• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 113
Posts: 113   Pages: 4   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 9912 times and has 112 replies Next Thread
Clotho
OceanMaster

Limited Edition Portrait Background - Winter 2012 Edition! [Winners announced!] Reply to this Post

Arrr! It's portrait background time!

Winners!

Theme:
This is the Winter Edition, and you can submit any background that is suitable for release during winter or Christmas/New Year celebrations. You might want to represent festivities for any of the winter holidays, or winter, Festivus, Christmas, Boxing Day, Santa Claus, St. Nickolaus, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, snow, bells, candles, ornaments, wreaths, snowman, snowflakes, trees, decorations, poinsettias, New Year's Eve, New Year's Day or... well, you get the idea. If you're representing a religious holiday, remember to stick to the secular celebration of that holiday rather than overtly religious images.

Submissions:
Entrants will create original backgrounds that are consistent with the theme and style of the game. The image must look sensible with characters placed on it in any of the orientations possible for its size.
Entries must fit the appropriate scale.

1-pirate backgrounds: 348 x 650
2-pirate backgrounds: 696 x 650
Large backgrounds: 1600 x 1170
Expansive backgrounds: 2000 x 1275

Reworking entries:
To update an entry, please upload the latest version with the same file name as the previous version of the entry. If you want an alternative version rather than a replacement, multiple entries per artist are also acceptable. You can enter multiple times for any theme.

Only original art is accepted. You must create the images yourself.
Plagiarized entries, photographs, and other unsuitable entries may be removed from the entry page without notice.
References to copyrighted intellectual properties should be excluded from the entries. We don't want anyone laboring on some amazing art that has to be ignored because of this.
You may use reference materials for your work, but if you base your work substantially on a reference, please acknowledge it in your forum post. You do not need to acknowledge any game art used as reference material.

Upload your images to the YPPedia, name the file according to the naming scheme listed there, and also post links to the thumbnails here in this thread, for comment. If you want your pirate name to appear rather than your account name should you win, please follow the image tag scheme below carefully.

NOTE: NEW instructions for destination filename
The arrtists have requested a change to the naming of files uploaded to YPPedia for this contest. This naming scheme may not be the same as the general YPPedia file upload scheme, but we're hoping that it's distinctive enough that it won't cause undue confusion. Note that this is in addition to the requirements for the image tags.
Here is the new format requested for the filenames on YPPedia:

monthly_yourname_title_the_way_you_want_to_appear_in_game.png

All in lower-case and put underscores between all the separate words in the title (YPPedia will change the first m into M - don't worry about this). So, if I want my portrait background to appear as Clotho's Tangled Thread, I would use:
monthly_clotho_tangled_thread.png

Instructions for tags in the summary field
The tag for this contest is "nov12contest" so that we know which entries to consider when judging starts. The summary field for the upload, then, should be:
{{contesttag|accountname|creditname|Portrait Title}}
where
"contesttag" is replaced by this month's tag shown below, "accountname" is replaced by your own forum name
"creditname" is replaced by either your forum name again, or your pirate name, whichever you want credited with the background
"Portrait Title" is replaced by your suggested title for the portrait background

e.g. {{nov12contest|Clotho|Spinner|Loom}}
or {{nov12contest|Cassopia|Whitenose|Spindle}}

If the name to credit the portrait with is the same as the account name, it would go in twice.
e.g. {{nov12contest|Clotho|Clotho|Tangled Threads}}

Judging:
Quality of work, style, how well the background fits with the game's theme, and how well the placement of the portrait characters fit into the background are the primary determining factors.

The entries will be judged in the Three Rings offices by the arrrtists and the winner will be put into future releases as a Limited Edition portrait background. The portrait background may also be re-used for limited times later, and even (if appropriate) adopted as a longer-term or permanent portrait background, rather than a limited duration one. The same winning artist may be chosen more than once for different entries. Entrants may be asked by the arrrtists to make small changes to their designs after the judging.

Submitted works are eligible for winning future contests. Artists who entered backgrounds in a previous contest: if they are eligible for the current contest, please enter them again! We would love to reconsider them. Likewise, if a background does not win, it can be submitted for future contests, as long as it fits within the theme of each contest.

Prizes:
A winning entry will be included in the in-game list of available portrait backgrounds, usually for a limited duration. Anyone in the game can use it when it is available.
Each winning entrant will also receive a Puzzle Pirates real-life item and a pack of playing cards in the mail, a free copy of his/her portrait in-game, choice of Fishheadred or Greenbones egg or doll, and a clothing item of her choice in the color(s) of her choice. The clothing item can be any item that can be ordered from a tailoring shoppe without needing a design or reputation.
In the event of the same artist winning multiple prizes or multiple months, an additional clothing item can be substituted for the real-life prizes if the artist does not feel like having a household full of Puzzle Pirates Paraphernalia.

Deadline:
November 15th 2012, 11:59pm game time

Suggestions:
-- Make it look like it came right out of the game.
--Get your line weights down, and compare with existing portraits to be sure.
--Keep your lighting consistent with the lighting on the pirate portrait art.
--Choose a scene that many in the game would like to use.
--Take your time and rework, going to others for advice and critique.
--A very small signature in the lower right corner is acceptable.
--In general avoid words - if you do use them, use them minimally, and only when they are not central to the understanding of the portrait.
--Pay close attention to your composition - the composition of backgrounds related to pirate placement is a major consideration and sometimes otherwise good backgrounds are eliminated because the nicest elements are blocked by the pirates once they are in frame.

Other suggestions and links:
Questions, discussion, entries and feedback can all be posted here. Good luck!

Edit: added reminder about copyrighted material.

Para español, haz clic aquí.
----------------------------------------

Hilando las hebras de la vida pirata...
[Edit 6 times, last edit by Clotho at Nov 20, 2012 9:10:05 PM]

[Oct 17, 2012 6:57:52 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hikariks

Re: Limited Edition Portrait Background - Winter 2012 Edition! [Deadline November 15th] Reply to this Post

Am i allowed to enter and see what i kind do with baby steps? xD
Well! I made a sketch with trees on the first part, a lake, a mountain/type -i need my dictionary :P my english is rusty!- pines pines pines, on a nice winter scenery -or at least my head thought it like that XD-

But i encountered the problem that you cant really see the ground!

So i tried pulling it up a bit to see if it worked~ but now it looks weird~ Help xD!? I need somebody

PS: ain't it weird im here using (the oh-used-to-be-annoying) layers? Or even a new program? xD
Yumisa World Wide ;)
Your Favourite Cookie Monster <3op
Can't find me? Im on Deviant Art!
[Oct 17, 2012 6:41:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
x_starfire_x

Re: Limited Edition Portrait Background - Winter 2012 Edition! [Deadline November 15th] Reply to this Post

Yay! Nice to see you're using layers!!

I do like the first one better, I think you'll just need to add another horizon line at the back (like snowcapped mountains or something) and you'll be fine :D <3
Angelira [Ceru] & Vespera [Em]

Avatar by Yumisa, Kurenai, Seapint, Ivy and Daeva!

~Art Gallery~ ~Website~

Very much alive on forums <3 ;)
[Oct 17, 2012 8:46:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://angelira.deviantart.com [Link]  Go to top 
deathtolll

Clotho,

I believe that the template 'nov12' provided has failed to work and redirect to the portrait page. Is this an issue caused by myself? Please let me know so I can edit the code in the summary field.

Have tried for a different scene; using Photoshop CS6.

Dricenticore says, "Normally I don't believe people who say they're girls on the internet but since you went from friendly to hostile in about 3 seconds"

Deathmessage on the Emerald Ocean.
[Edit 2 times, last edit by deathtolll at Oct 26, 2012 10:31:56 AM]
[Oct 26, 2012 10:31:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Clotho
OceanMaster

Clotho,

I believe that the template 'nov12' provided has failed to work and redirect to the portrait page. Is this an issue caused by myself? Please let me know so I can edit the code in the summary field.

Looks like Faulkston has taken care of it now (thank you, Faulkston!)

[Oct 26, 2012 5:26:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CapnKkatz

Couple of versions of this one - with words and with an icon. Any suggestions?

Greylady, Meridian & Emerald
Greyladyy on Cerulean
Cronus tells ye, "...it's Hera's doing. She spread those horrid lies of me eating poor innocent babies. *burp*"
Cronus tells ye, "When in doubt blame Hera"
[Oct 26, 2012 7:10:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
deathtolll

Backgrounds without text are more favoured I believe; as there are other nationalities that play this game.

Dricenticore says, "Normally I don't believe people who say they're girls on the internet but since you went from friendly to hostile in about 3 seconds"

[Oct 26, 2012 7:36:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cattrin

4/7 completed. c:

Snow fort (Reconfiguration of a previous background )

Northern lights

Pond skating

Peppermint stick forest

Christmas morning (redo of a very old attempt)

Frosty/snowy windowpanes

I'm also debating whether or not to redo [this one] with a sleigh/Clydesdale ride through the park type scene, but I'm not sure if that's cheap.

I'd be redrawing everything in the image, but I still am not sure if that's alright to do.
Cattrin of Midnight Cerulean (and sometimes Viridian Meridian)
Avatar by Apollo, Wiske, Shawe, Blakbead, Daeva, Bunnylaroo and Musicologist!

X tells ye, "Stop yo drawing fool!"

[Edit 7 times, last edit by cattrin at Oct 29, 2012 2:20:02 PM]
[Oct 27, 2012 8:41:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hikariks

Hmmm i'm still not sure if the colours i chose are ok XD but this is what i chose colour wise :o

I feel so weird XD
Yumisa World Wide ;)
[Oct 27, 2012 2:18:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cattrin

Hmmm i'm still not sure if the colours i chose are ok XD but this is what i chose colour wise :o

I feel so weird XD

I'm not sure if that's ice or water, but if you think about how water in both forms reflects easily, the pond should reflect the colour of whatever colour sky you implement (and any overhanging trees or snow banks along the edges)...I think that might be what looks a bit off (Similar with the mountains, distance "foggyness" and reflection on them could have a slightly more red or orange hue like the sky does).

If it is ice, the colour probably could also be more muted.

Just my thoughts, not suggestions or necessities.

[Edit 2 times, last edit by cattrin at Oct 27, 2012 2:51:12 PM]
[Oct 27, 2012 2:44:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
XEcastasy

@ Yumisa- Your artwork is much improving! I like the fact that you're desaturating things as they go into the distance! I agree with Cattrin about the water/ice pond, water tends to reflect a darker version of the sky. I'm also not sure about your sky colors. If you want the sky to be more like sunset-y with the purples and pinks, I think a nice gradient would benefit you more than the splotches :)
Ecastasy of ... Cerulean

[Oct 27, 2012 3:26:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hikariks

@ Yumisa- Your artwork is much improving! I like the fact that you're desaturating things as they go into the distance! I agree with Cattrin about the water/ice pond, water tends to reflect a darker version of the sky. I'm also not sure about your sky colors. If you want the sky to be more like sunset-y with the purples and pinks, I think a nice gradient would benefit you more than the splotches :)

Uhmmm so more or less like this? o.o

Yumisa World Wide ;)
[Oct 27, 2012 5:07:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
XEcastasy

@ Yumisa- Yes :D I like the tree reflection you made :D You could probably darken the water more though and the mountains need a little something more. You could always pull those evergreens all the way across in the background to separate the mountains from the snowy banks to create more depth and then darken the mountains more!
Ecastasy of ... Cerulean

[Oct 27, 2012 5:14:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hikariks

@ Yumisa- Yes :D I like the tree reflection you made :D You could probably darken the water more though and the mountains need a little something more. You could always pull those evergreens all the way across in the background to separate the mountains from the snowy banks to create more depth and then darken the mountains more!

Thats for sure XD though i havent done anything other than the sky and water XD! But im glad @.q! I really hope it turns out decent >< using SAI isnt as easy as it seems @.@~
Yumisa World Wide ;)
[Oct 27, 2012 5:20:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
XEcastasy

I think the devs should implement a "like" post in these forums :P. I look forward to seeing your progress Yumisa ^_^

In the meantime I doodled this last night and procrastinated on my work and finished it today! Thoughts?

Ecastasy of ... Cerulean

[Oct 27, 2012 7:09:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cattrin

In the meantime I doodled this last night and procrastinated on my work and finished it today! Thoughts?

I might think of changing the stars to be a bit less cookie-cutter, maybe even just a size difference here and there, otherwise it looks a bit odd. (Plus if the moon was that big and bright, chances are the stars closest to it would be dimmer)

Also, if all the other pines have lights on them, why not the one next to the pirate? :)

[Oct 27, 2012 7:34:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Clotho
OceanMaster

Important reminder:

References to copyrighted intellectual properties should be excluded from the entries. We don't want anyone laboring on some amazing art that has to be ignored because of this. We've had some entries that are beautifully executed but had to be put aside because of obvious references to copyrighted material.

If in doubt, you can always ask on this thread or send me a PM.

[Oct 27, 2012 7:41:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
deathtolll

I bought a scanner yesterday solely dedicated to Y!PP portrait backgrounds. I've started doing sketches then importing them VIA photoshop; using my tablet.

Hopefully I'm improving at these.

~DM

[Oct 27, 2012 8:05:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
XEcastasy

Also, if all the other pines have lights on them, why not the one next to the pirate? :)

Hahaa because I was feeling particularly lazy! I'll find another day to go back and put lights on it. And I'll keep messing with the stars, thanks :D

References to copyrighted intellectual properties should be excluded from the entries. We don't want anyone laboring on some amazing art that has to be ignored because of this. We've had some entries that are beautifully executed but had to be put aside because of obvious references to copyrighted material.

Erm, did I inspire this? I looked at a bunch of different santa sleighs for inspiration/reference to make my own, but I can totally keep tweaking it :|
Ecastasy of ... Cerulean

[Oct 27, 2012 8:06:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
deathtolll

Hahaa because I was feeling particularly lazy! I'll find another day to go back and put lights on it. And I'll keep messing with the stars, thanks :D

Erm, did I inspire this? I looked at a bunch of different santa sleighs for inspiration/reference to make my own, but I can totally keep tweaking it :|

This means your artwork looks too good. :P

[Oct 27, 2012 8:16:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
deathtolll

Thinking of a stormy ocean scene... Seems to be missing something. Any ideas? Working with a new style.

Cheers,

DM

[Oct 28, 2012 4:50:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
XEcastasy

This means your artwork looks too good. :P

Hahaaa aww thanks :P

I like the feel of your big blue one. As for your single portrait, if it's a stormy sea, the sky above the sea seems to be pretty clear cloud wise. It looks like the storm is way off the in the distance, not sure if that what was you were going for. Otherwise maybe more variation in the sea waves would benefit you. What is the pirate standing on? Maybe you could implement a ship or something, unless the pirate is like Jesus and we can now walk on water ;)
Ecastasy of ... Cerulean

[Oct 28, 2012 8:25:39 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Clotho
OceanMaster

The work in progress on this edition has not been reviewed yet, so the reminder to avoid using copyrighted material does not specifically refer to any of the backgrounds in progress (they haven't been seen by the artists yet!).

We just want to prevent someone from putting a lot of effort on something that we can't use because it clearly references the intellectual property of others. (One example would be a LOTR reference)

I hope I didn't confuse you all more!

[Oct 28, 2012 9:48:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
XEcastasy

Actually, that was very enlightening! Thanks Clotho :)
Ecastasy of ... Cerulean

[Oct 28, 2012 3:25:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cattrin

Yay or nay to the snow? I'm not sure if the intended empty sky is too simplistic or not.

[Oct 29, 2012 2:25:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
deathtolll

Yay or nay to the snow? I'm not sure if the intended empty sky is too simplistic or not.

Maybe have a gradient with the sky between a darker blue and the sky colour you already have. This will give it more contrast.

Also, at the top of your background in the two corners; the snow should only be on the bottom parts of each window.

However; I could be wrong; I'm not sure if snow would stay there; I've ne'er seen snow before. :(

DM

[Oct 29, 2012 3:15:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hikariks

The moment you are nto sure what you are doing anymore... lol

Yumisa World Wide ;)
[Oct 29, 2012 5:30:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
deathtolll

The moment you are nto sure what you are doing anymore... lol

Looks great! Make the outlines on objects darker; but leave faded in the background; also tidy up where the colour has went past the lines.

Hope I can help.

DM

[Oct 29, 2012 6:18:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
lala_baby

Looks great Cattrin :), I prefer the one with the snow, the one without looks a lil plain for me, but this is just my opinion :)

@Yumisa: Looking great! I love the icy water, the reflection is epic, besides tidying up the colour spills around the outlines, all I can really suggest is maybe adding some more depth in the mountain like darkening up parts with a darker shade to create ridges and making it look more rocky, I hope that makes sense xD, I'm typing this while half asleep ^_^ Looking forward to seeing the final result!
"Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery, but Today is a gift, that is why we call it the present" <3

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Frayscarlet of Emerald

[Oct 30, 2012 12:02:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hikariks

Ive been wondering how to make the mountains look rocky *o* but XD its making my head explode.
i hope that when i completely completely finish @.@ it will be ok! but thanks for the tips :3
Yumisa World Wide ;)
[Oct 30, 2012 5:38:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 113   Pages: 4   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2014 Three Rings Design, Inc. All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates