• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Locked
Total posts in this thread: 96
Posts: 96   Pages: 4   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 36260 times and has 95 replies Next Thread
Nemesis
OceanMaster

2013 Colored Familiar Tournaments

This is a list of upcoming colored familiar tournaments currently scheduled. The amount of information provided may vary from month to month.

December Tournaments
November Tournaments
October Tournaments
September Tournaments
August Tournaments
July Tournaments
June Tournaments
May Tournaments
April Tournaments
March Tournaments
February Tournaments
----------------------------------------
Talisker wrote: 
All of the OMs just sit around in giant buckets of chocolate pudding banning people for laughs.
[Edit 16 times, last edit by Nemesis at Dec 9, 2013 8:19:18 AM]
[Feb 1, 2013 5:32:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Revelationz4

Re: 2013 Colored Familiar Tournaments

First Cleavers now Dadaos, can never just have a normal BYO.
Ghandii on Emerald

I am Gosling
[Feb 1, 2013 7:01:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Galene
OceanMaster

You had BYO in December . Nice try. It's called variety, mate!
Galene
(12:24:59 PM) Oceanus: Hahaha ur ded on teh grond
[Feb 1, 2013 7:47:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/galene/ [Link]  Go to top 
Nemesis
OceanMaster

Ghandii wrote: 
First Cleavers now Dadaos, can never just have a normal BYO.

Sure you can, if you'd like to put up your own tournaments. I'm sure we'll roll around to something different next month.
Talisker wrote: 
All of the OMs just sit around in giant buckets of chocolate pudding banning people for laughs.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Nemesis at Feb 1, 2013 7:50:50 PM]
[Feb 1, 2013 7:48:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Revelationz4

You had BYO in December . Nice try. It's called variety, mate!

"just have" as in always, sorry not sorry

And yeah ill make a tourny with the intention of winning it myself.
Ghandii on Emerald

I am Gosling
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Revelationz4 at Feb 1, 2013 8:00:23 PM]
[Feb 1, 2013 7:59:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Aeternis

Do we get 4 tourneys now as well as puzzle comps each month?
Locu on Cerulean and Opal (and some other Oceans)

Check the Rack at Phakey's Tailor Stall on Tinga for nice clothes!
Locu's Weaving Stall on Tinga and Cranberry

[Feb 2, 2013 12:47:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wuppypuppy2

If only the red monkey and the purple octo were swapped.
*sigh*
Then I'd have a chance at my dream fam.
Wayfarer of Meridian, formerly Malachite.
Wuppypuppy of Cerulean :)
I make avatars.
[Feb 2, 2013 11:53:06 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
coleman25

As lovely as variety is, I agree, the 'go-to' tourneys should be drinking: to 2000/2500/3000 ByO, SF: ByO, and rumble ByO (non-boxing). The 'variance' should come from deviating from choosing to deviate from these settings, as those are the settings that provide the most fair game play.

And as much as I've loved the fact that the past 5 or 6 drinking tournies have been classic (NOTTTTTT!!!!) it's sometimes fun to be able to play a puzzle rather than just do the equivalent of flipping a coin.

Ok I'm done complaining.
Crut of all Oceans
Senior Officer of Serial Pillagers (Cerulean)
Lord of Art of War (Cerulean)

[Feb 2, 2013 2:08:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
bobdonnell

Who cares what the settings are? if you're good enough you'll be able to get to the finals either way, if not work on being able to use other settings. It actually gets boring repeating the exact same setting each time even if it's the preferred, just be grateful we are getting coloured fams for sf/drinking/rumble/td.
Avatar by the Beautiful Velternal <3

Vsmeifudare says, "hi"
Nightwishtwo says, "drop dead"
[Feb 3, 2013 12:44:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
poelicious2

First, thank you for announcing the schedule it is greatly appreciated.
Secondly, in regards to the drinking tournament, has a piece/coloring setting been determined?
Thirdly, I am grateful for any type of carousing colored familiar tournaments regardless of settings.
~Mixeddrinks on all oceans
[Feb 3, 2013 7:19:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Revelationz4

Who cares what the settings are? if you're good enough you'll be able to get to the finals either way, if not work on being able to use other settings. It actually gets boring repeating the exact same setting each time even if it's the preferred, just be grateful we are getting coloured fams for sf/drinking/rumble/td.

Good enough Dadao vs Dadao ? Thats basically whoever gets messed up by the drought first loses.
Ghandii on Emerald

I am Gosling
[Feb 3, 2013 10:03:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Aiplaeso

With Dadao's, this isn't quite the case. With the solid 2x2 sprinkle pattern in 12, and another 2x2 block in 56, the sprinkle pattern is only two colors, and into longer drawn out games, getting droughted 1 of those two colors can be game changers in swordfighting. You could get a stroke of bad breaker luck where there is very little you can do and essentially be out of the tournament. To say especially with a sword that has an extreme droughting capability that the best of the best should win, its being a little narrow minded.

However generally speaking, a decent legendary swordfighter or above usually wins these things, so to a certain extent, you are correct, but I will respectfully disagree with your statement though.
Ye told Dagnanlian, "carp about his success"
Ye told Dagnanlian, "its a comedy skit to me id laugh the whole time"
Ye told Dagnanlian, "LOL"
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Aiplaeso at Feb 3, 2013 10:10:20 PM]
[Feb 3, 2013 10:09:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
jamesey11

A coloured familiar tournament is better than none at all, i don't mind the sword variance, means that players wont stay within their comfort zones of using the generic Falchion/Scimitar/SkullDagger/Saber. And like Avatar said, if you're good enough you should be able to play well no matter what sword you're using.
Yamam - Meridian

Hurtboss says, "ugh and I really gotta go take a s**t before I explode"

~ Avatar by Scythera ~
[Edit 1 times, last edit by jamesey11 at Feb 4, 2013 10:48:42 AM]
[Feb 4, 2013 10:47:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Revelationz4

A coloured familiar tournament is better than none at all, i don't mind the sword variance, means that players wont stay within their comfort zones of using the generic Falchion/Scimitar/SkullDagger/Saber. And like Avatar said, if you're good enough you should be able to play well no matter what sword you're using.

Good enough doesn't always mean deserving and sure it brings people out of their comfort zone but at least everyone would be in it. Ill use halloweens cleaver tourney as an example friend basically swept everyone tourney solely because it was cleavers, normally he'd lose sets to me or more good plays (going to 10) 7-3 on a rough guess.

I feel it's more of a even levelling for some of the not so good players more than anything
Ghandii on Emerald

I am Gosling
[Feb 4, 2013 10:54:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
plopgeit

Good enough doesn't always mean deserving and sure it brings people out of their comfort zone but at least everyone would be in it. Ill use halloweens cleaver tourney as an example friend basically swept everyone tourney solely because it was cleavers, normally he'd lose sets to me or more good plays (going to 10) 7-3 on a rough guess.

I feel it's more of a even levelling for some of the not so good players more than anything

First of all, the use of the word "deserving" is plain stupid. There is no one who deserves to win a tournament before it even occurred. If there was, some people would be sitting on masses of familiars by now. The one who deserves to win simply is, in my opinion, the one who performed best during the tournament, regardless of his standing or ability.*

Second, your example does not make any sense. Judging from the way you wrote it, I understood your friend simply knows how to handle a cleaver and therefore beat everyone. What makes him less good than you, just because he can't beat you with a falchion? Why do you think it even matters that you can beat him with a totally different sword than the one you're using during the tournament?

Third and final: I suggest you read the example you gave carefully. I'm sure it will be clear what you have to do (and what you (should) have been doing the past days), if you want to win the tournament.

*Although I don't believe in such a thing as a "deserving" winner, I am curious to know what pirates you come up with as deserving winners. The #1 of this moment? The #1 on the day of the tournament? Famous SFers? Or perhaps, (not excluding you from the list of last mentioned question, I have absolutely no idea) yourself?
Enteraname of Sage.
Senior Officer of Poseidon's Tricorne.
Now available in recorded version.
[Feb 5, 2013 1:18:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Revelationz4

First of all, the use of the word "deserving" is plain stupid. There is no one who deserves to win a tournament before it even occurred. If there was, some people would be sitting on masses of familiars by now. The one who deserves to win simply is, in my opinion, the one who performed best during the tournament, regardless of his standing or ability.*

Second, your example does not make any sense. Judging from the way you wrote it, I understood your friend simply knows how to handle a cleaver and therefore beat everyone. What makes him less good than you, just because he can't beat you with a falchion? Why do you think it even matters that you can beat him with a totally different sword than the one you're using during the tournament?

Third and final: I suggest you read the example you gave carefully. I'm sure it will be clear what you have to do (and what you (should) have been doing the past days), if you want to win the tournament.

*Although I don't believe in such a thing as a "deserving" winner, I am curious to know what pirates you come up with as deserving winners. The #1 of this moment? The #1 on the day of the tournament? Famous SFers? Or perhaps, (not excluding you from the list of last mentioned question, I have absolutely no idea) yourself?

If you were actually good at sf oh might know that there's no real way to properly use a cleaver.

And secondly someone deserving would be someone who could beat someone who's playing at there best, not dealing with a shitty sword that nerfs the game making it easier for sub par players
Ghandii on Emerald

I am Gosling
[Feb 5, 2013 2:02:06 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
plopgeit

If you were actually good at sf oh might know that there's no real way to properly use a cleaver.

And secondly someone deserving would be someone who could beat someone who's playing at there best, not dealing with a shitty sword that nerfs the game making it easier for sub par players

I realise it is impossible to argue with you. If you do want a proper response, PM me. Let's just not clutter this thread with an endless discussion.

Edit: Fixed quote.
Enteraname of Sage.
Senior Officer of Poseidon's Tricorne.
Now available in recorded version.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by plopgeit at Feb 5, 2013 2:58:05 AM]
[Feb 5, 2013 2:53:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Robyand

Who cares what the settings are? if you're good enough you'll be able to get to the finals either way, if not work on being able to use other settings.

Why to do that when we can complain? It's easier and it takes less time.

Good enough doesn't always mean deserving

If someone wins something, although the winner isn't the best player in the game, he was the best at that moment and that makes him deserve the prize.

I understand that sometimes settings are not what we want but since they are there as a modality of playing the game, I think everything is fine, no matter what the settings are. If they were wrong, developers would've fixed them. To the "super" carousers: be grateful there are colored fam tournies for these games; when they don't run them you complain on not having them and when they do you complain because the settings are not your best and you know you can't win. That's silly.
[Feb 5, 2013 12:55:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
bobdonnell

Okay, so for those who disagree with my comment of if you're good enough you'll make the finals anyway look at it this way, each setting has it's own skill set. Whether it be Foils, Sabers, scimmys and so on, you adjust to it, sure it isn't ideal but you adjust. All games have a touch of luck involved which isn't avoidable so you can't just go OHNO BREAKER DROUGHT or OHNO FRIES, you move on each player has to deal with it at a certain point.

And sure Dadao is more luck based then most other swords, but you have been kindly given Best of three settings, so if you have that one terrible game you can bounce back. But by mixing up swords/mugs/settings in general you allow other people who prefer those settings a chance of winning.

For example In drinking I'd prefer 2000/4 2000/5 or 2500/4, but I'd adjust and still stand a good chance in 3000/5 although my chance isn't as good as to someone who prefers/uses that setting more often I still stand a good chance.

Overall in all my time I can safety say 9/10 fams that are won are still won by the best 10% of people who play that puzzle, sure one or two hit a lucky run and win it all but it is nothing to moan about.

Vsmeifudare says, "hi"
[Feb 5, 2013 7:59:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
coleman25

Okay, so for those who disagree with my comment of if you're good enough you'll make the finals anyway look at it this way, each setting has it's own skill set. Whether it be Foils, Sabers, scimmys and so on, you adjust to it, sure it isn't ideal but you adjust. All games have a touch of luck involved which isn't avoidable so you can't just go OHNO BREAKER DROUGHT or OHNO FRIES, you move on each player has to deal with it at a certain point.

This is so ignorant... This is like saying a person who calls heads 4 times in a row on a coin flip and it lands on heads all 4 times is therefore good at calling coin flips. Classic drinking, if you have a slight amount of skill in the puzzle, is essentially a coin flip. Just because you win a coin flip doesn't a few times doesn't mean that you are 'the best' at calling coin flips. It just means that time you happened to pick the correct outcome.

I feel trolled by YPP when a classic drinking fam tourney occurs. It's like, "Muhahaha we don't care you have worked really hard to get good at this puzzle, we want to reward someone for getting extraordinarily lucky!" I just picture the OMs laughing maniacally at the injustice.

And furthermore, I disagree that any colored fam tourney is better than no colored fam tourney. I would rather have none than a stick sf tourney or a classic drinking tourney. You are decreasing the value of familiars and not rewarding players for being good at puzzles.
Crut of all Oceans
Senior Officer of Serial Pillagers (Cerulean)
Lord of Art of War (Cerulean)

[Edit 1 times, last edit by coleman25 at Feb 8, 2013 9:21:37 AM]
[Feb 8, 2013 9:20:06 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
poelicious2

And furthermore, I disagree that any colored fam tourney is better than no colored fam tourney. I would rather have none than a stick sf tourney or a classic drinking tourney. You are decreasing the value of familiars and not rewarding players for being good at puzzles.

Classic wasn't so bad for the last colored familiar tournaments and the results would disagree with the above statement.

Also, scheduling is the point of the thread and its just nice to know when its going to happen. Since you know the settings, you can decide to show up or not. Good luck to all the participants!
~Mixeddrinks on all oceans
[Feb 8, 2013 1:59:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Setsusa

Re: Ghandhii's whining. SF has always had an element of luck. From what I recall, you used to use a saber. A Dadao plays similarly to a saber. Stop crying that it's not the tournament type you want.

No real way to use a cleaver? Please. There's a real way to use any sword, not all of those swords work well with the "average" piece chain.

Step off your ego though. I'll give you that you're one of the better players still playing, but for you to say something like "If you were good at SFing you'd understand" is entertaining when one of the larger reasons you're "good" at SFing today is because many of the better players stopped playing.

There's a method to using Dadaos. It's boring. If you want to lose in this tournament, I advise you continue whining to the OM's about how it's not fair that their intent of making familiars attainable outside of the group of "elite" means your chances of winning the tournament are decreased by the sword option. Or, you could learn how to use a Dadao in preparation, learn something new, and win.

Sorry OOO that when you host coloured familiar tournaments you sometimes get self imposed players complaining about why the world doesn't revolve around them. I'm not likely to stay up for it due to the time, but it's nice that it's pretty decent for eastern Europe, Asia and the Australians who generally get shafted in the past. Thanks for continuing the tournaments!
Cremate on Emerald.
Motou on Meridian.
Teacher at SCHOOL OF DAQUAN.
[Feb 8, 2013 2:00:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Revelationz4

Step off your ego though. I'll give you that you're one of the better players still playing, but for you to say something like "If you were good at SFing you'd understand" is entertaining when one of the larger reasons you're "good" at SFing today is because many of the better players stopped playing.

So me saying the Enteraname isnt good at sf wasn't correct ? K ill wait till that proven.

And as to the better players that "quit" alot more of them are playing then you think, you just dont care to find out who alts are so you wouldnt know that. Theres a few bigs names out there though.

And ill be waiting to see your proper use of a cleaver as well n stuff
Ghandii on Emerald

I am Gosling
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Revelationz4 at Feb 8, 2013 9:27:13 PM]
[Feb 8, 2013 9:23:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
bobdonnell

This is so ignorant... This is like saying a person who calls heads 4 times in a row on a coin flip and it lands on heads all 4 times is therefore good at calling coin flips. Classic drinking, if you have a slight amount of skill in the puzzle, is essentially a coin flip. Just because you win a coin flip doesn't a few times doesn't mean that you are 'the best' at calling coin flips. It just means that time you happened to pick the correct outcome.

I feel trolled by YPP when a classic drinking fam tourney occurs. It's like, "Muhahaha we don't care you have worked really hard to get good at this puzzle, we want to reward someone for getting extraordinarily lucky!" I just picture the OMs laughing maniacally at the injustice.

Actually, classic is far from all about luck assuming someone doesnt play in the corner first up, this setting is probably one of the most skill based to a cetain degree, anyone can Horn row clear to 2000 or use a stein, but to be able to manage luck and keep board control/ the 200 point bonus is rather skill based. If you're unable to do this then you arent really that crash hot at the puzzle.

Vsmeifudare says, "hi"
[Feb 9, 2013 2:13:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Setsusa

So me saying the Enteraname isnt good at sf wasn't correct ? K ill wait till that proven.

And as to the better players that "quit" alot more of them are playing then you think, you just dont care to find out who alts are so you wouldnt know that. Theres a few bigs names out there though.

Correct, I don't care which players that were banned for whatever reason (in most cases relevant to SFing evaders: cheating on SFing) are still playing, and no, I wouldn't consider them good either.

Enteraname is good at SF, you might notice he currently has a half ultimate in it. You might also notice that he has Illustrious experience, I imagine he has some idea of how the puzzle works.
Cremate on Emerald.
Motou on Meridian.
[Feb 9, 2013 6:34:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Revelationz4

Correct, I don't care which players that were banned for whatever reason (in most cases relevant to SFing evaders: cheating on SFing) are still playing, and no, I wouldn't consider them good either.

Enteraname is good at SF, you might notice he currently has a half ultimate in it. You might also notice that he has Illustrious experience, I imagine he has some idea of how the puzzle works.

So with that being said they do exist just cause you choose to ignore them doesnt mean they don't.

And I didnt realize we were getting specific. But im sure you knew what I meant playing devil advocates just more fun, right ?
Ghandii on Emerald

I am Gosling
[Feb 9, 2013 6:38:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Setsusa

I'm not arrogant enough to make it sound like I'm worlds beyond someone that I'm not.

Sorry, I'll stop ignoring ban evaders that were once so good at the puzzle they had to cheat in it. Clearly these players are talented.

This thread isn't for this though, we can continue in PMs if you really want.
Cremate on Emerald.
Motou on Meridian.
[Feb 10, 2013 8:42:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
giobb

Ok. Boxing instead of rumble. It's ok since it's bo3 and I won't be able to participate as usual. Just please don't give us boxing again for the next few colored "rumble" tournaments.
Thanks anyway.
Zuao
YouTube Channel
[Feb 14, 2013 6:48:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
RonenOsden

March tourny info plz <3
Cptnronen Born And Raised On The Cobalt Ocean
Avatar created by the amazing Cattrin.
[Mar 2, 2013 10:33:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nemesis
OceanMaster

February Tournaments

Mugs and Kisses (Drinking) 8 FEB 6:00PM - Red Octopus
Bring your own mug
Play to board stained/passed out
One game per match with third place playoff
Who's Yer Dadao? (Swordfighting) 16 FEB 12:00AM - Purple Octopus
Random Dadao
Best of three with third place playoff
Box of Candy (Rumble) 20 FEB 6:00AM - Red Monkey
Bring your own bludgeon
Boxing
Flipped For You (Treasure Drop) 24 FEB 12:00PM - Purple/RedParrot
Standard
Thirty second turns and no holes
Talisker wrote: 
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Nemesis at Mar 4, 2013 6:46:20 AM]
[Mar 4, 2013 5:36:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 96   Pages: 4   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2014 Three Rings Design, Inc. All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates