• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 151
Posts: 151   Pages: 6   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 10258 times and has 150 replies Next Thread
Clotho
OceanMaster

Limited Edition Portrait Background -Showers and Flowers Edition [Winners announced!] Reply to this Post

Ahoy mates! It's portrait background time again!

Winners!

Theme:
This month's theme is "April Showers and May Flowers". With a definite feeling of Spring in the air, this month's theme invites you to use the season as your inspiration for portrait backgrounds. The title suggests two of the many possibilities - the changeable Spring weather, and the blooming of new flowers. You might also be inspired by other events or scenes from mid-March to mid-April - yes that includes Easter! You can use any aspect of these themes as the inspiration for your portrait background.

Submissions:
Entrants will create original backgrounds that are consistent with the theme and style of the game. The image must look sensible with characters placed on it in any of the orientations possible for its size. The preferred file format is .png
Entries must fit the appropriate scale.

1-pirate backgrounds: 348 x 650
2-pirate backgrounds: 696 x 650
Large backgrounds: 1600 x 1170
Expansive backgrounds: 2000 x 1275

Reworking entries:
To update an entry, please upload the latest version with the same file name as the previous version of the entry. If you want an alternative version rather than a replacement, multiple entries per artist are also acceptable. You can enter multiple times for any theme.

Only original art is accepted. You must create the images yourself.
References to copyrighted intellectual properties should be excluded from the entries. We don't want anyone laboring on some amazing art that has to be ignored because of this.

Plagiarized entries, photographs, and other unsuitable entries may be removed from the entry page without notice.
You may use reference materials for your work, but if you base your work substantially on a reference, please acknowledge it in your forum post. You do not need to acknowledge any game art used as reference material.

Upload your images to the YPPedia, name the file according to the naming scheme listed there, and also post links to the thumbnails here in this thread, for comment. If you want your pirate name to appear rather than your account name should you win, please follow the image tag scheme below carefully.

NOTE: Instructions for destination filename
The arrtists have requested a change to the naming of files uploaded to YPPedia for this contest. This naming scheme may not be the same as the general YPPedia file upload scheme, but we're hoping that it's distinctive enough that it won't cause undue confusion. Note that this is in addition to the requirements for the image tags.
Requested format for the filenames on YPPedia:
monthly_yourname_title_the_way_you_want_to_appear_in_game.png

All in lower-case and put underscores between all the separate words in the title (YPPedia will change the first m into M - don't worry about this). So, if I want my portrait background to appear as Clotho's Tangled Threads, I would use:
monthly_clotho_tangled_threads.png

Instructions for tags in the summary field
The tag for this contest is "mar13contest" so that we know which entries to consider when judging starts. The summary field for the upload, then, should be:
{{contesttag|accountname|creditname|Portrait Title}}
where
"contesttag" is replaced by this month's tag shown below, "accountname" is replaced by your own forum name
"creditname" is replaced by either your forum name again, or your pirate name, whichever you want credited with the background
"Portrait Title" is replaced by your suggested title for the portrait background

e.g. {{mar13contest|Clotho|Spinner|Loom}}
or {{mar13contest|Cassopia|Whitenose|Spindle}}

If the name to credit the portrait with is the same as the account name, it would go in twice.
e.g. {{mar13contest|Clotho|Clotho|Tangled Threads}}

Judging:
Quality of work, style, how well the background fits with the game's theme, and how well the placement of the portrait characters fit into the background are the primary determining factors.

The entries will be judged in the Three Rings offices by the arrrtists and the winner will be put into future releases as a Limited Edition portrait background. The portrait background may also be re-used for limited times later, and even (if appropriate) adopted as a longer-term or permanent portrait background, rather than a limited duration one. The same winning artist may be chosen more than once for different entries. Entrants may be asked by the arrrtists to make small changes to their designs after the judging.

Submitted works are eligible for winning future contests. Artists who entered backgrounds in a previous contest: if they are eligible for the current contest, please enter them again! We would love to reconsider them. Likewise, if a background does not win, it can be submitted for future contests, as long as it fits within the theme of each contest.

Prizes:
A winning entry will be included in the in-game list of available portrait backgrounds, usually for a limited duration. Anyone in the game can use it when it is available. Each winning entrant will also receive a Puzzle Pirates real-life item and a pack of playing cards in the mail, a free copy of his/her portrait in-game, choice of Bluebeard, Fishheadred or Greenbones egg or doll, and a clothing item of her choice in the color(s) of her choice.

The clothing item can be any item that can be ordered from a tailoring shoppe without needing a design or reputation. In the event of the same artist winning multiple prizes or multiple months, an additional clothing item can be substituted for the real-life prizes if the artist does not feel like having a household full of Puzzle Pirates Paraphernalia.

Deadline:
March 15th 2013, 11:59pm game time

Suggestions:
-- Make it look like it came right out of the game.
--Get your line weights down, and compare with existing portraits to be sure.
--Keep your lighting consistent with the lighting on the pirate portrait art.
--Choose a scene that many in the game would like to use.
--Take your time and rework, going to others for advice and critique.
--A very small signature in the lower right corner is acceptable.
--In general avoid words - if you do use them, use them minimally, and only when they are not central to the understanding of the portrait.
--Pay close attention to your composition - the composition of backgrounds related to pirate placement is a major consideration and sometimes otherwise good backgrounds are eliminated because the nicest elements are blocked by the pirates once they are in frame.

Other suggestions and links:
Questions, discussion, entries and feedback can all be posted here. Good luck!
----------------------------------------

Hilando las hebras de la vida pirata...
Eggatar by Greylady
[Edit 4 times, last edit by Clotho at Mar 27, 2013 5:19:02 PM]

[Feb 16, 2013 9:28:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cattrin

Re: Limited Edition Portrait Background -Showers and Flowers Edition [Deadline Mar 15th] Reply to this Post

Both of the entries I had for the last contest covered the title of this theme exactly. xD

That's unfortunate. I'm still confused as to what we were supposed to enter for that one then (in the description of the last contest, you included showers and flowers...).
Cattrin of Midnight Cerulean (and sometimes Viridian Meridian)
Avatar by Apollo, Wiske, Shawe, Blakbead, Daeva, Bunnylaroo and Musicologist!

X tells ye, "Stop yo drawing fool!"

[Edit 1 times, last edit by cattrin at Feb 16, 2013 9:49:24 AM]
[Feb 16, 2013 9:47:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Clotho
OceanMaster

Re: Limited Edition Portrait Background -Showers and Flowers Edition [Deadline Mar 15th] Reply to this Post

They are very similar actually. However, the last one included Carnival as well, where this one covers the season up to Easter.

Eggatar by Greylady

[Feb 16, 2013 10:51:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Booful

Ooo a second chance to do my idea i had for the previous one but was too swamped to get to ^_^ yay!
PixelPixie; I collect Sunfish, Angelfish, Blowfish Pixelpixie avvy's Avvy by me
[Feb 16, 2013 2:55:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hikariks

so i can actually take my time to recover the layers i lost last time *huggles clotho* ;~; time to try one last time XD~
Yumisa World Wide ;)
Your Favourite Cookie Monster <3

[Seasonal Avatars ~ The Comeback! ]
[Feb 16, 2013 9:55:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Clotho
OceanMaster

Yes! This is a good time to finish or rework previous entries that didn't make it to the last one.

Eggatar by Greylady

[Feb 17, 2013 7:08:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Booful

/e comes out of background hybernation...gonna attempt my first expansive with my new tablet ^_^

here is a taste of what I'm considering so far...don't know what I would do without a pencil to guide me digitally!
(in case it just looks like a whole jumble of mashed together lines, its supposed to be blossoming cherry trees with a water fall and stream...and hummingbirds! (I had to choose a exotic spring since mine is filled with melting snow...slush and mud...and did i mention slush and ugliness? Oh...and it doesn't start till May...

larger view without pirates
[Feb 22, 2013 12:47:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Yngve6

I love it booful. It's gonna be an epic scene once you finish it I'm sure :)
Inghild on Meridian
Yngve on Emerald
[Feb 22, 2013 1:23:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Booful

Got started on the line art and some of the coloring...but I'm a bit scared that my colors may be a getting too realistic and less piratey. (comicy?) (especially teh rose bush) now that im not drawing with a mouse and have photoshop at my command >.<

Anyways open to any critique and feedback as always...plus I don't know why I decided to make a waterfall...because now i have to draw water...and rocks .>< my artistic nemesis!!! Also any comments on the overall composition of the piece?

full size view
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Booful at Feb 22, 2013 9:54:00 PM]
[Feb 22, 2013 9:53:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Yngve6

If you are worried about the colors, why don't you use the game colors. I do that sometimes, especialy for the rocks and trees.
I like the composition, love the old crooked tree, but ... they make the scene look less spring like to me. Like the mushrooms, I would replace them by spring flowers. Mushrooms remind me of autumn. The trees remind me of winter or autumn as well atm, but once you put in the leaves and cherry blossom it will prob be alright.

Do keep the stream and waterfall, I'm sure you can make it work ;)
Perhaps you could put one of the turtles in front of the pirates, not sure if there is enough room, but now you can't see them anymore when the pirates are in. And they look cute so ... :)
Inghild on Meridian
Yngve on Emerald
[Feb 23, 2013 3:05:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
XEcastasy

@Pixelpixie- I look forward to the results! My one suggestion would be regarding your trees. Typically branches don't grow downwards. Sometimes off to the side but usually at some angle up. Most plants tend to grow towards the sun since they need the sun to sustain them! :)
Ecastasy of ... Cerulean

[Feb 23, 2013 8:17:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Booful

Thankyou for the awesome feedback ^_^
@ Eca, i was basing the trees on this image:and this tree was kinda going for the heavy bloom willowy look...may make more sense now that i drew in some of the flowers... :)

Still need to ad the finer details to the flowers...and well all the white stuff still needs to be colored. My biggest concern though (aside from drawing the waterfall and stream) is I'm unsure what to do behind the right tree between t and the mountain scene in the back...my middle ground is still a blank and i can't figure out what to make there .><

anyways this is what I have so far: :)

large image
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Booful at Feb 23, 2013 10:32:45 PM]
[Feb 23, 2013 9:49:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CreepyKid

Well I usually don't post my entries on here, but I figure, hey might as well right?

So I picked the Tree of Life. With rain and grey skies I always thought it would stand out a bit more you know? For some reason when I think of Spring, the Tree of Life pops into my mind. Originally I didn't have the animals in it, but I was told it isn't the tree of life without.... Life lol so I had to add the animals in.

Anyways this is what it looks like with the pirates in it.

and as a side note, I tried to enter it and I went over the title and description that I put in it over and over again and I cant figure out why it isn't posting on the current entries page, any help?
Kipper on Emerald
[Feb 24, 2013 4:32:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link]  Go to top 
cattrin

and as a side note, I tried to enter it and I went over the title and description that I put in it over and over again and I cant figure out why it isn't posting on the current entries page, any help?

http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/File:Monthly_kipper_tree_of_life.png

^This one? Your tag has an extra 3 in it.

As for your entry, are we allowed to comment?

If so, I think the pink to a bit too fluorescent for the rest of the image. [YPP's cherry trees] are quite pastel.

The fact that it changes from smooth petals falling to entire black-outlined flowers also is a bit odd to me, since flowers don't usually fall of entirely, that would destroy the seed!...I might just stick with the petals.

Other than that, adorable!

[Edit 5 times, last edit by cattrin at Feb 24, 2013 4:58:39 AM]
[Feb 24, 2013 4:50:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Phamy

I am busy with a tulip Dutch Steamtrain background...

I don't know if I should enter it this month or for summer but its fun to make

Took me FOREVER to make this

What do you think? how should I do the shading?
[Feb 24, 2013 4:59:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cattrin

Took me FOREVER to make this

What do you think? how should I do the shading?

Looks like it took forever!

I'd probably not do too much shading on the flowers. The father away they get, the less shaded they look. Since yours are already pretty far away, I wouldn't bother...Although I might put the darker tulips in front behind the brighter/lighter red ones.

[Feb 24, 2013 5:02:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CreepyKid

@ Cattrin

Thanks for your comments, and your help, I didnt realize there was an extra 3 there lol

I originally didnt even base it off the tree in pp, but thats a good idea lol

I changed the pink up a bit, and removed the flowers with the solid outline, this is what it turned out looking like

Kipper on Emerald
[Feb 24, 2013 5:34:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link]  Go to top 
Phamy

I love your entry Kipper. it is so beautiful.

One note... the upper branch in the middle suddenly disapears. I think you might have wanted it to disapear behind the leaves but it doesn't look that way.. I suggest making it slightly see able or remove the branch

Tx Cattrin for your thoughts on my Background. I am currently working on the steam train. I moved the red ones in front of the dark. I will be adding some detail though :)
[Feb 24, 2013 6:08:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Yngve6

@Kipper: Lovely entry Kipper, I really like the animals. The only thing that seems odd to me are the parrots. I get why you went for parrots, just don't think they fit the eastern hemisphere type of scene very well. I you are going for the parrots I would change their color, don't think the red and green goes very well with the pink of the tree. Anyway another great piece of art :)

@Phamy: Looks great phamy :) I agree with Cattrin on putting the brighter red tulips in front of the darker red. Perhaps you should leave a bit more space for leaves in the front rows like you see on this picture
Inghild on Meridian
Yngve on Emerald
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Yngve6 at Feb 24, 2013 6:22:35 AM]
[Feb 24, 2013 6:17:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Phamy

Ok here is the new image...

And I really need help... I roughly drew a tree to frame the side of the picture... but is it too much??

The real tree would of course be more subtle... but I need to know if it fits in there... and if no.. what else I should do with the whole image... because it is missing something...

[Feb 24, 2013 1:19:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cattrin

Ok here is the new image...

And I really need help... I roughly drew a tree to frame the side of the picture... but is it too much??

The real tree would of course be more subtle... but I need to know if it fits in there... and if no.. what else I should do with the whole image... because it is missing something...

I'd leave the tree out personally. A random tree in a field of tulips seems odd.

I think your perspective is a little off. Considering how teenie tiny the tulips are in the far back, the train and its tracks should either be much smaller as well, or closer to the line where the tulips start to "disappear"...Unless you put the train on a cool bridge[or raised surface] .

Personally I might also make two images to enter: one with and one without the train. The train seems a bit out-of-place to me.

Does that make sense?

[Edit 3 times, last edit by cattrin at Feb 24, 2013 1:33:27 PM]
[Feb 24, 2013 1:29:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Phamy

It is actually very dutch... Its the steam train around West-Friesland. A historical line.

I think I will make them both... random trees are no problem... Also kind of a dutch thing... why they ever leave random trees standing is a mystery to me.

I get what you say about the train... I tried having a little dike... which is in the original post card which this is based of. I need to make a better one I think.

I am going to make the tree and I can always leave it out... for the train... I love it :P but you are right. when everything is finished I can see what looks best
[Feb 24, 2013 2:00:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Booful

So proud of my trees I just had to show you guys...mostly because it isnt a monocolor mass which is a miracle in itself!^_^ (i've never successfully created a tree before) Now to face my biggest fear...the waterfall....
large view

[Feb 24, 2013 10:34:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Yngve6

They look great Booful. I'm sure you will manage the waterfall just as well. It's a very fairy tale like scene, I love it so far.
Inghild on Meridian
Yngve on Emerald
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Yngve6 at Feb 25, 2013 9:55:13 AM]
[Feb 25, 2013 9:54:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Booful

Worked on it some more...decided to take out the roses...I will add some calla lillies/white lillies to the scene (they seem a bit more springy to me than roses did) Still need to work on the mid and background, will add more rocks to make the waterfall rocks flow better into the scene to the left. Also still all the shadows highlights etc :) and off course flower petals coming down...but I finished the waterfall!!!! Yay ^_^
Ok well here it is:

[Feb 27, 2013 11:55:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Yngve6

Wow that is some waterfall :D The moss on the trees look good as well. I absolutely love it Booful.
Inghild on Meridian
Yngve on Emerald
[Feb 27, 2013 1:06:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
XEcastasy

@Pixelpixie- I think you did a great job with the waterfall :D not sure what you were so afraid of :P
Ecastasy of ... Cerulean

[Feb 27, 2013 1:51:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Booful

@Pixelpixie- I think you did a great job with the waterfall :D not sure what you were so afraid of :P

thank you guys for the kind comments :)
I suppose its because I have never been good with landscapes...usually I'm more of a main subject artist. And everything is so new i'm a bit intimidated by it all...especially the over all composition as it all flows together.... (Which is the main reason I participate in these events because it's teaching me to grow and expand my comfort zone as an artist and I'm learning so much from all of you guys!) Plus I've never really done any thing natural digitally...(Even my Siren's cove was so different from this one by the mere fact that i'm not using a mouse --- looking back i don't know how i did it now that i have a tablet!!!! I feel so spoiled now!)
Personally I LOVE seeing in progress art of the entries because I learn from them and love seeing a picture develop and grow as it comes to life. So keep it coming! <3
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Booful at Feb 28, 2013 1:10:28 PM]
[Feb 27, 2013 2:06:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Booful

Ok I think I'm in the final stages and are almost ready to submit it as a entry. would love any last advice and critique please ^_^ I'm pretty happy overall :) I don't remember the last time I had this much fun creating a art!

full size view
[Feb 28, 2013 1:13:43 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Yngve6

All the comment I can think of is WOW :) The mountain in the background looks really great. Such a beautiful work of art ^^
Inghild on Meridian
Yngve on Emerald
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Yngve6 at Feb 28, 2013 4:24:26 PM]
[Feb 28, 2013 4:23:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 151   Pages: 6   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2014 Three Rings Design, Inc. All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates