• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 40
Posts: 40   Pages: 2   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 6192 times and has 39 replies Next Thread
Chiptharip

Re: The elitism of Puzzle Pirates Reply to this Post

You are raising valid points about jobber culture, game design, etc. No one is debating you on those points. They are debating about the validity in blaming the aforementioned factors on a situation that had a very clear cause (your crew's O training policy).
[May 29, 2012 1:39:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jongy5

I'm still confused. Have we finished with "Elitism" yet?
----------------------------------------
Musicologist : Self-proclaimed Master Minstrel mostly of Meridian

Message from Team Evil: Fine, we'll pass the petition along to Hera for you even though you're pro-Team Purple, but we refuse to be happy about it! #TeamEvilisAWESOME
[May 29, 2012 4:51:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tanonev

You may have heard of the joke that everyone who drives slower than you is a prude, and everyone who drives faster than you is a maniac. (Translation: You're always right and everyone else is wrong if they disagree with you.) I'm seeing a variant popping up here: everyone with more game proficiency/understanding/preference than you is elitist, and everyone with less is a noob. Regardless of where you lie in the spectrum, this is a terribly narcissistic attitude to adopt.

Also, a corollary: If everyone is an elitist in your eyes, then where are you on the spectrum?
Tanonev on all oceans; currently exploring Meridian.
Puppetar by Tilinka
[May 29, 2012 5:57:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.alpha-slash.com [Link]  Go to top 
Dexla

This is purely speculation, but does the auto-divvy contribute to this decline of jobber retention/attention span? I was still a bit of a baby when the switch-over occurred and in a pretty solid pillaging crew - but was it just as much of a rotating door then, as it is now? I sort of think waiting until port brought some level of patience to the game.

*edit to add--- good navvers or bad navvers--- what keeps me off a boat is the idea of playing the same puzzles that I've been playing for the last 5 years. What gets me ON a boat is being out with someone who is pleasant to spend time with, regardless of poe being made (or not made even).
Dexla d'Midnight
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Dexla at May 29, 2012 7:04:51 PM]
[May 29, 2012 7:02:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
xelto

This is purely speculation, but does the auto-divvy contribute to this decline of jobber retention/attention span? I was still a bit of a baby when the switch-over occurred and in a pretty solid pillaging crew - but was it just as much of a rotating door then, as it is now? I sort of think waiting until port brought some level of patience to the game.

It was in place when I started, so I can't comment more than
1) A lot of the crusty old salts really don't like it.
2) The abuses that got the auto-divvy put in will probably restart if it's removed.

On the other hand....

A recurring theme in game design is something to make pillaging more attractive. There have been a number of suggestions, and OOO hinted recently that they have some ideas that they're going to try. If the extra perks from pillaging only come after a ship ports-- like, say, foraging and treasure haul expeditions start having chests with extra stuff in them-- then you might see a bit of the old-style guard-your-booty-till-port. Especially if there's some way to make it so the extra goodies are more likely to be valuable the more fights/expos you've been part of on the voyage. (No, I don't have any immediate ideas how to do that. Suggestions welcome.)

I don't know how well theory would translate to reality, but it's an idea.
Gurndigarn on Emerald Ocean
"Oh, come on. You jobbed onto a ship called the Cursed Isle Raider and you expected *refined*?"
[May 29, 2012 7:16:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Chylamydia

I dont think jobbing off the NB for sloop pillages isn't a big a nightmare as some in the thread are saying.

Being doing it for a few weeks now (86% Jobber's Delight), as I'm memming via the "Pillage for chart I need, then mem that route" method - and its been really enjoyable so far. I leave port with 2/7 to 4/7 on board and I don't have a habit of screening jobbers - when im dnavving I dont exit to check stats I click Hire - but I tend to be fairly liberal with the use of plank with boochers, afkers and the plain "doesn't want to station anywhere else".

Yes, I have had the odd pillage where I'm struggling to port with a 2-2 win loss ratio and every jobber seems to leave after every other battle, but on the flip side of the coin I've had pillages with entirely NB jobbers, where at least half the boat stayed for the entire pillage (5 -7 battles normally) and these weren't elite jobbers by any stretch - some greenies, some solid proficients...

I was actually quite impressed with the behavior of Emerald jobbers as a whole.
Tinnitus on Emerald
[May 29, 2012 9:33:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
zeplin411

I will be honest, I did not read this whole thread. Sorry if I missed some of your points that were actually helpful to the OP.

I run a fully inclusive crew originally from Sage. I have a strict officer training program that is supported by all of my SOs. It allows us to teach new officers how to avoid the issue you had. Feel free to check out my crew Sealords Armada. It is post right on my crew page.

To help my SOs give a consistent OT I have written a guideline that are all expected to use. It is posted here for anyone to look at.

Feel free to use part of it or all of it. It is just the basic requirements that OT covers. Then anyone officer + in the crew attempts to make sue they are there for their first pillages. We also do a lot of nav sharing to help teach more beyond the basic OT.

If you want to ask me more questions on this find me in game. I am always willing to help a fellow pirate teach others how to be respectable pirates that are fun to play with.
Miget
Captain of Sealords Armada
Queen of Imperial Rednecks

Castor tells ye, "Ahoy mate. Did ye want the name "Awesome"? (That will run ye 12 shanghais)
A drunk moment with a flaggie saying "awesome"
[May 29, 2012 10:49:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
JamesStGeorg

In the way there is a crew/jobbers booty divide setting, there could be an additional weighting system on the final ported booty related to duration of the journey worked. Based on the performance variation of pay used for blockades. Instead of skill/performance the weighting is based on battles worked out of the whole trip.

So the casual abandoning ship attitude, to jobbing loses you poe. This is not performance elitist, it is reliability elitist, greenies who stick to the task as well as reliable top puzzle performers get the same. (Pillages have no performance booty weighting anyway bar a + at the end which can still be used) To be fair all round the captain should have to set the time or probably battles, length at the start on the NB. So jobbers know how long within a bit the voyage will last. A booty divide type vote, of the crew on board needed to permit voyage duration alterations. Go on over time/battles and the main booty division slowly tips more in favour of the jobbers 5% per extra 2 battles
Jstgeorge of Emerald.
[May 31, 2012 3:25:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hillsmen

Personal opinion, the game needs more elitism.
Captainrich
[May 31, 2012 8:32:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
marundel

Mebbe porting should count as 1 battle for calculating the booty divide - sort of an automatic +1 for everyone on station when the ship ports... or maybe a built in +1 for every 5 battles a jobber participates in... the skipper would still have the ability to add another +1 just as they do now.
Pizzahutpete on the Cerulean Ocean
Prince, Super Awesomeness
SO, Boochin' Drunks

Pizzahutpete everywhere, thanks to the merge
[Jun 1, 2012 6:05:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.thehomebrewstore.com    meadbrewer [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 40   Pages: 2   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates