• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 25
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 6015 times and has 24 replies Next Thread
Hor1zons

Why the game is not gaining players? Reply to this Post

Hi guys.

This is probably the wrong section and will be my only thread since I don't play the game.

Anyways back towards christmas I was playing this game, made a lot of achievements in the game and quit a while later since I had exams coming up, got a little bored ect. Anyway, I come back now because I have free time and I'd like to play again - my pirates are deleted. I don't see any reason why it should be deleted (except to free up name/memory space?) but look at other online games - my Runescape account is 9 years old and I have quit for months or even a year at a time - but I keep going back and spending money on the membership. If I lost the account, I'd quit the game for good.

I'm not going to start over and earn everything again since I think it's extremeley stupid my pirates were deleted. Obviously, there will be posts here like 'just earn it back, ya noob' but I am trying to make a point of here's an example of why old players are not returning.

Just a little thought.
[Aug 6, 2012 3:59:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LJAmethyst

Re: Why the game is not gaining players? Reply to this Post

It is unreasonable to expect that you can join a free-to-play game, pay nothing, go away for more than six weeks, and return to find all your stuff intact. Either you play the game and provide a population for others to see, or you pay to support the game (any small amount will count) and you're protected forever.

I really doubt that this has a negative effect on player retention. If someone wants to come back badly enough, they will just remake a pirate and accept their losses.

I think the real story of population decline can be found in various places, these things have been discussed ad nauseam in Game Design.
----------------------------------------
Retired as of August 2015.
Sic transit gloria mundi.
[Aug 6, 2012 5:51:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.newadvent.org/bible/jon001.htm [Link]  Go to top 
wrs1864b

It is unreasonable to expect that you can join a free-to-play game, pay nothing, go away for more than six weeks, and return to find all your stuff intact.

Is it? How many other games purge your free accounts?

I think the real story of population decline can be found in various places, these things have been discussed ad nauseam in Game Design.

I tend to agree with this, but I'm sure purging pirates doesn't help.
Algol can not assert the truth of all statements in this post and still be consistent.
[Aug 6, 2012 7:14:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hor1zons

PP is the only recent MMO that does so. I don't think you can find me a popular online game that deletes accounts after such a short while of inactivity.
[Aug 7, 2012 8:28:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wrs1864b

PP is the only recent MMO that does so. I don't think you can find me a popular online game that deletes accounts after such a short while of inactivity.

Yeah, I should have made clear that I was asking how many other games purge accounts because I really don't know. It wasn't sarcasm or anything.

For the records, OOO's Spiral Knights game currently never purges knights, although their lead dev (Nick) has said they might in the far future. In the thread that Nick posted that info, another player mentioned another game that purges free accounts.
Algol can not assert the truth of all statements in this post and still be consistent.
[Aug 7, 2012 8:39:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lilcracker

really not that hard to log on for a few seconds once every 2 or so months to make sure yer stuff is kept...hell if yer quick enough... might even be less than a second XD
Meridian - Minigun

Emerald - Nightbear
[Aug 7, 2012 11:00:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
xelto

A couple of the ones I tried and gave up on sent me going-to-delete messages a while back. (I never checked to see if they followed up on it-- there was a reason I left them.) I think YPP does the warning message as well, but it's been too long for me to say that for certain. Also, note that at the moment they really only delete pirates who don't have a lot of experience and/or active badges. My wife has gone half a year at a time without logging on, and her pirates are still good. I'm not sure where the cutoff is, but they don't casually remove everyone who skips a couple months.

Important disclaimer: past actions are no guarantee of future actions, blah blah blah. They reserve the right to delete characters who haven't paid-- they just have chosen to not delete a whold bunch of them.
Gurndigarn on Emerald Ocean
"Oh, come on. You jobbed onto a ship called the Cursed Isle Raider and you expected *refined*?"
[Aug 7, 2012 11:35:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lordchicken9

I don't really use my email or check it so the warning messages don't do much for me >_< I've already los a bunch of alt accounts because I forgot about them xD but I think 6 weeks is not long enough to delete a pirate that's been activaly playing for years :/ it would be nice if there was a prolonged time for people with like, let's say sublime in a puzzle or something(not sure if there is as xelto said there might be) because 6 weeks >_< it is easy to log on if everything is going ok but what if yer area has a massive power outage for months or something else the makes it so you can't log on x_X
Chickenlord on Emerald

Helen Keller once said: The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched, they must be felt with the heart.
How would she know XD?

Captinary did the avatar :o with my recommandations on the
[Aug 7, 2012 5:58:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Devoinmoore

http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=185977

The game has no Advertisement. The fact that anyone finds it is amazing... Though it should be noted from experience that the only people who join the game now are those who played 5 - 8 years earlier. After seeing a dying game, they ditch out again..
[Aug 8, 2012 12:34:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
mytiny456

I mean I do see a problem with deleting pirates in that short amount of time. You have to admit that everyone takes breaks in YPP. There are simply things in the game that are frustrating. You know, stuff like lack of information diffusion across the board that just doesn't make it enjoyable for everyone, especially newer players. Sometimes older players forget how long it takes to learn the puzzles or actually earn poe more efficiently. In the case of older players, they take a break simply because they must. Either way, know that YPP is the kind of game that is special because people come back, usually on a whim. Imagine you are one of these players that just decide to come back to the game because of certain triggers. What do you encounter when your account is deleted? More frustration. Just some food for thought.
[Aug 8, 2012 1:26:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dirkabot

http://www.puzzlepirates.com/FAQs.xhtml

Will my pirates remain forever?

Unpaid accounts have their pirates deleted if they remain unused for a period of 6 consecutive weeks. Accounts that have purchased a subscription or doubloons from us are permanently safe from being purged.

12 dubloons is what, 2 dollars? That's half of what it costs to eat a normal lunch.

Of course I'd rather see accounts never getting deleted, but seriously, you have absolutely no reason to be mad if you can't even cough up that sum.

Also getting dubloons by doing any form of survey or the like counts as a purchase as well. So the "I couldn't buy dubloons four years ago" argument doesn't really hold.
[Aug 8, 2012 8:36:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
xelto

12 dubloons is what, 2 dollars? That's half of what it costs to eat a normal lunch.

It's $2.95.
"Oh, come on. You jobbed onto a ship called the Cursed Isle Raider and you expected *refined*?"
[Aug 8, 2012 10:47:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Devoinmoore

Dude....

Of course I'd rather see accounts never getting deleted, but seriously, you have absolutely no reason to be mad if you can't even cough up that sum.

Think for a minute... the majority of people playing the game are ages 10-18 (yes, people under 13 play the game)

It's not about not having that money... It's about spending it... This isn't like going to a store and handing them 3 dollars...

Do you expect they can purchase doubloons? It's not like going to a store... This requires online payments systems and bank accounts, longs numbers and passwords... It's very simple for adults who can do it right away. Not for a 10-18 year old teenager. I'm almost 20, and I still don't have Paypal.. Believe it or not, but because you can do it, doesn't mean everyone else can. The only way for the vast majority of players to purchase into with real money is through a parent.

I don't know if your familiar with parenthood... But most parents wouldn't pay a dime for they're teenage to buy 12 doubloons... especially if they see the game they're buying from.

You can't use the argument that it's only $2.95. The majority of the players don't have jobs, a bank account, or a paypal. And no parent is gonna pay $2.95 on a game they see as childish when they have house payments, food, bills, gas, and you to pay for.

Only the more mature population playing will pay money, and thats assuming they make enough in a week, because, again, they have house payments, food, bills, and gas to pay for, and that's assuming they don't have kids.

Your arguments like a rich man telling a poor mother "Well if your kids are starving, why don't you buy them something to eat. You have no right to complain that you can't spend $25 at a restaurant." You can spend $2.95 on the game, but not everyone has that... Most players won't for several years. For 10-18 year olds, you won't often find someone with Paypal.

Just because your privileged enough to have a paypal, and a bank account to waste money on this game (trust me, for 10-18 year old players, your consider privileged to have that) doesn't mean everyone else can. If you look at the game's demographics, your see that spending money on the game is a luxury they don't all have like you do.

This is unrelated to the thread. I was making a personal statement to the guy whose words are quoted above, because his statement annoyed me, as though he thinks all the 10-18 year old players are as privileged as him to have things you won't often find among the games main demographics.
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Devoinmoore at Aug 8, 2012 4:47:18 PM]
[Aug 8, 2012 4:41:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
xelto

I don't know if your familiar with parenthood... But most parents wouldn't pay a dime for they're teenage to buy 12 doubloons... especially if they see the game they're buying from.

Most parents will, however, buy those 12 doubloons if their kids hold three dollar bills out to them and say "Mom/Dad, I need you to use your credit card for me... here's the money for it..."

Or alternately, try "Mom/Dad, I want to buy something in an online game-- it runs 3/10/20 bucks. Do you have anything I can do to earn the money?"

The thought of their kids actually doing something responsible to get money warms the hearts of most parents.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by xelto at Aug 8, 2012 5:09:51 PM]
[Aug 8, 2012 5:07:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Notsizzly

Think for a minute... the majority of people playing the game are ages 10-18 (yes, people under 13 play the game)

Can you please show me, where did you find this fact that the majority of the players are 10-18 years of age? My personal experience is that the average player is 20 years old (and in another thread, where I asked if someone would know or remember if Three Rings had published this information at some point, another player replied that some time ago, the average age on dub oceans was 21 and on sub oceans 25).

I am not going to claim that my opinion is right, but. I've seen, heard and know a lot of parents who have and will spend real life money for their kids' games, whether it's purchasing dubs, a game itself, subscription...you get it. Surprisingly, there's also a lot of parents who do not know in depth about those games they're putting the money into - hopefully they do check though that they're appropriate.

You can't use the argument that it's only $2.95. The majority of the players don't have jobs, a bank account, or a paypal. And no parent is gonna pay $2.95 on a game they see as childish when they have house payments, food, bills, gas, and you to pay for.

Combine those two things I said above and I'd say majority of the gamers have ways to pay. What comes to the part of PP being childish...uuuuh, yeah. For blockading, for example, you need quite a lot more than a child is capable of.

Only the more mature population playing will pay money, and thats assuming they make enough in a week, because, again, they have house payments, food, bills, and gas to pay for, and that's assuming they don't have kids.

I'm not so sure if the older (by age) players are spending more than the younger ones... Even if you have kids, it's not necessarily saying you can't afford to pay, let's say 10 $ a month for a game. That's just one person's movie ticket and popcorn, you know.

Your arguments like a rich man telling a poor mother "Well if your kids are starving, why don't you buy them something to eat. You have no right to complain that you can't spend $25 at a restaurant." You can spend $2.95 on the game, but not everyone has that... Most players won't for several years. For 10-18 year olds, you won't often find someone with Paypal.

Just because your privileged enough to have a paypal, and a bank account to waste money on this game (trust me, for 10-18 year old players, your consider privileged to have that) doesn't mean everyone else can. If you look at the game's demographics, your see that spending money on the game is a luxury they don't all have like you do.

Err....eeerrrr. Okay, what are these demographics and where can I find them?

~ Sizzly of Emerald ~
[Aug 8, 2012 5:18:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ShoyuLite

Yet somehow these penniless kids get their parents to pay for a PS3/Xbox/Wii and their accompanying games, all which cost much more than $3. I know the economy is though, but it's not that bad.

As mentioned above, there has been stats in the past that have shown the average age to be 20+. And if this game is not getting any new pirates, then the current pirates are only getting older. I do not doubt there are a bunch of under 18 (even under 13) players out there, but a majority of the players are older than that.

I do know that OOO used to send out emails before deleting your account. Unless people are providing a junk email address, then really it's not that hard to keep up an account. What I do think would be nice is if somewhere as a greenie players were notified in game about the deletion policy as well as the availability of saving said pirate with only $3. If this happens already, then I blame the lack of reading comprehension.

Edit: spelling!
Soulchild on Malachite + Viridian = Meridian

Seriously, unicorns and dragons? How's a pirate monkey going to compete with the Wizarding World of Puzzle Pirates Mages?
[Edit 1 times, last edit by ShoyuLite at Aug 8, 2012 5:47:02 PM]
[Aug 8, 2012 5:45:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LJAmethyst

2009 Pirate Census Data indicates that 50% of pirates were age 19 or younger.
Retired as of August 2015.
Sic transit gloria mundi.
[Aug 8, 2012 6:15:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.newadvent.org/bible/jon001.htm [Link]  Go to top 
Jackingg

Kid ---> ask parent to go to store ---> ask to fill prepaid mastercard with x amount of money for game use ----> parent accompanies child to pay for it ---> profit.

No credit cards needed. I did that when I was 15 and my account has been safe ever since. Now that I'm 18, I get to cut out the parent part, however. xD.

It's not really that hard :3.
Ivytheblade

Not intended for those with weak constitutions

Now officially dating half your Parley Trolls.
[Aug 9, 2012 5:08:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wrs1864b

It's not really that hard :3.

It isn't really a question of it being hard. It is a question of whether OOO loses more players and RL money over the long run by purging accounts, or whether they would lose more RL money by not requiring people to pay a token fee.

Games are often impulse-buys. They see a game at a store, they have money on them, they blow their money on a game. Or, they see a game online, they click a *few* buttons and they play it. I must stress the "few" part. Cleaver has said that simply having to down load a game is too much effort for most people when they could play a web-based flash game instead. Once in the game, if something cool/desirable pops up, and they have money, they might buy it. Keeping people playing, even a few months a year, gives OOO a lot more chances to have people make in-game impulse buys.

The steps people have outlines for kids to pay are far too time consuming for the impulse-buy nature of games. You might not think it is too much, but OOO is not capturing a large section of the market because of it.

And, yes, log in a few seconds every month is too much effort. People rarely plan on retiring, they just get busy with something else and playing YPP gets pushed down the list of things to do until it is forgotten about. They aren't even thinking about YPP during those months they aren't playing and even if they were, they would have to update their client every time they tried to log in.

Again, what is YPP competing against? How many other games purge characters? (OOO's Spiral Knights doesn't.)
[Aug 9, 2012 8:14:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Notsizzly

We probably could argue for forever about how parents, if they do, spend money on their kids' games and gaming. I don't know if it's really useful - if we take a look at what LJ posted, then I guess we can fairly say that the majority of the people playing this game (2009) were older than 18. Like it was pointed out, if someone says we haven't gained new players then the players are the same from 2009 and even older now.

I think the OP suggested that the lack of new players is because of purging the pirates. If there is some data announced by Three Rings somewhere, point us there so we can actually have proof instead of guessing.

Aaand. Here's a suggestion: have a button in the Ye-panel, if the account you're logged on, has not been used to purchase any dubs/subs yet. (I thought about having a message appearing in the Ahoy-tab every time you log on but that would just be way too annoying. I also thought about other places and ways and couldn't come up with something where you could find it rather easily, and where it would be always reminding you, until you secured your account. Too tired to really give pros and cons now.)
~ Sizzly of Emerald ~
[Aug 9, 2012 12:36:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jezzebel

Speaking as a parent, I've subscribed my child to the Golden Doubloon club back on Crimson, and I'd sub her here if she wanted to play. She prefers Whirled, however, and she buys premium currency there with her own allowance.

Furthermore, you can buy an Ult Game Card with cash and use that for dubs. You don't need PayPal or a credit card for that.
Redjenny, Now merged with Health Nutz
Thebloggess wrote: 
A hug is like a strangle you haven't finished yet!

[Aug 10, 2012 10:04:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lordchicken9

Yet somehow these penniless kids get their parents to pay for a PS3/Xbox/Wii and their accompanying games, all which cost much more than $3. I know the economy is though, but it's not that bad.

It's because they have it in their brain that they MUST have it, they have been marketed DX PP could get kids to get their parents to pay more if they could get the kids' attention...

Also, the parents fold too easily >_>
Chickenlord on Emerald

Helen Keller once said: The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched, they must be felt with the heart.
How would she know XD?

Captinary did the avatar :o with my recommandations on the
[Aug 11, 2012 6:00:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Devoinmoore

http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=186058

Related topic
[Aug 11, 2012 7:33:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
darkseid

Dude....

It's not about not having that money... It's about spending it... This isn't like going to a store and handing them 3 dollars...

Do you expect they can purchase doubloons? It's not like going to a store... This requires online payments systems and bank accounts, longs numbers and passwords... It's very simple for adults who can do it right away. Not for a 10-18 year old teenager. I'm almost 20, and I still don't have Paypal.. Believe it or not, but because you can do it, doesn't mean everyone else can. The only way for the vast majority of players to purchase into with real money is through a parent.

This is unrelated to the thread. I was making a personal statement to the guy whose words are quoted above, because his statement annoyed me, as though he thinks all the 10-18 year old players are as privileged as him to have things you won't often find among the games main demographics.

Just a few things. as a 21 year old please don't ever say that this is how my age group on average acts, that is honestly a mess.

also I got ym firts subscriptio at 13, by my mum using her visa.

a paypal is not hard to ste up, stop being lazy.

I got my first bank account at 17 and was in full time work not long afterwards.
Shockingly enough I'm not the only 17 year old that's found themselves in full time work.

you can go to a store and buy crads for it in america I think, target or something (I don't live in america so I'll just work on memory(I will say that you could check these facts on the YPPedia page and find I'm probably right))

I also lived on my own at 18, I still found the money to maintain an xbox live subscription buy a few games and have a subscription to one or two other games (sometimes more expensive than this)

You can honestly squeeze in the small cost of a subscription on any budget as your treat, you'll find you do squander a bit of money on something somewhere along the line that you can squeeze out.

for people not having their parents pay for it, it's their parents decision either convince them to let you or give up.

I've known many people that get their parents to pay for subscriptions.

Also long numbers? what is wrong with you! it's 13 numbers along the front of the card what sort of mentally impaired moron can't figure out how to type 13 numbers but can still find a game called PUZZLE pirates. filling out card details is honestly incredibly easy and should be able to be done by anyone over the age of 10.

Basically in summary of all this... think before you speak.
Darkseid, Cerulean.
Senior Officer of Under the Black Flag.
[Aug 12, 2012 1:45:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jazzsassy

The simple fact is that purging accounts is a punishment for not spending money on the game. Sega has carried that even further with the gold boxes and releasing an LE ship every single month now. The idea is to get people to spend money, and there is nothing wrong with that idea. Their failure is in alienating and driving away the non-paying players, which means fewer people playing, which means fewer people wanting to play. A few years ago there was a nice balance, but its all about money now, and the game will continue to decline until a balance can be struck again so as to get and keep people playing, whether they pay or not.
[Sep 23, 2012 8:55:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates