• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 94
Posts: 94   Pages: 4   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 9180 times and has 93 replies Next Thread
Clotho
OceanMaster

Limited Edition Portrait Background - Valentine's/Chinese New Year Edition! [Winners announced!] Reply to this Post

Ahoy mates! It's portrait background time again!

Winners!

Theme:
We're combining two themes this month. The first is Chinese New Year - on February 10th, it's the start of the Year of the Snake! The second theme is Valentine's Day. You can use any aspect of these themes as the inspiration for your portrait background.

Submissions:
Entrants will create original backgrounds that are consistent with the theme and style of the game. The image must look sensible with characters placed on it in any of the orientations possible for its size.
Entries must fit the appropriate scale.

1-pirate backgrounds: 348 x 650
2-pirate backgrounds: 696 x 650
Large backgrounds: 1600 x 1170
Expansive backgrounds: 2000 x 1275

Reworking entries:
To update an entry, please upload the latest version with the same file name as the previous version of the entry. If you want an alternative version rather than a replacement, multiple entries per artist are also acceptable. You can enter multiple times for any theme.

Only original art is accepted. You must create the images yourself.
References to copyrighted intellectual properties should be excluded from the entries. We don't want anyone laboring on some amazing art that has to be ignored because of this.

Plagiarized entries, photographs, and other unsuitable entries may be removed from the entry page without notice.
You may use reference materials for your work, but if you base your work substantially on a reference, please acknowledge it in your forum post. You do not need to acknowledge any game art used as reference material.

Upload your images to the YPPedia, name the file according to the naming scheme listed there, and also post links to the thumbnails here in this thread, for comment. If you want your pirate name to appear rather than your account name should you win, please follow the image tag scheme below carefully.

NOTE: Instructions for destination filename
The arrtists have requested a change to the naming of files uploaded to YPPedia for this contest. This naming scheme may not be the same as the general YPPedia file upload scheme, but we're hoping that it's distinctive enough that it won't cause undue confusion. Note that this is in addition to the requirements for the image tags.
Requested format for the filenames on YPPedia:
monthly_yourname_title_the_way_you_want_to_appear_in_game.png

All in lower-case and put underscores between all the separate words in the title (YPPedia will change the first m into M - don't worry about this). So, if I want my portrait background to appear as Clotho's Tangled Threads, I would use:
monthly_clotho_tangled_threads.png

Instructions for tags in the summary field
The tag for this contest is "jan13contest" so that we know which entries to consider when judging starts. The summary field for the upload, then, should be:
{{contesttag|accountname|creditname|Portrait Title}}
where
"contesttag" is replaced by this month's tag shown below, "accountname" is replaced by your own forum name
"creditname" is replaced by either your forum name again, or your pirate name, whichever you want credited with the background
"Portrait Title" is replaced by your suggested title for the portrait background

e.g. {{jan13contest|Clotho|Spinner|Loom}}
or {{jan13contest|Cassopia|Whitenose|Spindle}}

If the name to credit the portrait with is the same as the account name, it would go in twice.
e.g. {{jan13contest|Clotho|Clotho|Tangled Threads}}

Judging:
Quality of work, style, how well the background fits with the game's theme, and how well the placement of the portrait characters fit into the background are the primary determining factors.

The entries will be judged in the Three Rings offices by the arrrtists and the winner will be put into future releases as a Limited Edition portrait background. The portrait background may also be re-used for limited times later, and even (if appropriate) adopted as a longer-term or permanent portrait background, rather than a limited duration one. The same winning artist may be chosen more than once for different entries. Entrants may be asked by the arrrtists to make small changes to their designs after the judging.

Submitted works are eligible for winning future contests. Artists who entered backgrounds in a previous contest: if they are eligible for the current contest, please enter them again! We would love to reconsider them. Likewise, if a background does not win, it can be submitted for future contests, as long as it fits within the theme of each contest.

Prizes:
A winning entry will be included in the in-game list of available portrait backgrounds, usually for a limited duration. Anyone in the game can use it when it is available. Each winning entrant will also receive a Puzzle Pirates real-life item and a pack of playing cards in the mail, a free copy of his/her portrait in-game, choice of Bluebeard, Fishheadred or Greenbones egg or doll, and a clothing item of her choice in the color(s) of her choice.

The clothing item can be any item that can be ordered from a tailoring shoppe without needing a design or reputation. In the event of the same artist winning multiple prizes or multiple months, an additional clothing item can be substituted for the real-life prizes if the artist does not feel like having a household full of Puzzle Pirates Paraphernalia.

Deadline:
January 15th 2013, 11:59pm game time

Suggestions:
-- Make it look like it came right out of the game.
--Get your line weights down, and compare with existing portraits to be sure.
--Keep your lighting consistent with the lighting on the pirate portrait art.
--Choose a scene that many in the game would like to use.
--Take your time and rework, going to others for advice and critique.
--A very small signature in the lower right corner is acceptable.
--In general avoid words - if you do use them, use them minimally, and only when they are not central to the understanding of the portrait.
--Pay close attention to your composition - the composition of backgrounds related to pirate placement is a major consideration and sometimes otherwise good backgrounds are eliminated because the nicest elements are blocked by the pirates once they are in frame.

Other suggestions and links:
Questions, discussion, entries and feedback can all be posted here. Good luck!

Para leer este concurso en español, haz clic aquí
----------------------------------------

Hilando las hebras de la vida pirata...
[Edit 5 times, last edit by Clotho at Jan 21, 2013 10:19:43 AM]

[Dec 16, 2012 6:54:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cattrin

Re: Limited Edition Portrait Background - Valentine's/Chinese New Year Edition! [Deadline January 15th 2013] Reply to this Post

Time to stop procrastinating on my sailor's valentine!

I sketched it up over the summer thinking it would take a long time and I really should started it then (which I of course didn't) ...but now I have no idea where I put it.

/digs through folders
Cattrin of Midnight Cerulean (and sometimes Viridian Meridian)
Avatar by Apollo, Wiske, Shawe, Blakbead, Daeva, Bunnylaroo and Musicologist!

X tells ye, "Stop yo drawing fool!"

[Edit 1 times, last edit by cattrin at Dec 16, 2012 8:01:22 PM]
[Dec 16, 2012 7:53:41 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cobaltmonkey

Re: Limited Edition Portrait Background - Valentine's/Chinese New Year Edition! [Deadline January 15th 2013] Reply to this Post

Sweet! Looks like I can use my water snake idea for this instead! <3

I will definitely finish this idea then!
[Dec 18, 2012 12:10:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
boschetti

Hmm,

Tritón - Jade

Trabajando en Atlantis Domain (Web comic)
[Edit 2 times, last edit by boschetti at Dec 20, 2012 10:14:25 PM]
[Dec 20, 2012 2:36:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hikariks

Ive been meaning to ask this.... Can we make/use a different 2-facing pirates cut out? The one given in Yppedia isnt exactly.... friendly é-e; at least for me XD
So i was wondering if i could use this ^^;

By the way this is what ive been working in? ^^;

Yumisa World Wide ;)
Your Favourite Cookie Monster <3op
Can't find me? Im on Deviant Art!
[Dec 21, 2012 10:45:06 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Yngve6

Of course you can Yumi ;) It's just there to help you check what the final picture will look like. That new cutout is great for the valentine edition.
And I love your sunset <3

ok, all tired from pillying I started this one. I know not very chinese :( but pretty snakey, "Medusa" goes pp.

Rather basic sketch still, those columns look all finished because I reused them from some other background I was working on ;)
Inghild on Meridian
Yngve on Emerald
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Yngve6 at Dec 22, 2012 10:01:29 AM]
[Dec 21, 2012 11:08:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hikariks

Merry christmas! XD

Thought i would show how my painting is going while my other computer fixes .-.

I wish people were here to comment on how im doing so far XD ^^; if i need to change anything or something like that
Yumisa World Wide ;)
Your Favourite Cookie Monster <3op
Can't find me? Im on Deviant Art!
[Dec 25, 2012 2:13:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Booful

Merry Christmas all you wonderful Arrrrtists :)

@ Inghild, that looks awesome! I love the medusa twist on the year of the snake ^_^ Can't wait to see it done!

@ yumisa, its definitely coming along, i like the flower details you added, just wondering, is that water on the horizon or is it sand? If it's water, i would maybe try to add a bit of blue if possible? It just looks a bit too orange like the sky. Also perhaps some wave lines maybe so it doesnt look as flat?. Idk, just my opinion >.< Also, Something abut the right light green ridgeline looks a bit off, Can't place my finger on it...it may go away if you add more details, flowers rocks etc there maybe? Anyways these are just a couple things that caught my eye, hope they dont come accross as too harsh, and feel free to ignore me :)
PixelPixie; I collect Sunfish, Angelfish, Blowfish Pixelpixie avvy's Avvy by me
[Dec 25, 2012 6:31:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Notsizzly

I have two questions, even though I guess the answer is 'yes' for both.

- Can we use ready-made elements that the programs we use, offer for us? To be specific, there are some nice 'element shapes' in PS such as frames, ornaments and bubbles - using these is okay, aye?

- We can have multiple entries... so even 3 or 4?
Sizzly of Emerald.

Buying Lexicon's and Ringer eggs.
[Dec 26, 2012 2:09:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Yngve6

@notsizzly: you can enter with as many backgrounds as you like. Not sure about the ready made elements.

And some update on medusa. Decided to drop the pillars and add some green fire torches instead. The pirate outlines should be turned into stoned pirates. The stairs and floor are going to be black I think. Not sure yet what I'm going to add to the floor to not just have it looking as one solid black plain.

Edit: thought I would update this one rather than adding a post. Just some minor changes, detailing medusa.

Big picture
Inghild on Meridian
Yngve on Emerald
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Yngve6 at Dec 28, 2012 7:24:43 AM]
[Dec 26, 2012 6:43:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Notsizzly

@notsizzly: you can enter with as many backgrounds as you like. Not sure about the ready made elements.

Thank you - browsing through the portrait backgrounds in YPPedia, I noticed few with those elements being used in them so I assume it's ok.

Here's one that I've been working on... but now I got a vague memory that something like this has been done before, though I wasn't able to find one.

Sizzly of Emerald.

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Notsizzly at Dec 27, 2012 1:07:06 PM]
[Dec 27, 2012 1:06:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CapnKkatz

Here is my entry for Year of the Snake. Any suggestions? I appreciate any feedback you'd like to offer. :)

...and with the pirates

Greylady, Meridian & Emerald
Greyladyy on Cerulean
Cronus tells ye, "...it's Hera's doing. She spread those horrid lies of me eating poor innocent babies. *burp*"
Cronus tells ye, "When in doubt blame Hera"
[Dec 27, 2012 10:17:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cattrin

So here's what I've been thinking about:

Still debating on which shells to use and the size of the valentine itself.

My family has gone on frequent trips to Sanibel Island in Florida for our entire lives, and we always go shelling. I swear we spent an entire trip just looking for tiny wentletraps once.

Anyways, they have a shell museum there that has a sailor's valentine bigger than me (and I'm 6 foot), which gave me the idea to do one for a background. :)

Here is my entry for Year of the Snake. Any suggestions?

I think there should be more distinction between the sky and the water, it sortof blends together right now.

[Edit 1 times, last edit by cattrin at Dec 28, 2012 6:33:32 AM]
[Dec 28, 2012 6:26:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Mariller

Does anyone have Suggestions on making these fit the art style better?

Main account: Mariller on Emerald
Best stats
Sailing: Legendary (Collison/Marriler)
Treasure drop: Legendary (Collison)
Rumble: Legendary (Mariller)
Poker: Ultimate
[Dec 28, 2012 1:27:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Notsizzly

To Mariller: I am not of any help with your question but what I've seen, is a lot of different styles of art when it comes to player-created backgrounds.

---

Then, two backgrounds I've been working on, too. If you have feedback, go ahead but be gentle :P

Sizzly of Emerald.

[Dec 28, 2012 11:02:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
deathtolll

Quite proud of the outcome.

Dricenticore says, "Normally I don't believe people who say they're girls on the internet but since you went from friendly to hostile in about 3 seconds"

Deathmessage on the Emerald Ocean.
[Dec 29, 2012 4:48:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cattrin

Does anyone have Suggestions on making these fit the art style better?

On the two-pirate, I would try to use less realistic textures and more 'game-like', with outlines. There also isn't a good sense of where your light is coming from, so you could also work on casting shadows.

The one-pirate looks nice, but the sand and water would not be that bright if it were nighttime, and everything would have sortof a night bluish hue. [example off of google]

Quite proud of the outcome.

I don't mean to be harsh, and feel free to ignore me, but I feel like the look of your image is too 'stock', like you've taken some royalty-free textures and graphics and put them together (especially with the clouds, the one in the blue area and the ones in the orange look disjointed). Your clouds, grass and the tree look very realistic, but I'm not sure if they are too realistic.

[Edit 2 times, last edit by cattrin at Dec 29, 2012 8:13:32 AM]
[Dec 29, 2012 8:10:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
deathtolll

I don't mean to be harsh, and feel free to ignore me, but I feel like the look of your image is too 'stock', like you've taken some royalty-free textures and graphics and put them together (especially with the clouds, the one in the blue area and the ones in the orange look disjointed)

I created the brushes for the clouds.

Dricenticore says, "Normally I don't believe people who say they're girls on the internet but since you went from friendly to hostile in about 3 seconds"

[Edit 1 times, last edit by deathtolll at Dec 29, 2012 8:20:57 AM]
[Dec 29, 2012 8:20:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cattrin

I created the brushes for the clouds.

I'm not saying you didn't, I'm just saying that they look too realistic, too like a brush.

[Dec 29, 2012 8:26:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
deathtolll

too like a brush.

It's what portrait's are painted with aren't they. ;) Kidding.

[Dec 29, 2012 8:35:24 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Distructible

too like a brush.

It's what portrait's are painted with aren't they. ;) Kidding.

Well, lets say that 2012's technology allows us to make our work easier (we all do that). I think the clouds are fine, what bothers me is that over half of the image is pure black, I know the impact of the sky with the black part looks good but I there is a little too much black. Maybe you can try to add some more texture on the ground so it looks more detailed. Anyway, feel free to ignore me :p, it is just my point of view.
Masters on Emerald.
[Dec 29, 2012 8:47:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Phamy

Greylady: LOVE the way you did the deck and the canons and the canon balls. If you try to create the same effect you have with the canon balls with the dragon I think it would work out a lot better. I do also love the blue background! keep it up! it will look amazing!

Cattrin: I love your idea. Looks like a lot of work but you will pull it off! I do think that your shield should be moved up because now only the pirates with spance in between them can use this. but the other version would obscure the fiew of the heart. and that would be a shame because it looks fantastic with those wings. can't wait to see further.

Mariller: I am liking the way this is turning out because you have a good basic image. What program do you use and what is available to you?

Sizzly: I adore your backgrounds already! although I don't think the grey hearts really work out. but what color would... I love the yellow. the pillow one is just SO CUTE! its so fluffy I'm gonna die! (who catches that reference) But maybe try to make them a little more fluffyer or into game style. if you do that... it would blow my mind! I recomment the smudge tool for that! :P

Deathmessage O_o you made those brushes?! and the tree? AMAZING! it looks so pretty. I don't think I mind the darkness but I do think it looks a little too much like a photo. if you could make the tree a little more artsy (and that is difficult I know... because you would lose a lot of detail) or make the sky a little more artsy I think it would work out better... maybe the sky is a better idea because I am in love with that tree!

Ok... I'm stopping now :P So many great entries... I'm starting mine in Jan!

huggles
[Dec 29, 2012 1:17:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CapnKkatz

@ Pharmy -

If you try to create the same effect you have with the canon balls with the dragon I think it would work out a lot better.

Umm...not sure exactly what you mean. More shiny looking like the cannon balls? I'll see what I can do. Also will try some alternate sky colors and post for opinions.

Okay, so I got this idea in my head and just had to do it! A combo of Valentine's Day and Year of the Snake entitled "Hugs and Hisses"! This is really just a sketch, and I'll probably make the snakes more like the in-game serpents, but just wanted to put the idea out there, 'cause it makes me giggle. :)

Any early comments/suggestions/feedback?

Greyladyy on Cerulean
Cronus tells ye, "...it's Hera's doing. She spread those horrid lies of me eating poor innocent babies. *burp*"
[Dec 29, 2012 9:16:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Yngve6

@greylady
Love it so far greylady. I was looking for a way to combine the snake and valentine theme, but couldn't come up with something good. This is great :) got to love the title as well.
Don't know how you are going to color everything. When I look at it I see a heart shaped window looking out into a garden. Or perhaps part of a trellis covered with flowers.

About the dragon. I agree with cattrin and phamy on the colors of the ocean, sky and even the sea snake. They are too much alike at the moment. Not a big thing but the wheels on the cannons are rather small.
I think the snake looks a bit flat atm. I think that's what Phamy meant as well. The canons look nice and round, I guess that's because it has more 'layers' of shading. So applying an darker shade to the edges of the snake would make it look a bit rounder.

@cattrin
I think this is going to look great. Reminds me of the stained glass december doodle.

@Mariller
I like the idea of the stained glass heart. Cattrin is right about the style I think. Try outlining the outside of your window and the main lines of the pillars and stairs

As for the single pirate version. Did you check it with a pirate in it? I think the pirate is going to cover the moon, which would be a shame.

@nonsizzly
The pink one is cute :) I like the one with the hearts and feathers as well. The feathers and hearts could use a bit more shading on them. I would place the pillow (?) a bit more to the left, so that the pirate covers less of it.
As for the last one. I don't think hearts should be grey :p A bit more shading on the ropes will make them look rounded and more interesting as well.

@deathtoll
I think it's amazing that you could make something like that. It amost looks like a photo. I do fail to see the relation with the theme ;) Or is it romantic valentine? It is a romantic scene, just not typical valentine. I would change the grass a little, a bit more variation in height and shape. What masters said, put some sky colored grass in the black area to give it some depth.
Inghild on Meridian
Yngve on Emerald
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Yngve6 at Dec 30, 2012 3:45:50 AM]
[Dec 30, 2012 3:26:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Phamy

Phamy :P not Pharmy :)

Oh I had the same ideas with the snakes!! now I have to think up something new :P
[Dec 31, 2012 1:21:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CapnKkatz

Phamy :P not Pharmy :)

Oh I had the same ideas with the snakes!! now I have to think up something new :P

Aww....sorry! Well, not really - glad I got the idea out there first, lol! Anyway, here is an update. Still need to shade, probably add leaves to the naked tree, maybe change the eyes to just black, etc., but otherwise, comments? Feedback? Thanks!

Greyladyy on Cerulean
[Dec 31, 2012 3:36:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Phamy

The link is broken :( I can't see the image
[Jan 1, 2013 7:17:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CapnKkatz

hmmmm.....it looks okay to me. Is anyone else having issues seeing the image? I know the forums in general have been having a lot of issues, maybe that's the problem?? Otherwise, idk what the problem is.
Greyladyy on Cerulean
[Jan 1, 2013 9:48:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Raalala

hmmmm.....it looks okay to me. Is anyone else having issues seeing the image? I know the forums in general have been having a lot of issues, maybe that's the problem?? Otherwise, idk what the problem is.

I can see it, looking really pretty!
~ Bambeh

Johnydepp says; 'BatBam, your f-ing play on words fetish'
Priapus says; 'Mate, look at his screen, you could play chess on that.'

[Jan 2, 2013 1:43:52 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Notsizzly

Thank you for the feedback <3.

The pink heart one is pretty much the final version I'll be entering. This one started out with the hearts being made of iron (thus why they were grey) but I changed them since the idea didn't come out clear enough - purple goes with yellow since they compliment each other and I'm happy with it now :).

What comes to the pillow one... that one has had 84 trillion ideas, changes, trial and error moments so far. It'll be different than the original idea but oh well. I find myself spending too much time fiddling around with it and that's not always too good - the more I use my time for it, the more critical about it I become ><.

Oh and can I just say, Greylady, that I find the tree nice as it is, 'naked' :P.
Sizzly of Emerald.

[Jan 2, 2013 4:03:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 94   Pages: 4   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2014 Three Rings Design, Inc. All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates