• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 31
Posts: 31   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 5006 times and has 30 replies Next Thread
Apollo
OceanMaster

December Doodle #3 [WINNERS ANNOUNCED] Reply to this Post

8 December - Edible sculptures!

Contest opens now! Contest will finish at midnight at the end of Monday night.

Your task today is to create a seasonal model from food. You need to create one of the following objects:
-- a Santa
-- a Snowman
-- a Candle

You may only use edible materials (so no non-edible structural, decorative or adhesive elements). Things like food coloring, colored icing etc, are fine to use. It's your choice of foodstuffs, your choice of size and style. I would like to see a 3D item, rather than a 'flat' picture. However, if your available materials will only manage 'flat', then go ahead and do that! In judging, I will try to take account of the materials used, to allow for creative use of ingredients, and to allow some consideration for how difficult the materials used would have been (e.g. a Santa made entirely from fruits may be more difficult to make than a snowman made from store-bought fondant icing!). Enjoy!

You will need to take
-- a starting photograph of your edible materials
-- an in-progress shot
-- a final shot of your creation
-- a shot of your finished creation plus a card saying your pirate name and ocean

When you've chosen your final shot, resize or crop it so that it's no larger than 600 x 600 pixels, then save it as a .jpg or .png. You'll then need to upload it to a hosting site - either web space of your own, or one of the many file hosting services available, such as flickr.com, photobucket.com, imageshack.com. You then have a url for your image. Do the same for any other images you have taken, but those can be larger images, as you won't be including the image itself in your entry post. Make sure your image links do not require viewers to register or download anything. Use the "Preview" button before posting your entry, to make sure the image is showing correctly. Remember to press "Reply to this post" instead of "Post new thread"!

In your event post, you should include:
-- pirate name and ocean
-- your best 'finished shot' posted as an image into the thread using image tags, as shown here
-- your materials and ID shots, plus any additional pictures you want to include, posted as URLs rather than images.

As a reminder, please read the general rules before posting.
Include your pirate name and ocean at the top of your post, then the finished shot of your creation, then the urls to additional images hosted elsewhere.

Go Doodle!
----------------------------------------
[Edit 3 times, last edit by Apollo at Dec 16, 2012 8:49:22 AM]
[Dec 8, 2012 12:01:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
Ladylego

Re: December Doodle #3 [Deadline end Monday 10th December 2012] Reply to this Post

Squeezeee... So excited!!! Nearly fainted when I saw this event.. Thank you so much Apollo for distracting me from my list of orders I have on...

Better get on with it....

White chocolate cake pops
Gingerbread
Icing made
Chocolate truffles cooling as we speak

see you in a few hours...

So nothing none edible has been used at all in making this.... the house is made from gingerbread (thank god i just bought my gingerbread house mould), and "glued" together using royal icing mix,the roof tiles are chocolate buttons, the snow men are made from white chocolate cake pops and chocolate truffles wrapped in fondant icing decorated with my edible cake pens and edible herb twigs for the arms, the penguin is a chocolate truffle with white icing and the christmas tree is pure fondant.. the "snow" is coconut, and you have jellytots and laces as decoration.

Ingredients

fondent icing

house

snow man

in progress
[Edit 3 times, last edit by Ladylego at Dec 8, 2012 6:57:57 AM]
[Dec 8, 2012 3:26:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cattrin

Re: December Doodle #3 [Deadline end Monday 10th December 2012] Reply to this Post

Cattrin on Cerulean.

I've always had tons of extra candy canes after the holidays, and they're becoming a bit chewy after so many years, so why not use them in a doodle?

Candy candle!

[unlit] [with more melty wax] [with name]

[materals] - white chocolate, food colouring, an orange (for the wick), peppermint sticks, marshmallow, caramel, (oh, and the cream you see in some of the pictures was used after colouring the chocolate to balance out the thickening it caused)
[progress][2]

Quick explination: I used four candy canes, broke them all at about the same length, then "glued" them together using the chocolate. After that dried, I stuck it firmly into a marshmallow for support and "crumb coated" the fused sticks with uncoloured chocolate. Then died the rest a festive green for the second coat. Before the second coat dried completely I added the wick (made of the stringy white bits you usually pull off your orange once you open it down the center) and flame (hard caramel that I worked into that shape).

And, of course, the best candles aren't nice and clean, they're bulbous and reformed from hours of wax collecting.
Cattrin of Cerulean
Avatar by Apollo (we miss you :c), Blakbead, Angelira, Coriander, and Accelerator!

X tells ye, "Stop yo drawing fool!"

[Edit 5 times, last edit by cattrin at Dec 9, 2012 5:41:29 PM]
[Dec 8, 2012 6:41:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Bunnylaroo

Bunnylaroo, Emerald

I'm sure that this thread will shortly be filled with delightfully decorated sweet food sculptures, so I thought I'd try a savory one. Actually, I was just really in the mood for knish today. Therefore, I give you

Knish-y the Snowman
Pictures are tiny because they are from my phone :(

~* Knishy the Snowman,
Was a salty, starchy soul.
With an onion smile,
And a pepper nose,
And two eyes made out of mustard!
*~

He may look browner than your average snowman, but Knish-y and I live in Southern California, where the pressure to tan is very high.

In case you have the misfortune of never having tasted knish, it's a potato filled pastry ball of deliciouness and wonder. Materials for the dough are mixed together and then kneaded. The filling is made of mashed potatoes, carmelized onions (shown here pre-carmelization, parsley, and an egg (not pictured, in the materials, but it's there I promise).

Dough rolled out.
Filling on top. Next, you roll the dough like a jelly roll until it covers the filling, and cut it to the desired size.
Pre-baking.
Baked, without a face.
Face decorating materials, and an apple that was used for snowflakes and general "ambience".
Close up of Knish-y's face.
Bunnylaroo of Sage Emerald

[Dec 8, 2012 4:21:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
maiooch

rhodanite -cerulean

materials

in progress

with ID card

Ingredients:
Marshmallows, Cajun Crab Dip, Carrot, String Cheese and although edible you may not want to eat it although as soon as pix were taken 2 of my cats decided to lick it >.<
Rhodanite of Cerulean formerly of Midnight
Queen of Bedlam
[Edit 1 times, last edit by maiooch at Dec 8, 2012 7:21:11 PM]
[Dec 8, 2012 7:18:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
joandart

Herowena of Cerulean

I am the eggman, they are the eggmen, I am the egg snowman.

(Forum Events have made over-documenting an ingrained habit.)
Ingredients- I didn't use everything. Some stuff was there because if I couldn't make the eggs balance, I was just going to carve a potato and ketchup Santa.
The egg came first
Then a sweet (potato) nose
Socket to him
All scarves should smell so good
His hat is a real dilly
Landscaping- Salt snow, with pickle and tomato presents.
A closer-up
My new camera bites. :(
Herowena of Cerulean
Still Sleeping With The Fishes

[Dec 8, 2012 9:14:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
seleennn

Seleenn and da potato man <33 yum yum

taa daa , here is my son , i mean dinner =x

Peeled Potatoes

rdy to Boil - added some salt

Grated some cheese for decoration =o

mashed it! and added some butter and cheese

Body and face done( olive eyes, carrot nose and sausage mouth) yumm

finished his hat and added other details :P
Seleenn on Meridian
The Evil Twin of Boysenberry ;)

[Dec 9, 2012 8:20:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Aeternis

Locu of Cerulean

As it's December, that means it's marzipan and chocolate time (and food colours, they are important!):
Materials

And you need candles!

Work in progress

Image with name tag

Manual:

Take some marzipan ( I used about 500 g and about 200 g of powdered sugar to have it easier to work with) and chocolate sticks (I used 2 and ate the rest....) as well as food colours (use till you get the desired colour)
colour 100 g and wrap around 350 g around 2 chocolate sticks to have the wick. make a thin layer out of the red marzipan and wrap it around the base candle. take some red marzipan to model the lower part of the flame, then use some uncoloured marzipan for the upper part of the flame.
Eat and read about diets for next year...
Locu on Cerulean and Opal (and some other Oceans)

Check the Rack at Phakey's Tailor Stall on Tinga for nice clothes!
Locu's Weaving Stall on Tinga and Cranberry

[Dec 9, 2012 10:35:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ocelotspot

Sallymae, Meridian

stuff wot I had in my kitchen
(the marshmallow fluff wasn't working so I switched to cream cheese)
rutabaga carving
and with name
Sallymae of Meridian
[Dec 9, 2012 4:34:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Arghhpirate

Arghhpirate, Meridian

All we seem to have at home are oranges, oranges and more oranges. And some pepper? Would have taken a better picture, but I had to get rid of the evidence, om nom nom... Bye bye Mr. Snowman... :D

Materials
Progress: 1, 2, 3, and 4.
[Dec 9, 2012 6:35:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Snowpixie

imp, Meridian. I like snow. But, I made caaaandles.

Pics, at dinner and at night. I forgot to light the banana candle!

Supplies. And making iced tea. Looks organised, doesn't it? That didn't last long.
Sinky test: Mentos, gluggy rice, meringue, watermelon banana, apple, strawberries, marshmallows, marshmallow fondant, biscuity things.
Making a banana-coloured banana candle holder.
Mixing meringue, flame test. Nuts. Edible before and after the flame-roasting. The 3 that worked were almond slivers, macadamia and pine nuts. Whole almonds and cashews, not so much. Look out, my new gas stove lighter thingummy is not so much a lighter as a blowtorch in disguise :S
Colouring Meringue mixture. Hera purple, Clotho white, Atropos black and Sunny yellow.
Ready for baking!. The sunny ones turned out hotter than anticipated.
All the little candles set up and ready to go.
We're on fire!
Imp, totally sane mermaid-siren of Meridian.
Superdoodle avatar by Budclare =D
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Snowpixie at Dec 10, 2012 2:31:43 AM]
[Dec 9, 2012 11:37:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jippeh14

Jippy, Meridian - Santa Apple

Materials
Progress (Santa's beard appears!)
Final Mr. Santa Apple

Jippy of Meridian
[Dec 10, 2012 5:52:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Tasjatjuh

Tasjatjuh, Cerulean

So.. I love chocolat fondue, so why not a Pina chocolada Snowman!?

I used: Pineapples, White chocolat for snowy's body, his hat is made on fondant covered in dark chocolat. His nose is a orangepeel, His eyes and mouth are from chocolat in a tube, his scarf is fondant with sprinkles, his buttons are edable decorative balls and his arms are made of cinnamon.
And of course some coconut for snow with a white and dark chocolat sprinkles path.

Unfortunatly the pictures are a bit dark, I just finished it but it was already dark outside.

Materials ( added some coconut later on:[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/339/014mdl.jpg/][IMG]http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/145/014mdl.jpg[/IMG]

In progress 1: [URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/849/017cv.jpg/][IMG]http://img849.imageshack.us/img849/9925/017cv.jpg[/IMG]

In progress 2:[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/846/018in.jpg/][IMG]http://img846.imageshack.us/img846/736/018in.jpg[/IMG]

In progress 3:[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/27/045lx.jpg/][IMG]http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/8679/045lx.jpg[/IMG]

Picture with name:[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/442/055wj.jpg/][IMG]http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/7037/055wj.jpg[/IMG]

edit: added more in progress pictures

Edit: The story after.. So after I posted my entry, I went to clean the kitchen. During the whole process of making the snowman, I kept my dog out of the kitchen for his own safety with the loads of chocolat that I was using. So during the cleaning, I dropped the box of chocolat sprinkles for the counter , I could just catch it falling except up side down... ( and cursing the alphabet) All the sprinkles scattered on the floor. Mr. munchy wasnt anywhere to be found luckaly, so i started cleaning it up, then when I looked behind me.. There he was! munching away on the spinkles! ( trust me, he doesnt come in silence, you normally know he is there so he must have been luring already and wore socks! I went crazy and took him out of there, not knowing how many he had, tried everything to make him sick but it wasnt working.. So rushing to the vet it was. I dont know why but my dog loves going there, when they say, Tommy is next, he goes in like, OHHH Thats MEE!!, here I am!! Whoohoo.. only I knew he wasnt going to come out as happy as he just went in. The vet gave him something to make him sick and we waited... and waited.. till finally the sprinkles came out, I will spare you with the details. The vet said, he will probably be a little sick a few times at home. But that also included twice in my car. On the seat and my shifting gear... Without any details: [URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/138/001okz.jpg/][IMG]http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/1705/001okz.jpg[/IMG]

he was fine after a few hours, but he does like to stretch it a bit because he likes the non stop cuddling. yes.. he plays to be ill to get attention too, but I was just happy he was FINE!
definatly the last time I made anything out of chocolat...
Tasjatjuh on Cerulean

Someone once asked me, 'Why do you always insist on taking the hard road?' I replied, 'Why do you assume I see two roads?'

Avi by amazing Cattrin :)
[Edit 3 times, last edit by Tasjatjuh at Dec 11, 2012 1:59:30 AM]
[Dec 10, 2012 8:29:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Phamy

Phamy of Meridian

Ok I am TERRIBLE at making things :P or I just didn't think this through. I did have a LOT of FUN!!! It was absolutely great to make!

Here is the link with all that I used and the progress
Link!

And here is the finished Cupcake Snowman! (melting)

bigger image
[Dec 10, 2012 12:40:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
bisquick

Bisquick - Cerulean

So... growing up on Calvin and Hobbes, my concept of snowmen is a little skewed. With that disclaimer... I present my snowmen...

The bodies and pins are marshmallow (I zapped some marshmallow in the microwave and wrapped the bodies in that to smooth them out a little). Eyes, mouth, and button are the Krackel bar crumpled up. The ground snow is flour. Not shown in the materials shot is a craisin for the ball's mouth... I thought I was done troubleshooting when I took the material's shot, but I was wrong :P

Materials
In Progress 1: wrapping marshmallow in melted marshmallow
In Progress 2: You're sticking what where?
Finished with namecard

Other views:
Ah, the poor head
Side shot
Some shuffling around
!!! (I just like this guy)
Bisquick - Midnight (turned Cerulean), and all other oceans
Captain of Ransack Marauders
[Dec 10, 2012 12:47:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest    http://bisqy.livejournal.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
tilinka

Tilinka, Emerald
Candle !
(We were making rice crispie cookies, so I commandeered some of the marshmallows)

Materials
In progress
Finishe
Tilinka, Emerald
Perilous Puppet
Artsy Stuff
[Dec 10, 2012 4:00:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.perilouspuppets.com    Tilinka    3569427 [Link]  Go to top 
lilymoon

Faeree of Emerald

I present the somewhat melted, but newly snowed upon Banana snowman!

Materials
Items missing in this shot are flour and pretzels *in the photo is powdered sugar. Items not used was the cran-raisins. Fried rice was used to create landscape (which got covered up with flour and powdered sugar).
In-Progress
Card
Faeree ~ Illustrious Wanderer on all oceans ~
Apollo wrote: 
(Is it wrong that I'm now just a tiny bit in love with Faeree's brother?)

[Dec 10, 2012 4:59:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Faeree [Link]  Go to top 
iPartyHard

Etiquette on Meridian

Materials (Added craisins later on)

Work In Progress

Finished! (Couldn't get all three of them in the same picture because the snowmen started melting D: ) [Link 1] [Link 2] [Link 3]

Etiquette on Meridian.
[Dec 10, 2012 7:16:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CapnKkatz

Greylady of Meridian

Here is my Sweet and Savory Potato Santa. I only had one small sweet potato, so my chimney turned out to be very small, making it a VERY tight fit for Mr. Potato-Santa. In fact, he just gave up trying to make it down the chimney, and is now seen standing beside it, pondering how to deliver his presents.

I had originally thought of making a full-legged Santa with cookie-crumb colored boots, mango-skin colored hat and clothes, etc., but the carving took much longer than I anticipated. :(

Anyway, here are the links for materials (only ended up using the potato and sweet potato), putting parts together using sweet potato stakes, progress shot and finished Santa trying to squeeze down the chimney.
Greylady, Meridian & Emerald, Greyladyy on Cerulean

"In a courtroom, it is not the loudest voice that prevails...it's the Constitution." WA AG
[Dec 10, 2012 7:25:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cloverwood

[Pirate]: TheRunt
[Ocean]: Cerulean
Entry:
Double-Baked Brownie Candle

Ingredients: (Candle Holder) French Toast, Bagel Chip, (Candle) Brownie Mix, Spaghetti, (Flame) Peanut
Progress (1) (2) (3)
Prototype - More Progress

TheRunt (Cerulean)
[Dec 10, 2012 7:31:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Missmelany

Melany Emerald

Cake candles.

Start

Progress

Messy but done

All done! I would strongly recommend not baking cakes in soup cans.

Melany

Awesome Avatar by Tilinka
[Dec 10, 2012 7:50:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dexla

Dexla on Cerrrrruuuulean
Blame Herowena

I made a snowman. And I also pretended it was July.
Please put on your black turtle necks and sunglasses before proceeding.

To appreciate this doodle, one must be able to embrace the beauty of the TRULY final stage of snowman creationism, which is of course, it transcendence into the next plane of reality, and through deconstruction, we can find deeper appreciation of its existence.

The PROGRESS
I call it "CONSTRUCTION: The becoming"
This we shall call "MATERIALIZATION: The being"
Here were have "DEFLATION: Not quite being in the same state you were just previously"

And I present to you "SNOWMAN COGITATION: A fleeting moment, no regrets"

And here is "OBLIGATION: Final with a name card"
MATERIALS: I was certain to include the most disgusting forms of what we call "cheese" here. Added shock value - FREE!
Dexla d'Midnight
[Dec 10, 2012 9:21:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Vellanora

Velternal, Meridian
Candy snowman lalala

Materials, my mess, (plus I used a cookie and a jellybean!) and cozy with his card. <3
(Please forgive my image quality? >.< My camera was mia and my phone is lacklustre).
Velternal noms.
Velternal, Meridian.
I draw Avatars!.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Vellanora at Dec 10, 2012 10:45:18 PM]
[Dec 10, 2012 10:35:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Apollo
OceanMaster

This contest closes in one hour!
[Dec 10, 2012 10:59:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
celiatr

Flutie of Cerulean

DANG YOU APOLLO AND CHALLENGE ME TO NOT EAT IT RIGHT AWAY!!!

Used royal icing (powder sugar, water), rice krispy treats (marshmellow, butter, cereal), icing dye, sugar sheets, and wedge from orange gumdrop.

Because I wanted to challenge myself, I made all three items.

Santa, Snowman, and Candle. Though, I'm not all thrilled how the Santa came out, rest I'm pleased with.

Materials
Progress 1
Progress 2
Progress 3
Progress 4
Progress 5
Snowman Closeup
Candle Closeup
Santa Closeup
Flutie
Midnight Cerulean Ocean

April 1, 2009 on Midnight Ocean [21:22:49] Eurydice broadcasts, "Okay, Flutie, this better be good."

ROMS ~ The Subforum/Dead Thread
[Dec 10, 2012 11:12:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Apollo
OceanMaster

Re: December Doodle #3 [WINNERS ANNOUNCED] Reply to this Post

Ahoy! Sorry for the delay in judging these ones. It looks like you had a LOT of fun! Congratulations to everyone on imaginative use of ingredients. I'd also award a Shiny Sun Point to Tasjatjuh's dog out of sympathy, if I didn't think he eat it!

Our edible sculpture winners are:
Imp of Meridian, and Sallymae of Meridian. They each win a bouquet of white daisies.

Runners-up are:
Bisquick of Cerulean and Velternal of Meridian

Honorable mentions go to:
Herowena, Arghhpirate and Greylady

Shiny Sun Points

10 Shiny Sun Points go to Imp and Sallymae.
5 Shiny Sun Points each go to Bisquick and Velternal.
1 Shiny Sun Point each goes to Herowena, Arghhpirate and Greylady.

I hope all your creations were delicious as well as wonderful to look at! (Although... cheese and chocolate snowman, egg and pickle snowman... probably not!)
[Dec 16, 2012 8:39:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
Snowpixie

Thanks! We had fun, although my imagination still trumped the messier reality =D
Imp, totally sane mermaid-siren of Meridian.
Superdoodle avatar by Budclare =D
[Dec 16, 2012 2:40:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
joandart

What? Eggs and pickles are great together. Sweet potatoes and pickles, not so much.
Thanks for the shoiny!
Herowena of Cerulean
Still Sleeping With The Fishes

[Dec 16, 2012 3:34:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CapnKkatz

Woohoo! Another Shiny Sun Point! Yay!! Congrats to all of the winners and HM's - this was lots of fun! Thanks Apollo! :)
Greylady, Meridian & Emerald, Greyladyy on Cerulean

"In a courtroom, it is not the loudest voice that prevails...it's the Constitution." WA AG
[Dec 16, 2012 5:41:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
bisquick

<3 Thank you
Bisquick - Midnight (turned Cerulean), and all other oceans
Captain of Ransack Marauders
[Dec 18, 2012 1:50:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest    http://bisqy.livejournal.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 31   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates