• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 406
Posts: 406   Pages: 14   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 64541 times and has 405 replies Next Thread
Thalia
OceanMaster

Re: Dolls Galore - Deadline February 15, 2013 - Win Ringer dolls! Reply to this Post

So paper dolls, like the one I entered, are not counted as dolls? In that case I guess it's back to brainstorming for me...

It's a little tricky to draw a line here, really. I definitely don't want to be too restrictive, after all this event is about having fun and creating adorable little Ringer goodies and not about getting a headache over technicalities.
Your entry certainly is close to the line, as it's "almost" a collage. But it's doll shaped, stands upright, is obviously crafted, has several "layers" and can be picked up and held.

What I want to avoid is people entering 2D art as dolls, a painting of a doll on a piece of paper (which can admittedly also be picked up), is not a doll. I'd let yours count as a doll.

I hope I didn't cause even more confusion now. ;)

If in doubt, please just ask me. And keep in mind that even if this paper doll wouldn't count as a doll, no need to throw it into the trash. You can still take a picture, resize and enter it as an avatar!
----------------------------------------
[Jan 28, 2013 11:04:24 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jongy5

Re: Dolls Galore - Deadline February 15, 2013 - Win Ringer dolls! Reply to this Post

Oh Cattriiiiin!

.e waggles eyebrows

This ones slightly smaller but has 2 more frames!

Musicologist : Self-proclaimed Master Minstrel mostly of Meridian

Message from Team Evil: Fine, we'll pass the petition along to Hera for you even though you're pro-Team Purple, but we refuse to be happy about it! #TeamEvilisAWESOME
[Jan 28, 2013 12:38:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cattrin

This ones slightly smaller but has 2 more frames!

Here you go. :)

Edit: I always forget to put the correct frame rate.

(Edit)^2: When I save your .gif it gives me frames that have him stuck behind the background when he's not supposed to be.

Is it like that in your file, or are my eyes playing tricks on me when I look at the one you posted?

If they're not like that, could you maybe send me the individual layers and I'll piece them together? For some reason it seems to be saving incorrectly.

(Edit)^3: Nevermind, I think I've got it. Check this out:

I pieced together sections of screenshots of yours with the correct layers. If it doesn't look correct enough, please try what I said in (Edit)^2.
Cattrin of Cerulean
Avatar by Apollo (we miss you :c), Blakbead, Angelira, Coriander, and Accelerator!

X tells ye, "Stop yo drawing fool!"

[Edit 5 times, last edit by cattrin at Jan 28, 2013 2:51:34 PM]
[Jan 28, 2013 2:30:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Bunnylaroo

@Thalia: Thanks for the clarification. I had already almost finished my second entry, another paper doll, so I was a little worried. But I did get an idea for a different medium, so if I get around to making three more dolls I'll at least get to try something new :)
Bunnylaroo of Sage Emerald

[Jan 28, 2013 2:38:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jongy5

@Cattrin
The last one does look fixed, the one with the yellow background also looked borked- for the same reason perhaps! Gickr- which I used to make the gif was also acting up messing up the last image with the first.

on a side-note: I saved the files as .png, do they retain layers- I use SUMO which has layers but I was unaware that possible layer confounding was possible after saving as .png

Thanks for all the time, edits, and a size reduction.

Message from Team Evil: Fine, we'll pass the petition along to Hera for you even though you're pro-Team Purple, but we refuse to be happy about it! #TeamEvilisAWESOME
[Jan 28, 2013 3:12:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cattrin

on a side-note: I saved the files as .png, do they retain layers- I use SUMO which has layers but I was unaware that possible layer confounding was possible after saving as .png

As far as I know only .gifs and files specific to your software (.psp for Photoshop, etc), keep their layers in-tact.
Cattrin of Cerulean
Avatar by Apollo (we miss you :c), Blakbead, Angelira, Coriander, and Accelerator!

[Jan 28, 2013 4:27:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jongy5

After much staring I determined that a frame is missing, will be trying that edit^2 thing!

[Jan 28, 2013 5:05:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cattrin

After much staring I determined that a frame is missing, will be trying that edit^2 thing!

Based on the too-large one you posted, or the original file?

Because the one you posted and the one I edited have the same number; I'm sure of it. :)

(As a side note, the edited one I made sure to remove the sneaky fellows on looks even more on the strange side when saved from the forum:

)

Perhaps it's my browser? Nope, compared with IE, still the same. Hmm. I've never ran into this issue before.
Cattrin of Cerulean

[Edit 2 times, last edit by cattrin at Jan 28, 2013 5:21:57 PM]
[Jan 28, 2013 5:17:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jongy5

After Lower Nemo's legs go out, he dosn't change much- then suddenly becomes Upper Nemo.

When I upload the png's to gickr. they come out fine, frames, layers and all. I'll try different file formats of flattening layers from SUMO for each of the 10 files.

Thanks again for your help.

I'll be Bach

[Jan 28, 2013 6:14:41 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cattrin

After Lower Nemo's legs go out, he dosn't change much- then suddenly becomes Upper Nemo.

When I upload the png's to gickr. they come out fine, frames, layers and all. I'll try different file formats of flattening layers from SUMO for each of the 10 files.

Hm...well, that part is the same on both the avatar you posted originally and the one I edited; mine is slightly faster so that could be why it looks odd.

If you want you can PM me the single frame .png files and I'll string them together.
Cattrin of Cerulean

[Jan 28, 2013 6:41:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
celiatr

Looking at entries trying to get inspired. And while looking at the Nemesis, Nemo, etc thread ..... Who is Squishat????
Flutie
Midnight Cerulean Ocean

April 1, 2009 on Midnight Ocean [21:22:49] Eurydice broadcasts, "Okay, Flutie, this better be good."

ROMS ~ The Subforum/Dead Thread
[Jan 31, 2013 8:28:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Booful

Looking at entries trying to get inspired. And while looking at the Nemesis, Nemo, etc thread ..... Who is Squishat????

Squishat is a pirate on Emerald....
PixelPixie; I collect Sunfish, Angelfish, Blowfish Pixelpixie avvy's Avvy by me
[Jan 31, 2013 8:33:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
celiatr

I was wondering if the dolls have to be completely 3D. I was planning on trying to maken dough dolls, which will have a flat back. Is that ok? Being a dough doll nub I don't think I can handle full 3D dolls yet ><

Stop making me crave cookies. At least that's what I'm thinking of from your description. ;)
It definitely needs to be a solid 3D item that can be picked up and held and one which has depth. So, just cutting out a shape from a piece of paper or cardboard and painting it wouldn't count as a doll, but a modeled figurine with a flat back is fine.

I take full responsiblity for any OM cookie cravings. Just ask Clotho and Galene
Flutie
Midnight Cerulean Ocean

April 1, 2009 on Midnight Ocean [21:22:49] Eurydice broadcasts, "Okay, Flutie, this better be good."

[Jan 31, 2013 9:21:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
celiatr

Squishat is a pirate on Emerald....

So the person submitted a Squshat doll as a ringer. OK. Just confusing myself this morning. Too tired to think
Flutie
Midnight Cerulean Ocean

[Jan 31, 2013 10:00:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Aeternis

Someone just wanted to be funny.
Locu on Cerulean and Opal (and some other Oceans)

Check the Rack at Phakey's Tailor Stall on Tinga for nice clothes!
Locu's Weaving Stall on Tinga and Cranberry

[Jan 31, 2013 10:07:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Gaea
OceanMaster

I'd just like to say that I was totally succeeding in my plan to not check the entry thread several dozen times a day. I was doing the whole "gonna wait until everything is done and finished! Really! I will be disciplined!" thing.

And then Clotho sent me a link to one she really liked. So much for that plan. Thanks, Clotho.

Edit: this avatar Apollo made for me CLEARLY has numbered days.
A Pirate says, "u know OMs are much nicer than i thought"
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Gaea at Feb 2, 2013 12:11:18 PM]
[Feb 2, 2013 12:10:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Booful

I'd just like to say that I was totally succeeding in my plan to not check the entry thread several dozen times a day. I was doing the whole "gonna wait until everything is done and finished! Really! I will be disciplined!" thing.

And then Clotho sent me a link to one she really liked. So much for that plan. Thanks, Clotho.

Edit: this avatar Apollo made for me CLEARLY has numbered days.

Guess Apollo will need to feel better soon so he can entr a new avatar as well ~.^
PixelPixie; I collect Sunfish, Angelfish, Blowfish Pixelpixie avvy's Avvy by me
[Feb 2, 2013 6:37:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jongy5

TOO.MANY.GOOD.ENTRIES.

[Feb 3, 2013 9:40:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Aeternis

I don't think there can be too many.

[Feb 3, 2013 9:47:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
joandart

Oh duh, I just realized I made separate posts within the entry threads, rather than going back and adding to the original post when I made something new. ( I guess I fail at alphabetizing.) Which would be better at this point, combining them, and having an undeletable "empty" post, or leaving the entries as they are?
Herowena of Cerulean
Still Sleeping With The Fishes

[Feb 10, 2013 2:25:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cattrin

Oh duh, I just realized I made separate posts within the entry threads, rather than going back and adding to the original post when I made something new. ( I guess I fail at alphabetizing.) Which would be better at this point, combining them, and having an undeletable "empty" post, or leaving the entries as they are?

-

Please post each entry in a separate post, even if you have more than one entry for the same entry thread.

I'm confused.
Cattrin of Cerulean

[Feb 10, 2013 2:49:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
joandart

I'm confused.

Ah, I guess I was, too. I read that the other way around. This time. But not when I posted the entries. There's influenza involved. I blame Apollo. Yes, that's it.
Herowena of Cerulean

[Feb 10, 2013 3:00:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Aeternis

Leave the entries as they are. Thalia stated that each entry has to be a separate post even if they are in the same thread.

[Feb 10, 2013 3:02:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cattrin

There's influenza involved. I blame Apollo. Yes, that's it.

Darn you gods and your ability to transmit celestial-contracted diseases through intangible things!

(No, really, I got sick from Apollo too, just after I posted his card.)

His pixels must be contagious.
Cattrin of Cerulean

[Edit 2 times, last edit by cattrin at Feb 10, 2013 3:05:28 PM]
[Feb 10, 2013 3:04:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Thalia
OceanMaster

/me gestures towards Locu's post. What he said.

Please give each entry its own post. Multiple posts for multiple entries in the same thread are perfectly fine and expected.
If someone accidentally posted more than just one entry in the same post, that's not a flat out DQ, no worries. Things just become problematic when it's not clear which entry is for which Ringer and in case of dolls which photos go with which doll.
[Feb 10, 2013 4:03:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
joandart

/me gestures towards Locu's post. What he said.

Please give each entry its own post. Multiple posts for multiple entries in the same thread are perfectly fine and expected.
If someone accidentally posted more than just one entry in the same post, that's not a flat out DQ, no worries. Things just become problematic when it's not clear which entry is for which Ringer and in case of dolls which photos go with which doll.

Thanks! I did it right the first time. Then I double-checked while under the inFLUence, and... I shouldn't have.
Herowena of Cerulean

[Feb 10, 2013 4:06:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cedie007

~changed double posts in one entry thread into separate entry threads XD

and then i realized, i still don't have an avatar for myself O_o
Demorga of Sage Emerald
[Feb 10, 2013 6:19:41 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
practitioner

Oh dear,

Just a quick question, I missed the date on the name card with the 2 dolls that I made as entries.
I have taken pictures of the completed dolls with the date now, but I cannot do the same for the materials used and work in progress as it is too late.

Is there any point now in changing the pictures or will this disqualify me from the competition.

I will upload the new pictures to the existing ones.
Delores of Emerald ocean.

Always yield to temptation, because it may not pass your way again.

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried.
[Feb 11, 2013 4:02:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Thalia
OceanMaster

Delores: The reason I'm asking for in progress shots and the card is to verify that the entry was made by you and for this contest, so please make sure the cards are at least in the finished shots. Without the cards in the progress shots things can get problematic, but not necessarily lead to a disqualification. As long as it's still clear that the entry is your original work from the progress shots you should be fine.
[Feb 11, 2013 8:34:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
practitioner

Thank you for your response.

The progress shots have a card in them showing it is my work

I just missed writing the year 2013 on the card.

I have uploaded shots of the dolls with the right information on the card now, I hope this will be fine.
Delores of Emerald ocean.

Always yield to temptation, because it may not pass your way again.

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried.
[Feb 11, 2013 2:53:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 406   Pages: 14   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates