• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 28
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 9041 times and has 27 replies Next Thread
deathtolll

[Artists] Y!PP Art Tutorials Reply to this Post

Ahoy; fellow artistic mates!

From great feedback on one of the portrait background competition threads, I've decided to take this here.

This is a thread for those that are looking for assistance, or want more know-how on a particular artistic subject.

Please do not hesitate to post in this thread, we will assist you with any questions or tutorial requests you may have. We will also accept all tutorials. You can either link us to a website or internal forum link, and it may be hyperlinked in this main post.

Please find helpful resources below.

Helpful Resources and Links

Program Links
FREE
Edits:
* added FireAlpaca
* added Ecastasy's ellipses
* added Ecastasy's video

----------------------------------------

Dricenticore says, "Normally I don't believe people who say they're girls on the internet but since you went from friendly to hostile in about 3 seconds"

Deathmessage on the Emerald Ocean.
[Edit 12 times, last edit by Clotho at Mar 10, 2013 9:35:14 PM]
[Oct 26, 2012 9:59:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cattrin

Re: [Artists] Y!PP Art Tutorials Reply to this Post

I'm not a professional and in no way are the methods I use the way others have to, but here's some video walkthroughs I made a bit ago:

These were narrated live as I drew them, so they're a bit slow and ramble-y, but bear with me.

[Colouring and Shading (for Photoshop and similar programs)]

[Trinket making (for Photoshop and similar programs)]

[Coming soon- Trinket making (for MS Paint and other programs)]

Their MS Paint equivalents are waiting for my graphics card and Windows Movie Maker to play nice, so as soon as they work their differences out I'll edit them in.

I'm willing to make tutorials on other things if people want me to.

Edit 2: Cattrin what program do you use to screen capture/tut vids?

I use Hypercam 3. It's free. :)

I also have Fraps, but that only allows capture if the program is self-contained and not browser or window-based.
Cattrin of Cerulean
Avatar by Apollo (we miss you :c), Blakbead, Angelira, Coriander, and Accelerator!

X tells ye, "Stop yo drawing fool!"

[Edit 4 times, last edit by cattrin at Oct 26, 2012 1:42:13 PM]
[Oct 26, 2012 1:24:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
XEcastasy

Fun! I know there is a yypedia page dedicated to art tutorials, http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Art:Helpful_art_tutorials_and_resources

This could also be a thread where anyone can ask questions regarding artist methods/programs. That would also help the birth of new tutorials!

Edit: In regard to your portrait post, I personally tend to use Photoshop CS5, Illustration CS5 and Corel Painter 12. Depending on my mood and looks I want to achieve. I also always use my tablet, a Wacom Cintiq 21UX, which is my love child. And I have a smudge guard glove to keep my stroke more natural on my tablet. But I prefer to doodle/sketch with prismacolor pencils and scan them in. Can't beat the feel of real paper!

Edit 2: Cattrin what program do you use to screen capture/tut vids?
Ecastasy of ... Cerulean

[Edit 2 times, last edit by XEcastasy at Oct 26, 2012 1:40:06 PM]
[Oct 26, 2012 1:27:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
SilveRansom

There's this tutorial I did a while back, all Photoshop based. I use Photoshop Elements 2.0, but the concepts work with pretty much any layer-based graphics editor, so GIMP, Photoshop CSx, Painter, whatever.

http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?p=1568684#1568684
Silveransom
makes art like this or this &
Blender Eggs!
[Nov 16, 2012 2:35:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://s13.invisionfree.com/Peregrine_Design/ [Link]  Go to top 
deathtolll

I'm going to revamp the original post soon when I get some time; easier to navigate to tutorials etc.

Please post requests/tutorials.

~DM

Dricenticore says, "Normally I don't believe people who say they're girls on the internet but since you went from friendly to hostile in about 3 seconds"

[Nov 16, 2012 4:15:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
deathtolll

I'm going to revamp the original post soon when I get some time; easier to navigate to tutorials etc.

Please post requests/tutorials.

~DM

Edit: UPDATED!

[Nov 17, 2012 5:33:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Clotho
OceanMaster

Ecastasy's Object(s) in two point perspective
[Nov 26, 2012 2:06:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
deathtolll

Ecastasy's Object(s) in two point perspective

Thank you very much; I have added to the main post.

[Nov 26, 2012 2:17:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Booful

A bit of tips on trinkets from me, no video just how i do it:)
\

Aloha :)
Thought i'd offer my 2 cents worth of advice.
First i always start my art as a pencil sketch, whether a background or a trinket. Then i usually scan it in or take a photo and use that as a base layer. I then outline the lines and color it using either the fill bucket or the gradient fill tool.
This is what a typical sketch would look like:

I use paint.net, and a mouse, and layers are my best friend. i usually start with a 300pixel image as working with a larger image is easier and the end result is much smoother and less pixelated.
I found any larger you may start adding too much detail, and any smaller its either gets too hard to really focus on the details or the result is too pixellated.

I end up shrinking it on occasion to see how it would look shrunken. Also too much detail is not good. :

One note on colors: try to use a gradient (as below) or some form of *shading* (like the pirate Santa's hair) to make the image less flat (I used red-white on the heart in this case and white-grey for the dagger)

Shading can be the difference between a winning and a losing entry. You can see what a difference the right shading made in the trinket below:

If i decide to change colors i usually do that at the very end of the trinket making process...Like the Vampiric pocket watch:
I usually choose a solid color to recolor, in this case i chose the yellow. Also, when i had first created this one i noticed the lines got cut off the sides so ended up editing it to make sure the black outline covers the entire picture. (so positioning is important)

Speaking of positioning - try to use the entire area available. It looks better when you do, and most of the winning trinkets had this in common. And don't be afraid to go back and edit a entry even after you have submitted it (as long as its before the deadline)

I heavily rely on using existing trinkets for referencing as well in terms of style, design color etc.

~Pixelpixie
PixelPixie; I collect Sunfish, Angelfish, Blowfish Pixelpixie avvy's Avvy by me
[Edit 5 times, last edit by Booful at Nov 30, 2012 10:43:06 AM]
[Nov 29, 2012 8:49:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
deathtolll

This is really great; good work! Have added to the main post.

[Nov 30, 2012 2:29:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
deathtolll

If anyone has free graphics software links please feel free to share them. (must not be cracked/illegal programs)

[Nov 30, 2012 2:34:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Booful

I edited my post, it was late last night and I forgot to add a few things i think is important ^^

as for a link to paint.net, here ya go :) I highly recommend this FREE program for things like changing image sizes etc. and also because you have unlimited layers!: http://www.getpaint.net/
[Nov 30, 2012 10:46:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Yngve6

If anyone has free graphics software links please feel free to share them. (must not be cracked/illegal programs)

Desktop
Artweaver
Paint .net
Artrage 2 the Artrage 2 starter edition is free

On line
Pixler
Sumo paint
Inghild on Meridian
Yngve on Emerald
[Nov 30, 2012 10:53:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Booful

Oh, you can also try any of the photoshop programs for free (everything available) for 30 days. (perfect if you wanted to try it out for one of the background contests! (just beware if you need to do any *almost winner editing* as you may not have access to the program after the deadline!)
[Nov 30, 2012 11:41:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Yngve6

Well :S tried to make some video tutorial on how I made my fireworks in Artrage.
Round fireworks
Spiky fireworks

Even though most people use different art programs I still hope it might be of some use.
Inghild on Meridian
Yngve on Emerald
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Yngve6 at Nov 30, 2012 2:00:08 PM]
[Nov 30, 2012 1:25:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Kikuneechan

I haven't the chance to use this program too much yet, but it is a combination of Paint Tool SAI and Photoshop.

It is free and works on both Macs and PCs.

FireAlpaca
--Kikuneechan of Sage-Emerald (& others)
[ Captain of the Remnant ];
{ avatar is self-made }
busy with real life.
[Dec 9, 2012 10:20:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
deathtolll

Thanks for the heads up on the Graphics Program, I will edit the main post ASAP.

[Dec 29, 2012 6:35:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
XEcastasy

I stumbled across an artist who uses Inkscape. Which is apparently an open source illustration program, similar to adobe illustrator.

http://inkscape.org/

:)
Ecastasy of ... Cerulean

[Jan 9, 2013 1:48:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
deathtolll

I stumbled across an artist who uses Inkscape. Which is apparently an open source illustration program, similar to adobe illustrator.

http://inkscape.org/

:)

Thanks for that mate, I had already added that one.

It is certainly a little obsolete compared to illustrator though but it does exactly what you need.

I am unable to edit my original post as it is older than 90 days.

[Jan 13, 2013 2:57:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
XEcastasy

Ellipses in perspective video demo :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXYCcMqNZa0&feature=youtu.be
Ecastasy of ... Cerulean

[Mar 9, 2013 8:08:52 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
PirateYoHo90

can someone make a video of how to upload to yppedia instead of directions? pleeeeeease? ;)
Tinycat on Cerulean
Disclaimer: I purposely bring drama into peaceful conversations.
[Mar 9, 2013 8:02:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
XEcastasy

like for backgrounds?
Ecastasy of ... Cerulean

[Mar 9, 2013 8:07:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
PirateYoHo90

like for backgrounds?

yes...sorry if this isnt the thread for that. i would tip you if your on cerulean or dub ocean for video. small tip lol
Tinycat on Cerulean
[Mar 9, 2013 8:45:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
XEcastasy

Yeah, I could probs do that. No tippers necessary
Ecastasy of ... Cerulean

[Mar 9, 2013 8:55:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
PirateYoHo90

Yeah, I could probs do that. No tippers necessary

Tinycat on Cerulean
[Mar 9, 2013 9:05:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
XEcastasy

Hahaaa

Here you go :)

Video demo on how to upload your portrait background :)
Ecastasy of ... Cerulean

[Mar 9, 2013 10:07:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Clotho
OceanMaster

Thank you Eca! Added the tutorial on ellipses and the video to the OP.

Edit: also added the link to this tutorial on YPPedia.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Clotho at Mar 10, 2013 9:43:05 PM]
[Mar 10, 2013 9:36:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
XEcastasy

Thanks Clotho and your magical prowess ^_^
Ecastasy of ... Cerulean

[Mar 10, 2013 9:42:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates