• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 71
Posts: 71   Pages: 3   [ First Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 8625 times and has 70 replies Next Thread
Clotho
OceanMaster

EGGS! Design Furniture for the Game 2013 [Winners announced!] Reply to this Post

"Eggs, Eggs!"

It's Time To Design Egg Furniture Again!

The time has come again and it's your chance to design Eggs to become furniture items in the game. We need you to design us the most awesome Eggs you can, and we'll be picking out the best designs to put into the game. Note that you have to design the flat square design that will then be rendered onto an egg shape - you don't design a finished egg-shaped design.

Post your entries in the Entry thread here

-- Include your design in your entry post as an image, using image tags .
-- Images must be 256 x 256 pixels
-- Images must be .png format
-- Include pirate name and ocean in your post
-- If you have a preference on whether your egg (if chosen) is purchaseable or unpurchaseable, please mention this as well.
-- You can enter up to 8 designs each. These must all be in a single post - edit your post to change or add designs.

To post an image:
-- Save your image at the correct size as a .png image on your computer
-- Upload it to a website - either your own webspace, or use one of the main free sites such as www.putfile.com, www.imageshack.com, www.photobucket.com, etc, and get the url for the image on that site.
-- Ensure that your image is not in a private area that requires log-in to view. Get a mate to check they can see it with your url.
-- In your entry post, enclose the url in image tags as shown here and here
-- PREVIEW BEFORE POSTING - if the image isn't showing on preview, check your url and tags.
-- Remember to add your pirate name and ocean before posting.

Tips and tricks and links and things:
-- Your design should be able to 'wrap' - this means that the two sides of the design should join up seamlessly with no discontinuity where the two sides meet. Test this by laying two copies of your design side by side and check if it has an unsightly seam running down the egg. Please note that while we encourage artists to present seamless designs, a seam is acceptable as long as the egg looks good when rendered. If you are unable to make a seamless design no matter how hard you try, submit the entry anyway if you feel your design is good!
-- Remember the shape-changing effect of putting your design round an egg. A design that looks sensible in a square template could look strange on the final egg model. Keep in mind that your design may be rotated for the final egg.
-- The scene also really burns out the details, so make the whole thing slightly darker than you would think. Slightly!
-- Keep it simple. The design has to work on a relatively small object, make sure your design shines through.
--This YPPedia page shows the winning Easter eggs from 2006 to 2012.

These links are included not just as a reminder of previous entries, but also because the threads contain a lot of useful information, and probably answer most of the questions that are likely to come up this year!

--Link to the 2012 event thread
--Link to the 2012 entry thread
--YPPedia page of 2012 entries flat version
--YPPedia page of 2012 entries rendered versions

--Link to the 2011 event thread
--Link to the 2011 entry thread
--YPPedia page of 2011 entries flat version
--YPPedia page of 2011 entries rendered versions

--Link to the 2010 event thread
--Link to the 2010 entry thread
--YPPedia page of 2010 entries flat version
--YPPedia page of 2010 entries rendered versions

--Link to the 2009 event thread
--Link to the 2009 entry thread
--YPPedia page of 2009 entries flat version
--YPPedia page of 2009 entries rendered versions

--Link to the 2008 event thread
--Link to the 2008 entry thread
--YPPedia page of 2008 entries rendered versions

--Link to the 2007 event thread
--Link to the 2007 entry thread
--YPPedia page of 2007 entries rendered versions

--Link to the 2006 event thread
--Link to the 2006 entry thread
--YPPedia page of 2006 entries flat version
--YPPedia page of 2006 entries rendered versions

TUTORIALS!
--Silveransom's egg tutorial for Blender
--Adrielle's egg tutorial for 3DS 2010
--Silveransom's 2008 egg reference template thread
--Silveransom's egg rendering tutorial or the simpler 2008 updated version here
--Ponytailguy's tutorial for testing the designs in 3DS-MAX
--Inghild's tutorial for testing your own egg designs using Povray

RENDERING!
-- In previous years, there have been kind folk willing and able to host a "Test Rendering Thread", which allows people who don't have access to appropriate software the chance to see their designs rendered and tweak them before deciding their final entries. The rendering thread has been started, linked here- if you have any designs that you want to see rendered, please post there! (Thank you very much!)

These threads where designs from previous years were tested before being finalized - take a look - it will give you lots of ideas for what works and what doesn't!
--2012 rendering test thread
--2011 rendering test thread
--2010 rendering test thread
--2009 rendering test thread
--2008 rendering test thread
--2007 rendering test thread
--Guppymomma's Rendered Eggs thread from 2006

-- If you want a copy of the basic egg mesh file, you can get it from YPPedia here, or link to the file directly here. It's linked from http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Egg. You can use this if you wish to test your design and you have a 3D modeling program. Note that you do not need to do this to enter - just if you want to try it out yourself.
-- If you're keen to test it, there are easy downloads of 30 days free trial versions of some 3D modeling software (e.g. 3D studio max or Blender). You may need a renderer plug-in.
-- Quick instructions on how to get the correct viewpoint for the eggs are here.

I'm not an expert with these bits of software, so if there are updated instructions I should link to or other useful tutorials I may have missed, I'll be happy to edit these in! Thanks again to those people who have helped in the past with rendering and YPPedia pages, and to those who (I hope!) will do so this year, thanks in advance. This Egg omelet wouldn't be the same without you all!

The deadline for egg designs is Sunday, March 10th 2013 - 11:59 PM game time.
If yours is one of the winning designs chosen, your prize is to get your design created as a bit of in-game furniture, and you'll be given an a couple of eggs in your design and the Gilded Egg trophy if you don't already have it.

Go forth and lay eggs!

Español

Edit:
* added link to rendering thread
* Further clarification about seams. Designs must be able to wrap. A small seam may be acceptable in those rare cases where a design makes this impossible to achieve.
* Rewording for the seam directive to improve text

----------------------------------------

Hilando las hebras de la vida pirata...
[Edit 8 times, last edit by Clotho at Mar 30, 2013 2:30:35 PM]

[Feb 8, 2013 3:59:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
maiooch

Re: EGGS! Design Furniture for the Game 2013 [Deadline: March 10th, 2013] Reply to this Post

Yess!!! *does the bunny hop* I'm going to post the ones I think I'm entering now unfortunately I can only test render them in PovRay and not 3DS so if there is someone who has that one maybe they can shoot me a tell?
Rhodanite of Cerulean formerly of Midnight
Queen of Bedlam
[Feb 8, 2013 6:18:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jongy5

Re: EGGS! Design Furniture for the Game 2013 [Deadline: March 10th, 2013] Reply to this Post

Ok, NOW my schedule is filled.
Musicologist : Self-proclaimed Master Minstrel mostly of Meridian
Clotho tells ye, "I love your musical art, thank you for sharing!"

Avvy by the awesome Velternal!
[Feb 8, 2013 6:22:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Booful

Ok, NOW my schedule is filled.

<--- what you said
PixelPixie; I collect Sunfish, Angelfish, Blowfish Pixelpixie avvy's Avvy by me
[Feb 8, 2013 8:48:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Notsizzly

Sigh. Well, I'll enter the ones I've had ready for the longest time now.

I also have to say once more thank you to Inghild. So, thank you Inghild!
Sizzly of Emerald.

Buying Lexicon's and Ringer eggs.
[Feb 8, 2013 10:15:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
XEcastasy

Eggs! :) I posted up a new 2013 test rendering thread , for those that want a little extra help. Off and on I'll be able to pop out some tests for people this year :)
Ecastasy of ... Cerulean

[Feb 9, 2013 9:05:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
joandart

Eggs! :) I posted up a new 2013 test rendering thread , for those that want a little extra help. Off and on I'll be able to pop out some tests for people this year :)

Hurrah, thanks in advance!
Herowena of Cerulean
Still Sleeping With The Fishes

[Feb 9, 2013 12:03:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Clotho
OceanMaster

Thank you! Added the link to the OP.

[Feb 9, 2013 3:56:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Booful

I have a question for you experienced "egg"ers, when you make a more "complicated design" (not a repetitive pattern) is it better to focus the image in the center or at about 2/3 to the left/right? (hope the question makes sense...)
[Feb 9, 2013 8:49:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Twittly

I have a question for you experienced "egg"ers, when you make a more "complicated design" (not a repetitive pattern) is it better to focus the image in the center or at about 2/3 to the left/right? (hope the question makes sense...)

After looking at previous entries, it looks that the "main" image should be about 2/3 to the right. I could be terribly wrong though!
~Twittly~ on "Sage" "Emerald" Ocean
Check out my gallery of other avatars
[Feb 9, 2013 9:12:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Booful

After looking at previous entries, it looks that the "main" image should be about 2/3 to the right. I could be terribly wrong though!

That's kinda the idea I got looking at past entries...but i wasn't sure if there was a reason or if it was simply a design preference...3D art scares me >.<
[Feb 9, 2013 9:21:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
XEcastasy

You good sir, are correct :)

There is a reason! The 3D egg 'front' tends to face that way. If you move the image more to the left your image will ..'wrap around/fall off' the sides and can no longer be seen by the viewer.

Edit2: If you want to see the effect you can submit your design choice in the rendering thread to see what it would look like in game, more or less :)
Ecastasy of ... Cerulean

[Edit 2 times, last edit by XEcastasy at Feb 10, 2013 8:17:06 AM]
[Feb 10, 2013 8:13:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jongy5

Just for clarification:

Q&A Seemingly bad seams? I vaguely recall an easing up on the seam business during last years Egg-Fest. Maybe I'm hallucinating but,

1. Are seams "o.k" if they are invisible?

2. or is the a degree of seam "badness" given by obviousness in design?

3. Does the presence of a seam make a design less likely to be chosen over one that does not have a seam?
Musicologist : Self-proclaimed Master Minstrel mostly of Meridian
Clotho tells ye, "I love your musical art, thank you for sharing!"

Avvy by the awesome Velternal!
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Jongy5 at Feb 10, 2013 8:28:21 AM]
[Feb 10, 2013 8:25:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Clotho
OceanMaster

You're not hallucinating! Last year's post is here.

While it's preferred not to have seams, sometimes a design makes it close to impossible. In such cases, "as long as the egg looks good when rendered a small seam depending on design will be acceptable."

[Feb 10, 2013 12:03:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Aeternis

Is there a special resolution the pictures should have?
Locu on Cerulean and Opal (and some other Oceans)

Check the Rack at Phakey's Tailor Stall on Tinga for nice clothes!
Locu's Weaving Stall on Tinga and Cranberry

[Feb 13, 2013 11:14:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dexla

Is there a special resolution the pictures should have?

Images must be 256 x 256 pixels

*sobs* I actually knew the answer without looking it up
DEXLA LOUISA MIDNIGHT on Cerulean
[Feb 13, 2013 11:34:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Aeternis

no specified dpi value?

[Feb 13, 2013 11:48:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dexla

If you create a 'page' or work space that is 256 px x 256 px , it can be 0.853 inches x 0.853 inches at 300 dpi, or 3.556 inches x 3.556 inches at 72 dpi = they both equal 256 pixels x 256 pixels.

1 pixel = 1 dot, so by designating the image size at a specific number of pixels, eliminates the guesswork as to how many dots you want per inch.
DEXLA LOUISA MIDNIGHT on Cerulean
[Feb 13, 2013 12:07:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Aeternis

ah, ok, thought so after I posted the question, but wanted to be sure, thank you.

[Feb 13, 2013 1:11:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
XEcastasy

300 dpi is used for printing. 72 dpi is monitor resolution. Go with the 72, your file size will be much smaller.
Ecastasy of ... Cerulean

[Feb 14, 2013 8:19:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Clotho
OceanMaster

Reminder!
For those posting entries, enclose the url in image tags [img ]...[/img ], do not just post the links to the image. This way, the image will show in you post.

-- In your entry post, enclose the url in image tags as shown here.

[Feb 16, 2013 8:51:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Aeternis

Are transparent parts of the egg allowed or is it not possible for furniture to have transparent parts?

[Feb 17, 2013 4:37:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cattrin

Are transparent parts of the egg allowed or is it not possible for furniture to have transparent parts?

[I did some digging.]

If semi-transparent ones are off-limits I think transparent might be as well.

But Clotho has the real say, of course.
Cattrin of Midnight Cerulean (and sometimes Viridian Meridian)
Avatar by Apollo, Wiske, Shawe, Blakbead, Daeva, Bunnylaroo and Musicologist!

X tells ye, "Stop yo drawing fool!"

[Feb 17, 2013 5:52:06 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Clotho
OceanMaster

What Cattrin said, couldn't have said it better!

[Feb 17, 2013 7:19:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Booful

I have another question regarding the positioning of the images in the eggs for the ones that aren't a repetitive pattern, the location of the main "focus" of the picture seem to be slightly (but in some cases significantly enough) different between different renders and people rendering it...so is there a preference to exact location or can they move it around a bit if your egg has been chosen? (hope this makes sense...)
[Feb 17, 2013 10:38:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Clotho
OceanMaster

The position of the main focus is anywhere that you choose, just make sure it displays nicely in game. However, keep in mind that the arrrtists might do small tweaks to winning eggs if they feel they would display better in game.

[Feb 18, 2013 1:04:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Notsizzly

Derailed question. Is the egg contest page on YPPedia just for the sake of it or did I miss something and was supposed to upload them there, too? If so, sorry. Otherwise, carry on.
Sizzly of Emerald.

Buying Lexicon's and Ringer eggs.
[Feb 23, 2013 5:48:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Clotho
OceanMaster

Derailed question. Is the egg contest page on YPPedia just for the sake of it or did I miss something and was supposed to upload them there, too? If so, sorry. Otherwise, carry on.

That's not a part of the ongoing contest, just a result of it :)
If anyone would like to help with the creation/edition of those pages, make sure to contact those who are already working on them to coordinate.

[Feb 23, 2013 7:08:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Clotho
OceanMaster

Edited the OP with further clarification about seams. Please take note that the design must be able to wrap. The only exception is in those rare cases where the design makes it impossible, then a small (barely noticeable) seam may be acceptable. However, this is the exception, not the norm.

[Feb 25, 2013 9:32:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Clotho
OceanMaster

Only a few more hours before this contest eggspires!

[Mar 10, 2013 1:22:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 71   Pages: 3   [ First Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2014 Three Rings Design, Inc. All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates