• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 13
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 2903 times and has 12 replies Next Thread
xelto

Botting in CI Reply to this Post

OK, I have a question I'm hoping people have an answer for. I had a situation today were we had a botter in CI. After we hit the island, he straightlined through two fights and had two forages with no chests. Despite that, he was neither asleep nor disconnected.

Is there anything that can be done in this case? I mean, it's obvious to the crew that he's botting, otherwise he would be asleep or doing something. But how do you get sufficient evidence for the OMs? It's not like atlantis, where you arrive at port, do the wait three minutes and set sail routine. He's not going to get back on station automatically. And just leaving him alone hurts the rest of the ship.

Any thoughts?
----------------------------------------
Gurndigarn on Emerald Ocean
"Oh, come on. You jobbed onto a ship called the Cursed Isle Raider and you expected *refined*?"
[Jul 23, 2012 7:14:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Franklincain

Re: Botting in CI Reply to this Post

Plank him, and have all the officers aboard mute him (so he cannot re-job). That will prevent him from messing over any more of your voyages, but won't necessarily help with getting him banned for botting. For the latter, there's always the complain function.

Hope this helps. Good luck. ;-)
Franklin W. Cain (Pirate FranklinCain on Meridian and other Oceans)
[Jul 23, 2012 7:24:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
xelto

Plank him, and have all the officers aboard mute him (so he cannot re-job). That will prevent him from messing over any more of your voyages, but won't necessarily help with getting him banned for botting. For the latter, there's always the complain function.

Well, I did that. I'm curious/concerned, though, about how good a /complain is. Does it carry enough evidence that the player was botting or not, and if not, is there any better approach?
"Oh, come on. You jobbed onto a ship called the Cursed Isle Raider and you expected *refined*?"
[Jul 23, 2012 10:13:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Randomite

Well, I did that. I'm curious/concerned, though, about how good a /complain is. Does it carry enough evidence that the player was botting or not, and if not, is there any better approach?

I think if everyone who encounters a botter makes a /complaint then they'll eventually get caught, but I don't think 1 complaint is really strong enough.
Disengaged.

Dexade tells ye, "i m not talking to you and dont want your cookies!"
[Jul 24, 2012 4:36:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Notsizzly

The social approach would work better if ALL of the officers of the crew muted him - if you have a crew of say, 40 officer+ and 5 of them have the botter muted, then your crew still has 35 'vulnerable' to the botter.

If you take this even further, why not tell your flaggies and hearties? But don't go around the ocean and inn announcing that, though. Should it happen that the guy was not botting after all (yeah, not saying the guy in the OP wasn't) and you run around all places claiming he was, then the accused pirate might have grounds to complain you for harassment. Which is not of course, what someone wants.

Besides, there is always issues with naming and shaming. For example, how many threads have we seen in the parleys of someone popping up and listing pirates who are ban evading, botting, buying poe and whatnot, even though those tend to get deleted by Three Rings. And why shouldn't they? You're in the risk of pulling innocent pirates into that, just because you THINK someone is guilty of said crimes.

I am not saying there isn't any power behind sharing your suspicions with your crew or hearties - but if nobody really complains the pirate, then he might just continue botting. Or, if he finds out that nobody is jobbing him anymore, he'll just make a new character and the same problem repeats.

Complaining a pirate if you really feel it's necessary is probably the best tool that we have at the moment. I believe Three Rings has ways to determine bots, to some extend.

What I would like to hear, is Three Rings confirming us, that in general, complaints do work. No, not any individual pirate's case file needs to be opened and shared with us (and they wouldn't anyway). Just time to time, they'd remind us that complaints are taken seriously, they do ban pirates and uh...so on.

Obviously, they can't tell us too much details about for example, bot-detecting methods (that would be just saying 'oh sure, do break in, here's a key to make it easier') but some kind of information that it works and that they're aware.

Although. A banned botter apparently has ways to ban evade. Guess anything that can be done against this is just keep complaining.
~ Sizzly of Emerald ~
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Notsizzly at Jul 24, 2012 5:17:29 AM]
[Jul 24, 2012 5:14:24 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dexla

By no means am I defending the person, but could he have just been a alt/jerk who has something against you or your crew?

Just because he didn't zzz out, doesn't mean he was botting, does it? He could have been sitting there, shaking his mouse to stay awake, not puzzling, and laughing his head off because he hadn't been planked.
Dexla d'Midnight
[Jul 25, 2012 9:03:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
xelto

By no means am I defending the person, but could he have just been a alt/jerk who has something against you or your crew?

My crew is me. So, possible but very unlikely.

Just because he didn't zzz out, doesn't mean he was botting, does it? He could have been sitting there, shaking his mouse to stay awake, not puzzling, and laughing his head off because he hadn't been planked.

That's why I can't say proof-positive that he was botting. But, to put it in legal terms, while there may or may not have been enough evidence for a conviction, there was more than enough evidence to get it to court. And why I made this thread in the first place: I'm trying to figure out how to get enough evidence to send to the OMs in cases like this.
[Jul 26, 2012 4:58:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Momma_Wolf

It's my impression that simply typing /complain piratename sends quite a bit of info to the OMs. Doing so - consistently - with people like this can only improve the game.
Mommawolf, lurking on most oceans
Captain, Blackwolf Marauders of Midnight, now Cerulean
Queen, Victory Raiders of Midnight, now Cerulean

cmdrzoom said:

Anyone may demand answers of the gods.
Getting them is another matter.

[Jul 26, 2012 6:27:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Furarri

What station was he on and what was his duty report?

.... submarines are out!
Slimbottom won't like this at all.

Awesome avatar by Terrify! Thanks!
[Jul 26, 2012 4:41:43 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
xelto

Bilge. Wasn't paying close attention to the DR, but IIRC, excellent with a fair spread of tokens, possibly a few more thrall tokens than the others. Nothing that would scream "botter", but nothing that would indicate he wasn't one, either.
[Jul 26, 2012 4:53:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
srachit

Bilge. Wasn't paying close attention to the DR, but IIRC, excellent with a fair spread of tokens, possibly a few more thrall tokens than the others. Nothing that would scream "botter", but nothing that would indicate he wasn't one, either.

Someone correct me if i'm wrong here, but I think if he was botting his tokens would be almost 0 maybe 1-2 but thats it.
Raaz on Emerald
Pandaraaz on Meridian
[Aug 9, 2012 1:45:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
randomact

You're wrong. Anyone playing the puzzle can get plenty of accidental tokens. I've tried a couple of times to keep incredible bilge for a segment in Atlantis and get no tokens and haven't been successful.
Loathe/Forever.

Cremate tells ye, "i think i just broke my hymen"
[Aug 9, 2012 2:00:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jackingg

Even on carpentry I get accidental tokens.
Ivytheblade

Not intended for those with weak constitutions

Now officially dating half your Parley Trolls.
[Aug 9, 2012 5:42:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates