• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 10
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1681 times and has 9 replies Next Thread
Oneiroalt

The Higgs Boson! Reply to this Post

So they may have found it.
http://news.discovery.com/space/higgs-boson-discovered-120702.html

Bets on the outcome?
----------------------------------------
Oneiromancer on Ex Hunter Ocean.
Vivace on Ex Sage
Now on Emerald!
[Jul 2, 2012 2:01:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Abandonment

Re: The Higgs Boson! Reply to this Post

The fact that the guy the particle is named after has been invited to attend, it's either going to be to confirm or deny it's existence I think.
Priapus/Guantanamo
[Jul 2, 2012 3:08:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cnuofesd

I'll raise your bet of the confirmed discovery, and wager that I'll hear the phrase, "Margret Thatcher at a party" more than 20 times in the next week.
Capablanca on Emerald
My posts are not my own opinion.
[Jul 2, 2012 3:39:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
bronzebeard

Well, they've announced that they almost certainly have a new particle. Now they just need to confirm that it is the Higgs.
Peglegpaul
Now on Obsidian!
[Jul 4, 2012 1:38:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CKShinrai

Well, they've announced that they almost certainly have a new particle. Now they just need to confirm that it is the Higgs.

What they're seeing matches perfectly with what we'd expect to see from a Higgs consistent with the Standard Model, . There's basically next-to-nil possibility that it's anything else.

EDIT: Of course, they do still need to confirm that it fits all the other expected properties, but I expect that they will.
Erfan wrote: 
OUR SUPER IMPORTANT LORD SHINRAI THE HEDGEHOG

[Edit 1 times, last edit by CKShinrai at Jul 4, 2012 7:16:00 AM]
[Jul 4, 2012 7:03:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hillsmen

Anyone want to explain what this is in English for me?
Captainrich
[Jul 4, 2012 7:28:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jackingg

Once upon a time, there was a theory, and a myth, and they fought. And stuff. Then this, and then more fighting.
Ivytheblade

Not intended for those with weak constitutions

Now officially dating half your Parley Trolls.
[Jul 4, 2012 7:36:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Chavez67

There's three kinds of particles. There's the stuff that makes up matter (quarks), there's the stuff that carries charge (leptons, such as the electron), and there's the stuff that acts as carriers for the forces, which sorta jump between the other particles and help them interact. There's one particle for each force, such as the electromagnetism and the strong and weak nuclear forces, etc.

This Higgs Boson thing is the force-particle that jumps around and gives other particles their mass, so it's pretty integral in trying to explain how to incorporate gravity into particle physics. Until now, nobody could really work out how gravity played into everything.

The really interesting thing about this discovery, honestly, is that typically experiment drove the boat in particle physics. We'd find something new and weird and then have to try and explain it with theory. This is the other way around - we figured out it was there first, with theory, and then went and discovered it exactly where we thought it'd be.

Anybody else see Stephen Hawking lost a hundred dollar bet over this thing?

I did it.
clarify
It was me.

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Chavez67 at Jul 4, 2012 7:38:12 AM]
[Jul 4, 2012 7:37:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
OdorOfFrodo

The Higgs Boson is a particle predicted by the Standard Model of particle physics to be the particle that gives matter its mass. The only way to prove it exists is basically to send particles flying and smash them into each other at extremely high speeds and record where the particle bits go (and that's what the Large Hadron Collider was built for, not to create antimatter bombs or black holes). If they go a certain way a statistically significant number of times, it's basically proof that the boson exists.

If they had done the tests and the boson hadn't turned out to exist, it would have turned our knowledge of physics on its ear. As for now, it looks like they'll exceed the statistically significant cutoff and they'll be able to declare that the Higgs Boson is in fact real.

Next up, jetpacks!
Ecavatar by Ecastasy!
Talisker wrote: 
Obviously this calls for dressing up as Karl Marx.

[Jul 4, 2012 7:42:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hillsmen

Now that I get it, pretty cool stuff. Never taken a class about physics or looked into it much, but seems like a pretty huge discovery.
Captainrich
[Jul 4, 2012 10:44:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates