• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 151
Posts: 151   Pages: 6   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 24897 times and has 150 replies Next Thread
Yngve6

Re: Limited Edition Portrait Background -Showers and Flowers Edition [Deadline Mar 15th] Reply to this Post

I'm really thankful for your tips, but the thing is, I only use paint.net and don't have a tablet. As well my drawing skills aren't really there and while I can draw (and I mean construct in an mathematical sense) 3 dimensional objects, I clearly lack artistic skill. I will try to find time to change some of the bits and I actually have darker grass stuff, but looks like it's not dark enough.
And about my artistic value. I was happy about a C (3 depending on country) back in arts class at school ;) I averaged on a D (4).

The purpose behind the entry is to make you smile/laugh about the idea. I tried to have the bucket release its content in the first version, but I just can't paint water. (what's bad for a pirate)

It's amazing that you can do that with just a mouse and paint.net, respect :) I tried to make an avatar with just those tools once ... I'm not gonna show you, it was ><
If you ever want to try some different tool, there are some great free tools around that will make shading easier. (sumo paint, artweaver)

Even ordinary paint has some nice brushes, Yumisa made some incredible avatars with just a mouse and paint, check out my avvy ;)
----------------------------------------
Inghild on Meridian
Yngve on Emerald
[Mar 10, 2013 4:21:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Yngve6

Re: Limited Edition Portrait Background -Showers and Flowers Edition [Deadline Mar 15th] Reply to this Post

@gummy: I think you answered your own question ;) Less outlined flowers would be good I think. The flowers further back would be more fuzzy and don't need outlines, the flowers in front would be more detailed and you could outline those. This picture sort of illustrates what I mean.
Same with the flowers on the water, I would give the water a pink glow for the reflection of the cherry blossom and just add some outlined flowers or pedals that are floating on the water.
I don't completely get the water yet. Wouldn't there be some sort of water edge? Or do you want the trees to be in the water? In that case I think the water edge should be behind the trees.

Before you change you image perhaps you could try to just roughly add some colors to a layer behind your outlines and add a 'foggy' layer on top. The fogg will also reduce or even cover some of the outlines.
Inghild on Meridian
Yngve on Emerald
[Mar 10, 2013 4:41:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Distructible

@Gummybears - It looks really good, I want to see it colored :D. As you said, probably it is a bit overloaded, but Inghild already told you what to do with it :p.

About me, here is another one:

Masters on Emerald.
[Mar 10, 2013 6:40:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
XEcastasy

@ Gummybears- I agree with Inghild. You really don't need lines for reflection of trees/flowers at all in the water, the water already distorts the images, so you can suggest the trees and flowers with smudges of color.

@Masters- your images are pretty but I always feel like I'm looking through a blurred lens. I just wish they were sharper :/
Ecastasy of ... Cerulean

[Edit 1 times, last edit by XEcastasy at Mar 10, 2013 7:58:47 AM]
[Mar 10, 2013 7:57:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Yngve6

So I saw some picture of a friend of mine today. They inspired me to make this

The less happy side of spring.
I still have to finish the floor and perhaps refine the tree a bit ... add a hat flying by? So any suggestions would be welcome.
Inghild on Meridian
Yngve on Emerald
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Yngve6 at Mar 10, 2013 12:36:48 PM]
[Mar 10, 2013 10:11:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wuppypuppy2

Ing, that's lovely. And I agree with everything you said you needed to do or wanted to add to it. But those are some amazing waves. Just gorgeous.
I've been working on mine... Is the perspective right yet? xD And the branches, are they better? I've been trying to improve them, but it's hard. I'm tablet-less, and work with my laptop trackpad >.<

Any more suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Wayfarer of Meridian
Escapist artist
[Mar 10, 2013 12:45:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Yngve6

@wayfarer: The branches look a lot better this way and so does the fountain. I think the middle part is still a bit too far to the back. If you draw a horizontal line across the widest part of the fountain it should go straight through the middle of that middle part (don't know what you call that really) I tried to make it clear in the picture.

Pretty impressive that you can do this without a tablet.

I don't know if the pirate covers the splashing water if you move it closer to the front. I wouldn't bother moving the centrepiece if that means the pirate will cover up the water. Having the background look good with the pirate in is more important than having a pixel perfect background imo.
Inghild on Meridian
Yngve on Emerald
[Mar 10, 2013 1:30:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Twittly

To me, it still doesn't really look centered. I mean I am no artist, so I am no help >.> But, I felt like showing off my magical paint skillz... So this is what I think is semi centered. (No laughing please... kkthnx <3)

All you really need to do is shift the center piece down.

Now, please take my picture with a grain of salt... I have no idea what I am doing >.> /e wanders out of The Mariners Muse

Edit: Oh I got sniped :o
~Twittly~ on "Sage" "Emerald" Ocean
Check out my gallery of other avatars
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Twittly at Mar 10, 2013 1:38:09 PM]
[Mar 10, 2013 1:37:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Yngve6

Lol, we where probably drawing this at the same time ;)
Inghild on Meridian
Yngve on Emerald
[Mar 10, 2013 2:00:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Twittly

Lol, we where probably drawing this at the same time ;)

Yesh xD
[Mar 10, 2013 2:07:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wuppypuppy2

Better?
(Thanks both of you :))

And if there's anything else I can improve upon...
I've put plenty of effort into it, and if a little more effort is all it takes to make it the best it can be, I really don't mind.
Wayfarer of Meridian
Escapist artist
[Mar 10, 2013 2:29:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Twittly

Much better!
[Mar 10, 2013 2:30:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Yngve6

Looks good Wayway :)
Inghild on Meridian
Yngve on Emerald
[Mar 10, 2013 3:04:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
creirwy

[Edit 1 times, last edit by creirwy at Mar 16, 2013 7:36:15 PM]
[Mar 10, 2013 7:37:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
XEcastasy

@ Inghild- I luff the sky, I want to shove it in my pocket and take it home with me. Definitely refine the tree, I'd love to see it more detailed out since it's kind of like the focal point of the piece.

@Wayfarer, >.> I feel like the ellipses in your first piece were stronger than your second piece, but alas, it takes time, effort, and a lot of eyeball stabbing to get the hang of it. Otherwise just the second level of the fountain could use a bit of line work, like you had in in your previous background but right now it's kind of vague as to how the water and where/how the bowl of the fountain interact. :)
Ecastasy of ... Cerulean

[Mar 10, 2013 8:24:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wuppypuppy2

*stabs out eyeballs*
*growls through clenched teeth*
Stronger.... how.

(I'm exaggerating my frustration. Kind of.)

*runs away to live in a two-dimensional universe with Super Mario and Pacman.*
Wayfarer of Meridian
Escapist artist
[Mar 10, 2013 8:39:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
XEcastasy

@Wayfarer- ooof! /e hides under a rock.

First off, I give you maaaaaaaaaaaaad props for doing this with a laptop track pad O_o. That's intense. When I first started out, for like the first 5 years I use to draw with just my mouse.

Basically, comparatively, your first ellipses, when i did the demo, your ellipses were just a little off. And it was mostly they didn't come out far enough/flat enough towards us. I feel like the bottom stony part where it recedes into space was actually your strongest and the ellipse felt a lot flatter like it was on the ground, appropriately so. Same goes for the ellipse on the mid section of the fountain.

Your revision you actually changed the back part of the ellipse and now it just doesn't sit as flat. But the rest of the portrait has come along nicely in your revision ^_^

first------------------------------------------->revision

Ecastasy of ... Cerulean

[Edit 1 times, last edit by XEcastasy at Mar 10, 2013 8:52:20 PM]
[Mar 10, 2013 8:51:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wuppypuppy2

Nonono don't be afraid.
>.<
I just want to understand.
Also, thank you bucketloads for this. You're getting a nicely-inscribed trinket from me by the end of this, no matter what happens. It's just so hard to figure out, and you've been helping so much.

So is the entire newer fountain worse, or just the back part of the base and the middle part ?
Like, for example...
I sloppily stuck the middle piece and the receding piece of the first one onto the rest of the second one.
Would this be better than the first? or the second?

To my untrained eyes, the second version of the front of the bottom part of the fountain looks flatter than the first, and it's just the back, receding part of the base that looks worse.
(I'm hoping this is at all intelligible)
Wayfarer of Meridian
Escapist artist
[Mar 10, 2013 9:19:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
XEcastasy

@Wayfarer- Hahahaa awesome, if it makes you feel any better my art gets critiqued all day every day. Even when I'm like :O YES LOOK! AT ITS AWESOMENESS ! My teacher is like.. Eca get back into reality, this, this, and this could be better T.T

I'd rather have someone tell me stuff rather than pat me on the back and says it looks awesome. Especially if I can feel something is off but I'm not sure what, or if I just don't know what I'm doing!

I understood everything you were saying :D

That mock up is great. Loads better :) now just clean up that merge hahaa, really it was just the back of your ellipses were curving too far up :) the front depends on where your horizon and what kind of box you're looking at. But for our purposes this is great!
Ecastasy of ... Cerulean

[Mar 10, 2013 9:27:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wuppypuppy2

Thanks Eca <33
I merged it but I won't show it because I feel like this thread is now a Wayfarer-centric entity because of all my struggles with perspective, and I don't like it.
Wayfarer of Meridian
Escapist artist
[Mar 11, 2013 9:10:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Booful

@ wayfarer no worries about your post dominating the thread (/e is guilty of that frequently) and the fact that you use a mouse pad is amazing! (/e felt the pain of using a mouse till recently and I don't know how i ever survived past the first attempt of even completing a portrait background!!!)
@ masters: I ABSOLUTELY LOVE the cherry trees! your art always looks like you're walking into a dream! Personally i prefer the dreamy look since i imagine my pirate standing there dreaming she was there instead of in my snow covered, slush infested reality!
@ Locu ~ i admire that you're always trying and entering you can only improve artistically by working at it! And this is the BEST place to learn in my experience, everyone here is always helpful and you can learn very helpful tricks and such even with other artists critique!!!! Until recently I used paint.net and i loved the program with a mouse (Photoshop with a mouse is a bit more of a challenge)
@ Gummybears ~ i really like the idea, and what all the other artists mentioned stays true for me as well (water edge, wavy reflection, etc etc). I just have a question whether the water goes to the bottom of the portrait (is the pirates standing in it?) or are you planning to draw a waterline near the front? Also WOW on all the flowers! After having just finished drawing my cherry blossoms \I swear my palms were cramping from all the detail! (And I briefly swore to myself ill never make another cherry blossom....) Anyways (i had a point i think) oh yea, you could try adding the color to the flowers before eliminating too much detail (you may find it blends a lot better than you think !) Also a suggestion regarding the water, if you find the lake proves too much of a hassle you can always create reflections in large rain puddles left by the recent april showers!!! And make the ground more of a grassy area? Anyways just a suggestion! I can't wait to see this finished!!! (hope this made sense!)
/e LOVES cherry blossoms.....

Wow...didn't know i had that many words in me! Anyways amazing work everyone!!! I really love where this seasons portraits are going!!!
PixelPixie; I collect Sunfish, Angelfish, Blowfish Pixelpixie avvy's Avvy by me
[Mar 11, 2013 9:42:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
gummybears9

Thanks all of you for your input! You're all very helpful. :) I initially saw this painting which is where I thought I'd give this all a go:

So I had drawn the outline of the trees in the water but it wasn't concrete, and this picture also probably shows you what I failed to do with the flowers on the ground. xD I thinned out the lines a lot and removed a heappp of the flowers and did all of this on inkscape... but then when I tried to open it with Gimp for colouring, all my layers were removed which made colouring super hard... so I've decided to just let this one go but thanks again for your help. :) (Felt I should at least reply to you after all of your tips!)
Gummybears, Meridian/Emerald
[Mar 12, 2013 2:13:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hikariks

So many awesome things D:~
*sits in the corner of the jealous people* XD
Yumisa World Wide ;)
10 years in, still here, baby.
Can't find me? Im on Instagram!
[Mar 12, 2013 2:49:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    https://www.instagram.com/yumisaruka/ [Link]  Go to top 
Booful

@ Gummy bears ~ :( :( I know this may seem like a lot of work, but You could try saving each layer as a .png file and then import as layers to gimp? Someone who knows more about gimp may need to correct me, otherwise you can try paint.net, where you can do the same, just import all the png files as layers,
PixelPixie; I collect Sunfish, Angelfish, Blowfish Pixelpixie avvy's Avvy by me
[Mar 12, 2013 8:56:06 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CapnKkatz

So many lovely things going on here! Can't wait to see all of the final entries!

In the meantime, I've been working on my obsession with eggs, and figured, why not incorporate eggs with LE Backgrounds? Here's what I've come up with...Ringer's OMlette Shoppe! I hope to still have time to scramble up the rest of the Ringers, and maybe even the retired OMs. We'll see. :)

Comments? Feedback? Appreciated as always!
Greylady, Meridian & Emerald, Greyladyy on Cerulean

"In a courtroom, it is not the loudest voice that prevails...it's the Constitution." WA AG
[Mar 12, 2013 1:57:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wuppypuppy2

I love it, except I think Cleaver's placement is a bit creepy. Winking between the pirates' legs.
Might just be me, though.
Wayfarer of Meridian
Escapist artist
[Mar 12, 2013 2:10:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Twittly

You need a Nemo egg :o Isn't complete without him.
[Mar 12, 2013 2:31:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CapnKkatz

I love it, except I think Cleaver's placement is a bit creepy. Winking between the pirates' legs.
Might just be me, though.

Lol, never thought of that! Just wanted Cleaver to be in the center since he started YPP. :)

Well, was creating them in alpha order - up to Fishheadred now - hopefully will finish the rest - including Nemo!! - before the deadline! :)

"In a courtroom, it is not the loudest voice that prevails...it's the Constitution." WA AG
[Mar 12, 2013 2:37:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Twittly

Well, was creating them in alpha order - up to Fishheadred now - hopefully will finish the rest - including Nemo!! - before the deadline! :)

You didn't get the memo? The new alphabet starts with N. Seriously!
[Mar 12, 2013 3:10:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CapnKkatz

You didn't get the memo? The new alphabet starts with N. Seriously!

:D

Just for you....

[Mar 12, 2013 4:57:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 151   Pages: 6   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates