• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 10
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 2022 times and has 9 replies Next Thread
nrobd

Colored Fams for Carousers! Reply to this Post

I thought it might just be me, but after asking around about the lack of carousing tournaments with colored familiars, i found there is a significant need for them immediately. I did notice that there are colored familiars for pirating skills about once a week, so why carousers left out of the picture?

Fellow swordfighters, rumblers, drinkers, and treasure droppers...please unite to help persuade Ocean Masters to make more colored familiars for us carousers!
----------------------------------------
Baab on Emerald
[Jul 18, 2012 5:03:43 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Monobattle

Re: Colored Fams for Carousers! Reply to this Post

Suggestions for settings

SF: Single Elim Sticks

Rumble: Single Elim Fish

TD: 2 Minute 2/3 Double Elim Holes

Drinking: 1000/6 cursed challace
[Jul 18, 2012 5:07:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
nrobd

OR....

Swordfighting: Anything but sticks

Rumble: Anything but boxing

TD: Turbo 2/3 Single (Maybe holes)

Drinking: 2000/2500 all use horn
Baab on Emerald
[Jul 18, 2012 5:10:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
superstarsam

The fact that there are monthly coloured familiar competitions is outweighed by the fact that there's an extremely large potential amount of combinations. A single puzzle competition for puzzle X will, in fact, occur quite infrequently, however with tournaments there are only 4 possible 'combinations', so to speak: swordfighting, drinking, TD and rumble. Therefore if such tournaments were to occur on a schedule equal to or even half as regularly as their respective single puzzle competitions, they would outweigh them almost immediately.

In 2011 there was a coloured familiar tournament every 2 weeks and traditionally there are coloured familiars given out for carousing during December and during any potential OCL tournaments. IMO this more than makes up for any imbalance (given the fact that - to use myself as an example - I am highly unlikely (on account of the sheer number of puzzle combinations) to see more than 1 coloured familiar sailing competition in a year).

Just a thought from the opposite side of your argument.
Geologist - now exclusively Obsidian Emerald flavoured
[Jul 18, 2012 5:43:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
warp11

The lack of colored carousing tournaments is made up by the ability to wager with your fellow carousers. Since this isn't possible in piracy puzzles (well it sort of is but it's not a game feature so let's ignore that) the high end reward is injected through competitions instead.
Dahl "I have higher moral standards" gren
[Jul 18, 2012 10:44:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
nrobd

I think it is irrelevant that you can wager in carousing because without money you are unable to wager. Therefore we need more competitions to give us the ability to win money/familiars. But on the other hand, to Geologist, i do agree partially but i cannot remember the last time there was any carousing tournament with a colored familiar....and even with all the combinations to piracy skills, that still doesn't affect the fact that you are still getting a buttload of colored familiars to try at. Us carousers are left with basically no chances.
Baab on Emerald
[Edit 2 times, last edit by nrobd at Jul 19, 2012 6:00:20 PM]
[Jul 19, 2012 5:57:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
superstarsam

In 2011 (event thread here), there were 28 coloured familiars given out for carousing, with each puzzle getting 7. Comparing to an individual piracy/crafting puzzle (once again I'm going to give the example of sailing) I doubt there have been any more than 10 coloured familiars given out since competitions were introduced in summer 2008.

I think the issue is that you're making the distinction of 'us carousers' and 'you puzzlers'. There are three times as many competition puzzles as tournament puzzles, so there actually ought to be an imbalance in favour of competition puzzles. However, looking at each puzzle individually (without grouping them into a group of 4 and a group of 12/soon to be 13), there have been more familiars given out per carousing puzzle than per competition puzzle - which, of course, is wrong.

Of course, it would have been more ideal if the 28 familiars given out in 2011 were spread out a little more as you're seeing a drought now, but 2011 tipped the scale so dramatically that I think such a drought is justified.
Geologist - now exclusively Obsidian Emerald flavoured
[Edit 1 times, last edit by superstarsam at Jul 19, 2012 7:49:19 PM]
[Jul 19, 2012 6:34:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Perenoel1

They may also be not as inclined to have have them for the same reason we never see a blacksmithing competition by itself, too many bots/hacks. Also, if they added wagers to the other puzzles, i would probably play this game far too much.
Tzz Made of Fail on Midnight
Tzz's Ultimate puzzle Guide
[Jul 26, 2012 11:31:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hurtboss4

The lack of colored carousing tournaments is made up by the ability to wager with your fellow carousers. Since this isn't possible in piracy puzzles (well it sort of is but it's not a game feature so let's ignore that) the high end reward is injected through competitions instead.

This is true. What Geo said is also true, although to an extent - we haven't seen an OCL for anything but SFing in the last 2 years, I think?

They may also be not as inclined to have have them for the same reason we never see a blacksmithing competition by itself, too many bots/hacks. Also, if they added wagers to the other puzzles, i would probably play this game far too much.

Please elaborate. Forego your sore losing pov, where you don't say gg / rage / call everyone hackers, and explain to me how there are still cheaters in SF or Rumble

Edit: I forgot. There is a SF bot going around, was formerly Sprinklah or something, on Emerald. It's quite...bad, though, so I wouldn't see it as a threat. There is no feasible way that a bot can be better than a good SFer. For instance, there is a very proeminent player using one with a Saber on Emerald right now, and he's hovering around GM at best, so you can take your pickings.
And, scene.
*lights out*
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Hurtboss4 at Jul 27, 2012 10:01:42 AM]
[Jul 27, 2012 9:56:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
nrobd

What Geo said is also true, although to an extent - we haven't seen an OCL for anything but SFing in the last 2 years, I think?

^^^ This is not fair there are people in all OCL leagues that want to play in them. For instance i would enjoy playing in Rumble and Drinking, whether I lose or win, I would have fun playing in them.
Baab on Emerald
[Jul 27, 2012 1:54:43 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates