• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 9
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 3479 times and has 8 replies Next Thread
Franklincain

please explain term: "Scuttle Shield" Reply to this Post

I've heard the term "scuttle shield" bandied about in my ocean's parley group lately, and I cannot find the definition of this term on the Yppedia. I was hoping someone would be so kind as to explain this term to me, please.

Thank you! ;-)
~Franklin
----------------------------------------
Franklin W. Cain (Pirate FranklinCain on Meridian and other Oceans)
[Jul 13, 2012 8:17:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ezder

Re: please explain term: "Scuttle Shield" Reply to this Post

When a brigand king drops on an island, it's not possible for a player flag to declare a blockade in the same weekend. So, by scuttling a brigand king (provocing a BK blockade), a flag can prevent a PvP blockade the following weekend, and only have to fight off the BK, which is often easier/cheaper. That should be the definition of a scuttle shield - a way to, at the cost of a BK blockade, avoid a PvP blockade.
Avienda
Nightmare/Legacy

Naggy avatar

Qvintvs flag royalty chats, "I won't play for that much longer and when I quit, my pirate's dead body will be sent out at sea on a burning ship and let's face it, you will be on that ship as well.
[Jul 13, 2012 8:43:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
randomact

When someone scuttles a BK into blockading their island, the island can't be blockaded by another flag. Thus, the island is shielded by the scuttle.
Loathe/Forever.

Cremate tells ye, "i think i just broke my hymen"
[Jul 13, 2012 8:44:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Notsizzly

And in case you didn't know how you actually provoke the Brigand King to blockade an island...
~ Sizzly of Emerald ~
[Jul 13, 2012 9:10:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
BobJanova

Yep, scuttling a BK to avoid a PVP cade it is. Usually people choose a weak BK (Finius, if possible) so that the defence is easy and cheap.
Bobjanova on Viridian and Malachite
Shops and stalls with fair and profitable wages for all: Jubilee, Napi, Chelydra
Stripped/Barely Dressed (Malachite)
Phantasm/Reign of Chaos (Viridian)
[Jul 13, 2012 10:27:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
xelto

And the game was recently changed so that you can't scuttle two weeks in a row.
Gurndigarn on Emerald Ocean
"Oh, come on. You jobbed onto a ship called the Cursed Isle Raider and you expected *refined*?"
[Jul 13, 2012 5:07:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Franklincain

And the game was recently changed so that you can't scuttle two weeks in a row.

...OK, this is just falling back on my ancient knowledge of programming (from Ye Olden Days of Mainframes in the Air Force), but depending on how they define a "week", I can see an obvious work-around to this. (Which I will -not- be posting publicly... ;-)

To whom among the Ringers should I send this idea, so that someone there could test and see if this loophole has been adequately pre-empted?
Franklin W. Cain (Pirate FranklinCain on Meridian and other Oceans)
[Jul 13, 2012 5:33:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LJAmethyst

To contact a senior Ocean Master for such inquiries, use the web support form at http://www.puzzlepirates.com/support/
Retired as of August 2015.
2 Timothy 4:7
[Jul 13, 2012 6:34:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.newadvent.org/bible/jon001.htm [Link]  Go to top 
BobJanova

I'm fairly sure it means you can't scuttle if that would result in a blockade on consecutive weeks. It's an obvious enough 'loophole' that certain unscrupulous flags would have used it by now otherwise.
Bobjanova on Viridian and Malachite
Shops and stalls with fair and profitable wages for all: Jubilee, Napi, Chelydra
Stripped/Barely Dressed (Malachite)
Phantasm/Reign of Chaos (Viridian)
[Jul 14, 2012 5:49:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates