• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 9
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 2119 times and has 8 replies Next Thread
deltaruler

Delta Rating System Reply to this Post

Recently i had real issues and far from home without internet i had more time to think about the game in general. I am not sure what will be the response, whatever i present to you my work and i wish rational feedback. The System, which i created and posted on YPPedia is based on the official rankings. I know that the particular delta points are disputable, but i believe there will be someone who could take this seriously and i hope some of you could develop new Third-party tool or just to adapt already existing one to make the calculations easier. I expect suggestions about the delta points and their amount...

The main way to start any calculations is to make screenshots concerns the specific version of Delta Rating System. Probably one special gallery with all threaded with calculations pictures (screenshots) could be useful on YPPedia, if it's possible.
Personally i feel that the game has enough rankings and thinking of another official one is kind of pointless effort. However probably it's just me and my mind and I'll keep using this system to improve my own visions, plans and actions.

I love YPP mostly because it's open-ended game, but from the historical point of view i wish the game to improve some way to remember the best achievements and all best performances . It's good to keep walking forward, but if the past is lost and forgotten the whole meaning of the game becoming less attractive and only the present status is measure for all old and new players.

I am faraway from the best players and I'll never reach 30% of their achievements, so any voices about that i am making another 'show off' thread or ranking could be simply describe as childish fighting. Despise all possible negative opinions i wish you fair winds!
----------------------------------------
GULFipedia:
"Real life made me to respect people in games faster. Games made me to mute people in real life easier."
[Edit 1 times, last edit by deltaruler at Jul 8, 2012 1:40:11 PM]
[Jul 8, 2012 12:20:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Notsizzly

Re: Delta Rating System Reply to this Post

Deltaruler will probably ignore this but oh well, anyway:

Overall, I find this very time-consuming and complex, if not difficult. In general, I like to think that if you wish to store some pirate's accomplishments for the historical purpose, you can always create a page of that particular pirate in YPPedia. Some of this is already done in-game automatically, in the form of trophies (for example experience ones, like 'Broad Bilger' which will always stay in your trophy collection as a memory of you reaching 'Broad' in bilging).

Also, the abbveriations 'P.O.O.P.' and 'U.P.O.O.P.' are rather gross (because 'poop' is that thing that is filtered in-game to 'barnacle' and 'u poop' can be read 'you poop').
~ Sizzly of Emerald ~
[Jul 8, 2012 1:34:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
deltaruler

Deltaruler will probably ignore this but oh well, anyway:

Overall, I find this very time-consuming and complex, if not difficult. In general, I like to think that if you wish to store some pirate's accomplishments for the historical purpose, you can always create a page of that particular pirate in YPPedia. Some of this is already done in-game automatically, in the form of trophies (for example experience ones, like 'Broad Bilger' which will always stay in your trophy collection as a memory of you reaching 'Broad' in bilging).

Also, the abbveriations 'P.O.O.P.' and 'U.P.O.O.P.' are rather gross (because 'poop' is that thing that is filtered in-game to 'barnacle' and 'u poop' can be read 'you poop').

I can't clean up your way of thinking, however i could put in action extra efforts to rename and make new images only if there is people wishing to use the system. Abbreviation is your last concern. Don't worry about the time-consuming and the complexity comes from personal abilities... Version 1 and 4 are special for advanced usage, so the established ranking lists will use versions 2 and 3. Isn't hard to find 5 good crews or flags to start from somewhere... As for the ignorance - Notsizzly, i didn't ignored you. Thank you to improve the presentation of my intentions.
GULFipedia:
"Real life made me to respect people in games faster. Games made me to mute people in real life easier."
[Jul 8, 2012 2:23:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lilcracker

the abreviations are hilarious xD

POOP.... U POOP.... POOP x100.... FLOOP..... ALOOP

i see ye put a lot of time into this but unfortunately yer purposes are discarded by hyperranking and other obuses of the system, getting points for rank also doesnt help clear the crap crews where they make everyone O+ just because they want members...and the -1 point per member doesnt do anything to negate it.

the points off for staying in crew/flag is discouraging to community, which is pretty much the whole backbone of the game

age should not matter in the points,.. one of the great things about this game is that it is skill based rather than grind based... meaning that someone who's played it a week can be better at it than someone who's played it for years, because they are better skilled

reputations, especially explorer and magnate are HIGHLY exploitable to the point where they mean very little... or near meaningless...

magnate - buy a ton of CI trinkets, which usually go for about 50 poe... ye spend 50k on it... make about 30 chromas, and boom ye go from aspiring to illus with barely any effort... while someone who buys a ship from a shipyard, barely gets from renowned - celebrated.

explorer - citadels count far too much towards it, it takes about 10-20 mins to do a cit... maybe less, that 1 cit will count more towards explorer reputation than a 3-hour WF SMH or HS... makes no sense.

bonuses for "half-standing"... half standing is defined by arch,... meaning easily obusable by simply clicking "set as home" on an island in a weak arch

ltly i highly doubt this will be taken much into account because they simply have much higher priorities, like game content, than to focus their time and energy on another way to show accomplishments... they spend enough releases on trophies anyway XD
Meridian - Minigun

Emerald - Nightbear
[Jul 9, 2012 8:58:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
deltaruler

the abreviations are hilarious xD

POOP.... U POOP.... POOP x100.... FLOOP..... ALOOP

i see ye put a lot of time into this but unfortunately yer purposes are discarded by hyperranking and other obuses of the system, getting points for rank also doesnt help clear the crap crews where they make everyone O+ just because they want members...and the -1 point per member doesnt do anything to negate it.

the points off for staying in crew/flag is discouraging to community, which is pretty much the whole backbone of the game

age should not matter in the points,.. one of the great things about this game is that it is skill based rather than grind based... meaning that someone who's played it a week can be better at it than someone who's played it for years, because they are better skilled

reputations, especially explorer and magnate are HIGHLY exploitable to the point where they mean very little... or near meaningless...

magnate - buy a ton of CI trinkets, which usually go for about 50 poe... ye spend 50k on it... make about 30 chromas, and boom ye go from aspiring to illus with barely any effort... while someone who buys a ship from a shipyard, barely gets from renowned - celebrated.

explorer - citadels count far too much towards it, it takes about 10-20 mins to do a cit... maybe less, that 1 cit will count more towards explorer reputation than a 3-hour WF SMH or HS... makes no sense.

bonuses for "half-standing"... half standing is defined by arch,... meaning easily obusable by simply clicking "set as home" on an island in a weak arch

ltly i highly doubt this will be taken much into account because they simply have much higher priorities, like game content, than to focus their time and energy on another way to show accomplishments... they spend enough releases on trophies anyway XD

* ''the abreviations" > well the good point is you will think about the system when someone say the word...

* Time of loyalty is a part of the unofficial version. It help mainly the leadership of the crew, flag or alliance.

* Reputations shows the current activity and they are the basic factor makes the fame of the crews and flags. So they must be the first basic measure to start rating any pirate. If you calculate the max possible points you will find that the reputations as part of calculating P.O.O.P. aren't so important, because the max P.O.O.P. is like 10% of the max possible U.P.O.O.P. Despise the easy way of getting easy high personal reputation, crew's fame is based on the overall puzzling of the crew members as well, so yet again as you saying the reputations aren't so important and that's why they aren't presented with so high % in the final
max possible ultimate personal score.

* Age is presented with so low % of the points, so it's pointless to talk about it. After all one 3 years old pirate could be less skilled or experienced compare to half year played pirate. But after all the older players by default should know more in general.

Thank you for your post. I don't want another official ranking. I pursuit the way to save the best or top performances for the future generations of players, crews... As i said it's not another show off thread. It's attempt to preserve the right info and chase better performance compare the established leaders in the lists... Like as simple arcade game, you making the high score and the rest players trying to beat your record. Sounds silly and nostalgic, but that's me. I hope i could read more constructable opinions.

* You could calculate your own U.P.O.O.P. to find out which part of the system has the most serious impact. Puzzle standings could make your final score easily higher in no time, however if we take 2 pirates with same standing, more points should have that one with high levels of experience.
GULFipedia:
[Jul 9, 2012 10:13:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
deltaruler

I need any help to track all the best pirates and crews on all oceans, so if you don't have opinion yet on the presented system, just post here few names so i could check them out. Thank you for the assistance. As you see i spare more time for this compare to the opportunity to log on and play... Old screenshots are acceptable. Be sure they have to whole needed info to finish the calculations...
I spend before huge amount of time for other project, which finally became solo and useless. This project has future with the right assistance.

EDIT: I removed the lists of Flags and Alliances from the YPPedia's page. Just find some awesome pirate to calculate his final score and you will find that once we have some measure high points to compare, the rest pirates (crews) will be easier to find.
GULFipedia:
[Edit 2 times, last edit by deltaruler at Jul 10, 2012 9:12:21 AM]
[Jul 9, 2012 10:24:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
deltaruler

Now i have the screenshots from today about top 5 crews on Cerulean , which i believe will take the overall top 3 as well for now. I'll edit the list tomorrow within better calculations in case i made mistake, tired now, but the crews are:
1. Loose Cannons - 1484 C.O.O.P.
2. Pirates of the Damned - 1463 C.O.O.P.
3. Mad Mutineers - 1460 C.O.O.P.
4. The Phoenix Warriors - 1441 C.O.O.P.
5. Innocent - 1419 C.O.O.P.

Fair winds!
GULFipedia:
[Edit 2 times, last edit by deltaruler at Jul 9, 2012 12:16:19 PM]
[Jul 9, 2012 12:13:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Pianoman1125

Gullfstream,

While I laud your efforts and your intended goals, I must echo many of the concerns that were voiced with your earlier iterations of any sort of perpetually updating ranking or classing system being hosted on the YPPedia:

* The process for gathering data is cumbersome and time intensive.
* The ranking system is complex and complicated discouraging anyone other than yourself from ever updating this information.
* Ranking "best" crews using metrics that are, frankly, meaningless within the contexts of the game.
* A massive amount of work for something that provides extremely limited and narrow gains.

Again, I commend your work and your willingness to do it but I simply think that if you wish to consider pursuing this sort of ranking system, you might be better off creating and hosting your own website from one of the myriad of free hosting providers out there. This really isn't information that belongs on the YPPedia as, foundationally, it's just not encyclopedic. Best wishes moving forward from here.

~The Maestro
Muffynz
A Cartographer

Member of Crimson Tide
YPPedia Admin
Not-so-secretly conducting the oceans since 2003.
[Jul 9, 2012 11:22:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Pianoman1125    Your average cupcake is just not as tasty. [Link]  Go to top 
deltaruler

Gullfstream,

While I laud your efforts and your intended goals, I must echo many of the concerns that were voiced with your earlier iterations of any sort of perpetually updating ranking or classing system being hosted on the YPPedia:

* The process for gathering data is cumbersome and time intensive.
* The ranking system is complex and complicated discouraging anyone other than yourself from ever updating this information.
* Ranking "best" crews using metrics that are, frankly, meaningless within the contexts of the game.
* A massive amount of work for something that provides extremely limited and narrow gains.

Again, I commend your work and your willingness to do it but I simply think that if you wish to consider pursuing this sort of ranking system, you might be better off creating and hosting your own website from one of the myriad of free hosting providers out there. This really isn't information that belongs on the YPPedia as, foundationally, it's just not encyclopedic. Best wishes moving forward from here.

~The Maestro

Well, you're admin, do what you want. I made the calculations of those 5 crews in half hour during searching them as well, but after all you are the man... Delete any page of mine from YPPedia and make my life easier, thank you.
GULFipedia:
[Jul 10, 2012 9:04:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates