• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 13
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 6260 times and has 12 replies Next Thread
Jeriannah

Logic Puzzles on Cerulean Reply to this Post

One of the few puzzle types I miss on Y!PP is logic puzzles.

I remember spending hours at the kitchen table with my grandfather, while he taught me how to put all of the clues together so that I could figure out answers. He's also the one who got me started reading mysteries, and with an appreciation for strange British television series, but that's neither here nor there!

So, in the interests of bringing logic puzzles back around, I'm attempting to organize a logic puzzle event on Cerulean.

The basic idea I have is this:

Anothersneak is having a crazy sale - and we don't mean a lot of stuff, either. No, in order to get items, you'll have to trade in strange trinkets that can only be collected from her friends. And Sneak and her friends have gone 'round the bend, so be prepared for a little weirdness there, too. Unless you can tell them who they originally are, and what they're holding that they're supposed to trade you, they'll just look at you like you've suddenly grown a nose! To make it even harder, these crazy friends will only be available to trade items at specific times - when enough lucidity sets in to remind them where their trinket cases are hidden!

==

So, yeah, a trinket trading bonanza to get items. Here's where it's fun.

I have 5 crewmates (already signed up) who will create alts to use in game and on the forums. They'll post the clues I send them, to help people solve the puzzle. For each pirate, the participants need to figure out three things - who the main is, what trinket they're holding, and what time they'll be available to trade trinkets.

When the person thinks they've solved the logic puzzle correctly, they'll contact the alts at the times given in their solutions, to request a trade to gain the trinket. When they've completed their trinket collection, they'll turn it in to me and have their pick of the prize sets remaining.

If the participant gets an answer wrong (be it who their main is, what time they'll trade trinkets, or what trinket they'll trade), the crew-alt will tell them one of three stock phrases:
1. Get on the bote if you want to sail! AHAHA!
2. Rum's only as good as the tiny paper umbrellas in it.
3. I like to climb trees. Can I have a banana? Eek eek!

==

Difficulties I see:

1. My crew is mainly on during a specific period of time. This isn't difficult in and of itself, but it might exclude players outside of our times of play. Sadly, we have jobs, lives, etc., so I can't ask my people to be on at 2 am, or 1 in the afternoon if they're at work or sleeping.

2. Forged trinkets. I've seen threads in other ocean parleys about cheating occurring when trinkets are used. This could be overcome by using trinkets I request from the OMs, but I'm not sure they'd be willing to do that. We're looking at 20 trinkets, all told (5 pirates, each holding four trinkets).

3. Frustrated event players. Now, not everyone likes logic puzzles, or not everyone likes them as much as they think they do before getting hit with hard puzzles. I don't really see a way around this, however - every event has someone complaining that it wasn't something they liked.

4. Testing the puzzle. I have come up with a puzzle that I believe has only one complete and correct answer set, but obviously I need to test it out to make sure I'm not overlooking anything. For example, I might think a clue is unambiguous, when anyone else doing the puzzle could come up with two answers to that clue, both of which fit.

So, these are the areas where help/suggestions would be appreciated from you event planners. Specifically, people willing to test the puzzle out for me would be awesome, but I'd need to know they won't be participating in the event, or helping friends with it.

Thoughts, opinions, ideas all welcome. Let me know what you think!

============

For those of you who don't know what a logic puzzle is, check out this site: Puzzle Baron Presents: Logic Puzzles to see what I'm talking about.
----------------------------------------
Anothersneak & Sneakysalt on Cerulean
---
I collect Guppy sloops. Send me a /tell or PM.

Avatar by Tilinka - a present from Arryarrwoot! :D
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Jeriannah at Jan 29, 2013 2:53:20 PM]
[Jan 29, 2013 2:50:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Twittly

Re: Logic Puzzles on Cerulean Reply to this Post

Great idea! Sent you a PM <3
~Twittly~ on "Sage" "Emerald" Ocean
Check out my gallery of other avatars
[Jan 29, 2013 3:09:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Aethera21

Fantastic idea :)

One suggestion to help with the 'multiple solutions' problem - you can take an existing one of those traditional logic puzzles that has 5 people and 3 features, and just modify the clues to fit your theme.

What time zone are your folks in? If we know, it'll be easier to find testers who won't be able to play anyway. I'm game to test either way. I can always play version 2 if version 1 is a success ;)

Also, I don't think Forged trinkets are a problem. Surely your people can write down who they gave the 4 trinkets to. One problem I do see is that it's possible no one will pick up a full set. If you have 15 people who figure out the clues correctly, and show up to trade with the alt at the appropriate time, how do the the event characters figure out who to talk to first? And what if all the characters don't pick the same people to trade with? With only 4 trinkets each, that might be an issue.
Aethera of Cobalt Cerulean
Princess of Maniacal Menagerie
Blockade staff on any ocean
[Jan 29, 2013 4:30:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jeriannah

I did take a base puzzle from a logic puzzle, and modify it for my needs. Still, with the changes in clues (to adjust for the modified categories), I want to make sure it makes sense.

We're mostly in Pirate Standard Time.

Very good point, on both counts, regarding the forged trinkets. I could always just have them buy the correct trinket and record who they gave it to, so I can reimburse the cost. That would also resolve the issue of what to do if someone can't collect the full set - people keep trying until they get the full set.

And even after all four main prize sets are given out, people could PM me or find me with their answers for a chance at a smaller prize (poe, standard sloops, etc.). This would also, partially, resolve the different time zones. People could choose to play just on the forums, knowing they're playing for a smaller prize.

Do you think that's a better adjustment?

Fantastic idea :)

One suggestion to help with the 'multiple solutions' problem - you can take an existing one of those traditional logic puzzles that has 5 people and 3 features, and just modify the clues to fit your theme.

What time zone are your folks in? If we know, it'll be easier to find testers who won't be able to play anyway. I'm game to test either way. I can always play version 2 if version 1 is a success ;)

Also, I don't think Forged trinkets are a problem. Surely your people can write down who they gave the 4 trinkets to. One problem I do see is that it's possible no one will pick up a full set. If you have 15 people who figure out the clues correctly, and show up to trade with the alt at the appropriate time, how do the the event characters figure out who to talk to first? And what if all the characters don't pick the same people to trade with? With only 4 trinkets each, that might be an issue.

---

[Jan 29, 2013 5:00:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Aethera21

I think that makes a lot of sense.

If you weren't on US time I was going to offer to help spread out your time zones, but I'm Eastern US so I don't help much, heh.

Let me know when you're ready for testing. I can't wait to see this in action - I love logic puzzles!
Aethera of Cobalt Cerulean
Princess of Maniacal Menagerie
Blockade staff on any ocean
[Jan 30, 2013 6:05:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jeriannah

Wonderful. This is why I reached out, because I knew there would be people who'd help come up with good ideas. :D

And I'm sending you the PM right now.

I think that makes a lot of sense.

If you weren't on US time I was going to offer to help spread out your time zones, but I'm Eastern US so I don't help much, heh.

Let me know when you're ready for testing. I can't wait to see this in action - I love logic puzzles!

---

[Jan 30, 2013 8:14:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Clotho
OceanMaster

We are always willing to assist provided the event has good prizes, is open to a large number of people, looks well-planned, has a good quality post, no entry fee and is not for profit. The guidelines to request such assistance can be found here
[Jan 30, 2013 8:48:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Aeternis

I'd like to participate in some logic puzzles.

Do you think the questions are that hard that ppl need several days or why don't you just do a certain time, say a saturday around noon game time?
Locu on Cerulean and Opal (and some other Oceans)

Check the Rack at Phakey's Tailor Stall on Tinga for nice clothes!
Locu's Weaving Stall on Tinga and Cranberry

[Jan 30, 2013 8:51:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jeriannah

Clotho - thanks for the heads up. I think the need for assistance I saw (with the trinkets) can be resolved with the suggestion put forth by Aethera, but I will keep it in mind to go over the submission form. Depending on the feedback I receive from others solving the puzzle, I think I might need a little bit of help.

Locu - it's not just the solving of the puzzle. Part of the puzzle's solution is finding the time that the alts are lucid enough to remember what they're supposed to trade, and trading with them then. As that time slot is a portion of the solution set, I'd like to keep it that way. Stretching it out over a weekend means that if someone has engagements for a Saturday afternoon, for example, they can still log on the next day to catch the alt during the right period of time to get the trinket.

Also, going over a weekend means that even if you can't log on while we're running here, you can still send in answers on the forums, and choose a smaller prize. Does that make sense?
---

[Jan 30, 2013 9:39:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Aeternis

While making certain time slots part of the event is a nice idea, I think it limits the participation.
If there is for example a 4 hour time window ppl can try to participate if they have time. If the time window is about 1 hour per alt and at 4 different times, it reduces my interest in the event if I had to get up at 3 am for example and only find out after I spent 2 hours on a puzzle.

It's nice for those ppl being able to manage all of the participant times if they appear on several days, but for others one time window on a certain day would be easier to arrange.

Even if you put the main event on a certain date you still can allow forum participation for a few more days.

[Jan 30, 2013 9:47:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jeriannah

While making certain time slots part of the event is a nice idea, I think it limits the participation.
If there is for example a 4 hour time window ppl can try to participate if they have time. If the time window is about 1 hour per alt and at 4 different times, it reduces my interest in the event if I had to get up at 3 am for example and only find out after I spent 2 hours on a puzzle.

It's nice for those ppl being able to manage all of the participant times if they appear on several days, but for others one time window on a certain day would be easier to arrange.

Even if you put the main event on a certain date you still can allow forum participation for a few more days.

You might have missed my post up above...

And even after all four main prize sets are given out, people could PM me or find me with their answers for a chance at a smaller prize (poe, standard sloops, etc.). This would also, partially, resolve the different time zones. People could choose to play just on the forums, knowing they're playing for a smaller prize.

Part of the fun for me in this (and yes, I like events where I have fun too, organizing and running) is to see people getting on the game and doing things.

So I'd be setting up one prize package group for those who collect in game, and one for those who choose only to work on it on the forums.
---

[Jan 30, 2013 10:14:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Aeternis

I read your post and just want to point out another view to help you with your event. And I did not miss any posts, I just want to point out, that I prefer events with a fixed date (like a bake-off or events where the time frame is completely at my disposal (like the Just Pillage series or art events).
I just want to point out that it could effectively limit the number of participants more than a fixed date.

[Jan 30, 2013 10:59:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jeriannah

Ah, okay. That's what I get for reading without drinking my coffee first.

I get where you're coming from, but I think on this count, I want to keep it to the time frames. As I said, I'll also run a forum set of prizes, so for people who don't find the timing convenient to go in-game, they can still participate and win something.
---

[Jan 30, 2013 11:25:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates