• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 50
Posts: 50   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 6480 times and has 49 replies Next Thread
Ezder

A Real Life Bake-Off! Win Polaris Point! (Winners announced) Reply to this Post

We have once again ended up with more islands than we're really comfortable with, so we'll be giving away Polaris Point, Harmattan Island and Stormy Fell over a period of time. Of course, if the islands are blockaded before given away, we might lose them and that is no big deal if so - the giveaway plan is for whichever of these islands we keep long enough to give away.

First out is Polaris Point in a Real Life Bake-off!

The prize: Polaris point!

Your task: Bake a cake!

Bake a cake on the theme Polaris Point. The easiest would be to make it look like the island map, but some freedom of interpetation is allowed, if you explain how you were thinking. Post a picture of your entry (with your pirate name in it) before noon GT February 2.

Entries will be judged by a jury of Legacy members, and the winner will have Polaris Point transferred to his/her flag, assuming it has the fame needed.

If the interest is big, we might give out additional prizes.

We would like to see that the winners keep Polaris Point stocked.

Any questions, please post here! Happy baking!

Winners!

Again, thank you for all amazing entries, and sorry for the delay in judging!

The winners of Polaris Point is Velternal of Corpus Mortuus! The jury was especially impressed by the effects in the water, and the finish of the cake.

Second prize winner, for a gingerbread class WB, is Uzimaki of The Dark traders! The jury especially loved the pokeweed berries and the little penguin (even though I'm not sure if it's an edible penguin?), and I love the water and all the little details.

Third prize winner, for a chocolate class sloop, is Bryna of Rum Soaked Devils! The jury was especially fond of the little WB.

This event was not easy to judge! I hope that all the cakes tasted good and that you had fun making them, even if we couldn't give first prize to all of you!
----------------------------------------
Avienda
Nightmare/Legacy

Naggy avatar

Qvintvs flag royalty chats, "I won't play for that much longer and when I quit, my pirate's dead body will be sent out at sea on a burning ship and let's face it, you will be on that ship as well.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Ezder at Feb 8, 2013 4:41:22 PM]
[Jan 20, 2013 3:12:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
demon262

Re: A Real Life Bake-Off! Win Polaris Point! Reply to this Post

Where do we apply to be the "Offical cake-taster"?
Bobinalong on Emerald
Bobinalong on Meridian
[Jan 20, 2013 3:26:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ladylego

sigh a baking contest i can't enter :(

But Avienda forgot to mention we would need also need a picture of all your ingredients, one of it in progress and a finished shot of your cake including a name card.

The name card should include the event name.

Also to reiterate it doesn't need to be an exact map of polaris just something that really represents the island... So be creative and get baking x
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Ladylego at Jan 20, 2013 3:30:04 PM]
[Jan 20, 2013 3:28:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ezder

What Lego said.

The jury will consist of interested people from Legacy. Most of us will just look, but I know that some of the judges could probably be bribed if you can arrange to let them actually taste your work as well. ;)

Also, you bake with whatever you want, but if I see for example gelatine, you'll be less likely to get my vote. In the same way, you'll be more likely to get my vote if you use no eggs, or organic eggs. Others may not share my views so don't let it stop you from entering, I just don't like the way animals are treated in modern society, nor the environmental effects of it.
Avienda
Nightmare/Legacy

Naggy avatar

Qvintvs flag royalty chats, "I won't play for that much longer and when I quit, my pirate's dead body will be sent out at sea on a burning ship and let's face it, you will be on that ship as well.
[Jan 21, 2013 1:25:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Bryna5

I am in love with this event.

Win an island by baking a delicious dessert? Heck yes! Even if we don't win, we I have a cake to eat!

I better go hit up Tesco.
Bryna on Meridian
SO of The Rum Rats
Queen of Rum Soaked Devils
[Jan 21, 2013 12:06:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link]  Go to top 
Yasmi6

well i will be hitting tesco as well bryna mainly because my husband is making me XD Devilx had a genious idea he will be in charge of deco and i will be baking :)

Llx wanna skype me ur address so i can send u a piece special delivery b4 1 pm?
Yasmi on Meridian

Captain of Lilith's Perfume
Princess of Imperial Coalition
(ex-Queen of Devils Advocates)

Better to reign in Hell, than to serve in Heaven...
[Jan 21, 2013 12:46:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ladylego

damn i missed out on cake tasting this makes me sad :(
[Jan 21, 2013 1:31:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Yasmi6

damn i missed out on cake tasting this makes me sad :(

ure not missing out i will be still baking it, so ure still on time to give me yer address XD

not sure i am going with the "no egg" thingie but i could try
Yasmi on Meridian

[Jan 21, 2013 2:19:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Bryna5

I have so many ideas reeling through my mind, I have no idea where to start.

I think it's safe to say at some point in the next week a photo will emerge of me covered in flour, frosting and decorative bits.
Bryna on Meridian
SO of The Rum Rats
[Jan 22, 2013 9:46:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link]  Go to top 
Yasmi6

i thought bout doing a video of me devilx and baby doing the masterart, not sure how i will succeed though
Yasmi on Meridian

[Jan 22, 2013 9:59:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Bryna5

Avienda, quick question before I start my baking and decorating on Saturday.

As far as decorations are concerned, do they have to be edible? Also, as long as the main focal point is the cake, are we allowed to use other delectable edibles to create the entire piece?
Bryna on Meridian
SO of The Rum Rats
[Jan 23, 2013 10:00:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link]  Go to top 
Ezder

Bryna wrote: 

As far as decorations are concerned, do they have to be edible? Also, as long as the main focal point is the cake, are we allowed to use other delectable edibles to create the entire piece?

You can use non-edible things such as candles (often used on cakes, right?) and so, as long as it's not so much that it makes the cake hard to eat.

And yes, you can add other things, be creative!
Avienda
Nightmare/Legacy

Naggy avatar

[Jan 23, 2013 11:13:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Bryna5

Bryna wrote: 

You can use non-edible things such as candles (often used on cakes, right?) and so, as long as it's not so much that it makes the cake hard to eat.

And yes, you can add other things, be creative!

Fantabulous! I am so excited n_n *runs into the kitchen*

Bryna on Meridian
SO of The Rum Rats
[Jan 23, 2013 11:38:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link]  Go to top 
Bryna5

I really need to stop asking so many questions.

Do we post the pictures as we go along (ingredients, during the creation and the final piece) or just all in one go?
Bryna on Meridian
SO of The Rum Rats
[Jan 25, 2013 1:11:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link]  Go to top 
Ladylego

all in one go or at least all in one post.

and ask away :)
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Ladylego at Jan 25, 2013 1:55:24 PM]
[Jan 25, 2013 1:52:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Bryna5

all in one go or at least all in one post.

and ask away :)

Okay, thanks! The baking has started. I should be done by Sunday.. hopefully.

Edit: I finished in one day! RESULTS!
Bryna on Meridian
SO of The Rum Rats
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Bryna5 at Jan 26, 2013 1:11:33 PM]
[Jan 25, 2013 2:18:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link]  Go to top 
Bryna5

Rum Soaked Devils Entry

Ingredients - There are a lot of ingredients and things used to make this piece. Ask questions if you need clarification as some of them may not be visible in the photo.

Progress - One cake baked and about to start icing the bases and forming the rice krispie treats.

Final Product - The Devils BloCAKE Polaris Point!

Final Product - different angle.

RSD War Brig - Ship and cannons are made of homemade rice krispie treats with masts that are Cadbury's Ripple. The ship is coated with homemade chocolate icing. Malteser cannon balls have been fired from the brig (and held up by toothpicks)! Sails are made of paper and twine. Guest cameos by some pirate face candles!

Polaris Point - Homemade chocolate and nutella cake. The cake is covered in white fondant brushed with a sugar glaze and coated with blended rice krispies. Turtles are made from sugardough. Malteser cannon balls have been shot from the brig and landed on the island. Guest cameo by my Playmobil pirate named Boris!

Note: the cake does not portray all of Polaris Point - just the very first part of the island. Also, sorry for the bad lighting in the later pictures, I started this at 8am and finished at 8pm.
Bryna on Meridian
SO of The Rum Rats
[Jan 26, 2013 1:10:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link]  Go to top 
Ezder

Absolutely beautiful, I love it! :D

I will also share Q'scomment:

"Oh no! That's a WB at our island! Scuttle, fast!"
Avienda
Nightmare/Legacy

Naggy avatar

[Jan 26, 2013 2:29:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Bryna5

Absolutely beautiful, I love it! :D

I will also share Q'scomment:

"Oh no! That's a WB at our island! Scuttle, fast!"

Thank you!

I can't promise the WB wont cause harm, but it will spare the turtles.
:)
Bryna on Meridian
SO of The Rum Rats
[Jan 26, 2013 2:49:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link]  Go to top 
Yasmi6

Devil's Advocates entry for the Bake-off

Baking was done by me and art and decoration mostly by Devilx, we also had a little helper who decided the turtles were really yummy. Thank god she spared us some for the cake decoration.

Those are ou ingredients, I noticed I forgot to put the turtles in the snapshot after, I used Haribo turtles to decorate.

Carrot cake going into the tin XD

Cake ready to go in the oven

Devilx working out how he is gonna cut around to make it look like Polaris

Little marzipan hand sculptured buildings that represent the sy, fort and NB and dockship handbrushed with chocolate

Ta da here it is a carrot cake with chocolate glazing egg free for Avienda and Qvintus to enjoy as well

View from the side

View from above

And final picture with our card:)

We sure had fun making it, devilx already ate the corners he cut off and stated it is indeed tasty.

Happy judging !!!!

I am happy to provide full recipe and ingredient list if picture is not sufficient.
Yasmi on Meridian

[Feb 1, 2013 4:06:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cyco45

Hey guys this is Uzimaki and BilgeThief of the crew The Eleventh Hour of the flag The Dark Traders.
Ingredients:

Making the cake and jello:

Finished cake and jello:

Frosting the cake:

Adding the pretzle fence and the grahm cracker door and roof:

Jello water with light and dark brown sugar for the island:

Welcome to the finished island:

Full pretzel fence, cats, penguin, turtles, our own pokeweed plants(Made of herbs), a notice board(Graham cracker), a fish, and some rocks(Made of nuts):

PENGUIN AND POKEWEED!

Come back again!
[Feb 1, 2013 11:32:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
russellm2

Did you eat that?
Powerbow of Meridian and Emerald.
[Feb 1, 2013 11:37:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cyco45

Did you eat that?

In the process of it now :P
[Feb 1, 2013 11:39:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Bryna5

Good luck to everyone!

Uzimaki, props on the pokeweed. I couldn't figure out how to do it.
Bryna on Meridian
SO of The Rum Rats
[Feb 2, 2013 2:22:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link]  Go to top 
Rebas8

A Barely Dressed Cake Entry
This lovely Polaris Point cake was created by Merms. She is having trouble posting to the forum so I am posting it for her.

cake ingredients

carrot cake ready to go into the oven

Here is Wrath being created from black liquorice fudge. All the pets on the island were created from liquorice and vanilla fudge.

fort walls and pets ready for the cake

The ingredients for a special Swedish smörgåstårta sloop, the Savory Sardine, found ported at Polaris Point. "Smörgås tårta (sandwhich cake) its a savoury thing swedes go mad over for birthdays etc."

And here it is, the finished cake!

A close up of the island.

A top view of the island.
[Feb 2, 2013 6:37:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Famed7

Must say these are all brilliant looking and defiantly making me quite hungry well done to you all! :D
Famed (Meridian)
Senior Officer in Bella Donna
Royal of Legacy
[Feb 2, 2013 8:23:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
basement123

Those cats look awesome!!
Roses are red, Canada is purple, I suck at poems, Refrigerator.

Pnckecookie - Meridian

Prince of What A Ride

[Feb 2, 2013 10:14:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
amethyststar

Monkey Business: Official Entry

As I have done this before (Captain Cook's Galley-Style Bakeoff), I thought that I would give it another go.. for the sake of my newly created flag! <3

I created all the decorations from non-toxic FIMO clay.

Ingredients:
Betty Crocker Gluten Free Cake Mix
3 eggs
2 mini-bottles of Cap'n Morgan Rum
2 TBSP of organic vanilla extract
1 can of crushed pineapple
1 cup of brown sugar
smattering of green sugar

Cake Batter!

You can bake a cake in a toaster oven!

Fort

Turtles = LOVE <3

The Finished Product

In closing, we are a small (and very new) flag. We would love a outpost to help us develop our blockading and battle navigation skills! We would regularly host event blockades to help other younger flags develop! <3
Samos
Captain of Meridian Refugees
Queen of Changing Tides

http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Samos
Creator of Shoppe Manager (tm), Rank Manager (tm), and Memorization Manager (tm)
[Edit 1 times, last edit by amethyststar at Feb 2, 2013 11:18:50 AM]
[Feb 2, 2013 11:06:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.facebook.com/sara.anne.miller/    amethyststarlight    gloriousamethyst [Link]  Go to top 
Ezder

Wow... Now, this will be tricky to judge! Nice job all of you! :D
Avienda
Nightmare/Legacy

Naggy avatar

[Feb 2, 2013 11:07:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Vellanora

Velternal, Corpus Mortuus
Absolutely the first time i've tried to decorate a cake >.<
Organic eggs for Avienda :)

Not skimping on buttercream filling. nom.

Almost finished you tricky fondant.

And my completed Polaris Point Cake <3 (sitting in the stars) :)

And thanks for the event Legacy! I looked forward to this between 12 hour shifts. <3
Calixbossx tells ye, "lions shouldnt worry about the opinions of sheep"

Velternal, Meridian.
I draw Avatars!.
[Feb 2, 2013 11:58:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 50   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2014 Three Rings Design, Inc. All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates