• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 13
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 5497 times and has 12 replies Next Thread
RaeR

GREETER APPRECIATION DAY!! Reply to this Post

I've looked for anything familiar to this and can't find anything, so here goes...

I would like some kind of recognition for all of us greeters. I've played PP for about 6 years now, and have never seen one single thing done for or about us greeters. We work hard to follow the rules and answer the questions new players have, which takes away some of the stresses put on our wonderful OM's. My idea being that the first Saturday of March every year be reserved for Greeter Appreciation Day. (GAD) Being that is spring and would be a great breath of fresh air for greeters, with a nice prize for each of us that day. Maybe we can appoint a greeter to be head of the greeter committee, some what like a sunshine committee, and that person can do some small events for the greeters. I would ask that PP support us by donating the poes/prizes for those events, being that we DO help you so much :D I would be willing to help in what ever way I am needed. Thank you very much for your consideration in this matter, and please, sooner would be better then later, being that nothing has been done for us for so long.
----------------------------------------
Mamatou
Alchemist of Imperial Coalition
[Dec 6, 2012 7:27:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Faulkston

Re: GREETER APPRECIATION DAY!! Reply to this Post

Whisking to the Events Workshop forum. - Faulkston
[Dec 6, 2012 7:36:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/search [Link]  Go to top 
RaeR

Thank ye hun, sorry about that :/
Mamatou
Alchemist of Imperial Coalition
[Dec 6, 2012 8:25:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Megalechis

I a|ways thought, for the past seven years, that part of being a greeter was being a simp|e vo|unteer who wanted no recognition for their work, just the satisfaction of being ab|e to he|p new p|ayers enjoy the ocean.

By adding prizes for greeters on|y you support peop|e attempting to become greeters for no reason other than to get paid or an item once a year, and promote jea|ousy by those who cannot become greeters or have been turned down.

The definition of vo|unteer is to free|y offer to do something. Asking for recognition and prizes goes against this. Sure, some recognition at certain mi|estones (ie. Greeter for a year, Greeter for five years) wou|d be fine if they had no P.o.E. va|ue, but otherwise it just doesn't sound |ike a good, or respectab|e, idea in my own persona| eyes.
Meridian
[Dec 6, 2012 9:25:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Faulkston

Megalechis: Is there any significant change in the position you've put forward if a committee of Greeters gathers donated items rather than relying on Ocean Masters to magick up items?
[Dec 6, 2012 10:17:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/search [Link]  Go to top 
Megalechis

If "prizes" or rather maybe they shou|d be ca||ed gifts were gathered and distributed by a "Greeter Committee" or even just everyday Pirates who fe|t the Greeters are doing a good job and serve a vita| purpose I have no issue with it, and thus my opinion changes, that is true.

Magicking up the items cheapens the entire idea that these peop|e are doing it because they're just good enough sou|s just to WANT to.

I wou|d have no opinion against it if it had been brought up origina||y as a pirate-run year|y appreciation event.
Meridian
[Dec 7, 2012 12:52:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Twittly

I agree with Megalechis on this matter. I don't feel like the OMs should host a greeter appreciation. But I like the idea of greeter trophies or trinkets (Like the jolly rogers for instance).
~Twittly~ on "Sage" "Emerald" Ocean
Check out my gallery of other avatars
[Dec 7, 2012 4:14:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Aeternis

I agree with Megalechis on this matter. I don't feel like the OMs should host a greeter appreciation. But I like the idea of greeter trophies or trinkets (Like the jolly rogers for instance).

I don't like any gratification or appreciation of greeters at all. There are too many people who think a pink name is cool and something to achieve! They don't help greenies much, not saying that some of them aren't able to help greenies at all, though this is true for some... Please don't make more people becoming greeters just to get a trophy.
Locu on Cerulean and Opal (and some other Oceans)

Check the Rack at Phakey's Tailor Stall on Tinga for nice clothes!
Locu's Weaving Stall on Tinga and Cranberry

[Dec 9, 2012 12:55:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Twittly

I don't like any gratification or appreciation of greeters at all. There are too many people who think a pink name is cool and something to achieve! They don't help greenies much, not saying that some of them aren't able to help greenies at all, though this is true for some... Please don't make more people becoming greeters just to get a trophy.

Well then the rules for becoming a greeter should become more strict. There should be more achievements to achieve before we can become a greeter. For starters, crank up the 6 month and 200 hours to 1 year and 400/500 hours. The 500 hours may seem hard to get, but I can assure you it isn't that hard to get if you are committed. :) There could be more achievements, but I can't think of any off the top of my head.
[Dec 9, 2012 8:05:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tilinka

Higher hour requirements wouldn't reliably help with greeter quality - to improve that beyond what we have now would require some sort of training in how to field questions and reach out to and help new players - something more (inter)active than "go read the wiki page".

I do think the idea of a pirate-run appreciation event has potential - especially if it can make a point of honoring stand out folks. Have some inclusive events, and make a point of rewarding those players who, for example, are consistently polite and helpful, or who go out of their way to reach out to new players an' help them find their sea legs.
Tilinka, Emerald
Perilous Puppet
Artsy Stuff
[Dec 9, 2012 10:23:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.perilouspuppets.com    Tilinka    3569427 [Link]  Go to top 
Twittly

Higher hour requirements wouldn't reliably help with greeter quality - to improve that beyond what we have now would require some sort of training in how to field questions and reach out to and help new players - something more (inter)active than "go read the wiki page".

I do think the idea of a pirate-run appreciation event has potential - especially if it can make a point of honoring stand out folks. Have some inclusive events, and make a point of rewarding those players who, for example, are consistently polite and helpful, or who go out of their way to reach out to new players an' help them find their sea legs.

Maybe, this is a just a suggestion, we would have to go under a few tests to become a greeter. (A few multiple choice and/or sentence answer questions that could be marked by the OMs or other willing greeters as I know the OMs don't really have time be marking tests.)
[Dec 9, 2012 10:50:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Megalechis

Agree with supporting a pirate-run event if it makes an effort to congratu|ate "stand-out" fo|ks, rather than just everyone with a pink name. He|ped a friend make an account |ate|y, and was frank|y shocked at some of the peop|e who had pink names on his screen, as I'd have never considered much of their behavior particu|ar|y "greeter|y" or even friend|y.
Meridian
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Megalechis at Dec 9, 2012 11:27:12 AM]
[Dec 9, 2012 11:24:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Aethera21

I think the problem with trying to recognize stand-out greeters is I really have no idea what other greeters say to greenies. How do I know who the standout ones are? If we're talking about those who are most helpful in greeter chat, that's a pretty small group on any ocean once you leave out the shushers (and on Cerulean, there aren't any, as we never use the chat, it seems, and hardly have greenies).

I imagine it would be a bit of a nightmare putting together a Greeter Committee. Who decides who goes on it?

I think if a pirate knows a greeter that they think is great, and they want to reward them, they should feel free to do so, out of their own kindness.

Also, there are about 15 other threads about what's wrong with the current greeter system, so perhaps we should take that conversation to one of those? It's been years now, I don't think they're going to make it any harder to greeter, anyway.
Aethera of Cobalt Cerulean
Princess of Maniacal Menagerie
Blockade staff on any ocean
[Dec 10, 2012 10:00:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates