• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 9
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 3220 times and has 8 replies Next Thread
LJAmethyst

The Eightycats interview: fanatical fans and flying sheep? Reply to this Post

Massively by Joystiq: The Game Archaeologist interviews Puzzle Pirates' Matt Jensen

It has also practically become tradition that every new member of the dev team mistakenly abuses his or her admin powers at some point. I personally stole a player's pet crab.
Bungleton sailed off with someone's ship. Greenbones was kind enough to pay the rent on someone's shop. Forculus accidentally gave out a black monkey (black monkeys having been unofficially declared "too awesome" to be allowed in the game). We wear Santa hats in the middle of summer, wander into places we shouldn't be, and generally get ourselves reported to support for hacking.

----------------------------------------
Retired as of August 2015.
2 Timothy 4:7
[Edit 1 times, last edit by LJAmethyst at Jul 24, 2012 4:20:25 PM]
[Jul 24, 2012 4:18:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.newadvent.org/bible/jon001.htm [Link]  Go to top 
xelto

Re: The Eightycats interview: fanatical fans and flying sheep? Reply to this Post

From the interview:

The players feel a strong sense of ownership over the game, and long-term players often recall the golden age of the game before we added poker or pets or an assortment of other changes. We are constantly trying to make improvements, but as you will notice whenever Facebook changes its interface, people love change. Even making small cosmetic changes can have that "New Coke" effect. You are tinkering with something that a player has become accustomed to and may even love, and so it can be understandable when he takes to the forums to describe in exact volume how much a recent change made him vomit into his waste basket.

This can tie our hands in some cases. Even if we can think of better ways something can be done, it might be unfair or confusing to actually make the change because that is the way it has always worked.

So, what do you all think that they could have done better, and should they do it despite the problems that might arise?

Me, I think that chest division-- primarily, vessel owner's chests-- are high on the "could have been done better". And do I think they should fix it anyway? Definitely.
Gurndigarn on Emerald Ocean
"Oh, come on. You jobbed onto a ship called the Cursed Isle Raider and you expected *refined*?"
[Jul 24, 2012 6:06:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wrs1864b

Re: The Eightycats interview: fanatical fans and flying sheep? Reply to this Post

This can tie our hands in some cases. Even if we can think of better ways something can be done, it might be unfair or confusing to actually make the change because that is the way it has always worked.

This is not a new design goal. OOO has been extremely reluctant to change anything, even when it is still on ice. Things like the chest division in SHM shafting carpers is a big example. That took years of complaining and many people spending a lot of time to document the problem before OOO did anything. The labor shortages that crippled the sub ocean for a couple years after the introduction of SMH/BK/flotillas is another. Even skellies show just how reluctant OOO is to change obviously broken things. For a year or more, skellies just didn't fill on several oceans, they were more often killed by reboots than players.. When OOO finally got around to adding the "bored monster" feature, did they choose the 10 minute delay that a player first suggested? No, they set it at 25 and said they would observe and change it if needed. It took 2 years for OOO to finally set it down to 10 minutes, only to find it wasn't enough, so it took another year and a half to drop it to 5 minutes. It still is too slow.

This kind of aversion to change is self reinforcing. People who don't mind nothing new happening, often stick around and complain when even the simplest things change. People who have gotten frustrated with OOO not fixing things and the lack of anything new have generally left. Now, OOO can't change even trivial things without lots of flames, and yet the population continues to decline because people are giving up.

People who yell on the forums when there are changes isn't limited to old games, like YPP. OOO's spiral knights gets long threads about "zomg! if you don't change it back, I'm quiting!", but OOO has pushed ahead with changing the game quite dramatically. Personally, I think most of these kinds of complaints about quiting if there are changes are bluffs. People who don't like any changes aren't the type of people who will take the dramatic change of switching games. The constant drain of people who are frustrated/bored, I suspect is much more significant. Those people, however, aren't around to post to the forums anymore.
Algol can not assert the truth of all statements in this post and still be consistent.
[Jul 24, 2012 6:51:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
srachit

Lets talk about the flying sheep in that article, anyone found the flying sheep? :O
Raaz on Emerald
Pandaraaz on Meridian
[Jul 24, 2012 9:21:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
randomact

Patching puzzle.
Loathe/Forever.

Cremate tells ye, "i think i just broke my hymen"
[Jul 24, 2012 9:54:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
athersgeo

Lets talk about the flying sheep in that article, anyone found the flying sheep? :O

Yup - I even commented on it in the patching puzzle thread. Don't know if I was the first to spot or just the first to comment...
[Jul 25, 2012 4:42:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Donsmythe

Yup - I even commented on it in the patching puzzle thread. Don't know if I was the first to spot or just the first to comment...

It even bleats as it flies by. Nice touch.
[Jul 25, 2012 1:51:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://don.yacktman.org/blog/    yackd [Link]  Go to top 
OtherJenny

It even bleats as it flies by. Nice touch.

Could we please have a screen shot or slowed down video of this flying sheep!

Pauseypaul
UK based so on GMT Time, but Happy to log on @ Silly O Clock for Trades.
Happy to FREE chart Polite Pirates
[Jul 26, 2012 8:31:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Belthazar451

I know someone named Matt Jensen, thought we haven't spoken in a long long while. Maybe I should hunt him down and ask him how many cats he owns...
[Jul 28, 2012 10:57:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates