• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 158
Posts: 158   Pages: 6   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 15724 times and has 157 replies Next Thread
Clotho
OceanMaster

Limited Edition Portrait Background - BYOB 5 Edition [Winners announced!] Reply to this Post

Ahoy again, everyone! It's portrait background time!
Winners!

Theme:
This month we are going back to the classics, with another BYOB! No, not Bring Yer Own Bottle, but Bring Yer Own Background. We are giving no restrictions on theme because we think it'll be fun to see what you come up with! This means that if you've had a brilliant idea for a background that just hasn't fit in with one of our themes, you can dig it out and give it a go. A previous entry had potential but wasn't quite right? An unfinished entry? A missed deadline? An entry you put in two years ago that you think would be popular? This is the time to bring back those amazing entries that you submitted in the past! Keep in mind that many times an entry doesn't win because there are so many winning choices, not because it wasn't awesome! Bring it on. We are prepared to be surprised and delighted!

Submissions:
Entrants will create original backgrounds that are consistent with the theme and style of the game. The image must look sensible with characters placed on it in any of the orientations possible for its size.
Entries must fit the appropriate scale.

1-pirate backgrounds: 348 x 650
2-pirate backgrounds: 696 x 650
Large backgrounds: 1600 x 1170
Expansive backgrounds: 2000 x 1275

Reworking entries:
To update an entry, please upload the latest version with the same file name as the previous version of the entry. If you want an alternative version rather than a replacement, multiple entries per artist are also acceptable. You can enter multiple times for any theme.

Only original art is accepted. You must create the images yourself.
Plagiarized entries, photographs, and other unsuitable entries may be removed from the entry page without notice.
You may use reference materials for your work, but if you base your work substantially on a reference, please acknowledge it in your forum post. You do not need to acknowledge any game art used as reference material.

Upload your images to the YPPedia, name the file according to the naming scheme listed there, and also post links to the thumbnails here in this thread, for comment. If you want your pirate name to appear rather than your account name should you win, please follow the image tag scheme below carefully.

NOTE: NEW instructions for destination filename
The arrtists have requested a change to the naming of files uploaded to YPPedia for this contest. This naming scheme may not be the same as the general YPPedia file upload scheme, but we're hoping that it's distinctive enough that it won't cause undue confusion. Note that this is in addition to the requirements for the image tags.
Here is the new format requested for the filenames on YPPedia:

monthly_yourname_title_the_way_you_want_to_appear_in_game.png

All in lower-case and put underscores between all the separate words in the title (YPPedia will change the first m into M - don't worry about this). So, if I want my portrait background to appear as Clotho's Tangled Thread, I would use:
monthly_clotho_tangled_thread.png

Instructions for tags in the summary field
The tag for this contest is "oct12contest" so that we know which entries to consider when judging starts. The summary field for the upload, then, should be:
{{contesttag|accountname|creditname|Portrait Title}}
where
"contesttag" is replaced by this month's tag shown below, "accountname" is replaced by your own forum name
"creditname" is replaced by either your forum name again, or your pirate name, whichever you want credited with the background
"Portrait Title" is replaced by your suggested title for the portrait background

e.g. {{oct12contest|Clotho|Spinner|Loom}}
or {{oct12contest|Cassopia|Whitenose|Spindle}}

If the name to credit the portrait with is the same as the account name, it would go in twice.
e.g. {{oct12contest|Clotho|Clotho|Tangled Threads}}

Judging:
Quality of work, style, how well the background fits with the game's theme, and how well the placement of the portrait characters fit into the background are the primary determining factors.

The entries will be judged in the Three Rings offices by the arrrtists and the winner will be put into future releases as a Limited Edition portrait background. The portrait background may also be re-used for limited times later, and even (if appropriate) adopted as a longer-term or permanent portrait background, rather than a limited duration one. The same winning artist may be chosen more than once for different entries. Entrants may be asked by the arrrtists to make small changes to their designs after the judging.

Submitted works are eligible for winning future contests. Artists who entered backgrounds in a previous contest: if they are eligible for the current contest, please enter them again! We would love to reconsider them. Likewise, if a background does not win, it can be submitted for future contests, as long as it fits within the theme of each contest.

Prizes:
A winning entry will be included in the in-game list of available portrait backgrounds, usually for a limited duration. Anyone in the game can use it when it is available.
Each winning entrant will also receive a Puzzle Pirates real-life item and a pack of playing cards in the mail, a free copy of his/her portrait in-game, choice of Fishheadred or Greenbones egg or doll, and a clothing item of her choice in the color(s) of her choice. The clothing item can be any item that can be ordered from a tailoring shoppe without needing a design or reputation.
In the event of the same artist winning multiple prizes or multiple months, an additional clothing item can be substituted for the real-life prizes if the artist does not feel like having a household full of Puzzle Pirates Paraphernalia.

Deadline:
October 16th 2012, 11:59pm game time

Suggestions:
-- Make it look like it came right out of the game.
--Get your line weights down, and compare with existing portraits to be sure.
--Keep your lighting consistent with the lighting on the pirate portrait art.
--Choose a scene that many in the game would like to use.
--Take your time and rework, going to others for advice and critique.
--A very small signature in the lower right corner is acceptable.
--In general avoid words - if you do use them, use them minimally, and only when they are not central to the understanding of the portrait.
--Pay close attention to your composition - the composition of backgrounds related to pirate placement is a major consideration and sometimes otherwise good backgrounds are eliminated because the nicest elements are blocked by the pirates once they are in frame.

Other suggestions and links:
Questions, discussion, entries and feedback can all be posted here. Good luck!

Para español, haz clic aquí.
----------------------------------------

Hilando las hebras de la vida pirata...
[Edit 4 times, last edit by Clotho at Oct 25, 2012 5:46:05 PM]

[Sep 19, 2012 11:55:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jongy5

Re: Limited Edition Portrait Background - BYOB 5 Edition [Deadline October 16th] Reply to this Post

.e coughs

YES
Musicologist : Self-proclaimed Master Minstrel mostly of Meridian
Clotho tells ye, "I love your musical art, thank you for sharing!"

Avvy by the awesome Velternal!
[Sep 19, 2012 12:14:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Yngve6

Re: Limited Edition Portrait Background - BYOB 5 Edition [Deadline October 16th] Reply to this Post

yay. Time for panda's I think. Started working on this one a while back. I just hope I can still remember how I made that waterfall :S

Inghild on Meridian
Yngve on Emerald
[Sep 19, 2012 3:24:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Kikuneechan

Time for panda's I think.

Eee. PANDA.
--Kikuneechan of Sage-Emerald (& others)
[ Captain of the Remnant ];
{ avatar is self-made }
busy with real life.
[Sep 19, 2012 5:47:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
XEcastasy

Oh yay! I didn't have time to finish my zombies so now I can enter it :D
Ecastasy of ... Cerulean

[Sep 19, 2012 11:28:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
x_starfire_x

Woot! I can make the Brigand Kings more 'chunky' hehe~ although I should make a better background for them :O
Angelira [Ceru] & Vespera [Em]

Avatar by Yumisa, Kurenai, Seapint, Ivy and Daeva!

~Art Gallery~ ~Website~

Very much alive on forums <3 ;)
[Sep 20, 2012 11:10:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://angelira.deviantart.com [Link]  Go to top 
SaviourS

This is my first art thing ever (sad), so I am really open to critique and how I can arrange it. Any suggestions are appreciated, a lot!

Saviour, Meridian
[Sep 21, 2012 12:42:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jongy5

@ Sav- I told you BYOB is coming up soon! and I'm not sure if I told you this before- but see if the background looks alright with a pirate cutout, also- if you want to spice up the background: comets, streams of stars are a good place to start.

And gratz again on the first background- it looks great.

[Sep 21, 2012 2:51:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
TehSjaak

My pirate would have a pooltable in his backyard and I had an idea and decided I would try to join the competition this month.

It's nowhere near finished but the first lines brought me this

It's hard to find a positioning where the details on the table aren't lost xP
Gluiperd of Emerald

[Edit 2 times, last edit by TehSjaak at Sep 21, 2012 6:56:25 AM]
[Sep 21, 2012 6:02:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
XEcastasy

@ Gluiperd - Cute idea! But you are having some technical issues with your table! I've attached an image to help describe what I'm getting it. Going from your portrait, you've established the horizon line (in red labeled HL), aka: the viewer's eyeline. Because you want us to see the top of the pool table, the table technically needs to be below this line. Because we can't see the top of anything that is above our natural line of sight. So we would be looking down at it.

I've set up the vanishing point (in blue), where all lines converge, in the middle just based on your composition. Everything we see becomes more narrow the further it goes back in distance. Your table doesn't really do that. I've marked in the red lines that converge to the VP and outlined your pool table in blue/green in how it would fit into that space more naturally.

Editor's Note: By no means is this the composition I would suggest, this image is merely a demonstration of a table in proper perspective. :)

This will be a tricky task for you! I look forward to the results ^_^
Ecastasy of ... Cerulean

[Edit 1 times, last edit by XEcastasy at Oct 6, 2012 8:19:58 AM]
[Sep 21, 2012 8:32:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sakura_Cerry

Eca, I wish you were my art teacher...
Kurenai of Midnight.
[Sep 22, 2012 5:11:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
N_o_v_a

Hey guys! I thought I'd post some progress on an idea I'm working on. It's pretty boring, but it's a quaint view from a row house balcony, at night. Anyway, here's what I have in terms of rough composition and very very rough colours (it's stilly very blue). I'm thinking of putting a lamp on the windowsill, some furniture visible inside, and more than likely some wine bottles and rum jugs for good measure.

I'm still working on the light sources and all that jazz. I've created a wireframe on Sketchup, so I have the option to make this a 2-pirate background possibly, if that's a good idea.

And I'm using this vaguely as my reference:

Feedback is welcome.
Phillite, Emerald
[Sep 23, 2012 4:20:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
XEcastasy

Eca, I wish you were my art teacher...

Awww, thanks :). I'm always happy to help!

@Phil- I think it's a beautiful set up. I don't find it boring. I actually find it intriguing of what is going on inside from the warm yellow glow. It's simplistic and peaceful. I wouldn't go too crazy with extra items, just a few accents. I would spend more time in refining what you currently have. :)
Ecastasy of ... Cerulean

[Sep 23, 2012 1:45:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CreepyKid

Well I see a lot of other people showing off what they have done so far so I figure I will do the same.

I still have a lot of smaller details to add, probably a couple of torches here and there, and Im gunna fix some of the lighting, the gold, and I am still tweaking the reflection in the water. But this is what I have so far.

Its a treasure cove :)

Would love critiques or comments if you have any so far :) Keep in mind its not finished though please

Edit:

Kipper on Emerald
[Edit 2 times, last edit by CreepyKid at Sep 24, 2012 2:16:38 AM]
[Sep 23, 2012 4:01:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link]  Go to top 
Clotho
OceanMaster

Dearest artistas,

Here's a reminder of the new format requested for the filenames on YPPedia:
monthly_yourname_title_the_way_you_want_to_appear_in_game.png

All in lower-case and put underscores between all the separate words in the title (YPPedia will change the first m into M - don't worry about this). So, if I want my portrait background to appear as Clotho's Tangled Thread, I would use:
monthly_clotho_tangled_thread.png

Hilando las hebras de la vida pirata...

[Sep 23, 2012 6:49:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
N_o_v_a

I love the idea, Kipper. Quintessentially piratey - big old pile of gold. How many pirates is this for? If it's for more than two pirates, it would be great if the pirates were standing on a bit of gold themselves.

Can't wait to see how it pans out!
Phillite, Emerald
[Sep 24, 2012 5:37:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
jennygalaxy

@ Kipper
That looks just like the cave with the treasure in Pirates of the Caribbean :D
Jennygalaxy, formally Cobalt, now Meridian Ocean.
[Sep 24, 2012 5:55:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    jennylikesgalaxy [Link]  Go to top 
N_o_v_a

Hey guys, I think I'm pretty much done with my background pending any changes from critique. I do wonder if the left side of the portrait is feeling a bit empty, and if all the lighting is working. Anyway, constructive comments are welcome.

[ignore the poorer quality in the version with the pirate - the cutout took up extra colours]

Also, if anyone is looking for textures for their backgrounds, I've found that Lost & Taken and deviantart's AGF81 are great free resources. And both fall under creative commons 3.0! I hope these are useful to someone. I find subtle textures can really being background to life.
Phillite, Emerald
[Sep 25, 2012 3:55:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Eggy_Pwns

@Phil

I almost like the first one better, just because it was first.
So pretty.

Yeah, the left side seems empty, especially since you have a stove in the room now.

My suggestion?
Rum! Either on the balcony itself of sort of dangling from the ceiling.
In a mesh net.

You could also use coconuts or something else that's round inside a net. It'd be pretty.

Maybe bottles so they can reflect light all prettiful and such?
Dresde of Emerald
Formerly Egyptia of Sage and before that, Hunter

My Avatar Shoppe
[Sep 25, 2012 6:36:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
SaviourS

I hope it doesn't get deleted this time xD Apologies if I did something wrong.

I added some minor things and I'm pleased with it, not too sure I'd change anything else or it'll be cluttered:

With pirate:

Saviour, Meridian
[Sep 25, 2012 6:37:06 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jackingg

Phil, I'd love to see what it looks like darker with less light source dominance. I agree that hanging jugs or nets with fruit would look awesome.
Ivytheblade

Not intended for those with weak constitutions

Now officially dating half your Parley Trolls.
[Sep 25, 2012 7:19:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
x_starfire_x

Wow, everyone's off to such a quick start xD

@ Kipper - Pretty!! I think fireflies in the dark background would be a nice touch :D

@ Phillite - huge improvement with the lighting! Like this one a lot better :P I was thinking of a vase in the left corner? or a potted plant :O
Angelira [Ceru] & Vespera [Em]

Avatar by Yumisa, Kurenai, Seapint, Ivy and Daeva!

~Art Gallery~ ~Website~

Very much alive on forums <3 ;)
[Sep 25, 2012 10:38:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://angelira.deviantart.com [Link]  Go to top 
Yngve6

@ Phil: I like it, but I think it could use a bit more contrast. I think making the palm trees darker and add some highlights as if there was some light falling on it from the window. That would look good and give it more depth.
On the left I would add something on the ground. Potted plant would be nice indeed.

@Kipper: Wow. I love your style. That cave looks great. The only concern I have is the front of the picture. How does it look with the pirates in? Do they have a steady ground to stand on?

@Saviour: I like it. What did you make that with? that light flare reminds me of povray.
I think you should add some sort of ground for the pirate though. Right now they would be floating in space.
Inghild on Meridian
Yngve on Emerald
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Yngve6 at Sep 25, 2012 12:24:19 PM]
[Sep 25, 2012 12:17:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jongy5

Floating is fun!

-Any musical idea's anyone? I'm aiming for another expansive.

[Sep 25, 2012 12:31:41 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
SaviourS

@Inghild Thank you! I edited mostly with Gimp, and I was going for the whole floating in space thing, don't think it's been done before so might aswell risk it :)
Saviour, Meridian
[Sep 25, 2012 1:01:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jongy5

A planterium of philharmonia.

*The pirates stand on the second level inside a circular planetarium.
*the bookshelves are visible on the first floor lining the wall below
*the ceiling will have a star chart that forms musical instruments

Does the perspective look right for all the lines?

[Sep 25, 2012 1:42:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Yngve6

I think the perspective is alright (I'm not an expert though).
The lines in the middle of the balustrade isn't centered though.
Inghild on Meridian
Yngve on Emerald
[Sep 25, 2012 2:37:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Eggy_Pwns

@Music~
The left side lines all end slightly higher up than the right side.
Either that, or my laptop is askew. Pretty sure it's the lines though. xD

Can't wait to see it.
Dresde of Emerald
Formerly Egyptia of Sage and before that, Hunter

My Avatar Shoppe
[Sep 25, 2012 3:18:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jongy5

Thanks for all the tips- its just a rough sketch. I'll do some more exacting calculations to meet these keen eyes ;P.

I'm not sure if I want to do the marble/stone balustrade on the rail or some wood paneling.

[Sep 25, 2012 3:29:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
N_o_v_a

My suggestion?
Rum! Either on the balcony itself of sort of dangling from the ceiling.
In a mesh net.

You could also use coconuts or something else that's round inside a net. It'd be pretty.

Is this a thing? It sounds interesting but I don't think I've seen rum hanging in nets before. Do you know of a photo reference I could look for? In the meantime I'm going to look at adding a potted plant or vase of some sort. Although all the greenery on one side might look funny. Time to experiment.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

@Musi
So far I can't tell much about the structure in its current state, but seeing as the room is circular, keep in mind the rails should form an ellipses (cut off at the sides the way you framed it) rather than the football-type shape that it appears to be now.

I've drawn over your images, I hope you don't mind:

Also, it doesn't hurt to use a free program like Sketchup to get the core of your perspective solid before venturing further, and knowing your perspective is spot on my referencing a renering allows you to add other details with reasonable confidence. I did a quick mockup for you and this is what I got.

So if you did something like that for yourself, I think the visual impact of the dome would be quite great.
Phillite, Emerald
[Sep 26, 2012 1:36:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 158   Pages: 6   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2014 Three Rings Design, Inc. All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates