• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 7
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 7508 times and has 6 replies Next Thread
Gascony

Problems with Java Reply to this Post

My girlfriend and I are both using Toshiba laptops with Windows 7. Mine runs YPP without trouble. She used to be able to play but lately can't.

On her machine, I uninstalled YPP and then tried the full installer (as suggested on another thread). Selecting the Puzzle Pirates icon on the desktop generated a box that's labeled "Java Virtual Machine Launcher" and that contains the message "Error: could not find Java SE Runtime Environment."

I've been around the block a couple of times trying to fix this. The Java site says that the recommended version is Version 7 Update 9. I downloaded that and tried to install. I got the message "This software has already been installed on your computer. Would you like to reinstall it?" I selected Yes. I got the message "The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailble."

Trying to uninstall old versions seemed to me an obvious idea even before I read that suggestion in this forum. Her listing of programs (in Control Panel, "uninstall or change a program") included two Java entries: Java(TM) 6 Update 31, and Java 7 Update 9. For each of them, when I tried to uninstall it, I got the same message: "The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailble." Thus, I don't know how to clean these other versions, not that I know that that would solve the problem anyway.

In the thread on "Update your Java installation today!" LJAmethyst posted http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?p=2550677#2550677 with links to Java updates. Having struck out with Java 7, I tried the link to the Java SE 6 update download. There were five different options for Windows: Windows x86 Kernel, Windows x86 Online, Windows x86 Offline, Windows x64, and Windows Intel Itanium. Each of the first three brought me back to good old "The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailble." Closing that box brought up a new message: "Error 1714. The older version of Java(TM) 6 Update 37 cannot be removed. Contact your technical support group." Closing that brought up a "Program Compatibility Assistant" box telling me "This program might not have installed correctly" (duh). It gave me the option of "reinstalling using settings that are compatible with this version of Windows." I selected "Reinstall using recommended settings" -- which, after I went through the whole installation routine again, returned me to "The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailble."

That was the result for Windows x86 Kernel, Windows x86 Online, and Windows x86 Offline. When I tried the fourth possibility, Windows x64, it seemed to work without a hitch (and according to Start --> Computer --> Properties, she has a 64-bit operating system). The program listing now includes a third Java entry, this one labeled "Java(TM) 6 Update 37 (64-bit)". Nevertheless, when I try to start YPP, I get the same result as before -- the "Java Virtual Machine Launcher" box that contains the message "Error: could not find Java SE Runtime Environment."

Finally, when I tried the fifth possibility under the Version 6 update (the one labeled "Windows Intel Itanium"), I again failed, with the only consolation being that at least I see a new error message instead of my old standbys. This one says, "The version of the file is not compatible with the version of Windows you're running. Check your computer's system information to see whether you need an x86 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit) version of the program, and then contact the software publisher."

Restarting the computer and again trying YPP again yielded the "Error: could not find Java SE Runtime Environment."

While doing all this, I disabled her Windows firewall in case that was the problem. I'm now re-enabling the firewall and waiting hopefully to see if anyone can respond with a suggestion about what to try next.
[Dec 1, 2012 10:48:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
DementedDuck

Re: Problems with Java Reply to this Post

You say you installed JRE 6 update 37 64-bit successfully, but are you sure YPP was using that version when you tried to run it? If you didn't alter the file path (right click YPP -> properties -> target), it's probably still using whichever version it was using before. Try finding that version of java and pointing YPP to it. If you let it install where it wanted to, it should be here: C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\javaw.exe" . You'll need to add -jar getdown-dop.jar . to the end of that file path in the YPP shortcut properties to get it to work.

As for the error you keep getting, I can only advise you google for solutions. This page seems to be what you want.
----------------------------------------
Evilduck/Superduck.
Emerald, Cerulean, and that other one.
Now in Obsidian flavour.

I record puzzles.
[Dec 2, 2012 9:09:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Gascony

Many thanks for taking the time to pore through my long post and write a detailed response! I appreciate your sharing your knowledge for the benefit of the community. Unfortunately, the problem persists.

The JRE update that I had installed was exactly where you said it would be. I went to YPP --> Properties --> Target and found a different address there (one also ending with -jar getdown-dop.jar .). I changed the first part of the Target (before -jar etc.) to C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\javaw.exe, clicked "OK", and got a "Problem with Shortcut" box: "The name 'C:\Program' specified in the Target box is not valid. Make sure the path and file name are correct." Thinking that maybe I'd mis-typed the new target, I went back to the directory and cut-and-pasted the C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\javaw.exe part into the YPP Target field, leaving in the -jar getdown-dop.jar . part. Same error message. I also tried changing "Program Files" to "ProgramFiles" and then "Program_Files", but that just meant that more of the file name was included in the error message.

The Target that's working on my laptop is C:\Windows\SysWOW64\javaw.exe -jar getdown-dop.jar . I also noticed that the line above "Target", namely "Target location", says SysWOW64 on my computer, and it said that on my girlfriend's before I changed the Target line. When I changed Target to the "Program Files" address, the line above still read "SysWOW64" so I thought maybe that was the problem -- but I couldn't change that line.

Therefore, I tried copying my girlfriend's C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\javaw.exe into the SysWOW64 folder on her computer, and changing Target to C:\Windows\SysWOW64\javaw.exe -jar getdown-dop.jar . because that's what works on my computer. That got my hopes up because I could click "OK" on the YPP window without getting an error message. Alas, when I tried to run YPP, I ran into the same failure as yesterday. Clicking on the YPP icon generated a box that was labeled "Java Virtual Machine Launcher" and that contained the message "Error: could not find Java SE Runtime Environment."

My final try was to restart the computer to see if any of this tinkering worked but needed a restart to take effect. I got the same error message (can't find JRE).

I haven't followed up on the link you gave to the Microsoft help about troubleshooting problems with install/uninstall. As best I can tell, the JRE 6 update 37 was successfully installed. It's just that, for some reason I can't fathom, YPP thinks that a file name beginning with C:\Program Files is invalid. Or, more precisely, the YPP on her computer thinks that, but on my computer (same manufacturer and also Windows 7), there's no problem.

My girlfriend is stuck with playing Words with Friends unless there's a way to get her back to sea. Any help in that project would be greatly appreciated!
[Dec 2, 2012 1:04:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LJAmethyst

In your shortcut target, you need to surround the pathname with quotes: "C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\javaw.exe" because the space character will otherwise be treated as an argument separator.
Retired as of August 2015.
2 Timothy 4:7
[Dec 2, 2012 4:16:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.newadvent.org/bible/jon001.htm [Link]  Go to top 
DementedDuck

In your shortcut target, you need to surround the pathname with quotes: "C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\javaw.exe" because the space character will otherwise be treated as an argument separator.

Oops, oversight. :]
Evilduck/Superduck.
Emerald, Cerulean, and that other one.
Now in Obsidian flavour.

I record puzzles.
[Dec 3, 2012 9:27:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Gascony

My thanks to both of you. The computer owner is not up for this level of tinkering, so testing this latest approach will have to wait until the weekend, when I'll next be in the same room with the afflicted computer.
[Dec 4, 2012 6:49:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Gascony

Success!

With the combined efforts of DementedDuck and LJ Amethyst, the problem has been fixed and the pirate is back at sea -- just in time for all of this afternoon's blockades. Our thanks to both of you!
[Dec 8, 2012 9:11:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates