• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 64
Posts: 64   Pages: 3   [ First Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 6826 times and has 63 replies Next Thread
Mcimp

Quoth the Magpie [Results posted] Reply to this Post

WINNERS

(Link to larger image]

Your task is to write a poem set in our Puzzle Pirate world, that is similar in structure to Edgar Allan Poe's 'The Raven', in response to the letter pictured above. You should note that both the rhyming schemes and the poetic structure of the original are rather complex, so it's worthwhile to do some research.

Your poem should be devoted to Clotho and/or Atropos, and include a magpie. It does not need to parody Poe's poem - you should come up with your own storyline, setting and reasons for the characters. Choose the length as you see fit, there is no limit on the number of words or verses.

Please note the following requirements carefully for inclusion into your piece, as they make the task more complex and will impact on your score. To clarify, don't include the quotes, do include the instruction inspired by the quote.
  • "tapping at my chamber door" - a scene or setting.
  • "Perched upon a bust of Pallas" - reference to an ingame item.
  • "While I nodded, nearly napping," - alliteration.
  • "still is sitting, still is sitting" - repetition.
  • "sorrow for the lost Lenore" - emotion.

Housekeeping:
  • This event is open to pirates from all production oceans, however, all entries must be in English. If prizes need to be delivered to Jade or Opal, renames and inscriptions will be substituted for something relevant to that ocean.
  • Work must be original.
  • Normal forum rules regarding content, and in-game filter rules apply
  • You may only enter once.
  • There is no word limit! This task is complex enough already :)
  • Deadline: Midnight game time, October 31, 2012. Entries posted or edited after the deadline will be disqualified.
  • Post your entry to the ENTRY THREAD
  • Make sure to include your pirate name and ocean in your entry post, and prize order if it is different to the order listed.

Prizes:
Half a magpie Tan/black parrot familiar, and an inscribed seasonal trinket.
Black and white parrot feather and a Limited edition sloop (TBA) Your choice of a skelly or vampire class sloop, with a standard rename, and an inscribed seasonal trinket.
White and black parrot feather and a Limited edition sloop (skelly or vampire, depending on 2nd place choice) with a standard rename, and an inscribed seasonal trinket.
Furniture package: Pedestal, Female pirate bust, Painting of Palace (hurr hurr), Fancy bookshelf, Black/White Striped chair , Fireplace and Fancy wall lamp, and an inscribed seasonal trinket.

Additionally, Clotho and Atropos have a portrait prize up their sleeves for a winner of their choosing.

Judging
Basically, judging will be broken down into 3 areas, weighted as follows:

(1) Your poem as its own piece (without reference to Poe's work): 50%
(2) Comparison to Poe's work: 30%
(3) Additional inclusions: 20%

Handy Links:
The Raven, by Edgar Allan Poe
Wikipedia analysis

Pretty picture by inghild :)
----------------------------------------
I am pretty, oh so pretty...
Elegant avatar by the talented Wayfarer.

[Edit 5 times, last edit by Mcimp at Nov 6, 2012 2:36:57 AM]
[Oct 1, 2012 2:58:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Yngve6

Re: Quoth the Magpie [Deadline: October 31] Reply to this Post

Aw, I whish I could write. I love mr Poe's poems.
Inghild on Meridian
Yngve on Emerald
[Oct 1, 2012 3:15:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jongy5

A familiar for poetry<3- I'll be sure to plot something nice for your event Imp.

erm .e cackles?

Also-do the below have to be included word for word? -as in Poe's phrases. Or does the writing simply need to have a scene, reference,alliteration blah blah?

"tapping at my chamber door" - a scene or setting.

"Perched upon a bust of Pallas" - reference to an ingame item.

"While I nodded, nearly napping," - alliteration.

"still is sitting, still is sitting" - repetition.

"sorrow for the lost Lenore" - emotion
Musicologist : Self-proclaimed Master Minstrel mostly of Meridian
Clotho tells ye, "I love your musical art, thank you for sharing!"

Avvy by the awesome Velternal!
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Jongy5 at Oct 1, 2012 3:35:28 PM]
[Oct 1, 2012 3:33:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Mcimp

A familiar for poetry<3- I'll be sure to plot something nice for your event Imp.

erm .e cackles?

Also-do the below have to be included word for word? -as in Poe's phrases. Or does the writing simply need to have a scene, reference,alliteration blah blah?

"tapping at my chamber door" - a scene or setting.

"Perched upon a bust of Pallas" - reference to an ingame item.

"While I nodded, nearly napping," - alliteration.

"still is sitting, still is sitting" - repetition.

"sorrow for the lost Lenore" - emotion

The latter - I'm just using the quotes as examples. Thanks, I'll update the OP to clarify.

@ Inghild, you can always have a go and see what happens :)

[Oct 1, 2012 4:27:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Inquisition

Our entries have to match Poe's style of poetry (rhyming etc) in The Raven? Or can we go into our style and include the other requirements?
Armegin

Dexla's artwork.
[Oct 2, 2012 12:08:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Mcimp

Our entries have to match Poe's style of poetry (rhyming etc) in The Raven? Or can we go into our style and include the other requirements?

The closer you can get to it the better, but if you are finding it hard, just choose one or two aspects to focus on.

Writing in a completely different style won't disqualify you, but it will affect your score. How that pans out will depend on how amazing the other entries are, so it's a balance you'll have to decide for yourself.

If anyone so desires, I can post a guide to how scoring will be allocated. Would that help?

[Oct 2, 2012 1:37:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Katez5

Any additional info is always welcome :)
Katez
SO & Lookout of Fire and Ice
Princess of Elements of Fear
Cerulean (formerly Cobalt)
[Oct 2, 2012 10:16:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
atoms12123

This event is open to pirates from all production oceans, however, all entries must be in English

Can we use certain words of other languages? For rhyming and rhythm purposes?
Ions
Captain of the Pimps at Sea.

Avatars by Inghild, Yumisa ...and Imp.
[Oct 3, 2012 1:30:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Atoms12123    Atoms12123 [Link]  Go to top 
Mcimp

Any additional info is always welcome :)

Basically, judging will be broken down into 3 areas, weighted as follows:

(1) Your poem as its own piece (without reference to Poe's work): 50%
(2) Comparison to Poe's work: 30%
(3) Additional inclusions: 20%

I'll edit this into the OP.

Can we use certain words of other languages? For rhyming and rhythm purposes?

Yes. Nonsense too if you like, it gets filed under artistic license :)

[Oct 3, 2012 3:18:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Trochilus

Yay, I have written a poem! :D
I have created images, as to make it look like a response to the letter in the original post, but if it's difficult to read I can repost it as text.
There may be some oddities in my choice of words here and there though, as English is not my native language, but please just file that under “artistic license” also. ;)

And another thing: there are two references that might be pretty obscure (in the 6th and 10th stanzas). If perhaps you don’t recognize them, I’d be happy to point them out and explain.
Trochilus of Meridian
Fleet Officer of the Deadly Dragon.

"The truth shall make ye fret"
[Oct 6, 2012 9:29:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jongy5

ooooh- I love your entry Trochilus!

for not being a native speaker, you captured a fair bit of likeness to Poe's poem :D!

@Imp- does making the entry aesthetically pretty i.e adding awesome pages and scripts and such affect judging? or- is it strictly text- based?

[Oct 7, 2012 6:11:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Mcimp

@ Trochilus: I apologise for being slow to reply, I'm waiting on some information. Using the pictures without adding a text-only copy is fine, it's legible. My only concern is that the images you have used may be too large for the forums, and shrinking them may affect their readability. I'll get back to you once I know more.

@Imp- does making the entry aesthetically pretty i.e adding awesome pages and scripts and such affect judging? or- is it strictly text- based?

It's very pretty, but no, it won't affect your score. To be precise, the additional presentation elements will come under technical scoring for punctuation and formatting. Adding arty detail won't add anything to your score. I haven't specified text-only entries in the OP though, so you're welcome to decide for yourself. :)

Note that while it's ok to use pictures for this event, that's only because this time, I don't have to do a word count.

[Oct 7, 2012 7:52:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Capndi

I am having so much fun with this. It may even be longer than Poe's poem :)

Niobetha
[Oct 7, 2012 9:33:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Mcimp

I've updated the OP to include ship types for second and third: There will be one skeleton class sloop and one vampire class sloop up for grabs.

I am having so much fun with this. It may even be longer than Poe's poem :)

Yay!

[Oct 8, 2012 4:16:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Mcimp

Yay, I have written a poem! :D
I have created images, as to make it look like a response to the letter in the original post, but if it's difficult to read I can repost it as text.

Regarding images: As previously stated, jazzing your entry up will NOT be an advantage in judging. Requested image size for the forums is 800x800 or less, and consensus from my judges is that they would universally prefer entries to be text-only. One judge particularly prefers to print a hardcopy out and judge from that, and having several large images interferes both with the forum printable view, and also stops her from copy/pasting the text into a document.

With that in mind, I will request that poems be entered mainly in plain text, with any additional images included as links. If you decide to use images anyway, please at least make sure to include a plain text version with your entry.

To use your example Trochilus, it would be fine to use a slightly smaller 'covering letter' part of your story heading your entry as an image, post the entire poem in plain text, and include links for the other pictures.

I hope I have been clear enough, please let me know if I've confused you and I'll clarify.

And another thing: there are two references that might be pretty obscure (in the 6th and 10th stanzas). If perhaps you don?t recognize them, I?d be happy to point them out and explain.

That would be great. Anyone else who would like to add a note at the end of their entry explaining clever references we might have missed is welcome to do so.

[Oct 9, 2012 4:06:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Trochilus

Thank you for the information. In accordance to the judges' wishes I have (after a few tries) edited my post into text-only.
Trochilus of Meridian
Fleet Officer of the Deadly Dragon.

"The truth shall make ye fret"
[Oct 10, 2012 8:30:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
thylawrence2

Thanks for hosting this; I love the competition idea, and watch for my entry in the weeks to come!

A question about the requirements, though: what exactly is meant by "do include the instruction inspired by the quote"? Does it just mean that we should have reference to an in-game item, alliteration, repetition, and emotion in our poem? Sorry if this seems like a stupid question, I just want to clarify the necessary components of the poem =)

-Tothemoonn of the Emerald Ocean
All about Tothemoonn! of the Emerald Ocean

Artistic rendition of my face and upper body by the superbly skilled Xioch!
[Oct 14, 2012 12:28:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Mcimp

Thanks for hosting this; I love the competition idea, and watch for my entry in the weeks to come!

A question about the requirements, though: what exactly is meant by "do include the instruction inspired by the quote"? Does it just mean that we should have reference to an in-game item, alliteration, repetition, and emotion in our poem? Sorry if this seems like a stupid question, I just want to clarify the necessary components of the poem =)

-Tothemoonn of the Emerald Ocean

Yes: you should include a reference to an in-game item somewhere in your poem, as well as have some alliteration, some repetition and some emotion, somewhere in your piece.

Good luck, I am looking forward to reading more entries :)

[Oct 14, 2012 12:46:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Capndi

But what rhymes with magpie?? Thinking....thinking.....
[Oct 14, 2012 8:33:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Bunnylaroo

But what rhymes with magpie?? Thinking....thinking.....

Pig sty? Stink eye? Bar fly? The possibilities are endless.

Although I may be tipping my hand here...

I need to get to work on this! Oddly enough, I tried to parody "The Raven" for a Camp Scurvy entry about s'mores earlier this year, with...limited...success LOL. Maybe this time I'll get the meter down.
Bunnylaroo of Sage Emerald

[Oct 15, 2012 11:12:39 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dexla

LOL@ Bunny - I love you!
I wondered if cow pie had been considered, but I think I like your stink eye better!
DEXLA LOUISA MIDNIGHT on Cerulean
[Oct 15, 2012 11:16:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Capndi

And what rhymes with Clothos? hmm... This is harder than I thought.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Capndi at Oct 21, 2012 4:26:55 PM]
[Oct 21, 2012 4:26:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jongy5

Keep in mind that your POEm need not include Clotho and AtroPOEs as characters, the POEm simply needs to be devoted to them. The only content requirements seem to be the inclusion of a setting (literary, and piratey), alliteration, emotion, reference to an in-game furniture item and repetition in your final POEroduct.

i.e. I'd have a hard time coming up with a nice rhyme for Clotho :/

[Oct 21, 2012 5:05:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dexla

Mothra's 2nd cousin, twice removed.... Mothos
DEXLA LOUISA MIDNIGHT on Cerulean
[Oct 21, 2012 8:31:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jackingg

Mothra's 2nd cousin, twice removed.... Mothos

Thats where the phrase ''Like a Mothos to a Flamos'' comes from.
Ivytheblade

Not intended for those with weak constitutions

Now officially dating half your Parley Trolls.
[Oct 21, 2012 9:06:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ambaliya

um.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Ambaliya at Oct 26, 2012 2:54:10 PM]
[Oct 23, 2012 1:40:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Mcimp

Just a reminder that there's only a couple of days left to get entries in :)

[Oct 28, 2012 8:10:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jongy5

only 7 stanzas left!

[Oct 29, 2012 2:52:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Capndi

only 7 stanzas left!

Hurry up!! You can do it!
[Oct 29, 2012 8:13:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
joandart

Just a reminder that there's only a couple of days left to get entries in :)

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeek!
Herowena of Cerulean
Still Sleeping With The Fishes

[Oct 29, 2012 12:01:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 64   Pages: 3   [ First Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2014 Three Rings Design, Inc. All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates