• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 97
Posts: 97   Pages: 4   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 9211 times and has 96 replies Next Thread
Clotho
OceanMaster

Limited Edition Portrait Background - New Year 12/13 Edition! [Winners announced] Reply to this Post

Ahoy mates! It's portrait background time again and we have surprises!

Winners!

Theme:
This round we will be working on themes celebrating the end of a wonderful year and the dreams and hopes that a new one brings! Draw inspiration from anything that alludes to New Year's Eve, New Year's Day, Three Wise Men Day or Epiphany or any other holiday from now until January 15th. If you're representing a religious holiday, remember to stick to the secular celebration of that holiday rather than overtly religious images.

Submissions:
Entrants will create original backgrounds that are consistent with the theme and style of the game. The image must look sensible with characters placed on it in any of the orientations possible for its size.
Entries must fit the appropriate scale.

1-pirate backgrounds: 348 x 650
2-pirate backgrounds: 696 x 650
Large backgrounds: 1600 x 1170
Expansive backgrounds: 2000 x 1275

Reworking entries:
To update an entry, please upload the latest version with the same file name as the previous version of the entry. If you want an alternative version rather than a replacement, multiple entries per artist are also acceptable. You can enter multiple times for any theme.

Only original art is accepted. You must create the images yourself.
References to copyrighted intellectual properties should be excluded from the entries. We don't want anyone laboring on some amazing art that has to be ignored because of this.

Plagiarized entries, photographs, and other unsuitable entries may be removed from the entry page without notice.
You may use reference materials for your work, but if you base your work substantially on a reference, please acknowledge it in your forum post. You do not need to acknowledge any game art used as reference material.

Upload your images to the YPPedia, name the file according to the naming scheme listed there, and also post links to the thumbnails here in this thread, for comment. If you want your pirate name to appear rather than your account name should you win, please follow the image tag scheme below carefully.

NOTE: Instructions for destination filename
The arrtists have requested a change to the naming of files uploaded to YPPedia for this contest. This naming scheme may not be the same as the general YPPedia file upload scheme, but we're hoping that it's distinctive enough that it won't cause undue confusion. Note that this is in addition to the requirements for the image tags.
Requested format for the filenames on YPPedia:
monthly_yourname_title_the_way_you_want_to_appear_in_game.png

All in lower-case and put underscores between all the separate words in the title (YPPedia will change the first m into M - don't worry about this). So, if I want my portrait background to appear as Clotho's Tangled Threads, I would use:
monthly_clotho_tangled_threads.png

Instructions for tags in the summary field
The tag for this contest is "dec12contest" so that we know which entries to consider when judging starts. The summary field for the upload, then, should be:
{{contesttag|accountname|creditname|Portrait Title}}
where
"contesttag" is replaced by this month's tag shown below, "accountname" is replaced by your own forum name
"creditname" is replaced by either your forum name again, or your pirate name, whichever you want credited with the background
"Portrait Title" is replaced by your suggested title for the portrait background

e.g. {{dec12contest|Clotho|Spinner|Loom}}
or {{dec12contest|Cassopia|Whitenose|Spindle}}

If the name to credit the portrait with is the same as the account name, it would go in twice.
e.g. {{dec12contest|Clotho|Clotho|Tangled Threads}}

Judging:
Quality of work, style, how well the background fits with the game's theme, and how well the placement of the portrait characters fit into the background are the primary determining factors.

The entries will be judged in the Three Rings offices by the arrrtists and the winner will be put into future releases as a Limited Edition portrait background. The portrait background may also be re-used for limited times later, and even (if appropriate) adopted as a longer-term or permanent portrait background, rather than a limited duration one. The same winning artist may be chosen more than once for different entries. Entrants may be asked by the arrrtists to make small changes to their designs after the judging.

Submitted works are eligible for winning future contests. Artists who entered backgrounds in a previous contest: if they are eligible for the current contest, please enter them again! We would love to reconsider them. Likewise, if a background does not win, it can be submitted for future contests, as long as it fits within the theme of each contest.

Prizes:
A winning entry will be included in the in-game list of available portrait backgrounds, usually for a limited duration. Anyone in the game can use it when it is available. Each winning entrant will also receive a Puzzle Pirates real-life item and a pack of playing cards in the mail, a free copy of his/her portrait in-game, choice of Bluebeard, Fishheadred or Greenbones egg or doll, and a clothing item of her choice in the color(s) of her choice.

The clothing item can be any item that can be ordered from a tailoring shoppe without needing a design or reputation. In the event of the same artist winning multiple prizes or multiple months, an additional clothing item can be substituted for the real-life prizes if the artist does not feel like having a household full of Puzzle Pirates Paraphernalia.

Deadline:
December 15th 2012, 11:59pm game time

Suggestions:
-- Make it look like it came right out of the game.
--Get your line weights down, and compare with existing portraits to be sure.
--Keep your lighting consistent with the lighting on the pirate portrait art.
--Choose a scene that many in the game would like to use.
--Take your time and rework, going to others for advice and critique.
--A very small signature in the lower right corner is acceptable.
--In general avoid words - if you do use them, use them minimally, and only when they are not central to the understanding of the portrait.
--Pay close attention to your composition - the composition of backgrounds related to pirate placement is a major consideration and sometimes otherwise good backgrounds are eliminated because the nicest elements are blocked by the pirates once they are in frame.

Other suggestions and links:
Questions, discussion, entries and feedback can all be posted here. Good luck!

Para leer este concurso en español, haz clic aquí .
----------------------------------------

Hilando las hebras de la vida pirata...
[Edit 6 times, last edit by Clotho at Jan 21, 2013 10:00:26 AM]

[Nov 15, 2012 10:58:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hikariks

Re: Limited Edition Portrait Background - New Year 2012/2013 Edition! [Deadline December 15th, 2012] Reply to this Post

That moment i wanna do something weird for a bigger portrait... o,o oh well XD its good to try new things everyday!
I thought of maybe.... something related to the three wise men? xD in a piratey way? :o

[Bigger]

[Bigger]

This is just a really clean sketch lol xD but o,o hope i can do something cool~
I look forward to seeing others doing really cool stuff too o,o!
Yumisa World Wide ;)
Your Favourite Cookie Monster <3

[Seasonal Avatars ~ The Comeback! ]
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Hikariks at Nov 16, 2012 9:27:31 PM]
[Nov 16, 2012 9:22:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Clotho
OceanMaster

Re: Limited Edition Portrait Background - New Year 2012/2013 Edition! [Deadline December 15th, 2012] Reply to this Post

I'm quite surprised that no one seems to have noticed yet...

[Nov 16, 2012 9:24:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Vellanora

Re: Limited Edition Portrait Background - New Year 12/13 Edition! [Deadline December 15th, 2012] Reply to this Post

/e saw bluebeard umg.
Velternal, Meridian.
I draw Avatars!.
[Nov 16, 2012 9:26:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
iPartyHard

Re: Limited Edition Portrait Background - New Year 12/13 Edition! [Deadline December 15th, 2012] Reply to this Post

He works alongside Nemo, Lindworm, Blackhat, and Greenbones, the other members of the Art Department.

/e hopes this pattern continues.
Etiquette on Meridian.
Sometimes I make avatars.
[Nov 17, 2012 3:50:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Yngve6

@yumisa: Wow, can't wait to see that finished. That ship looks amazing Yumi.
Inghild on Meridian
Yngve on Emerald
[Nov 17, 2012 5:01:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jippeh14

Bluebeard dollies??!!
/me bounces

@Yumi: that idea looks absolutely lovely and I admire your line work. Can't wait to see some colour :D
Jippy of Meridian
[Nov 17, 2012 5:13:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Yngve6

Bluebeard dollies??!!
/me bounces

That ^^
Inghild on Meridian
Yngve on Emerald
[Nov 17, 2012 5:57:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
deathtolll

Bluebeard dollies??!!
/me bounces

That ^^

THIS!

Dricenticore says, "Normally I don't believe people who say they're girls on the internet but since you went from friendly to hostile in about 3 seconds"

Deathmessage on the Emerald Ocean.
[Nov 17, 2012 6:07:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cattrin

Hm, I don't really celebrate New Years or any of the other holidays you listed for examples, so this might be tricky for me.

Loosely based off a greeting card I saw at a thrift store the other day.

Question on Three Wise Men Day. I'm vaguely familiar with the Three Wise Men, and when I search images on their day I get a ton of three men on camels. Would doing something with that sort of image be too religious?

Since I have no idea about anything other than my vague knowledge, I want to make sure before doing anything.
Cattrin of Midnight Cerulean (and sometimes Viridian Meridian)
Avatar by Apollo, Wiske, Shawe, Blakbead, Daeva, Bunnylaroo and Musicologist!

X tells ye, "Stop yo drawing fool!"

[Nov 17, 2012 6:41:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jongy5

Looks like I'm entering XD
Musicologist : Self-proclaimed Master Minstrel mostly of Meridian
Clotho tells ye, "I love your musical art, thank you for sharing!"

Avvy by the awesome Velternal!
[Nov 17, 2012 6:49:24 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hikariks

o_o i feel like what im doing looks more haunted than anything lol!

[Full Size]

[Full Size]
Yumisa World Wide ;)

[Nov 17, 2012 7:50:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Yngve6

@Yumisa: Sinister piraty Christmas ^^ I love it.
I would use high contast to add some drama. So highlight the ship bow and front sails. More highlighting on the ocean, deep shades behind the ship. Clouds surrounding the star would look almost white because of the reflecting light.
Something like this.

Looks great so far Yumi.

I think I might have fixed my perspective problem as well. It still only is a very crapy sketch. But I think it has potential. Still figuring out how to draw fireworks.

It's supposed to be a view from the saltstraum rock docks at new year's eve.
Inghild on Meridian
Yngve on Emerald
[Nov 18, 2012 5:13:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
x_starfire_x

LOL Yumi! XD I'm sure it'll turn out beautiful, if it has a haunted feel to it with pretty clouds, even better :P

Yay @ fireworks! Lots of potential indeed :)
Angelira [Ceru] & Vespera [Em]

Avatar by Yumisa, Kurenai, Seapint, Ivy and Daeva!

~Art Gallery~ ~Website~

Very much alive on forums <3 ;)
[Nov 18, 2012 8:04:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://angelira.deviantart.com [Link]  Go to top 
Hikariks

I just realized i couldnt celebrate my 16th birthday with anyone in YPP o3o~ awww

And ing.... i cant wait for you to finish that ^^ i wanna see how it looks in the end :D
Yumisa World Wide ;)

[Nov 18, 2012 9:31:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Yngve6

Well been trying to constuct some stuff. Hope I got the shapes down now, so the real fun can begin.

Small update. I'm actually doing lineart now O.O Fireworks are still experiments. I like the white/pink one on the right. I think I'm gonna try that technique.

Inghild on Meridian
Yngve on Emerald
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Yngve6 at Dec 3, 2012 6:33:34 AM]
[Nov 18, 2012 11:00:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
iPartyHard

Sorry to interrupt your regular broadcasting program, but I think I'm going crazy, because I looked up Bluebeard's Doll and Egg and there doesn't seem to be one, (yet?)
Etiquette on Meridian.
Sometimes I make avatars.
[Nov 18, 2012 4:59:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cattrin

Sorry to interrupt your regular broadcasting program, but I think I'm going crazy, because I looked up Bluebeard's Doll and Egg and there doesn't seem to be one, (yet?)

I'm guessing that since Forculus was given a shiny new doll to bestow that possibly Bluebeard has been as well?
Cattrin of Midnight Cerulean (and sometimes Viridian Meridian)
Avatar by Apollo, Wiske, Shawe, Blakbead, Daeva, Bunnylaroo and Musicologist!

X tells ye, "Stop yo drawing fool!"

[Nov 18, 2012 5:05:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Clotho
OceanMaster

Re: LEPB - New Year 2012/2013 Edition! [Deadline December 15th, 2012] Reply to this Post

Suspenseful music: dum-du-dun-dun-dum-dummmm...

[Nov 18, 2012 6:24:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
deathtolll

Re: LEPB - New Year 2012/2013 Edition! [Deadline December 15th, 2012] Reply to this Post

I am quite certain there is a current bluebeard doll. I'll provide an image soon.

Dricenticore says, "Normally I don't believe people who say they're girls on the internet but since you went from friendly to hostile in about 3 seconds"

[Nov 19, 2012 2:02:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
deathtolll

I am quite certain there is a current bluebeard doll. I'll provide an image soon.

[Nov 19, 2012 2:02:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
deathtolll

I am quite certain there is a current Bluebeard doll. I'll provide an image soon.

I cannot find it; I remember seeing it. Either in game back in the good ol' days or recently when Bluebeard was in game? If he was? I don't have a good memory.

[Nov 19, 2012 2:55:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
x_starfire_x

I feel as if Clotho's personality changes with her avatar...

I wonder what would happen if I drew a silly side <3
Angelira [Ceru] & Vespera [Em]

Avatar by Yumisa, Kurenai, Seapint, Ivy and Daeva!

~Art Gallery~ ~Website~

Very much alive on forums <3 ;)
[Nov 19, 2012 6:48:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://angelira.deviantart.com [Link]  Go to top 
Hikariks

That moment you feel like sharing what you have been doing.... XD i hope its looking alright so far @.@ -got so bored with the ship i started painting something else lmao~-

You are free to comment all you want xD!
Yumisa World Wide ;)

[Nov 19, 2012 6:54:43 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Yngve6

Oh, I love the lighting and shades ^^ It gives the picture so much more depth. Keep that up :D
Some rigging on the ship would look nice. Perhaps add some pebbles and shells to the beach. If you get bored that is.

Meanwhile I'm still drawing bricks ><

Inghild on Meridian
Yngve on Emerald
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Yngve6 at Dec 3, 2012 6:35:12 AM]
[Nov 20, 2012 10:51:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
sparkle1992

Is it just me, or is there one too many 'dums' in there? /e starts humming suspenseful music
Elleana, Sage I meant Emerald. Honest, I did. No, that's a lie. I did mean Sage.
Member of the Perilous Puppets, in good standing.
"Disclaimer: Our vow of support may or may not come with our actual support."
[Nov 20, 2012 2:18:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CapnKkatz

Okay, so I went a little skewed on this one, and found a super holiday within the timeframe to exploit explore. So, I give you Bathtub Party Day! I'd love to hear your feedback/comments/suggestions. Thanks in advance!

Greylady, Meridian & Emerald

Cronus tells ye, "...it's Hera's doing. She spread those horrid lies of me eating poor innocent babies. *burp*"
Cronus tells ye, "When in doubt blame Hera"
[Nov 22, 2012 9:26:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Juleah

@Greylady: I loveeee the byubo folding screen! Although I'm not artistically brilliant, I'd say the bubbles lack that shiny rainbow reflective thing (makes me think of index of refraction from physics... ugh).
The outside scenery is pretty also! But I'd say just add some depth to the bathtub, shadows, and such. Looks good so far :D
Lacusclyne on Emerald
Laccylove on League of Legends NA
[Nov 23, 2012 3:15:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
XEcastasy

@ Greylady - Awww that sounds like an adorable holiday! And a fun portrait idea :D I agree Lacusclyne. The only other main problem is the claw leg placement on your tub! They a little wobbly/off right now. If you'd like I can whip up a mini tutorial on how to place things like legs on tubs in perspective :)
Ecastasy of ... Cerulean

[Nov 23, 2012 3:55:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CapnKkatz

Thanks for the feedback and comments mates! Here is an updated version. I know the feet were weird, are these better? If not, then maybe I need that tutorial Eca, lol! Anyway, please let me know if there is anything else that needs work. :)

Greylady, Meridian & Emerald

Cronus tells ye, "...it's Hera's doing. She spread those horrid lies of me eating poor innocent babies. *burp*"
Cronus tells ye, "When in doubt blame Hera"
[Nov 24, 2012 9:10:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 97   Pages: 4   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2014 Three Rings Design, Inc. All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates