• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 45
Posts: 45   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 4468 times and has 44 replies Next Thread
Clotho
OceanMaster

Create Seasonal Spring Trinkets for the game 2013! [Winners announced] Reply to this Post

The aim of this event is to introduce player-created seasonal trinkets that will be available for sale at the Palace Shoppe for a limited period. We aim to run this event approximately once every 3 months.

The deadline is 11:59:59pm game time on Monday January 28th 2013.
Entry thread

Trinket Size
The final trinket size must be 36 pixels wide by 39 pixels high .
Do not provide any image of your design larger than this.
You will need to host your image on an external site so that you can post the image.

Background
The background should be transparent (or plain white if you do not know how to produce a transparent background). Adrielle described a transparency method here. The trinkets use indexed colors and therefore cannot have any semi-transparent elements. The arrrtists can touch things up if they have to, but providing an image ready to go into the game will increase your odds of getting selected.

Content
The trinket may represent anything seasonal related to Spring, or to any popular holiday or event that takes place during the period from mid-March to mid-June . So, you could choose a generic Spring theme - spring weather, vacations, spring and outdoor activities. Or you could go for a particular holiday or date. Please avoid duplicating a trinket that already exists in the game.

If you do choose a National or religious event to commemorate, try to avoid overt national or religious symbology (picking a random example, if you're representing Wales, a daffodil is more likely to be used than a Welsh flag). Whatever the theme you choose, the content of must be appropriate to the game. Further clarification on this: the most important thing is that your trinket has a strong design and is visually appealing. In terms of picking a theme or holiday, it can be any seasonal occurrence or holiday that happens within the allotted time frame, particularly one that has a secular celebration or observance associated with it that can be represented with recognizable symbology of a non-religious or not-necessarily-religious nature. (e.g. anything from purely natural/seasonal themes to the secular celebration of Mardi Gras).

You can view the winning Spring trinkets from previous years here.

Originality
Designs should be your own, and created specifically for this event. One exception to this rule is that you may base your entry on YOUR OWN entry from a previous contest!

Colors
You can design your trinket to come in a single color variation, or in a range of colors, and you may use up to 3 color variations as many of the trinkets do. If you wish to have the trinket available in multiple colors, please provide two versions of it, in different colors, so it is clear which elements of the trinket change with the color choice.

If you're using the cloth-color selection, it's helpful to have one of your variants have RED as the changeable color area. If this isn't possible because of the colors elsewhere in your design, try GREEN or GOLD.

If you're using the bone-color selection, it's helpful to have one of your variants have RED as the changeable color area.

Style
You will want to design the trinket so that the artwork is compatible in style to the trinkets already in the game. Take a look at the YPPedia trinket page for an overview of the trinkets already available.
It should be obvious, but no animation!

Availability
The intention for these trinkets is that the winning entries will be available for purchase in the Palace Shoppe. They will be inscribable. It is just possible that the arrrtists will choose to use the trinket in a different way - for example, being used as an event prize. The final decision will be made by the arrrtists.

Prizes
A couple of your own trinkets when they become available and a pirate flag (furniture item)! In addition, if you haven't already been awarded it, you will get the Dread Masterpiece trophy when your trinket becomes available in the game.

Judging
There will be a single stage of judging, undertaken primarily by the arrrtists. They will identify the short list of trinkets that they would like to develop for inclusion in the game. They may wish to edit or adapt the trinket design to 'tweak' the design or to make it fit better with other in-game art. They may ask the player artist to make changes, or they may make changes themselves. The final decision on which trinkets are introduced to the game, and on the final design used, rests with these Ringers. Note that trinkets will only be introduced to the game if there are designs considered suitable. Trinkets chosen in this contest may be made available in-game on different dates and for different durations.

Number of entries
Each player may make just ONE entry post, and this post may include up to TWO designs.

How to enter, and deadline
Post your entry in the Entry Thread. Please include the following information at the top of your post:
* Pirate name:
* Ocean:
* Trinket name: (this is your name, but final name for the trinket will be an arrrtist decision)
* Theme / date: (explain what your trinket represents - the season generally, a particular holiday or event (give dates) etc)

If you have two trinket designs in your entry, remember to put in the entry information for both trinkets!

Include your design as an image in the post (see link below) - not as a link. If you intend the trinket to be available in multiple colors, include two versions of the trinket in different colors so that it is clear which pieces of the design change with each color choice.

The deadline is 11:59:59pm game time on Monday January 28th 2013.

Additional information

Links:
Entry thread (again!)
Trinket page
Adrielle's mini-guide to setting transparency
Standard color options
How to post an image on the forum
Reminder on how to reply to a post
Tips and tricks for entering events

(The next event will be the Summer theme posted around April, and covering trinkets relevant for those hot summer months).

Please feel free to post in this thread if you have comments, questions, suggestions, or words of encouragement. Good luck, and have fun!

Para español, haz clic aquí .
----------------------------------------

Hilando las hebras de la vida pirata...
[Edit 3 times, last edit by Clotho at Feb 2, 2013 12:41:22 PM]

[Jan 4, 2013 6:20:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
upgrade431

Re: Create Seasonal Spring Trinkets for the game 2013! Deadline: January 28th Reply to this Post

Can someone help me resize this image without distorting it? I've been using MS Paint, and I honestly can say I don't know how to.. :(

I'd like it to be a size acceptable for the contest (36 by 39 pixels)

-Upgradde on Cerulean and Emerald Ocean

-My words are my own, and are not a representation of others.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by upgrade431 at Jan 6, 2013 6:58:36 PM]
[Jan 6, 2013 6:57:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Luxewashere

Re: Create Seasonal Spring Trinkets for the game 2013! Deadline: January 28th Reply to this Post

Can someone help me resize this image without distorting it? I've been using MS Paint, and I honestly can say I don't know how to.. :(

I'd like it to be a size acceptable for the contest (36 by 39 pixels)

Just download a 30 day version of Photoshop and go to:
Image > Image Size.
Neda of Emerald

Over the Edge
[Jan 6, 2013 7:08:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
upgrade431

I dont want to download anything to my computer.. It will take like 30 minutes, my poor baby is already too slow :(

[Jan 6, 2013 7:13:41 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Luxewashere

I dont want to download anything to my computer.. It will take like 30 minutes, my poor baby is already too slow :(

Hmm, well maybe check this out: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Resize-a-picture-using-Paint . I hope that one helps.
Neda of Emerald

Over the Edge
[Jan 6, 2013 7:18:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cattrin

:)

If anyone else needs theirs shrunk I will gladly help out!
Cattrin of Midnight Cerulean (and sometimes Viridian Meridian)
Avatar by Apollo, Wiske, Shawe, Blakbead, Daeva, Bunnylaroo and Musicologist!

X tells ye, "Stop yo drawing fool!"

[Edit 2 times, last edit by cattrin at Jan 6, 2013 7:51:14 PM]
[Jan 6, 2013 7:36:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
upgrade431

Thanks so much! I couldn't seem to resize it while maintaining its dimensions and keeping it clean (without distortion)

[Jan 7, 2013 3:46:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Booful

If you want a free program that is great for both creating the art and resizing it, use paint.net It's what i used for my trinkets :)
PixelPixie; I collect Sunfish, Angelfish, Blowfish Pixelpixie avvy's Avvy by me
[Jan 7, 2013 9:46:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wuppypuppy2

Designs should be your own, and created specifically for this event. One exception to this rule is that you may base your entry on YOUR OWN entry from a previous contest!

What exactly do you mean by basing your entry on your own entry?
Can we just edit/improve our previous entries and submit them, or can we only base them on them and we have to start over?
Wayfarer of Meridian, formerly Malachite.
Wuppypuppy of Cerulean :)
I make avatars.
[Jan 10, 2013 1:05:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Clotho
OceanMaster

What exactly do you mean by basing your entry on your own entry?
Can we just edit/improve our previous entries and submit them, or can we only base them on them and we have to start over?

Both are allowed! It's your entry, you can choose to resubmit as is, improve and resubmit, or simply base a completely new design on an old one (provided it didn't win).

[Jan 10, 2013 2:42:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wuppypuppy2

Thank you ^_^
Wayfarer of Meridian, formerly Malachite.
Wuppypuppy of Cerulean :)
I make avatars.
[Jan 10, 2013 10:29:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
celiatr

Clotho wrote: 
Originality

Not to be mean or anything. But Greylady's entry for Pot of Gold is too simular to my entry from last year So by that, I would say her's is almost a copy of mine and not originality by how it is defined above. I hate to be mean about it, but it is just too simular to say its different.
Flutie
Midnight Cerulean Ocean

April 1, 2009 on Midnight Ocean [21:22:49] Eurydice broadcasts, "Okay, Flutie, this better be good."

ROMS ~ The Subforum/Dead Thread
[Jan 13, 2013 8:07:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Arghhpirate

Clotho wrote: 
Originality

Not to be mean or anything. But Greylady's entry for Pot of Gold is too simular to my entry from last year So by that, I would say her's is almost a copy of mine and not originality by how it is defined above. I hate to be mean about it, but it is just too simular to say its different.

The pot of gold is quite a generic image associated with St. Patrick's Day, so I wouldn't say Greylady was trying to intentionally copy you. As with all other entries, inspiration must be drawn from somewhere and a vast majority of them are never truly 'original'.

Plus, I did a little research, and I found an entry here from 2011...
[Jan 13, 2013 8:48:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Bunnylaroo

What Arghh said.
In addition, I, for one, barely remember the trinket designs I submit that don't get chosen, let alone those submitted by others, so I doubt the similarity was intentional. I can understand your being frustrated, especially if you planned on resubmitting that design. But if that's the case, I'd resubmit it anyway!

I did come here to ask a question though. I know that if we want our trinket to be color changing, we should make it either red/green or gold/green. My problem is my Pocket Pansy:

If I make it red/green, the green sort of blends in with the leaves, which I don't want to change. But if I make it red/gold, the gold sort of blends with the golden center, which I also don't want to change. So can I just say "the petals would change colors" or submit a variation that doesn't involve gold or green?
Bunnylaroo of Sage Emerald

[Jan 13, 2013 9:04:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Booful

I did come here to ask a question though. I know that if we want our trinket to be color changing, we should make it either red/green or gold/green. My problem is my Pocket Pansy:

If I make it red/green, the green sort of blends in with the leaves, which I don't want to change. But if I make it red/gold, the gold sort of blends with the golden center, which I also don't want to change. So can I just say "the petals would change colors" or submit a variation that doesn't involve gold or green?

I submitted my santa as a single color (initially intended for it not to change colors) but the arrrtists thought it should, so it may not really matter? Also, with my stuffed heart they changed completely different parts/sections than i initially thought should change...so I think there is a bit of freedom in that...maybe only change one color to red? or you could even change it to blue and orange or any other color if it gets the message across :)
[Jan 13, 2013 9:12:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Bunnylaroo

@Booful

Thanks for the quick reply! That really helped. Maybe I'll just leave it up to them ;P
Bunnylaroo of Sage Emerald

[Jan 13, 2013 9:17:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CapnKkatz

Clotho wrote: 
Originality

See my reply here.

BTW, I never looked at your entry - I got my inspiration from here.
Greylady, Meridian & Emerald
Greyladyy on Cerulean
Cronus tells ye, "...it's Hera's doing. She spread those horrid lies of me eating poor innocent babies. *burp*"
Cronus tells ye, "When in doubt blame Hera"
[Jan 13, 2013 9:54:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Clotho
OceanMaster

Follow up on some comments on the entry thread:
While we certainly look for original work, I believe Arghhpirate explained this situation quite eloquently. A pot of gold is a known, pretty much 'generic' image associated to leprechauns and St. Patrick's Day.

Edit: Further clarification about originality.
The rules state: Designs should be your own, and created specifically for this event. However, when it's a creation representing a generic image such as "a rainbow", "a teddy bear", "a pot of gold", "a corn husk doll", "a carved pumpkin" (to name a few), we are allowed to create our own rendition of such item.

As an example, in the trinket page you can find "shamrock", "dread shamrock" and "corn husk doll", "corn husk maiden" - that while each of them represents the same item the rendition is completely different and original. No one could claim ownership of a shamrock for example, or prevent future artists from using that concept because it's been used before, as long as the design itself is original and created for the event. The only exception would be if it's a clear copy of a previous rendition or someone else's interpretation of said item. The item itself is not the property of any one person (unless it's a copyright!)

In the future, questions regarding the originality or authenticity of a design should be brought to the attention of the OM in charge of the event via PM rather than making public posts.

Please keep comments on this thread and let's leave the entry thread just for entries. Thank ye!

[Edit 2 times, last edit by Clotho at Jan 15, 2013 7:52:52 PM]

[Jan 14, 2013 8:49:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Booful

I have a question regarding trinkets, can we enter each under a different pirate name and ocean? or do they have to be under the same name and ocean?
[Jan 16, 2013 9:55:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Clotho
OceanMaster

I have a question regarding trinkets, can we enter each under a different pirate name and ocean? or do they have to be under the same name and ocean?

Just one entry post per player, both designs same pirate and ocean is definitely preferred.

[Jan 16, 2013 9:58:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Booful

Ok...I guess you force my hand to enter ALL future trinket competitions!!! (you sneaky OM!)
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Booful at Jan 16, 2013 4:51:35 PM]
[Jan 16, 2013 10:15:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Clotho
OceanMaster

whistles innocently...

[Jan 16, 2013 10:23:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sanctimonia

How does this trinket idea look so far, everyone. I'm new at this so any advice is helpful. Suggestions?

My idea is a "Glass Bluebird"

[Jan 21, 2013 1:52:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cattrin

Suggestions?

My idea is a "Glass Bluebird"

Looks nice so far! However, it doesn't look too 'glass-like' at the moment. Are you trying to give it a look like those pretty crystal animals?

[here] [here] and [here] are some images I found of crystal bluebirds.

You can see that in those they're cut with polygons, I'm not sure if that's what you're going for, but it would be something to try in order to give it a bit more definition.

I'd also outline the beak, it's difficult to see in that bright of a yellow.

I'm a bit concerned that a glass bluebird might be too close to the newly introduced 'Parrot Ice Sculpture ' as well, but don't let that discourage you!
Cattrin of Midnight Cerulean (and sometimes Viridian Meridian)
Avatar by Apollo, Wiske, Shawe, Blakbead, Daeva, Bunnylaroo and Musicologist!

X tells ye, "Stop yo drawing fool!"

[Edit 1 times, last edit by cattrin at Jan 21, 2013 2:26:00 PM]
[Jan 21, 2013 2:23:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sanctimonia

Thanks for the help, I'll keep that in mind. I might also try to be more original, and try making wooden ducklings, or a series of color customizable "Spring Birds" instead.
[Jan 21, 2013 7:24:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
joandart

Cattrin's advice is excellent, but I want to add that "glass" and "crystal" aren't the same. So if you were envisioning a trinket in the style of the glass butterfly we have in the game, it would not be cut in facets. It would be smooth.
Herowena of Cerulean
Still Sleeping With The Fishes

[Jan 21, 2013 7:38:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ninatheonly

Just added the first of my entries though I'm not sure the name makes sense. :/
The utensil is supposed to be mounted INSTEAD of the hook in the hook holder.
However...right now it sounds like it's mounted ON the hook.

Can someone please make me a suggestion for a clearer better name please? ^_^

Hook mounted garden utensil

Theme: Spring

They say people who like gardening have a green thumb. Well you my pirate friend can have a green hook!! With this amazing never seen before <<Hook mounted garden utensils>> you are going to finally manage to have that amazing garden you always dreamed of!

Chiichan on Emerald Ocean
[Jan 22, 2013 8:03:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
joandart

Hand Trowel? :D
Herowena of Cerulean
Still Sleeping With The Fishes

[Jan 22, 2013 12:25:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Clotho
OceanMaster

Two days left!

[Jan 26, 2013 5:19:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
TexasBeesh

Hook Trowel! :D
Seatexan - on the Midnight side of Cerulean
LOW RACK PRICES AT DRESSED TO KILL - NAMATH
Always looking for Pollack Sloops!
[Jan 28, 2013 12:12:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 45   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2014 Three Rings Design, Inc. All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates