• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 9
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1660 times and has 8 replies Next Thread
Franklincain

reporting vandalism? Reply to this Post

Just stumbled across an act of vandalism. Already un-did it. Just wanted to know official protocol for reporting vandalism.

(Not going to point fingers here on public forum. ;-) Anyone wanting to find the specific vandalism in question can check Recent Changes on Wiki.)

Thanks!
Franklin
----------------------------------------
Franklin W. Cain (Pirate FranklinCain on Meridian and other Oceans)
[Jun 18, 2012 8:27:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ranker1

Re: reporting vandalism? Reply to this Post

I took a look, though I can't really offer any help on the official stance seeing as I have never edited the wiki. But I noticed that on the page in question there is a neutrality banner with reference to the talk page - of which there is none. I had a quick read and there's a few examples of how incredibly one sided the article is:

Ksb won over all his allies by his unwavering and sincere dedication to them. He even won the admiration of the leaders of the other side of the web, some of them whom once asked Ksb, “What’s in for you? I see you all the time during blockades for you allies. Each weekend, you will be there without fail.” And “despite being on the opposite side of the web, you have, over time, earned my respect for you and your leadership, how I wish our allies can be like you

To this question, Ksb famously replied, “Nothing is in it for me. Laugh at me for being old fashioned, but the very day I joined the alliance, I swore to defend and help my allies without any reservation or hesitation. I may not have ultimate stats, but stats alone do not run a flag.”

Ksb can also be amazingly funny

This may not be the place for it, but I can actually kind of understand why someone would vandalize a page like this. Is there any way to actually get this article to be relatively neutral without deleting vast swathes of text? Or perhaps the talk page should be started regarding the article? I don't know the inner workings of wiki's so perhaps someone here would be able to start it?
Ranker on Meridian.

Super.
[Jun 18, 2012 8:36:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Franklincain

Editing an article to be make it more neutral is one thing.

Flat-out labeling someone as an "idiot" (their word) is another.

The latter is a clear-cut example of vandalism, and should be reported as such.

PS, I refrained from identifying the specific article in question because I -did- -not- want to risk starting a flame war. Next time, please respect this, and preserve the requested anonymity.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Franklincain at Jun 18, 2012 8:46:09 AM]
[Jun 18, 2012 8:44:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ranker1

Flat-out labeling someone as an "idiot" (their word) is another.

Quite, though arguably labelling yourself as "Amazingly funny" is just as bad - purely on the other end of the spectrum of labelling. Although that is straying from the point I wished to make about this particular article - I haven't the slightest clue what the general etiquette is for this sort of thing and as such I wouldn't bother editing it, as I know it would probably be changed back fairly sharpish.

Regardless, articles such as this one should not really be in existence. Is there any way of changing what is said in the article to make it appear more neutral without getting rid of vast amounts of text? I'm certain that if I were to do so, it would be changed back fairly sharpish for vandalism as well.
Ranker on Meridian.

Super.
[Jun 18, 2012 8:48:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Franklincain

*(shrug)*...Personally, I have no trouble with the idea of unleashing the Bloody-Red Chainsaw of Editing, in principle. >;-)

However, I consider myself as still being too "junior" of a YPPedian to go at that specific article myself. I'd rather one of the more senior YPPedians take that article in hand, or at least initiate discussion on how best to rein it in...
[Jun 18, 2012 8:54:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ranker1

It's not a factual article, it is written more like a story. It could be an idea to reduce it down to simply the facts and his achievements and then work from there. I'll start the discussion on it when I have some time to do so.
Ranker on Meridian.

Super.
[Jun 18, 2012 8:57:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LJAmethyst

PS, I refrained from identifying the specific article in question because I -did- -not- want to risk starting a flame war. Next time, please respect this, and preserve the requested anonymity.

It would be one thing if you had noticed an article and had not edited it recently, in which case we could not determine what you were talking about. But since you had already performed a revert on the article, and contributions are public, anyone reading "Recent Changes" or your own list of contributions would easily be able to identify the article.

Besides, (if the NPOV template had been properly applied...) the article is categorized into "Neutrality disputes" for patrol and attention from those who are concerned about such things.
Retired as of August 2015.
2 Timothy 4:7
[Jun 18, 2012 11:23:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.newadvent.org/bible/jon001.htm [Link]  Go to top 
Fannon

It's not a factual article, it is written more like a story. It could be an idea to reduce it down to simply the facts and his achievements and then work from there. I'll start the discussion on it when I have some time to do so.

This is what you do to fix those articles. If someone feels you've removed too much information, it's not hard to add it back in (since it's all saved in revision history anyway).

In regards to your initial question about dealing with vandalism - reverting the page is the way to go, while also leaving a note on the offending user's talk page using one of the vandalism tags found here: http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/YPPedia:Style_guide#Warnings_for_talk_pages
That's usually enough to get an admin's attention, and if we feel the vandalism is flagrant enough, we'll add a temporary ban and run it up to Clotho for official input regarding a lengthier ban.
Princess of Versus Terminus
Wikipedia Administrator
[Jun 18, 2012 11:53:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Clotho
OceanMaster

We have two separate issues here. One being the neutrality of an article (LJAmethyst explained above about the NPOV template and discussion).

The second is about vandalism. The policy for dealing with that is explained here: http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/YPPedia:Policies_and_guidelines

Summary: revert the offending edition and add a warning choosing from the templates that Fannon listed above. The first warning is left in the user's talk page. The second is a month's ban, also depending on the severity. To request a ban please use the "Request assistance" link on this page: http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/YPPedia:Administrators

For those not comfortable dealing with these issues, please report the vandalism here: http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/YPPedia:Vandalism_in_progress

For the most severe cases or that may need an in-game suspension/ban, please also leave a note in my talk page.
[Jun 18, 2012 9:54:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates