• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 18
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 2693 times and has 17 replies Next Thread
Avastme1

MediaWiki Update Reply to this Post

Hey guys,

Suggestion to update MediaWiki/Wikia to the latest versions. Compiled list of pro's and con's below (If you have suggestions for any more, feel free to post below)

Please add your feedback as "Agree, Disagree or Comment".

Pros:

• Better designed homepage
  • Special:Chat
  • Specific group for moving files (Custodian)
  • Specific group for rollback (Rollback)
  • HTML5 intergration & support
  • Auto-refresh Recent Changes
  • Better styled "Page differance" showing added and removed lines clearer
  • WYSIWYG editor (better designed)
  • Better design edit sytem
  • Easy category add system
  • Better designed user profile
  • Updated api.php to allow use for bots (e.g. automated jobs)
  • Toolbar at bottom (customizable for own links (e.g. what links here, move, delete))
  • Allow use for custom javascript (User:USER/common.js / User:USER/mediawiki.js)
  • Allow use for custom CSS (User:USER/common.css / User:USER/mediawiki.css)
  • Plenty of bug fixes
  • Ability to include audio direct in a page
  • Included jQuery (for better custom scripts)
  • Better customizable template
  • Facebook intergration (link your account with facebook and login)
  • Better drop-down navigation allowing easier viewing and addition of such navigation elements of "events" or such
  • Lightbox for clicking on images (view full image in lightbox instead of redirect to File: page)
  • Sidenav for such things as (Recent activity, recent files, chat)
Cons:

• Would require dev team to recode the login to intergrate with YPP
  • May be some template bugs (but can be fixed)
I have taken a bunch of screenshots and features that are implemented in this update and are viewable at: http://imgur.com/a/xOyPV
These images were taken over 2 wiki's that I'm a major contributor on and have helped design most of the template and/or features within them.

List of Agreeing users(0):
List of Disagreeing users(0):

Regards, Kris.
----------------------------------------

The server will now reboot.
Ye crew member Avastme logged off
Avastme starts thinking how I'm still foraging then

Avastme on the Meridian ocean.

Is the YPPedia missing information or requires updating? Send me a message.
[Edit 6 times, last edit by Thunderbird at Jan 5, 2013 10:44:26 PM]
[Dec 3, 2012 5:43:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://BetaDev.co.uk [Link]  Go to top 
Belthazar451

Re: MediaWiki Update Reply to this Post

Like the way the PP skins got broken, which still hasn't been fixed since the last MediaWiki upgrade?

Can't say many of those pros excite me either. Following the trend of integrating pointless code and functions that just slow things down, and don't really add to things. Auto-refresh recent changes? Such joy.
[Dec 3, 2012 11:04:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Avastme1

Like the way the PP skins got broken, which still hasn't been fixed since the last MediaWiki upgrade?

Can't say many of those pros excite me either. Following the trend of integrating pointless code and functions that just slow things down, and don't really add to things. Auto-refresh recent changes? Such joy.

Well with the support that I've done code releases for MediaWiki and have worked on several sites that use MediaWiki, I'm sure I could easily write up the CSS to work with it. And if needs be, I'll write all the CSS before the upgrade and provide a link to a MediaWiki site with the custom CSS to prove it's working, and to show all the new features that are available.

P.S. "Just slow things down"~ Most of the new features that are available run on minimal resources and have about the same loading time as this wiki, will include screenshots to prove this in my first post later on.

Regards, Kris.

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Avastme1 at Dec 4, 2012 1:26:37 AM]
[Dec 4, 2012 1:25:24 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://BetaDev.co.uk [Link]  Go to top 
Belthazar451

As I suspected, your screenshots appear to be from Wikia. Wikia's an absolute resource hog. Let's not be Wikia.

On a related note, why are you so averse to image-clicking opening the File page?
[Dec 4, 2012 3:40:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Avastme1

As I suspected, your screenshots appear to be from Wikia. Wikia's an absolute resource hog. Let's not be Wikia.

On a related note, why are you so averse to image-clicking opening the File page?

Well what I'll be doing is setting up a custom install of MediaWiki on one of my servers and coding in all the JavaScript and CSS to how the YPPedia looks now and show the resource logs.

And because it's just annoying how you click on it and it auto-sends you to the file page as I'm so used to it being a lightbox :(

Regards, Kris.

[Dec 4, 2012 4:05:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://BetaDev.co.uk [Link]  Go to top 
Faulkston

I dislike lightboxes for images. Some of the time they add code to a webpage redundantly e.g. the image already fits nicely within a 800x600 or smaller window.
[Dec 4, 2012 10:29:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/search [Link]  Go to top 
Avastme1

I dislike lightboxes for images. Some of the time they add code to a webpage redundantly e.g. the image already fits nicely within a 800x600 or smaller window.

The lightbox is only when you click on an image, e.g. to display more details etc.
Also this can be disabled in Special:Preferances.

Regards, Kris.

[Dec 5, 2012 2:29:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://BetaDev.co.uk [Link]  Go to top 
lorkiria

The software choices of Three Rings aren't an area where wiki consensus comes into play. They're a company and as great as the YPPedians are, we're not the ones to make choices as to how developer time is used. I'm sure Three Rings is aware that there are newer versions of MediaWiki with additional features and will want to upgrade when the time is right for them to put the resources into it. It's really misleading to act like any of us would actually be against a properly implemented more recent version of MediaWiki.

I abstain from voting because this is not a votable issue.
"There is no salvation in becoming adapted to a world which is crazy." - Henry Miller
[Dec 6, 2012 6:36:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Gascony

Re: MediaWiki/Wikia Update - Agree Reply to this Post

I agree with supporting the update.

I also agree with lorkiria that this matter isn't up for a vote. Nevertheless, if we assume that OOO, like most businesses, pays at least some attention to consumer preferences, then it's relevant for people to make their opinions known.
[Jan 5, 2013 5:06:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Thunderbird

Not sure why Wikia was mentioned in the thread title...we aren't Wikia, as has been pointed out.

It is up to Three Rings to decide when to update the MediaWiki version. I'm looking at a lot of your "pros" and thinking "Meh" on a lot of them...and there's a handful that don't even apply to us. The extra groups you mention would likely be unused, as there isn't a lot of need for file moves or rollbacks (preferably bad edits should be reversed with the Undo link, as that allows leaving an actual summary...even admins don't use the Rollback button that often anymore). I can see Facebook integration being turned off, if it was even possible at all (since the wiki is tied to the OOO system, and not its own user system).

I suspect an upgrade will eventually happen anyway, but I also figure doing so would take a decent amount of effort to do (I think the last time there was an upgrade, we went from 1.12 to 1.17, and before that it was 1.6 to 1.12).
Pirate tells you, "my, that's one BIG wad o' chewing gum ye have mounted on yer bonce! oO'"
Sungod officer chats, "I wonder if anyone's sailing the harpsichord"
Pirate tells you, "ZOMG CANDYFLOSS!!! *munches*"
[Jan 5, 2013 10:51:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Avastme1

I agree with supporting the update.

I also agree with lorkiria that this matter isn't up for a vote. Nevertheless, if we assume that OOO, like most businesses, pays at least some attention to consumer preferences, then it's relevant for people to make their opinions known.

I spoke to Clotho, who is the OM in charge of the wiki, and she said that if a vote comes into place that they will put it on a list of todo.

Also regarding wikia in the title, the whole idea of that is that we can include part of wikia's tools as it's based off the mediawiki project. With them there can be better looking design for the site, and other features.

Regards, Kris.

[Jan 6, 2013 12:39:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://BetaDev.co.uk [Link]  Go to top 
Pianoman1125

To be honest, there are just so many other things that would be a better use of the dev's time than this. We're getting along just fine with the current version and have been now for at least two years I think.

Would an update be nice? Sure, probably. Would the man hours to finally complete some of the redundancies and errors that resulted from the oceans merging be better? Absolutely. Are they related? Not at all. I just wanted one more soap box to ask for help on that ever enduring project.

~The Maestro
Muffynz
A Cartographer

Member of Crimson Tide
YPPedia Admin
Not-so-secretly conducting the oceans since 2003.
[Jan 6, 2013 6:42:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Pianoman1125    Your average cupcake is just not as tasty. [Link]  Go to top 
Twittly

To be honest, there are just so many other things that would be a better use of the dev's time than this. We're getting along just fine with the current version and have been now for at least two years I think.

Would an update be nice? Sure, probably. Would the man hours to finally complete some of the redundancies and errors that resulted from the oceans merging be better? Absolutely. Are they related? Not at all. I just wanted one more soap box to ask for help on that ever enduring project.

~The Maestro

I want a more stable forum! YPP Fourms > YPP
~Twittly~ on "Sage" "Emerald" Ocean
Check out my gallery of other avatars
[Jan 6, 2013 6:47:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
upgrade431

^ Forum-buddy endorsed
-Upgradde on Cerulean and Emerald Ocean

-My words are my own, and are not a representation of others.
[Jan 6, 2013 7:02:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Thunderbird

Allow use for custom javascript (User:USER/common.js / User:USER/mediawiki.js)
Allow use for custom CSS (User:USER/common.css / User:USER/mediawiki.css)

According to the version notes for 1.17 (the version currently installed), these features are part of it.
Pirate tells you, "my, that's one BIG wad o' chewing gum ye have mounted on yer bonce! oO'"
Sungod officer chats, "I wonder if anyone's sailing the harpsichord"
Pirate tells you, "ZOMG CANDYFLOSS!!! *munches*"
[Jan 6, 2013 7:44:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Notsizzly

I'm jumping this ship here, even though I shouldn't.

For an average+ user like me, I don't see any reason to do anything about YPPedia. The only thing that POSSIBLY could be fixed is the show/hide function - but even that has a work-around anyway. What I personally see more important, is the actual content, the factual information (such as all the beloved pet and ship types listed). I have never even felt the need to change skins, let alone to do anything else.

In fact, pretty much anything that has been mentioned in this thread has gone over my head faster than a V8 grand frigate. I am aware that for those who like all kinds of technical details and fiddling around those because they produce content for the YPPedia, an old and not-so-up-to-date system may feel less nice but if we can voice our opinions about this, I've got two: (especially) the resources and time that Three Rings has, should be first used for other things than what's mentioned in the OP because they're more important (such as fixing bugs in-game) and secondly, I'd like to see this issue considered from the masses' point of a view - the regular players.
~ Sizzly of Emerald ~
[Jan 7, 2013 2:01:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
TexasBeesh

Agreed! :)
Seatexan - on the Midnight side of Cerulean
LOW RACK PRICES AT DRESSED TO KILL - NAMATH
Always looking for Pollack Sloops!
[Jan 8, 2013 7:00:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Avastme1

Allow use for custom javascript (User:USER/common.js / User:USER/mediawiki.js)
Allow use for custom CSS (User:USER/common.css / User:USER/mediawiki.css)

According to the version notes for 1.17 (the version currently installed), these features are part of it.

Indeed they are, but the dev's need to set the 2 var settings in config.php to on so we can use them.

If custom JS was allowed then maybe custom tools can be implemented that can speed up many jobs. Just my opinion.

Kris.

[Jan 9, 2013 7:39:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://BetaDev.co.uk [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates