• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 74
Posts: 74   Pages: 3   [ First Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 11209 times and has 73 replies Next Thread
Clotho
OceanMaster

Limited Edition Portrait Background -Spring 2013 Edition [Winners announced!] Reply to this Post

Ahoy mates! It's portrait background time again!

Winners!

Theme:
Spring is in the air... Spring is nature's way of saying, "Let's party!" There are several wonderful holidays from now until Mid-March that we can draw inspiration from, it could be any general spring-time theme, flowers and showers, the spring equinox, Mardi-Gras, Carnival, the Ides of March or even St.Patrick's Day! You can use any aspect of these themes as the inspiration for your portrait background.

Submissions:
Entrants will create original backgrounds that are consistent with the theme and style of the game. The image must look sensible with characters placed on it in any of the orientations possible for its size. The preferred file format is .png
Entries must fit the appropriate scale.

1-pirate backgrounds: 348 x 650
2-pirate backgrounds: 696 x 650
Large backgrounds: 1600 x 1170
Expansive backgrounds: 2000 x 1275

Reworking entries:
To update an entry, please upload the latest version with the same file name as the previous version of the entry. If you want an alternative version rather than a replacement, multiple entries per artist are also acceptable. You can enter multiple times for any theme.

Only original art is accepted. You must create the images yourself.
References to copyrighted intellectual properties should be excluded from the entries. We don't want anyone laboring on some amazing art that has to be ignored because of this.

Plagiarized entries, photographs, and other unsuitable entries may be removed from the entry page without notice.
You may use reference materials for your work, but if you base your work substantially on a reference, please acknowledge it in your forum post. You do not need to acknowledge any game art used as reference material.

Upload your images to the YPPedia, name the file according to the naming scheme listed there, and also post links to the thumbnails here in this thread, for comment. If you want your pirate name to appear rather than your account name should you win, please follow the image tag scheme below carefully.

NOTE: Instructions for destination filename
The arrtists have requested a change to the naming of files uploaded to YPPedia for this contest. This naming scheme may not be the same as the general YPPedia file upload scheme, but we're hoping that it's distinctive enough that it won't cause undue confusion. Note that this is in addition to the requirements for the image tags.
Requested format for the filenames on YPPedia:
monthly_yourname_title_the_way_you_want_to_appear_in_game.png

All in lower-case and put underscores between all the separate words in the title (YPPedia will change the first m into M - don't worry about this). So, if I want my portrait background to appear as Clotho's Tangled Threads, I would use:
monthly_clotho_tangled_threads.png

Instructions for tags in the summary field
The tag for this contest is "feb13contest" so that we know which entries to consider when judging starts. The summary field for the upload, then, should be:
{{contesttag|accountname|creditname|Portrait Title}}
where
"contesttag" is replaced by this month's tag shown below, "accountname" is replaced by your own forum name
"creditname" is replaced by either your forum name again, or your pirate name, whichever you want credited with the background
"Portrait Title" is replaced by your suggested title for the portrait background

e.g. {{feb13contest|Clotho|Spinner|Loom}}
or {{feb13contest|Cassopia|Whitenose|Spindle}}

If the name to credit the portrait with is the same as the account name, it would go in twice.
e.g. {{feb13contest|Clotho|Clotho|Tangled Threads}}

Judging:
Quality of work, style, how well the background fits with the game's theme, and how well the placement of the portrait characters fit into the background are the primary determining factors.

The entries will be judged in the Three Rings offices by the arrrtists and the winner will be put into future releases as a Limited Edition portrait background. The portrait background may also be re-used for limited times later, and even (if appropriate) adopted as a longer-term or permanent portrait background, rather than a limited duration one. The same winning artist may be chosen more than once for different entries. Entrants may be asked by the arrrtists to make small changes to their designs after the judging.

Submitted works are eligible for winning future contests. Artists who entered backgrounds in a previous contest: if they are eligible for the current contest, please enter them again! We would love to reconsider them. Likewise, if a background does not win, it can be submitted for future contests, as long as it fits within the theme of each contest.

Prizes:
A winning entry will be included in the in-game list of available portrait backgrounds, usually for a limited duration. Anyone in the game can use it when it is available. Each winning entrant will also receive a Puzzle Pirates real-life item and a pack of playing cards in the mail, a free copy of his/her portrait in-game, choice of Bluebeard, Fishheadred or Greenbones egg or doll, and a clothing item of her choice in the color(s) of her choice.

The clothing item can be any item that can be ordered from a tailoring shoppe without needing a design or reputation. In the event of the same artist winning multiple prizes or multiple months, an additional clothing item can be substituted for the real-life prizes if the artist does not feel like having a household full of Puzzle Pirates Paraphernalia.

Deadline:
February 15th 2013, 11:59pm game time

Suggestions:
-- Make it look like it came right out of the game.
--Get your line weights down, and compare with existing portraits to be sure.
--Keep your lighting consistent with the lighting on the pirate portrait art.
--Choose a scene that many in the game would like to use.
--Take your time and rework, going to others for advice and critique.
--A very small signature in the lower right corner is acceptable.
--In general avoid words - if you do use them, use them minimally, and only when they are not central to the understanding of the portrait.
--Pay close attention to your composition - the composition of backgrounds related to pirate placement is a major consideration and sometimes otherwise good backgrounds are eliminated because the nicest elements are blocked by the pirates once they are in frame.

Other suggestions and links:
Questions, discussion, entries and feedback can all be posted here. Good luck!

Para leer este concurso en español, haz clic aquí
----------------------------------------

Hilando las hebras de la vida pirata...
Eggatar by Greylady
[Edit 4 times, last edit by Clotho at Feb 21, 2013 11:27:08 AM]

[Jan 15, 2013 9:30:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Notsizzly

Re: Limited Edition Portrait Background -Spring 2013 Edition [Deadline Feb 15th] Reply to this Post

Stop. making. us. work. so. hard. with. all. these. contests. competitions. and. events. I. do. not. have. enough. time. for. all. of. it.

Also, does it have to be spring holiday related? (That's how I read it.) Will spring in general work?
Sizzly of Emerald.

Buying Lexicon's and Ringer eggs.
[Jan 16, 2013 9:51:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Clotho
OceanMaster

Re: Limited Edition Portrait Background -Spring 2013 Edition [Deadline Feb 15th] Reply to this Post

Stop. making. us. work. so. hard. with. all. these. contests. competitions. and. events. I. do. not. have. enough. time. for. all. of. it.

Also, does it have to be spring holiday related? (That's how I read it.) Will spring in general work?

Spring in general or any holiday that happens between now and Mid-March work!
*Adding to OP

Eggatar by Greylady

[Jan 16, 2013 9:53:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Booful

I think my muse just exploded....
(I think we all feel this way) >.< maybe...if we can get two months for the doll event...wait no, then ill just procrastinate more...sigh, i better get back to my drawing board...
PixelPixie; I collect Sunfish, Angelfish, Blowfish Pixelpixie avvy's Avvy by me
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Booful at Jan 16, 2013 12:02:49 PM]
[Jan 16, 2013 11:59:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cattrin

I think my muse just exploded....
(I think we all feel this way) >.< maybe...if we can get two months for the doll event...wait no, then ill just procrastinate more...sigh, i better get back to my drawing board...

Personally I think it's more than enough time.

Guess I'm alone in that?

Cattrin of Midnight Cerulean (and sometimes Viridian Meridian)
Avatar by Apollo, Wiske, Shawe, Blakbead, Daeva, Bunnylaroo and Musicologist!

X tells ye, "Stop yo drawing fool!"

[Jan 16, 2013 12:25:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Thalia
OceanMaster

Tsk. Blowing up muses?

/me does not approve.
[Jan 16, 2013 12:38:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Yngve6

Guess I'm alone in that?

yep
Inghild on Meridian
Yngve on Emerald
[Jan 16, 2013 12:41:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Booful

Tsk. Blowing up muses?

/me does not approve.

well...except perhaps the muse of comical and theatrical art won't get blown up? ~.^
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Booful at Jan 16, 2013 12:45:10 PM]
[Jan 16, 2013 12:43:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cattrin

Guess I'm alone in that?

yep

Dang.

As a side note, I imagine a blowing up muse similar to [this] .

I'm pretty sure that episode scarred me for life when I was 7. Poor snail.

[Jan 16, 2013 12:43:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dexla

Guess I'm alone in that?

Not at all.
I <3 DEADLINES!

And doodles should never be more than 24 hours long.
DEXLA LOUISA MIDNIGHT on Cerulean
[Jan 16, 2013 12:44:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Booful

Guess I'm alone in that?

Not at all.
I <3 DEADLINES!

And doodles should never be more than 24 hours long.

Excepts perhaps the calender doodle :P that one took me a LONG time!
I won't say i *love* deadlines per se...but they sure pressure me to get my butt in gear!!! I just wish i was a faster artists that can multi- task like you super arrrtists :p
[Jan 16, 2013 12:47:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Notsizzly

I think you all are out of your minds.

It also could be that most of my time is being consumed by work+studies and anything left over has to be spread evenly on what I want to do. Making 5 avatars, 5 dolls and at least one portrait background on my spare time is just way too much for me in one month, even if that would be all I do. Maybe I'm just too slow or obsessed over details or everything. But these are all just rumors and you can't prove anything.

I'll quit complaining now. I also want to do something less so-obviously-spring-y. It'll be horrible. Hahaha, mad scientartist at work! Maybe.
Sizzly of Emerald.

[Jan 16, 2013 10:57:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jongy5

Guess I'm alone in that?

Nope!

Also- dun blow up muses, we're not really 'splode-able
Musicologist : Self-proclaimed Master Minstrel mostly of Meridian
Clotho tells ye, "I love your musical art, thank you for sharing!"

Avvy by the awesome Velternal!
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Jongy5 at Jan 17, 2013 4:01:31 AM]
[Jan 17, 2013 4:00:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Notsizzly

Guess I'm alone in that?

Nope!

I'm beginning to feel stupid and slow <<.

Maybe everyone else just has more time than I do, want to share some?
Sizzly of Emerald.

[Jan 17, 2013 5:35:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Booful

Don't feel like that...I'm a VERY slow artist...it takes me literally an entire month for a single background entry, and even for regular customer avatars they usually take at least 2-4 days each depending the details >.< ... and thus far as far as I've come is only researching about all the Om's and their Greek mythology...btw...be warned when looking up images for most of them! *shudders* (tho on the positive side...google recognized pictures of our OM's when you looked up their names ^_^
@ musicologist and Thalia, no fear i have stitched my muse back together, hopefully with the right parts in the right locations...o.O And she is good as new and have only given me one picture for now! (tho no idea who the poor Om is thats getting beaten up in the fray of sparks and stars...anyone know who has curly blonde hair???)
[Jan 17, 2013 7:57:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Yngve6

Guess I'm alone in that?

Nope!

I'm beginning to feel stupid and slow <<.

Maybe everyone else just has more time than I do, want to share some?

That :(
Inghild on Meridian
Yngve on Emerald
[Jan 17, 2013 9:42:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Clotho
OceanMaster

Reminder!
The preferred file format is .png - please avoid using any other format, thank you!

Eggatar by Greylady

[Jan 17, 2013 10:02:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Notsizzly

Don't feel like that...I'm a VERY slow artist...it takes me literally an entire month for a single background entry, and even for regular customer avatars they usually take at least 2-4 days each depending the details >.< ... and thus far as far as I've come is only researching about all the Om's and their Greek mythology...btw...be warned when looking up images for most of them! *shudders* (tho on the positive side...google recognized pictures of our OM's when you looked up their names ^_^

2-4 days isn't a long time, I think it's quite fast, and idk, apparently my complaining about all the notime2muchwork upset some people, which is weird :S (such as telling me that if I have time to post on the forums, then I shouldn't be complaining).

Yeah, our OM gods originate from some pretty disturbed stuff ><.

Also, I want to ask from Clotho and a general opinion: should the backgrounds always have 'colors', so would a white and black (or grey themed) be much less likely to be chosen?

Second question, this is for Clotho. I want to avoid being accused of copying someone's work but these themes are so open and generic ones that I'm pretty sure I'll end up doing something someone already has. For example, there are plenty of New Year -themed backgrounds with fireworks in them so I'm assuming it's okay to, say, go with flowers as a main idea in the work as long as it's not a total duplicate of something that already has been picked as a winner (or do I really need to check all the entries from previous contests)?
Sizzly of Emerald.

[Jan 18, 2013 6:41:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Booful

@ Sizzly, this question came up in the trinket thread as well and clotho put it so every perfectly^_^

Follow up on some comments on the entry thread:
While we certainly look for original work, I believe Arghhpirate explained this situation quite eloquently. A pot of gold is a known, pretty much 'generic' image associated to leprechauns and St. Patrick's Day.

Edit: Further clarification about originality.
The rules state: Designs should be your own, and created specifically for this event. However, when it's a creation representing a generic image such as "a rainbow", "a teddy bear", "a pot of gold", "a corn husk doll", "a carved pumpkin" (to name a few), we are allowed to create our own rendition of such item.

As an example, in the trinket page you can find "shamrock", "dread shamrock" and "corn husk doll", "corn husk maiden" - that while each of them represents the same item the rendition is completely different and original. No one could claim ownership of a shamrock for example, or prevent future artists from using that concept because it's been used before, as long as the design itself is original and created for the event. The only exception would be if it's a clear copy of a previous rendition or someone else's interpretation of said item. The item itself is not the property of any one person (unless it's a copyright!)

In the future, questions regarding the originality or authenticity of a design should be brought to the attention of the OM in charge of the event via PM rather than making public posts.

[Jan 18, 2013 9:03:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Aeternis

I'm not Clotho, but I'd like to add to the monochrome question.
It would be great if there were some monochrome backgrounds and either a monochrome filter going over portraits with that background or some other nice effects taking place when doing those! I think i'd pay more than 15k per slot for those :D
Locu on Cerulean and Opal (and some other Oceans)

Check the Rack at Phakey's Tailor Stall on Tinga for nice clothes!
Locu's Weaving Stall on Tinga and Cranberry

[Jan 18, 2013 9:13:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Yngve6

Well decided that backgrounds are more fun than avatars despite the dolls :(
So here is a very very early sketch of a Venetian mask shop I'll try to make.

Shop based on this image

The masks are a bit tiny, so I hope I can make them look good.
Inghild on Meridian
Yngve on Emerald
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Yngve6 at Jan 18, 2013 4:17:20 PM]
[Jan 18, 2013 2:28:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Clotho
OceanMaster

@Sizzly
Yes, we do originate from pretty disturbed stuff!

As for colors in the backgrounds, there's nothing that prevents a background from being black and white. The only consideration is how it would look in game - would it look like it's part of the game or not?

Regarding images previously used: Booful has quoted an explanation that I hope covers the questions. As long as it's your own, original work it's not a problem to use any 'generic' (for lack of a better term) image again.

Eggatar by Greylady

[Jan 18, 2013 3:09:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cattrin

Hmm, question about the theme timing.

If it's only to mid-march, that means no Easter/eggs/rabbit/etc.

I'm trying to figure out if stuff like "April showers" is OK, even though it wouldn't technically be April yet. (May flowers too, but Crocus and most Daffodils/Iris bloom before May in reality)

Some Robins come early spring, or had stayed around during the winter, but a majourity only return in the farther months.

Are you planning on having another late-spring themed contest where it'd be better to add those?

[Edit 1 times, last edit by cattrin at Jan 18, 2013 6:53:56 PM]
[Jan 18, 2013 6:52:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Clotho
OceanMaster

Hmm, question about the theme timing.

If it's only to mid-march, that means no Easter/eggs/rabbit/etc.

I'm trying to figure out if stuff like "April showers" is OK, even though it wouldn't technically be April yet. (May flowers too, but Crocus and most Daffodils/Iris bloom before May in reality)

Some Robins come early spring, or had stayed around during the winter, but a majourity only return in the farther months.

Are you planning on having another late-spring themed contest where it'd be better to add those?

This edition will be in game around mid-March. So any theme that is suitable for that period is acceptable. We tried to leave this edition somewhat open (with the general spring guideline). I'm not sure yet what the next edition will be, we are currently working on a calendar for 2013 but it's not fully defined yet. I'm sorry that I can't give a more definite answer at this time!

Eggatar by Greylady

[Jan 19, 2013 12:19:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dexla

(May flowers too, but Crocus and most Daffodils/Iris bloom before May in reality)

LOL I thought that said "Cronus" and thought... he blooms before May?
DEXLA LOUISA MIDNIGHT on Cerulean
[Jan 21, 2013 12:29:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cattrin

Cranky Cronus Crocus.

We've got really derailed from backgrounds here.

[Edit 2 times, last edit by cattrin at Jan 21, 2013 2:58:27 PM]
[Jan 21, 2013 2:57:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Aeternis

But I love it!

/me made that mistake too!

[Jan 21, 2013 3:28:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Narcissag

i know is still a bit(alot) plain..but...

Narci

"Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience."
[Jan 29, 2013 6:51:43 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cronus
OceanMaster

Dexla wrote: 
LOL I thought that said "Cronus" and thought... he blooms before May?

I'm always bloomin'

cattrin wrote: 
Cranky Cronus Crocus.

Ha, that's awesome. Of course it led to one coworker making a very unflattering fertilizer joke at my expense.
Current avatar by Podgekins
Tinfoil, popsicle sticks, and paste make for a nice shiny new hat!
[Jan 30, 2013 9:35:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Aeternis

Ha, that's awesome. Of course it led to one coworker making a very unflattering fertilizer joke at my expense.

Only one? :P

[Jan 30, 2013 9:47:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 74   Pages: 3   [ First Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2014 Three Rings Design, Inc. All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates