• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 26
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 3301 times and has 25 replies Next Thread
Galene
OceanMaster

She loves me; She loves me not. (A Valentine Parody Writing Event) [Results Posted] Reply to this Post

Results Posted! Prizes have been delivered!

As I was viewing the in game notice board one day, I saw a pirate blurb advertising his pillage with the phrase, "now you're just somebody that I used to job". This was a pretty witty parody of Gotye's Somebody That I Used to Know, I thought, and it made me giggle. Having been enjoying several other parodies of the song prior to this (most of which I can't link due to the language), I was struck with the inspiration "What a great Anti-Valentine event this could make". I immediately volunteered to run it. When nobody signed up to run a proper "Valentine" event those big meanie heads wise and wonderful employers I work for threatened to make me give Cronus a pedicure again unless tactfully suggested I modify the event to include a choice of entry styles.

She loves me; She loves me not.
This event gives you a choice of two pre-selected songs to write a parody for (no singing required). Either an Anti-Valentine Pirate Parody of Somebody That I Used to Know by Gotye (ft. Kimbra) (lyrics) OR a Valentine Pirate Parody of Little Things by One Direction (you don't like it, YOU give Cronus a pedicure) (lyrics). You'll have to make a choice, one or the other! No singing is required, this is strictly a writing event.

Rules
  • Entries need to be your own, original work and created specifically for this contest.
  • You may only post your own entries and not post entries on the behalf of another entrant.
  • Prizes will only be awarded to the pirate and on the ocean listed in the entry post.
  • Entries which are posted or edited after the deadline will be disqualified.
  • Only one entry per person-not pirate-not one for each parody song choice.

Entry threads
The entry threads are JUST for entries. Feedback on entries, discussion, comments and questions all belong in this main event thread. Include your pirate name and ocean of play along with your parody lyrics. Do not edit your lyrics after the entry deadline or your entry will be disqualified.

She loves me! Valentine entries for Little Things by One Direction
She loves me NOT! Anti-Valentine entries for Somebody That I Used to Know by Gotye ft. Kimbra

Deadline
Entries must be posted by 23:59:59 game time February 24, 2013. Any entries submitted OR edited after that time will be disqualified.

Prizes
This is two separate events, so two separate prize lists!

She loves me! Valentine Parodies (One Direction)
1st: Horus jar, rose and maroon heart tapestry and inscribed long stem red rose
2nd: Yellow urn with treasure, rose and maroon crossed heart and inscribed roses
3rd: Rose and grey decorative cannon balls, rose and maroon rose wreath and inscribed orchids
4th: Chocolate covered strawberries, inscribed daisies and a rose and maroon handkerchief (I hear one is an aphrodisiac, and the other makes a great blindfold!)

She loves me NOT! Anti-Valentine Parodies (Gotye)
1st: Anubis jar (he says your heart is very heavy), rose and maroon heart tapestry and inscribed long stem red rose
2nd: Broken yellow urn (like your heart), rose and maroon crossed heart and inscribed rose (single, just like you)
3rd: Rose and grey decorative small cannon balls, rose and maroon rose wreath and inscribed orchid (single-oh you get the idea!)
4th: Chocolate cake, an inscribed daisy and a rose and maroon handkerchief (to dry those lonely tears)

BONUS:
My favorite entry from either group (not both) per English production ocean will receive an inscribed Galene doll. Just one per ocean!
Honorable mentions for both groups may get other random Valentine or Seashell themed trinkets or furnishings.

Edits:
1) Jade and Opal players are welcome to participate if their English is strong enough they feel they are able. You will need to submit your lyrics entries in English for me to judge. You'll be able to claim prizes on your home ocean of Jade or Opal, however. I've excluded myself from being required to give a Doll prize as I wasn't sure how much participation those oceans would have-but it's still possible if I really like an entry!

Results Posted! Prizes have been delivered!
----------------------------------------
Galene
(12:24:59 PM) Oceanus: Hahaha ur ded on teh grond
[Edit 4 times, last edit by Galene at Mar 3, 2013 11:19:03 AM]
[Feb 14, 2013 7:45:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/galene/ [Link]  Go to top 
Xanther4

Re: She loves me; She loves me not. (A Valentine Parody Writing Event) Reply to this Post

Oh yes, I'm experienced with these.
Wipley of Emerald
Darkfaery's Avatar Goodness

Making the forums awkward and the game more stupid since 2008.

Anything
[Feb 14, 2013 8:44:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
upgrade431

Re: She loves me; She loves me not. (A Valentine Parody Writing Event) Reply to this Post

Do I get extra points for playing guitar and singing? :P
If by chance I do decide to do such thing, what so I post in the entry thread? The YouTube link/lyrics?

Thankss
-Upgradde on Cerulean and Emerald Ocean

-My words are my own, and are not a representation of others.
[Feb 14, 2013 1:27:41 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Twittly

If by chance I do decide to do such thing, what so I post in the entry thread? The YouTube link/lyrics?

Thankss

I doubt you would get extra points due to the following quote, but feel free to do it anyway!:

this is strictly a writing event.

~Twittly~ on "Sage" "Emerald" Ocean
Check out my gallery of other avatars
[Feb 14, 2013 1:41:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Galene
OceanMaster

Thankss
No extra points, but as Twittly said, you're certainly welcome to share if you wish! I'd go ahead and post the written lyrics in the entry thread, but post your youtube link with them or in this thread, whichever you prefer! I really want to focus on lyrics though, so it's important I see them written out so I make sure I understand them correctly.
Galene
[Feb 14, 2013 1:52:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/galene/ [Link]  Go to top 
Sensebart

May I also participate in this event although I am playing on Opal? :)
zurück ...

doch nicht ganz.
[Feb 14, 2013 2:14:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Galene
OceanMaster

May I also participate in this event although I am playing on Opal? :)

Opal and Jade may both participate and are eligible to claim prizes on their oceans (I'll add that to the initial post in a moment), but you still have to do your writing in English (for me to judge), so I've not asked anybody to translate the instructions. You can claim your prizes there, however!
Galene
[Feb 15, 2013 7:46:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/galene/ [Link]  Go to top 
Sensebart

Arrrr, thank ye :-)
zurück ...

doch nicht ganz.
[Feb 16, 2013 12:47:52 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Aethera21

Since the song was stuck in my head anyway after reading the thread, I took a shot. Never managed to find time for one of these events before!

Just to be clear, we can edit it up to the deadline, just not after, yes? I may play with it a bit if so.
Aethera of Cobalt Cerulean
Princess of Maniacal Menagerie
Blockade staff on any ocean
[Feb 16, 2013 10:34:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Galene
OceanMaster

Since the song was stuck in my head anyway after reading the thread, I took a shot. Never managed to find time for one of these events before!

Just to be clear, we can edit it up to the deadline, just not after, yes? I may play with it a bit if so.
Yep! The thread will be locked at the deadline to prevent edits then.
Galene
[Feb 16, 2013 2:07:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/galene/ [Link]  Go to top 
xLunessa

Does it need to match up exactly, in terms of syllables?
Or, well, do we get any bonus points if it does?
Lunessa on Emerald;
[Feb 23, 2013 8:07:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Skype id: immaskitty [Link]  Go to top 
Galene
OceanMaster

Does it need to match up exactly, in terms of syllables?
Or, well, do we get any bonus points if it does?
It needs to be able to flow properly if I try to sing it out loud (which I will). I won't be sitting there counting syllables.
Galene
[Feb 23, 2013 10:38:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/galene/ [Link]  Go to top 
Aeternis

It needs to be able to flow properly if I try to sing it out loud (which I will). I won't be sitting there counting syllables.

Will you upload recordings for us? Would be soooo great!
Locu on Cerulean and Opal (and some other Oceans)

Check the Rack at Phakey's Tailor Stall on Tinga for nice clothes!
Locu's Weaving Stall on Tinga and Cranberry

[Feb 24, 2013 12:04:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Galene
OceanMaster

*laughs* Not this time, sorry!
Galene
[Feb 24, 2013 1:56:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/galene/ [Link]  Go to top 
Galene
OceanMaster

Entry threads are locked! I'll do my best to have these judged and prizes delivered in the next week, mates! I look forward to singing all your entries!
Galene
[Feb 25, 2013 12:01:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/galene/ [Link]  Go to top 
Galene
OceanMaster

Re: She loves me; She loves me not. (A Valentine Parody Writing Event) [Results Posted] Reply to this Post

This is two separate events, so two separate prize lists! Prizes will be delivered within the next 24 hours have all been delivered!

Winners-She loves me! Valentine Parodies (Little Things by One Direction)
1st: Horus jar, rose and maroon heart tapestry and inscribed long stem red rose : Wayfarer of Meridian-Especially good flow here the whole way through. My favorite bit was Cronus.
2nd: Yellow urn with treasure, rose and maroon crossed heart and inscribed roses : Tothemoonn of Emerald-Admiral Finius's part was especially witty.
3rd: Rose and grey decorative cannon balls, rose and maroon rose wreath and inscribed orchids : Lunessa of Emerald-It's a fine line between love and war, yarr!
4th: Chocolate covered strawberries, inscribed daisies and a rose and maroon handkerchief (I hear one is an aphrodisiac, and the other makes a great blindfold!) : Not awarded

Winners-She loves me NOT! Anti-Valentine Parodies (Somebody That I Used to Know by Gotye ft. Kimbra))
1st: Anubis jar, rose and maroon heart tapestry and inscribed long stem red rose : Imp of Meridian-Perfect flow. I feel your portrait pain (on my player)!
2nd: Broken yellow urn, rose and maroon crossed heart and inscribed rose : Herowena of Cerulean-Extremely close! Perfect flow. Especially liked the middle of "Guns" response!
3rd: Rose and grey decorative small cannon balls, rose and maroon rose wreath and inscribed orchid : Dexla of Cerulean-Super-piratey! Just a few tiny spots of flow trouble.
4th: Chocolate cake, an inscribed daisy and a rose and maroon handkerchief : Greylady of Meridian- hOWwww u MaAAKE gOOD wrITinNN' aFteRR zOMBbbIE EEEttt u brRRAiNs?

BONUS:
Honorable mentions for both groups may get other random Valentine or Seashell themed trinkets or furnishings-these are not noted here so check your inventories in 24 hours!
My favorite entry from either group (not both) per English production ocean will receive an inscribed Galene doll. Just one per ocean!
Cerulean : This one was a tough judge, but Phaerie took it despite the nose not on her face!
Meridian : Wayfarer, I wish I could have seen what you could do with the Gotye option!
Emerald : Squishat's tale of woes we all understand while chasing our elusive pirate dreams!

How these were judged
Each entry was given a rating in 3 separate categories, from 1 to 10. Categories were:
  • Flow - counted 2/5 of your total score for the event, 1/4 for the doll
    Singing along with the original song, how fluid did your parody flow, did I get stuck trying to "make it fit" or did it feel smooth and natural?
  • Prose - counted 2/5 of your total score for the event, 1/4 for the doll
    Ignoring the song and theme, focused in literary writing only. How well did you tell your story?
  • Theme - counted 1/5 of your total score for the event, 1/2 for the doll
    How interesting was the overall theme? Is the story compelling, interesting or amusing? This category counted a bit lighter for the event prizes, but is weighted heavier for my doll!

Galene
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Galene at Mar 3, 2013 11:19:06 AM]
[Mar 3, 2013 5:53:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/galene/ [Link]  Go to top 
Jongy5

Re: She loves me; She loves me not. (A Valentine Parody Writing Event) [Results Posted] Reply to this Post

IMP! I TOLD YOU!
Musicologist : Self-proclaimed Master Minstrel mostly of Meridian
Clotho tells ye, "I love your musical art, thank you for sharing!"

Avvy by the awesome Velternal!
[Mar 3, 2013 6:09:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Aeternis

Grats to you all. I loved reading them. Now we have to talk Galene into recording her singing of them for us!
Sadly I couldn't come up with something in that week.
Locu on Cerulean and Opal (and some other Oceans)

Check the Rack at Phakey's Tailor Stall on Tinga for nice clothes!
Locu's Weaving Stall on Tinga and Cranberry

[Mar 3, 2013 6:58:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
joandart

Hurrah, thank ye! I enjoyed reading everyone's take on the songs. Even if it did get a very scrambled version of "Somebody" stuck in my head for a solid week.
Herowena of Cerulean
Still Sleeping With The Fishes

[Mar 3, 2013 7:24:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dexla

Awesome! Thank you so much Galene! It's been wonderfully fun singing along to everyone's parodies!
DEXLA LOUISA MIDNIGHT on Cerulean
[Mar 3, 2013 10:55:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Galene
OceanMaster

Prizes have all been delivered! Check yer inventories!
Galene
[Mar 3, 2013 11:19:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/galene/ [Link]  Go to top 
Snowpixie

IMP! I TOLD YOU!

I luuurve writing =)
Thanks so much Galene!
Imp, totally sane mermaid-siren of Meridian.
Superdoodle avatar by Budclare =D
[Mar 3, 2013 11:30:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wuppypuppy2

Imp, yours was fantastic. I miss Mala, too.

THANKYOUSOMUCHGALENE. Gah. It's only now that words fail me :P
Wayfarer of Meridian, formerly Malachite.
Wuppypuppy of Cerulean :)
I make avatars.
[Mar 3, 2013 12:22:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Phaerie2

Oh my gosh! Thank you so much! I loved all the entries and Mr Phaerie thought I had gone quite mad sitting here with headphones on singing all the other entries with their alternative lyrics.

Congrats to all the entrants, the talent here on PP never ceases to amaze me.

Phae
xxx
Phaerie on Cerulean
"My donkey fell in your waffle hole"
[Mar 3, 2013 2:58:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CapnKkatz

hOWwww u MaAAKE gOOD wrITinNN' aFteRR zOMBbbIE EEEttt u brRRAiNs?
I haz brRRAiNs???

Thanks so much for the yummy gifties - better than brains anyday!

Contratz to all of the winners - especially Imp! My feelings about Mala exactly!
Greylady, Meridian & Emerald
Greyladyy on Cerulean
Cronus tells ye, "...it's Hera's doing. She spread those horrid lies of me eating poor innocent babies. *burp*"
Cronus tells ye, "When in doubt blame Hera"
[Mar 3, 2013 3:27:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Squishat

Wow, thanks so much! I'm glad you liked it xD

Congrats to all the winners :)
Hellogoodbye says, "Squishat - Pro rock sinker."
on Emerald

===
[Mar 3, 2013 11:47:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2014 Three Rings Design, Inc. All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates