• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 17
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 4561 times and has 16 replies Next Thread
mmmwhy

OCL Reply to this Post

I think OCL should be brought back to this game, im not sure as to why it was discontinued entirely but I heard rumors it was due to cheating being done in the Bnav aspect of the competitions. If thats correct then why not bring it back but for the games like Swordfighting rumble and drinking and whatever else could work. I for one would like a chance at white fams again and I think others would as well.

Also, Night blue octos. Hint hint.
[Feb 3, 2013 10:56:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Inquisition

Re: OCL Reply to this Post

It was cancelled due to various reasons, a large one being low participation resulting in white familiars being won by the same group over and over.
----------------------------------------
Armegin

Dexla's artwork.
[Feb 4, 2013 10:20:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CustardBoy

The OCL was fun, I remember winning the Brawl portion in season 2. If I was subbed to Midnight I would get the white familiar back retroactively?
The Manipulator
[Feb 8, 2013 5:35:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
chavosanchez

It was stopped because of Ban Evaders and Cheating. The only logical solution would be to only allow pirates to compete on one ocean rather than the multiple oceans.
Scump
[Feb 8, 2013 5:55:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
metalnicka

I remember participating in the Sea Battles. Best competition I've ever experienced in-game!
Panteraa is drinking and might be too busy to respond.
Formerly of Sage Ocean/Free Harmonica Lessons/Tea and Strumpets.
Lovely avatar courtesy of the lovely Tilinka.
[Feb 23, 2013 3:49:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Forumrizzo

I remember participating in the Sea Battles. Best competition I've ever experienced in-game!

Quoted for emphasis
Tomrizzo
Serendipity, Rebel Rousers
Emerald
[Mar 1, 2013 1:51:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Strider399

Quoted for emphasis

^This. Made it all the way to the finals and had a blast.
Sid on Obsidian

Striderrs everywhere else
[Mar 4, 2013 10:26:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wrb03

glad its gone. I do miss foraging for real commodities instead of fruit though.
- Jublain (Cerulean)
- Captain of Knot Working
[Mar 14, 2013 2:25:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
okcorall

OCL was great. I can understand the thing about the same people winning all the time. It was pretty tough to compete with the same team of ultimate pirates year after year, but i still loved the challenge, and i'm guessing alot, if not most of those players have quit now anyway.

All the good stuff seems to have been got rid of or sidelined in favour of frivilous nonsesne.
Hiding down south
[Jun 27, 2013 11:33:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
dalnoth

OCL was probably the single greatest thing to happen to this game. it's what every pirate dreamed of doing when they started playing and learned where the white familiars came from. Anyone who saw the ribbons wanted to be that pirate some day. It's sad that new pirates don't get to experience it. PVP is the life force of this game. Nobody talks about pillages they had for years, Nobody says we'll be talking about this C.I. run years from now. Meanwhile Admiral 24 happened 5 years ago and I still remember it vividly as being one of the best blockades in the history of the game.

Most important about OCL, it's the most prestige form of competition the game had. That's really how you you proved how good you really were at the game. Sure the Familiar's were a bonus, but I personally would compete just to say I'm the best. Now all we're left with on dub oceans are blowhard 2nd/3rd rate blockade navers who talk about who they can beat and how good they are and how they woulda owned my OCL team if they were playing but insulate themselves from any controlled PVP scenarios. I'd personally love a chance to come back to a season 9 to defend the crown in sea battle and rumble.

People wildly mistake why OCL was discontinued. Nobody really knows for sure as I don't recall Apollo saying anything but I can tell you with a large bout of confidence that it was mainly disagreements between teams and the OM time involved in running the OCL. OCL lasted a long period of time and it involved a large amount of people and the time constraints was too much for the coordinator. It sucks, but it is what it is. Sea Battle ran almost 3 months including playoffs, over those 3 months the person who runs OCL is responsible for scheduling games and making sure teams meet requirements. It's a huge time investment and my best guess is no OM had the time to do it anymore. Among the highlights of petty arguments that happened in S8, on sage one of the teams we were playing refused to fight us. They ran around the rocks for an hour and 10 minutes and said they were just going to do it until we gave up and disengaged resulting in a loss. There was also some crazy arguments with a team on viridian who's naver was using a Gun/Rig bot.

It's a misconception to think OCL was cancelled because of cheating or low participation. Season 8 sea battle had to have over 80 teams on all 6 oceans. There were 21 on viridian and 19 on sage alone. Out of those 80+ teams only one team cheated and used Rig/Gun bots in the playoffs on viridian (confirmed) and they didn't even win; they still lost while cheating.

That was 5 years ago now though, botting is so wide-spread that I suspect without a serious change to how the puzzles operate and how three rings crack down on bots it would be impossible to ensure the sanctity of the competition. If you can't ensure the competition is legit there's no point in having it.
Dalnoth
Novo tells ye, "Howtie removed me as a manager from her tailor, my wager swordfighting career is over :(."
[Jun 27, 2013 11:31:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://somethingawful.com [Link]  Go to top 
okcorall

I agree with all of that. I used to be chuffed to just be deemed good enough to sail in a team with some great bnavvers. It was presige, and something to aspire to. You felt you had done well if you were chosen to creew the ship of some of the navvers.

PvP is the absolute most exciting part of the game alongside blockades. Everyone must remember Solid sinkinbg the League of Light GF with millions in the booty, and all the drama that ensued. That kinbd of thing drew people to the game. I was glued to it. It was really exicitng. Now, if you engage a player ship, they run. It used to be many a time you'd be chatting to the opposite navver while battling and all have a good laugh about it at the dock later. It's a different kind of player now. The only way it could ever even resemble something like it used to be is if OOO could somehow intice the older players back. And dam, would alot of these flags about nowadays have a shock when they were dropped on and outperformed at every turn. Would cause a nice bit of tarting to liven up parely too, which is dead compared to it was.
Hiding down south
[Jun 28, 2013 2:19:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Fujiko

Could someone who isn't an OM run an equivalent competition, perhaps with OM support where needed?

If the problem is OM time, that can be alleviated...
Fujiko on Cerulean.
WTB: Mako ships, penguins, Neerie's prize-winning egg (a card suits one,) more of Greylady's sixth prize-winning eggs (the penguin one.)
[Jun 30, 2013 11:05:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cartrunner

I'd definitely grab a team if it were brought back.
Ye told Hera, "eggspammer."
Ye told Hera, "reported."
Hera tells ye, "<3"

Aurorakim tells ye, "you're my new hero"
[Jul 3, 2013 1:53:24 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ilyarus2004

I'd definitely grab a team if it were brought back.

This
Ilya on most of the oceans,
Russian on Midnight.

Hypnos tells ye, "i burn u"

Avatars by Silverransom, Domokun, Shortyjack and Tilinka!
[Jul 7, 2013 1:47:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Scheherazade

If something like this existed in the game today, I would actually learn how to do the puzzles just so I could compete with a team. I'm far from being alone in this mentality.
Emerald: Controversy, formerly known as Cholera.

Captain of Disorderly House and Princess of Agree to Disagree.
[Jul 14, 2013 5:38:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
BobJanova

I was sad to miss out on OCL Sea Battle. I did enter the last rumble one, though with a scratch (i.e. rubbish) team, and participation in that really was terrible. But OCL Sea Battle would be really nice to see again.
Bobjanova on Viridian and Malachite
Shops and stalls with fair and profitable wages for all: Jubilee, Napi, Chelydra
Stripped/Barely Dressed (Malachite)
Phantasm/Reign of Chaos (Viridian)
[Jul 15, 2013 1:14:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
basement123

Cookie agrees with this.

Bring it back so this game gets fun again <3
Roses are red, Canada is purple, I suck at poems, Refrigerator.

Pnckecookie - Meridian

Cheerleader of Coming Soon

[Jul 17, 2013 7:23:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates