• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 144
Posts: 144   Pages: 5   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 12313 times and has 143 replies Next Thread
Galene
OceanMaster

Race to Romance! [February 22th - 24th][Prizes Delivered] Reply to this Post

An open-format race, because you never know where you'll find love!

Race Time:
You may race anytime between February 22nd 18:00 Game Time and February 24th 23:59 Game Time.

Easy Rules:
1. You must visit four or more different islands.
Only islands you have purchased a bid ticket at will be counted, so make sure as you plan your route that the islands you include are able to purchase a bid ticket from.
DO NOT USE ALPHA or ENDURANCE ISLAND (Cerulean), or any island that you can not purchase a bid ticket from.
2. Your route must be 10 leagues or longer.
Route lengths are assumed to be the shortest possible distance between two points regardless of what route you actually took. Check the Wiki first before traveling, especially those of you on Cerulean where there are some odd shortcuts on the old "Midnight" section of the map.
3. You must place a bid at the market of each island to record it in your ship logs.
As you plan your path, make sure all islands you include have a bidding market to purchase a bid ticket at. I can not stress this enough.
4. You cannot use swabbie transport or greeter pillage settings.
You must purchase or transfer in an item (other than rum or shot) and leave it on board for the duration of the race. I'd recommend a few extras in case you lose a battle or two.
5. Only entries posted in the official entry thread will be valid.
All entries must be posted within 1 hour of the finish time and the entry thread will be locked at 01:00 (1 AM) game time Monday,
February 25th to prevent additional edits/posts.
6. Make sure you read and follow each of these rules. I will not make any exceptions for this race.
In past events I have sometimes made exceptions, but they proved very difficult and time consuming to try to verify. Please don't break my heart by making a silly mistake and forcing me to disqualify your entry.

Prizes:
1st: Familiar of your choice Octopus, Parrot or Monkey in a standard color and 2 gold ship medals (1)
2nd: Tan familiar of your choice (Octopus, Parrot or Monkey) and 2 silver ship medals (3)
3rd: Your choice of one sleeping animal furniture and 2 bronze ship medals (6)
4th: Rose bouquet roses or orchids with 2 matching flowers
5th: Rose bouquet of daisies or orchids with 2 matching flowers

Or... Maybe not?
In the case of a tie, we will not give out unlimited numbers of the top prizes. There is a number in parenthesis after each prize which lists the maximum number of that prize which will be given out - if the number of tied entries is greater than that number, they will receive the next prize down that fits the number of winners. (For example, if 3 people tie for first they will all receive tan familiars, if 4 people tie for first they will all receive an animal furniture.) Medal colors will reflect the actual placement if there's a tie, rather than what is listed.

Other clarifications:
  • Players may enter as many times as they wish on as many oceans as they wish.
  • To help you plan your route, I've put a full set of charts on the portrait ship "Lovestruck Leviathan" for each ocean. You can whisk to the ship from the "Events" tab on the notice board. The wiki also has maps available for each ocean. Do remember to make sure there is a market for bid tickets at each island you plan to stop at during your voyage.
  • If you're unsure if something will be acceptable, ask here first.
  • There are no limits on who can help or when or how, as long as you stay within the rules of the game and this contest. Feel free to designate "Wingmen" if you have them!
  • Ship medals/individual flowers: If you designate players names in the "Wingmen" section of the entry thread, their names will be inscribed on their medals as "<A pirate name>, X place in the Race to Romance, February 2013". If you do not provide names, medals/individual flowers will simply be inscribed "X Place in the Race to Romance, February 2013" Bouquets can be either, please indicate your preference.
  • PVP is allowed within reason. If you've hit someone once, you've probably ruined their time that run already.
  • Ship logs will be checked after the race is over to verify times. Only those who have posted the best times will be checked!
  • When possible, please use custom named ships to make it easier to check ship times after the race. It is not required but it will help get the results up faster at the end of the race.
  • There will not be an events organizer online at the time. It is up to you to start on time and manage your ship, supplies, charts and anything else you might need.
  • Please do not ask the on-duty OMs for help, all questions and potential problems should be brought up here before the races start.
  • Results will be posted as soon as they are determined.
  • Please double check this thread right before the race to see if there have been any last minute updates. Any changes will be announced an hour or more before the race starts in this thread (check the "Edit" section at the bottom)

Edits:
1) DO NOT USE ALPHA ISLAND. Alpha has a bid market, but no commodities to be bid on. You will not be able to purchase a bid ticket at Alpha island (Cerulean) to prove you stopped there. There may or may not be other islands that have this problem. Check the markets on the islands on your route before the race!
2) Added Endurance as another island that has a market, but no commodities to bid on.
3) To add RACE RESULTS : http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/User:Galene/Results_Race_to_Romance
Para leer este concurso en español, haz clic aquí
----------------------------------------
Galene
(12:24:59 PM) Oceanus: Hahaha ur ded on teh grond
[Edit 7 times, last edit by Galene at Apr 1, 2013 3:17:56 PM]
[Feb 14, 2013 9:03:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/galene/ [Link]  Go to top 
plopgeit

Re: Race to Romance! [February 22th - 24th] Reply to this Post

This definitely sounds fun! One question, just to make clear: the winner is the person that posts the fastest time, having sailed atleast 10 leagues and fulfilling all the other requirements?
Enteraname of Sage.
Senior Officer of Poseidon's Tricorne.
Now available in recorded version.
[Feb 14, 2013 9:20:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Galene
OceanMaster

This definitely sounds fun! One question, just to make clear: the winner is the person that posts the fastest time, having sailed atleast 10 leagues and fulfilling all the other requirements?
That is correct.
Galene
[Feb 14, 2013 9:42:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/galene/ [Link]  Go to top 
Yasmi6

is this a solo race?
Yasmi on Meridian, Devilxwife on all other oceans and Meridian as well

SO of Lilith's Perfume
Princess of Imperial Coalition
(ex-Queen of Devils Advocates)

Better to reign in Hell, than to serve in Heaven...
[Feb 14, 2013 9:45:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Galene
OceanMaster

is this a solo race?

Other clarifications:

• There are no limits on who can help or when or how, as long as you stay within the rules of the game and this contest. Feel free to designate "Wingmen" if you have them!
  • Ship medals/individual flowers: If you designate players names in the "Wingmen" section of the entry thread, their names will be inscribed on their medals as "<A pirate name>, X place in the Race to Romance, February 2013". If you do not provide names, medals/individual flowers will simply be inscribed "X Place in the Race to Romance, February 2013" Bouquets can be either, please indicate your preference.

So it's up to you. You can go solo if you want, or you can have friends help you if you want.
Galene
[Feb 14, 2013 9:49:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/galene/ [Link]  Go to top 
Aeternis

It's the shortest time total, not the shortest time per league sailed?
Locu on Cerulean and Opal (and some other Oceans)

Check the Rack at Phakey's Tailor Stall on Tinga for nice clothes!
Locu's Weaving Stall on Tinga and Cranberry

[Feb 14, 2013 10:01:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
BobJanova

4 islands, 10 leagues?
Bobjanova on Viridian and Malachite
Shops and stalls with fair and profitable wages for all: Jubilee, Napi, Chelydra
Stripped/Barely Dressed (Malachite)
Phantasm/Reign of Chaos (Viridian)
[Feb 14, 2013 10:41:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Tasjatjuh

so in total 6 islands if you count the starting and finishing islands? or do they count in the 4 ?
Tasjatjuh on Cerulean

Someone once asked me, 'Why do you always insist on taking the hard road?' I replied, 'Why do you assume I see two roads?'

Avi by amazing Cattrin :)
[Feb 14, 2013 11:15:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lucicafer

Questions:

1. Is the starting island included or excluded in the 4 to visit?
2. Just to clarify: so I may race within the given race time as many times as I wish on the same ocean, and pick my best time to post as my entry?

Thx.
Lucicafer of Funtastic
natural born Huntard on Emerald
[Feb 14, 2013 11:16:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Galene
OceanMaster

It's the shortest time total, not the shortest time per league sailed?
Shortest time total. Which is what you're posting in the Entry thread.

4 islands, 10 leagues?

Those are the minimum requirements. I wasn't going to go hop to every island with a market and try to find what the shortest route possible is, that's part of your challenge here. I just wanted to make sure there was a reasonable minimum. My last race was 50 leagues >.>

so in total 6 islands if you count the starting and finishing islands? or do they count in the 4 ?

Questions:

1. Is the starting island included or excluded in the 4 to visit?
2. Just to clarify: so I may race within the given race time as many times as I wish on the same ocean, and pick my best time to post as my entry?

Thx.

4 different islands total, that includes start and finish.
And yes, you can race as many times as you want. You don't even have to limit your submissions to your best time-if you have 3 races you think have a shot at winning prizes, post all 3.

I'm not interested in limiting folks to one entry, and having dishonest folks go to the library and use one alt, go to work and use another, go to their mother's house for a 3rd and manage to cheat the rules. Those kind of rules only punish honest players who follow them. I'd rather remove a rule I can't enforce and even the playing field! It will suck if one person takes multiple prizes, but at least if they do, they do so honestly. They could have done it dishonestly, anyway.
Galene
[Feb 14, 2013 11:26:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/galene/ [Link]  Go to top 
Lucicafer

Time management related questions:

1. What qualifies as
- start time: the moment I deport / set sail OR the time of purchase / transfer in of goods or placing a bid ticket at the initial island (whichever happens first)?
- end time: the moment I port OR the time of placing a bid ticket at the destination island?

2. Do we need to match market price when placing a bid ticket (let's say wood spawns at 20 poe/unit so do we place a bid at a price of 20+) or are we allowed to bid at any lower than that?

3. Is my wingman allowed to place bid tickets at each island visited or do I need to?
Lucicafer of Funtastic
natural born Huntard on Emerald
[Feb 14, 2013 9:41:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ryujinpp

um.. no harm asking :)

if we did at least 50 runs within the stipulated race time (53hrs 59mins?) with each session spanning at least 10lps, that's quite an uber commitment to an event.. would we get a doll? o.O
Galene tells ye, "I reserve the right to not deliver prizes to you anymore in the future :P"
Galene tells ye, "You crashed me 6 times!"

Ryujin on all oceans
[Feb 14, 2013 10:44:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Galene
OceanMaster

um.. no harm asking :)

if we did at least 50 runs within the stipulated race time (53hrs 59mins?) with each session spanning at least 10lps, that's quite an uber commitment to an event.. would we get a doll? o.O
No. Not this time :P I did that last time and felt really mean about it!

Time management related questions:

1. What qualifies as
- start time: the moment I deport / set sail OR the time of purchase / transfer in of goods or placing a bid ticket at the initial island (whichever happens first)?
- end time: the moment I port OR the time of placing a bid ticket at the destination island?

2. Do we need to match market price when placing a bid ticket (let's say wood spawns at 20 poe/unit so do we place a bid at a price of 20+) or are we allowed to bid at any lower than that?

3. Is my wingman allowed to place bid tickets at each island visited or do I need to?

1. Deporting/setting sail doesn't leave any logs on your ship. Your bid ticket that you buy from the ship does leave vessel logs, that is what marks your time. Same thing for porting-porting doesn't leave any logs for me, but buying the bid ticket does.

2. No, you do not need to match market price. Bid 1 poe on the item when you buy your bid ticket if you wish (most people do-unless they actually do need the item). The only purpose of the bid tickets is to leave a record, a log for me to check.

3. It doesn't matter who buys the bid ticket-as long as they have access to do that on your ship so that the ship itself logs the purchase. I'd hate for you to ask somebody else to and when it comes time to race, forget they need an O badge, or aren't ranked high enough in your crew, or there isn't PoE in the coffers to allow them to, or the ship is locked or anything like that, and find your run suddenly delayed while you're working out what happened.

I highly encourage everybody to do a "test start", just go through the motions of starting a run and make sure nothing unexpected goes wrong. It's less important in a run like this where the times are flexible, but it's still a good idea (and my next race will be a fixed time race, and it's critical for that format to make sure everything is in working order!)
Galene
[Feb 15, 2013 8:05:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/galene/ [Link]  Go to top 
Aeternis

(and my next race will be a fixed time race, and it's critical for that format to make sure everything is in working order!)

Please use some nice times that suit Europeans as well as Americans. ;)

More annoying questions ;)

So starting time is taken by bidding on a ticket, not the moment we buy/transfer non-stock-stuff onto the ship?

If we participate more than once, do we have to take different ships each time or can we participate with the same ship multiple times.

[Feb 15, 2013 9:33:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Galene
OceanMaster

(and my next race will be a fixed time race, and it's critical for that format to make sure everything is in working order!)

Please use some nice times that suit Europeans as well as Americans. ;)

More annoying questions ;)

So starting time is taken by bidding on a ticket, not the moment we buy/transfer non-stock-stuff onto the ship?

If we participate more than once, do we have to take different ships each time or can we participate with the same ship multiple times.
I'll start by looking at when I personally am available, and then from there use times that try to be convenient for the largest portion of the player base that I can. Fixed time races are more difficult to schedule, and the number 1 priority for the OM will necessarily be that they themselves are available to attend! Each race format has it's pluses and cons-obviously an open format race like this one is more convenient for OM and players alike and harder to PvP, which can increase participation, but it's drawbacks are that it's harder (and more time-consuming) to verify and doesn't prevent the same user winning all prizes. So I like to rotate formats-if one format doesn't work for you, they'll be a race with a different format for you at some point! Like, oh this one!

Start and Finish times are by the vessel records for bid ticket purchases. You can transfer the non-rum/shot item before that, even days before if you wish, it doesn't matter. As long as I can see it was on there and remained on their your entire voyage. That's one reason I suggest taking multiple of one thing-so if you do get in a battle and lose, you don't lose all of the item you're required to carry.

You can use the same ship for multiple attempts, just make sure you don't forget a step. We've had folks not realize their non-rum/shot item was no longer on board in the past, etc, and that's a really crummy way to get an otherwise winning entry disqualified. It would make me very sad!
Galene
[Feb 15, 2013 1:50:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/galene/ [Link]  Go to top 
gagund

Just wondering...
The vessel records only lists the hour and minutes, can the OM's see the second part(if there is one)?

Because with this being such a short race i imagine there will be a lot of ties if you're only counting by the minutes.
-Gagundss
[Feb 15, 2013 4:15:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Galene
OceanMaster

Just wondering...
The vessel records only lists the hour and minutes, can the OM's see the second part(if there is one)?

Because with this being such a short race i imagine there will be a lot of ties if you're only counting by the minutes.

We see what you see in vessel records, and yes there are sometimes ties (and we give out multiple prizes then, with some limitations discussed in the initial post). Don't be discouraged, we've used this format quite a few times and you'd be surprised how rarely it's an issue!

I've copied that portion on ties below:

Or... Maybe not?
In the case of a tie, we will not give out unlimited numbers of the top prizes. There is a number in parenthesis after each prize which lists the maximum number of that prize which will be given out - if the number of tied entries is greater than that number, they will receive the next prize down that fits the number of winners. (For example, if 3 people tie for first they will all receive tan familiars, if 4 people tie for first they will all receive an animal furniture.) Medal colors will reflect the actual placement if there's a tie, rather than what is listed.

Galene
[Feb 15, 2013 6:11:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/galene/ [Link]  Go to top 
plopgeit

I have a question concerning the second prize (the tan familiars). If a team decides to pick a tan parrot, are they allowed to choose the secondary color or will it be a tan/tan parrot?
Enteraname of Sage.
Senior Officer of Poseidon's Tricorne.
Now available in recorded version.
[Feb 17, 2013 1:31:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Galene
OceanMaster

I have a question concerning the second prize (the tan familiars). If a team decides to pick a tan parrot, are they allowed to choose the secondary color or will it be a tan/tan parrot?
In the interest of simplicity, the color choice(s) you pick on the entry thread apply to 1st or 2nd place wins for the parrot.
Galene
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Galene at Feb 17, 2013 1:57:44 AM]
[Feb 17, 2013 1:57:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/galene/ [Link]  Go to top 
Aeternis

So I can't ask for a black/white parrot or a tan monkey?

[Feb 17, 2013 2:21:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Galene
OceanMaster

So I can't ask for a black/white parrot or a tan monkey?
I'm afraid not, no. Again-the interest here is simplicity. You get some choice but not a page worth of different if/so options, sorry! Some choice is better than no choice at all, yes? :D

So if you select black/white parrot and instead win 2nd place, I'd choose either black or white as your 2nd color for your tan parrot.
Galene
[Feb 17, 2013 2:46:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/galene/ [Link]  Go to top 
Aeternis

Ok, me again with a really stupid question, but I want to be sure.

10 leagues means that the route has to use 11 LPs if you include the start and finish LP?

[Feb 17, 2013 3:32:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Galene
OceanMaster

Ok, me again with a really stupid question, but I want to be sure.

10 leagues means that the route has to use 11 LPs if you include the start and finish LP?
Correct, and not a stupid question at all. You need 11 LPs to give you 10 full leagues. You're counting the space between the league points as a league, yes.
Galene
[Feb 17, 2013 7:06:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/galene/ [Link]  Go to top 
RaV96

Route lengths are assumed to be the shortest possible distance between two points regardless of what route you actually took.

Does it have to be the shortest distance between the starting and finishing islands or just between next islands on the route?
Qvx on the Meridian Ocean
[Feb 17, 2013 3:24:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Bariole

Route lengths are assumed to be the shortest possible distance between two points regardless of what route you actually took.

Does it have to be the shortest distance between the starting and finishing islands or just between next islands on the route?

Pretty sure it's the distance between the islands you stop at. For example if you stopped at Swampfen and then at Tigerleaf, it would be assumed that you skipped Dragon's Nest and went straight from the LP before it to the LP after it, as it's a possible regular diagonal league.
Kareen.Meridian

[Feb 17, 2013 3:39:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Pixulayted

This question has been really confusing me. 10 lps between every single island, or between start and finish islands. I've been planing routes based on the distance between starting and finishing islands.

or is it just literally 10 lps total(which is a given if traveling to 4 islands)
[Feb 17, 2013 6:18:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
spy_x59

Re: Race to Romance! [February 22th - 24th] Ok, me again with a really stupid question, but I want to be sure. 10 leagues means that the route has to use 11 LPs if you include the start and finish LP? Correct, and not a stupid question at all. You need 11 LPs to give you 10 full leagues. You're counting the space between the league points as a league, yes.

Adding up to Txx's concern; From this i am Assuming its a minimum of 10 LP race that have to include 4 islands with a Bidding system; correct?
Yours Truly
Nors on Meridian
nobody of Meridian

(As if Pirate be truthful)

Just being completely irrelevant, as usual

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/o4BHcMn.png[/IMG]
[Feb 17, 2013 10:25:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Booful

I have a question, do they have to be 4 different islands? or can we go between two of them?
PixelPixie; I collect Sunfish, Angelfish, Blowfish Pixelpixie avvy's Avvy by me
[Feb 17, 2013 10:41:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Aeternis

1. You must visit four or more different islands.

different islands, so no forth and back between 2 island.

I planned for 10 leagues total, not 40 leagues min.

[Feb 18, 2013 1:27:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dunsparce1

Do I put a market bid before the race starts or do I bid on one island to start the timer and then sail to the other island and put a market bid there, or do I deliver the goods I bid for there to the ship? Sorry it's confusing me. :(
Dunsparce on Emerald
Diabetus on Cerulean
Prize choice Race for Romance: bouquet of daisies
[Feb 18, 2013 3:12:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 144   Pages: 5   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2014 Three Rings Design, Inc. All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates