• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 71
Posts: 71   Pages: 3   [ First Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 11852 times and has 70 replies Next Thread
knightlord87

Increase the population, dust off the Grand Frigate, join the movement! Reply to this Post

I, along with with a couple other Greeters, took it as odd that there we more greeters than greenies, and that 5 years ago, when I started this game on a now deleted account, there were 30 other greenies on the dock, and 10 greeters there to greet them. We had a meeting on the Meridian Ocean, and talked it over. One of us had the idea of a Youtube partnership and on that youtube account we plan to load videos and slideshows, and on my friends Youtube account, with over 1 million views and 5k subscriders, he would post an ad video directing everyone to our ads. Together, we can bring back the days of glory. Tell your friends about this game, tell your clans on Runescape, tell your groups on WoW, tell your viewers on Youtube, that this is the best game in the world. If we all work together, we can succeed. We can dust off the Grand Frigates, we can fill SMHs in less than an hour, we can have the old 1000 pirate flags. We can. Post support, and keep this thread alive.
Disregard haters, and remain adorable!
----------------------------------------
Danoth - Meridian and Emerald Oceans

"Why do ye speak in such an odd manner, lad? Ye be on me vessel, so ye best be talkin' like ye be on a ship." - Danoth, basically whenever people question his pirate talk.
[Aug 8, 2012 4:50:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Devoinmoore

Re: Increase the population, dust off the Grand Frigate, join the movement! Reply to this Post

Ok. Here's the deal.

The plan is as follows...
We've created a YouTube Account.. It's called Revive YPP (I suggested YPProductions, but they said no.) It will host advertisement/videos/updates/information about the game. We know from hundreds of videos that OOO doesn't tend to care, as long as your not talking bad about it. But the law does say you can't make profit off it... Than again, this is non-profit.

Through the YouTube Partners program, you make around $2.5 per thousand views, to $10. The money from the account would be separated between YPP projects, such as posting more ads up on other sites, and in game stuff too, such as buying out doubloons to sell cheaply for people (fixing an inflated economy will help,) and the PoE would go to greeter pillages and other stuff.

No matter where the money goes, it will be YPP related. Not one dime will be pocketed, as mentioned, non-profit. This project is meant to return the age of growth to the game.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why? Here's the reason. YPP's population have either played since the golden days, or they have played once or twice long ago. Real new players are hard to find because the game is hard to find.

There is no advertisement for Puzzle Pirates.. The fact that a new player found the game is astonishing. You put out good ads, and get more money... for MORE ads... than your find more people will discover the game.

Moral of the story... How does a game grow when only the players know about it, and it's not being shown to the populations outside the game?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Next issue though...

I've been a Senior Officer for... awhile now. I know a lot about crew members, and how to keep them. To keep the new ones, one needs an active crew.

If you get 5 new members, they will stay or leave depending. If your crew is slow, and never pillages, than your lose those members. But if your crew is active, and always have a pillage for them, they will have fun and stay.

What does this have to do with it? I'll tell you what. The PoE from the doubloons bought with that part of the money, will go to hosting greeter pillages and other events.

Lets look at tournaments. If the prize pool is 1000 PoE, you will still have Ultimates and Legendarys joining in. New peoples can try to play, but they will lose (not healthy to keeping members.) This would be ok, if it was just stupid going up against an Ult, but it's not. Either you go up against one, or you don't play. The fun things like tournaments are infested by strong, experienced players, leaving not a drop of water (events and such) for greenies.

There is only pillaging for greenies, which stops being healthy once they get tired of it. We would host Able-Proficient only tournaments, on the puzzle's respective free day (This would open new stuff to new players that only odd members successfully could do before, as well as put prize money in the new players pockets). This is so (mostly) only new players can enter them. And other stuff for new players that they won't be able to do otherwise.

This will help take the new players from what is an active room (small, limited, and gets old) and places them in a full, large, and active environment, where they have a larger range of activities that otherwise wouldn't be open to them until much later on (assuming they lasted 'much later on'.)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How can YOU help?

Easy. Watch the videos, and if you have a YouTube channel, link them. If you have a Facebook, twitter, or just a Forum you get on alot... School, Work, Families and Friends, show them it :)
*Notice... Do not show co-workers the channel doing work hours, suggest it to them to watch when they get home.

A good place to start is DeviantArt if you have one.

Spread the news around, and tell them to spread it around. If your a high up in a crew, and your friends join, invite them in and keep them active :)

The games population is declining, and only way to fix that is to show people it. No amount of updates, add-ons, or fixes will bring people in if people don't know about it.

Imagine The Avengers movie without advertisement or word-of-mouth... Despite how great it was, that would have been an empty theater...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note. Unless your from the OOO, don't come on to criticize this idea on this thread. It neither hurts the game, nor takes up anyone's time. If you have a pet-peeve with the idea, ask nicely as a question, because you might find your issue wasn't that much of an issue at all. And if it's not an issue like that, than send in a PM.

This thread is for questions about it, or people will ideas, and are willing to help out with good information.

Things we need...
- Free software for capturing what your doing on screen (we have one, but if there is better, why not?)
- Pirates willing to spread the news.
- Pirates willing to give helpful information about puzzles, and other in-game things.
- A notice from an OOO member or Admin saying we have permission to show clips of the game on a YouTube Partner's account, in case they ask for "evidence of permission."

Remember, this thread will be open as long as the Channel is, so that important information that should be shown on the channel, can be shown (examples being advice for puzzling, or information on a new event on an island we haven't been to.)

The channel is not ready yet. I will post about it when it is.

Thank You
-Abrum, SO of the Dark Revenge
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Devoinmoore at Aug 11, 2012 12:15:00 AM]
[Aug 11, 2012 12:10:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LJAmethyst

Re: Increase the population, dust off the Grand Frigate, join the movement! Reply to this Post

Do what you want, but personally, I think it is foolish to promote the game while glaring issues of greenie retention are still not addressed. Just look at what happened when we got put on Steam. We had an influx of mates for a couple of weeks there, with concomitant technical issues that were extremely aggravating, and our population continued to decline. No, I don't think that any amount of promotion is going to be the silver bullet for this game at this juncture. Sorry to rain on your parade.
Retired as of August 2015.
2 Timothy 4:7
[Aug 11, 2012 12:18:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.newadvent.org/bible/jon001.htm [Link]  Go to top 
Devoinmoore

Thats mentioned above. Players stop playing because it's not a greenie-friendly game anymore. Everything in it that was fun is took over by experienced players.

It's hard to have fun when pillaging is all you've got. Alot of money would go into getting PoE to host greenie friendly events, that they can enjoy.

Thats something I've learned from playing alot... If you want more players to stay, let them get involved. They can't if every event is infested with players they can't match against. We would invest in fun events for them so that they can get involved too.
[Aug 11, 2012 12:25:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
knightlord87

Devoinmoore, do I have to stay Forum manager? Or can you help a bit, beause your speeches do so much better?

"Why do ye speak in such an odd manner, lad? Ye be on me vessel, so ye best be talkin' like ye be on a ship." - Danoth, basically whenever people question his pirate talk.
[Aug 11, 2012 8:46:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
sarahspirate

So basically what your saying is...lets do YPP job for them??

I agree it needs more but its not the players job and im pretty sure that using ypps name to make money even if you are claiming its non profit is something you need to take up with the company before you do anything as your basically making money from thier name without consent...illegal!!
Sun says, "Bandana - 110 poe. Fine rum 65 poe. Smelling of mature cheese - priceless

Lillyliver.....planks outwit me!
[Aug 11, 2012 11:30:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
knightlord87

So basically what your saying is...lets do YPP job for them??

I agree it needs more but its not the players job and im pretty sure that using ypps name to make money even if you are claiming its non profit is something you need to take up with the company before you do anything as your basically making money from thier name without consent...illegal!!

Did you read the entire post or are you just that stupid? Near the end it says we're not doing anything until OOO people give a thumbs up.

[Aug 11, 2012 2:58:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
bailet

You are being a hater now. Not so adorable.

*Goes to find a trolling pony*
Clotho tells ye, "did you hide the skellies this time?"
OM MESSAGE: Complaining the on-duty OM will only result in another flurry of eggs being sent out into the YPP world. Go #TeamPurple!
Dalnoth's Favorite Pirate
[Aug 11, 2012 3:15:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
knightlord87

I'm not being a hater. I'm being a disliker.

[Aug 11, 2012 4:13:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
bailet

I'm not being a hater. I'm being a disliker.

Clotho tells ye, "did you hide the skellies this time?"
OM MESSAGE: Complaining the on-duty OM will only result in another flurry of eggs being sent out into the YPP world. Go #TeamPurple!
Dalnoth's Favorite Pirate
[Aug 11, 2012 6:06:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Devoinmoore

Lol wow... ummm..

Yes your still Forum Manager, but I'll help out, Knight.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, more appropiately put. The end of my post did infact say we need OOO's approval in case the issue gets brought up.

Lets get back on topic now.

It is the OOO's job... but it's a job they won't do. Might be lack of money, or lack of motivation, but it's not happening. I live by the philosophy that if the parent won't pick up the work, the child MUST, or he will suffer from the parent's actions (or lack of actions). Life isn't a fairy tale, where if the parent won't pick up the work, the child will still survive. In real-life, if the child doesn't pick up the work his parent won't, he lets the problem destroy him...

Granted in real life, the government will save them now.. But our topic isn't a fairy tale. If the OOO doesn't do something, than either we do something about it, or we sit back and shut up about the decreasing population.

Someone earlier said it won't help, to which I gave my reply. But I will also make the comment, if it fails, you can sit back while I stand tall knowing that at least I tried... Which is more then that you did for the game's situation.

That being said, I will try. And if I fail, at least I failed trying, instead of laying in the background like everyone else, complaining, watching, but never acting. No, I did try, at least I can say that much. Although this is under the assumption that it doesn't work.

A job must be done. Not "if they won't do it, than owell.." If the OOO won't do it (or can't do it) than is it bad that we would seek to pick up the weight they can't? The OOO made the game, but we all enjoy it. We play it everyday, it's success is important to us, why shouldn't we help?
[Aug 11, 2012 7:27:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Anyboady

I see it as the goal should be to retain players first. If you join a game for the first time and see that it takes ages to load a ship - you will run out of patience and leave. (Be honest)

Even old players leave - after sinking ships due to noobs.

In-game guides to earning PoE via trading and what not, may help.

Hate to say it, but the game needs more work, to enhance the speed of 1. Ships filling and 2. PoE earned in pillys.
There isn't even a in-game guide to teaming, yet it's so crucial!

Good idea, but the game is so far behind you in.
Basshunter on the Meridian ocean.

Fan of
Lady Gaga. Justin Bieber. Rebecca black. Katy Perry.
[Aug 12, 2012 7:02:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jackingg

It deeply saddens me to see people with such stupidity ruining the good name of MLP.

Applejack would be rolling in her grave right now.
Ivytheblade

Not intended for those with weak constitutions

Now officially dating half your Parley Trolls.
[Aug 12, 2012 9:43:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
darkseid

I think the reaosn I and many other people don't want to run greenie events is the lack of poe. you get less poe for inexperienced hands oin pillages which is rightly so but maybe they should lessen the discrephancy.

Really the only thing that I found greenies useful for is making up numbers on a war brig when I used to do them, ut relaly there will need o be a big increase in players before loading on eof those is worth my time. if OOO's announces a big advertising campaign I'll dust off my old pillaging ships and beat my head against the bulwark trying to explain that they should go on a duty station because I told them two and no the pink name dosen't mean I'm lenient and yes I will plank you if you don't get on a a station and start crackign on.

untill then I'll continue elitist sloop pillages BK's and SMH's (althoguh not on anythign bigger than a WB because honestly the money gianed isn't really much moire than a WB and much less than a cit run)

Also getting YPP's go ahead? they woill never give you the go ahead, you think blizzard gives the go ahead for people to make WoW videos? how about all the other games? have some guy individually go around and say yes to everything, just do it if you really want to. and don't wait for their approval.
Darkseid, Cerulean.
Fleet Officer of Under the Black Flag.
[Aug 12, 2012 1:54:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
knightlord87

It bugs me so much that you didn't proof read. Soooo many typos.

[Aug 12, 2012 2:20:43 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Belthazar451

That does not, however, negate the point he's making.

Maybe we should try a nice game of argument fallacy bingo.
[Aug 12, 2012 2:56:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
knightlord87

Well, I believe the benefits would indeed be long term. Just think about it. Greenie gain and retention equals more experienced people later. More skilled people means easier elite pillages (Fast PoE) and SMHs loading faster. That means more SMHs in the same amount of time. That means more PoE. It's long term, but benefits us all.

[Aug 12, 2012 6:28:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jackingg

More PoE without more PoE sinks is not really a good thing, particularly at this point in time. There's a lot of talk about this in some GD threads (with which a lack of enthusiasm I am disinclined to search for) to some great details. Greenie retention has some serious holes to be filled (once again, talked about to death in GD).

Advertising and recruiting is all well and good, but even 3 years ago when I joined it was no where near as difficult to retain me and other greenies. Like said earlier, without the retention Greenies just roll down your back into the shower drain and off to the ocean for a new game.
Ivytheblade

[Aug 13, 2012 12:30:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
darkseid

Meh I think pillaging is enough to retian greenies, it's what I loved. There just needs to be enoguh of a greenie influx to easily load the larger ships (experienced people will join it)

When I joined there was ONLY pillaging and you know what? me and many others plain old loved it. After a while of being in the game I even started to go on blockades (before pay was even unofficial and without any real political ties because, well, that would mean caring.) just because of my childlike love for bilging.

There already is the tools there for greenie retention it's just people do the other things.

I think a big advertising splurge and people just going out and loading their medium sized pillaging ships being quite lenient with the jobbers would help.

Still saying do whatever it is you want with that youtube chanel, just what do you want from us?
Darkseid, Cerulean.
[Aug 13, 2012 3:18:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Devoinmoore

Ideas, good tools, people with alot of information on puzzles and such for tutorials (which I have found effective based on several pirates I've met) and useful knowledge on different things for guides, seeing as the game tends to not include them.

As for the PoE sink. That involves every player, even new ones. As long as new players participate in a lost battles, or buy doubloons, a million new players isn't going to make it any less as effective (number exaggerated to get the idea across.)

You will never get a WB filled quickly if the member count doesn't go up. The videos information would include such things as "start out on greeter pillages or sloop/cutter pillage for a week" as well as information on what will happen if you don't station. We have no intentions of tossing greenies with no knowledge into the game. But going with your logic, we ALL started out as a greenie, not knowing what anything was.

You can't say it's stupid because greenies aren't as good as experienced members. OOO would like to disagree, as would every experienced member that used to be a greenie. They're be a little uninformed for a week or two, that's ok it.

As for getting the go ahead. This isn't a massive company. It's a small business that needs advertisement to survive.

How does this hurt you though? Are you giving up money, time, in-game resources? I like what Darkseid said. Even though he's not fond of it, at least he understands it's not going to hurt him or anyone else. It of course won't hurt the game in anyway.

As for the tournaments. I've played a long while, and I still can't beat a small tournament with only a 1000 prize pool because Ults and GMs get involved. You aren't giving up PoE for greenie tournaments, I am.

Now if OOO does't give the go ahead, we're just go for a normal account. But with a notice of permission we can do more. More advertisement elsewhere, more things in-game (which becomes more profitable for them because we're buying things in-game with some of the money) and better quality videos. But if they don't give us the go ahead, we're won't use the YouTube Partners program.
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Devoinmoore at Aug 13, 2012 9:28:56 AM]
[Aug 13, 2012 9:23:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
knightlord87

More PoE without more PoE sinks is not really a good thing, particularly at this point in time.

If more PoE is floating around, more is sent down the sink.

[Aug 13, 2012 9:40:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Devoinmoore

Maybe we should try a nice game of argument fallacy bingo.

Hehe, fallacy's. They invade this forum regularly.
[Aug 13, 2012 10:00:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
darkseid

You misunderstand I'm not not fond of it, I'm mostly indifferent.

My point is you don't need OOO's permission and they wont give you it just go try the youtube partnership thing.

Another point of mine is small ships are a terrible place for greenies, the fact they don't know what the're doing has a greater impact on the ship aswell as thme doing the whole hopping on and off randomly and such, you need bigger ships so that the size of pirates can absorb the detriment of the odd random thing.
Darkseid, Cerulean.
[Aug 13, 2012 10:00:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Devoinmoore

Another point of mine is small ships are a terrible place for greenies, the fact they don't know what the're doing has a greater impact on the ship aswell as thme doing the whole hopping on and off randomly and such, you need bigger ships so that the size of pirates can absorb the detriment of the odd random thing.

Sir... That is why this thread is here. For advice.

You are the first to finally give it. I understand your statement clearly. See I'm not as stubborn as I seem lol.

But that is why I posted this, hoping people would give us good tips like that to include, so we aren't misleading greenies. Thank you :)

My point is you don't need OOO's permission and they wont give you it just go try the youtube partnership thing.

And thats a point I've tried to make. OOO is a smaller company, unlike Blizzard, Bethesda, and EA. The OOO's aren't gonna fight free advertisement. And if they do, than we're cancel the Partner with YouTube and move to a normal account.

Although as mentioned, this will bring money to OOO, because some of the money from YouTube will go to buying doubloons for in-game greenie events.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Devoinmoore at Aug 13, 2012 10:14:52 AM]
[Aug 13, 2012 10:12:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jackingg

More PoE without more PoE sinks is not really a good thing, particularly at this point in time.

If more PoE is floating around, more is sent down the sink.

Not necessarily. Black Boxes are a good starting point, but once people give up or get what they want, they're void to whole sections of the community. The doub market is under constant stress and coil with gold boxes, simply because of people playing the doub market, consider that the largest poe sink in Green oceans is doubs, this effects all things.

There needs to be attractive poe sinks to all levels of wealth, to a low-poe pirate, it might be a trading post having ''lost boxes'' 1k for a random x x or x. The medium ground black boxes is a good level for poe sinking, and gold boxes would be good, if it were sinking poe. Doub transfers are swapping poe and not doing anything to get them out of the system, and are far more attractive than black boxes causing poe to stagnate. There needs to be high level poe sinks also. (Limited edition ships are a decent try at this, but only ship collectors are part of this market).

In a round-a-bout way, I guess I'm saying there needs to be more attractive pure poe sinks compared to poe swapping.

HOWEVER, all of this is COMPLETELY off topic barring it's semi significance to Green Ocean Greenies, and is probably best further discussed via PM or in one of the many ongoing GD discussion threads.
Ivytheblade

[Aug 13, 2012 10:12:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LunEnvoy

Turn ypp into an app. Thats about all that can be done for it. Facebook games murdered internet gaming.
LoLune

I'm still just the guard dog. I bite. They shoot.
[Aug 13, 2012 1:43:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Belthazar451

There is an app. Granted, it didn't load properly like the last six times I tried it, and it doesn't load on my iPad, but it's there. =)
[Aug 13, 2012 2:54:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LunEnvoy

I should get with the times.
LoLune

I'm still just the guard dog. I bite. They shoot.
[Aug 13, 2012 6:49:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Devoinmoore

Haha. I don't own an Ipad/pod so I'm further behind then you are.

They have it on Facebook. It wouldn't work for me though. I'll try again though. It'll be good to mention the app and Facebook (or just Facebook, if the App doesn't work) on the channel. People love their Facebook.
[Aug 13, 2012 9:55:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
joshuawhelan

I think increasing the population isn't exactly ideal. The game is now 'behind the times' and kids these days look straight towards the games with top graphics.

And somebody mentioned making the game as an app, but I also feel that would just suck. I personally hate typing on iPads and stuff, and the social aspect is one of the biggest parts of the game.
[Aug 13, 2012 11:23:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 71   Pages: 3   [ First Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates