Feb 21, 2013 3:38:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Scaramanger

This is great news. I've been waiting hoping for this kind of announcement for ages!

I've actually decided against using my iPad many times because I can't play PP on it, and have regarded it as a slightly inferior device because of that but hopefully this will change all that for many players.

At the moment, the only choice for PP on the go is a laptop, and they're a bit heavy and awkward for a lot of people, so PP on tablets makes so much sense. It will definitely bring more players to the game once it appears in App Stores.
[Feb 21, 2013 3:38:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Aethera21

Interesting and welcome news.

My biggest question is: when? The Kraken was initially teased almost a year ago, if I recall correctly (I see an April 2012 mention by Eightycats). Are we looking at Tablet Puzzle Pirates in 2013? Are you going to release functionality in stages?

ETA: Beta testing is a good idea...hopefully you'll open a beta to existing players?
Aethera of Cobalt Cerulean
Princess of Maniacal Menagerie
Blockade staff on any ocean
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Aethera21 at Feb 21, 2013 3:50:52 PM]
[Feb 21, 2013 3:46:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Eurydice
Community Manager

Hi, all. A wee note: off-topic posts will get deleted.

And now, back to tablety goodness!
Sigismundo tells you, "Ask not for whom the tiny violin shrills. It shrills for thee."
[Feb 21, 2013 3:49:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.guildcafe.com/member/Eurydice [Link]  Go to top 
Twittly

My biggest question is: when? The Kraken was initially teased almost a year ago, if I recall correctly (I see an April 2012 mention by Eightycats). Are we looking at Tablet Puzzle Pirates in 2013? Are you going to release functionality in stages?

I believe first notice of the Kraken was in October. Can I see a link to this April thingy? :o
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Twittly at Feb 21, 2013 3:55:18 PM]
[Feb 21, 2013 3:54:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
PhantomNuke

Would OOO be interested in player research into what can and cannot fit onto a small screen?

Any chance of the developers seeking more feedback from players, in this particular case when it comes to layout / UI elements, but also in general?
Game Design: A place to hide all your posts from OOO employees.
[Feb 21, 2013 3:54:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
burnout5480

This is fantastic news. With the growing popularity of tablets and mobile game playing and such, this will greatly benefit the game and should help to increase player base if marketed properly. Great to see the developers bringing something like this to the game.
Biffledude of Meridian
Senior Officer of Immaturely Spamming
Prince of Ball So Hard
[Feb 21, 2013 3:55:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
GreatBob

Fantastic! New and pioneering developments will certainly bring in a lot of new players! A few quick questions before I get into the thick of it:
Which OS(s) is Y!PP going to support?
What payment models will be available for tablet players?
Which ocean(s) will they be channeled to? What will the approximate ratios be?

Now into the thick of it:

With so many potential new players, and the development team's focus being put onto balancing the game between tablet users and desktop users (tablet users are stealing our familiars!!!), now should be the perfect time to review the new player experience. After all, these new players would be a waste if the best possible facilities for keeping them around aren't available! As such, I again present you with my list of suggestions originally located here.

1) Rotation of spawning ocean.
- Spawns of new players would be directed to one ocean at a time, allowing for a more scheduled approach to greenies. Experienced players would know that on the spawn day, they should only /duty if they are prepared to deal with absolute beginners. Let's face it; the questions players ask will drastically change of the first few days, which will generally require different patience levels from those trying to help them out. This would also be facilitated by the implementation of greenie/greeter chat, which I will cover in more depth shortly.
- A consistent yet slow trickle of greenies does not allow for the loading of greeter pillages. However, if all spawns at a given time were directed to Cerulean, greeter pillages could be loaded and be useful. A few small changes to greeter pillages would also facilitate this, but again I will cover those in another section.
- The following days would give an assimilation time, allowing for actual pillages to be run, with those running them knowing that the greenies coming aboard should have at least some experience.
- As for the time spent on each ocean, I think a 24 hour period is a good starting point. This allows players from all time zones to participate, new and old. The exact details could be hammered out later, as well as any differences on weekends. Weekends appear to be a double-edged sword to me; there are more players online, which would make this more effective, but at the same time there are also blockades. The blockade window on a busy weekend is not a friendly time for masses of spawns; perhaps weekends should follow a 1-1-1 or 1-2-2 distribution model?

2) Greeter changes.
- Change greeter chat to be for both greenies and greeters. Not only does this reinforce the social aspect by allowing new players to communicate better, but it also ensures that questions are answered promptly and correctly. The current system of a /tell to a random greeter could easily lead to unanswered questions (and arguments over /gr), or even fall on deaf ears. Someone who forgot to duty off may just ignore a tell, or the greenie may be discouraged from trying again after being turned away.
- If the above is not implemented, then please at least provide a referral command. Also, do not save greeter status and default to off upon login; someone hopping on for a few minutes before going to work should not be eligible simply because they forgot to come off duty the night before.
- An added benefit to this system is that new players may passively read the chat, and become enlightened about unknown features or see answers to questions they were afraid to ask, or didn't even know they had.

3) Greeter pillages.
- Disallow greeter pillages on sloops. While I realize this may seem to contradict my point of facilitating them, it has to be said that a sloop is a poor choice. There is no leeway with bots, meaning that any additional experienced players that come aboard will have to puzzle, instead of being available to answer questions.
- Lessen the rate of accumulation for bilge water and damage, both natural and from cannonballs. This type of voyage is about training greenies, not officers. They are being paid less, and therefore the task should be easier.
- In line with the above, make less blocks appear in the melee per hit, and start the brigands with a couple rows of damage.
- Limit greeter pillages to only spawning and fighting brigands, not barbarians. This is one less puzzle to learn, and swordfighting has an easier learning curve.
- Disallow puzzle standings for experienced players to move, either up or down. This facilitates hopping around, answering questions while puzzling, and may make people more willing to greeter pillage in general. The fact is that players are protective of their stats, especially as lower population numbers make them harder to maintain.
- Enhance the "Learning" duty score to count the same as a swabbie's "Fine". This could be done under all circumstances if there were anti-exploitation mechanisms in place (I'm thinking about blockades here), though it should be done for greeter pillages either way, especially if the lessened damage as proposed above is not implemented.
- Give a trophy to greenies who have completed feats specific to greeter pillages, such as number of battles completed or spending all of a battle on station.
- Likewise, give trophies to greeters who run and help with greeter pillages.

4) Re-evaluate subscription restrictions.
- When the current model was created, there were many fewer game features available to partake in. The game essentially was "Pillage, craft or carouse", whereas now there are many more features available. Doubloon ocean retainment may be partially due to the fact that access to all puzzles is much easier to obtain.
- Make crafting puzzles available on all days, but only in a navy-pay fashion. A labour badge is easier to get ahold of then a subscription, and gives access to all crafting puzzles. Therefore, the middle ground would be to give the ability to play without providing labour.
- For parlour games, coincide their playability with a "free trial" scheme; allow them all to be playable for a week or two, then cut them down to free play days. A bit more extensive idea, but possibly worth it, would be to restrict greenies to playing each other, or allow other players the option between being visible/seeing tables set up by greenies, and not.
- On the issue of SMH, I would propose free play events that do not coincide with greenie spawn days. Perhaps one weekend a month a server would have its spawns turned off, and SMH opened up to all players.
- Give the ability to navigate and battle brigands with the navy.
- Allow promotion to Pirate without being a subscriber, this will tie in with number 6 below.

5) Make it easier for crews to recruit new players.
- Enable a permission to board mechanic, which could be toggled by command (/ptb) or under the Helm -> Manage Jobbers screen. A crew member attempting to board a ship with ptb set would toggle an Ahoy! application, stating that a crewmate would like to board.
- If the above does not happen, at least make it so a bot being kicked off due to a player coming aboard is automatically replaced when they leave, instead of the player on the ship having to put their notice up and down, or abandon station to rehire swabbies.
- A follow on from the section on greeters, having the overall channel for help should stop the shifting of all questions asked by new players to their new crewmates. Currently, taking on greenies could be likened to having children; you become the one stop shop for everything they need. This kind of investment is hard to swallow, especially when greenies tend to join new crews for fickle reasons, such as pillaging on a bigger ship or receiving better payouts.
- Give a mechanism for officers to see when a player joined their crew. I wouldn't want to see this as a listed statistic (such as creation dates on crews/flags), but there certainly needs to be a way to know about new recruits. Officers may recruit players at a point where others are not online, and giving feedback on who has joined would be a step in the direction of acceptance. For example, the captain could make a note to give an extra introduction to players that have newly joined, or even go as far as viewing the recruitment habits of their officers.

6) Enhance rewards for first purchase.
- As mentioned before, allow the promotion to Pirate. This gives the new players something to strive for and a sense of belonging (not to mention being an actual pirate!), as well as changing the view of subscribing. If it truly is about officership, then make it about officership. Which leads me to:
- Give players something "here and now" for subscribing: a sloop, a captain's hat, and a sword and/or bludgeon. If they are subscribing to become officers, allow them to be officers. This also eliminates the hurdle of "pointlessly" subscribing, as a sloop is a steep investment for new players. Plus, this could be of monetary advantage to OOO; if players want to abuse this by subscribing on fresh accounts, let them. They're paying you more money, and I really doubt it will be a detriment to the ocean's economy.
- The above would be applicable to doubloon oceans as well, albeit possibly with a bit of tweaking. The resale value of items with a delivery fee is higher there.

7) Re-examine pillaging payouts.
- Raise them across the board, not to 2x but certainly increase them. As someone previously mentioned, it is hard to retain players who have bad experiences on ships. The fact is though, that many players who can run successful pillages (or contribute to them by jobbing) are lured to other activities as they are more profitable.
- Raise the bottom end of payouts, or otherwise reduce the reduction effect that greenies have on them. In the assimilation theme I would envision players being able to run "low end" pillages on days two and three, as the benefits of a greeter pillage shouldn't be as necessary and the increase in payouts should draw the greenies. This will also allow for them to be recruited into crews.

In summary, the way greenies go from spawning to becoming subscribers needs to change. Let them have more to do without paying, the allure of different voyage types and being able to run their own ship will work in getting them to pay. Also, their having access to this amount of content, despite the restrictions on time, should enable subscription oceans to be on par with the "free to play" that doubloon oceans are.

Pillaging should be brought back into the limelight! Activities such as CI, HS and Atlantis, as well as flotilla attacks generally require a steeper time commitment then a pillage (from the perspective of the jobbers). What a great user experience it would be to log on from your tablet, hop aboard a ship, grab a station (perhaps add an "auto-find" feature to put the player directly onto the desired station (if free) to prevent them from having to wander around the ship), puzzle for a battle, have the brawl, then either repeat or be perfectly free to leave. This helps make the tablet experience about pillaging, allowing players to get hooked on the game and puzzles, which should solidify their commitment to the game enough that they'll want to pay and check out the other content.

An idea on the side of bringing back pillaging is looking at the enemy AI. When it was changed due to BK blockades (as the old AI was no good for multi-ship encounters), pillaging was struck a blow it never recovered from. Instead of battles being fairly concise when you had an experienced navigator, the enemy plays like the guy that's been maxed in the battle but refuses to be grappled, dragging out the fights and almost certainly landing additional (and sometimes outcome changing) shots. So, separate the AI and give us the pre-BK blockade AI back!

Edit: Question asked and answered during composing.
Penguinpaste, Captain of Polaris, Cerulean.
Useless member of Dies Irae.

[Edit 1 times, last edit by GreatBob at Feb 21, 2013 3:59:53 PM]
[Feb 21, 2013 3:57:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Twittly

Any chance of the developers seeking more feedback from players, in this particular case when it comes to layout / UI elements, but also in general?

I find this a very good idea. I have promoted this in other threads. OOO could benefit from certain players helping out. Of course it would have to be just a few players, but YPP holds a diverse community who have many skills.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Twittly at Feb 21, 2013 3:59:05 PM]
[Feb 21, 2013 3:58:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ribero1966

- .....We may distinguish them with a name color, icon ....

Whole thing sounds good, though I'd personally avoid something like the quoted, so as to prevent a means for any potential "descrimination", should an issue arise such as "Tablet players" gaining a reputation for leaving voyages early.

[Subject to edits when I figure out how to articulate the point I'm trying to make]
Ribero-East on Emerald
Occasionally Ribearo on Meridian
[Feb 21, 2013 4:07:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Xanther4

Will this be a free download, or will it require a purchase? Also, how will that purchase affect subscriptions/Doubloon purchases (if it isn't free)?

I'm definitely an advocate of this, a lot of puzzles (Distilling) would be much more exciting for me if it was playable on a tablet. It'll be interesting to see how certain game-mechanics are changed to accommodate the tablet versions.

Also, on a technical note, how will PP be developed for many tablets that do not support Java?
Wipley of Emerald
Darkfaery's Avatar Goodness

Making the forums awkward and the game more stupid since 2008.

Anything
[Feb 21, 2013 4:20:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 293   Pages: 10   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2014 Three Rings Design, Inc. All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates