• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 10
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 4554 times and has 9 replies Next Thread
iPartyHard

Spreading the Holiday Cheer through the Holiday Card Project! Reply to this Post

So I saw this little project on my notices on DeviantART and I thought, well, there are tons of talented people on this game, perhaps we could join in together and spread holiday cheer!

Essentially, you draw up a nice holiday card, write something happy and cheerful inside, then mail it to the DeviantART HQ in California and they distribute it to patients in the hospital in California and (presumably) other nearby states's hospitals. Also, for those who ARE DeviantART members, they get a free one month premium membership if they write down their username on a separate piece of paper in the envelope. The deadline for sending the cards in is December 15, 2012. I was thinking that perhaps we end ours a few days earlier, to give the cards some time to be mailed. (Also, international pirates ARE allowed to send cards in, if they choose to.)

So I was thinking, maybe all us talented little pirates could band together and send some cards their way :) I'd be willing to provide some more incentive to those who need more encouragement by offering to draw up free avatars for every card sent (providing that they show documentation that they ACTUALLY sent the card to the DeviantART HQ, such as pictures of their pirate name next to the card with the envelope already stamped or a picture of them about to put the card in the mailbox). Or I could wrap up some in-game goodies and distribute them to people who send cards, should they choose the gifts instead of avatars.

However, I could use some help from you fellow event runners. I've rooted myself to Meridian and I was hoping to make this an ALL Ocean event, since Meridian isn't exactly the most populated ocean :P I was hoping other Avatar Artists might want to pitch in by offering their art skills or perhaps any other kind souls in other oceans could help with the gifts? I was planning on putting things like Chromas, Pets, Furniture, etc. Things people actually LIKE getting, (not silly black box trinkets in those box auctions. PFFFFT.) I know that feeling of disappointment when I open up a gift and it's a smoke bomb trinket... :(
/e does not like box auctions.

Also, are we allowed to do this? By "this" I mean, making an event based on another event from a different website? IS THIS EVEN LEGAL? D:
----------------------------------------
Etiquette on Meridian.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by iPartyHard at Nov 12, 2012 2:12:58 AM]
[Nov 12, 2012 1:03:06 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jackingg

Re: Spreading the Holiday Cheer through the Holiday Card Project! Reply to this Post

Not sure of the legality, but I'd be willing to both participate, offer my avatar services or provide some sort of recompense for Emerald / Meridian players. (I have a little bit on Ceru, but many talented pirates reside there with well established hubs of super sekrit aktivite)
Ivytheblade

Not intended for those with weak constitutions

Now officially dating half your Parley Trolls.
[Nov 12, 2012 2:46:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
iPartyHard

Re: Spreading the Holiday Cheer through the Holiday Card Project! Reply to this Post

Oh thank goodness, I thought no one was going to volunteer to help me and I'd be lonely like Rudolph...or something. Bad analogies are bad :( But the more the merrier!
/e clings to Ivy.

I want to put it up in Events as soon as possible so that people have time to make/buy AND send their cards D: But there's no point if we aren't exactly allowed to do this here :( I can't exactly petition someone about this, right..?

/e runs in circles muttering to herself about presents and elves that look like Apollo while clutching her pile of holiday cards.
Etiquette on Meridian.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by iPartyHard at Nov 12, 2012 3:21:09 AM]
[Nov 12, 2012 3:03:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jackingg

Galene wrote: 
It's not something I've heard of-but anybody interested in trying to start something would want to reach out to our Community Events Coordinator using the Support Form (and they'd want to do so very far in advance as well-our staff is small and short notice usually means an idea can't be considered, they need a lot of lead up time!) There isn't anything to stop a player from running a player event coinciding with it and providing prizes themselves. In fact, it's unusual for a player to receive approved event support without having run a few events on their own ahead of time!

Here is the broken support form link

So thats your answer, it's okay :3
Ivytheblade

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Jackingg at Nov 12, 2012 3:53:58 AM]
[Nov 12, 2012 3:52:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jackingg

She added since it's avatar only, we can run it ourself very easily without support, and thats it's completely okay, some long running events are based off RL gameshows.
Ivytheblade

[Nov 12, 2012 4:01:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Vellanora

Ooo if this ends up happening please count me in to whip up a bunch of avvies!
Velternal, Meridian.
I draw Avatars!.
[Nov 14, 2012 8:18:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Snowpixie

You could also put in a note that *if* entries are more than volunteer avatar prize-artists can handle, you may decide to produce a number of standard avatars with customisable name/minor details "(pirate X) did this event" as a kind of trophy.

Not that I expect it will be a problem but really you never know :)
I can contribute pets furniture etc if you want other gifts, mostly on Meridian. I can think of other artists to ask too, if you want to keep it avatar-only.
Imp, totally sane mermaid-siren of Meridian.
Superdoodle avatar by Budclare =D
[Nov 14, 2012 11:41:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
iPartyHard

@Velternal: Writing the event thread now, PM me with a link to either your avatar gallery or if you're doing a new style for the event, some samples of that so I can put it in the Avatar Artists list :)

@Imp: That is a good idea :o I'm actually about to limit the prizes to 2 per pirate, since we can't really be sure that they're mailing the cards, and we certainly don't want anyone to abuse this event to get a load of free items :s And more donations/Avatar Artists are always helpful :) Just let me know in a PM~
Etiquette on Meridian.
[Nov 14, 2012 10:58:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cattrin

The only concern I have with this event is that I've gotten nasty viruses from DA even with strong protection against them. (in the past and recently as well)

As a result I don't go to DA anymore since I don't want to wipe my computer again. When I contacted them about it they gave me a generic response about how they couldn't do anything.

I just wouldn't want someone else to get the same thing.
Cattrin of Cerulean
Avatar by Apollo (we miss you :c), Blakbead, Angelira, Coriander, and Accelerator!

X tells ye, "Stop yo drawing fool!"

[Nov 15, 2012 4:09:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
iPartyHard

The only concern I have with this event is that I've gotten nasty viruses from DA even with strong protection against them. (in the past and recently as well)

As a result I don't go to DA anymore since I don't want to wipe my computer again. When I contacted them about it they gave me a generic response about how they couldn't do anything.

I just wouldn't want someone else to get the same thing.

I'm sorry to hear about that D: I've had problems with ImageShack so I know how that feels :(

Fortunately, the only thing this event has to deal with DeviantART is that they're the ones hosting it, and the fact that if you participate AND you're a DA member, you get the free 1month premium membership. We don't need to post anything on there unless you use it to showcase your avatars and other art examples, but other than that, you shouldn't have to deal with the actual DeviantART website. :)
Etiquette on Meridian.
[Nov 15, 2012 4:18:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates