• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 2964
Posts: 2964   Pages: 99   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 278959 times and has 2963 replies Next Thread
AhoyLindsay

Re: ROMS: (DC)XV -- GAME ON Reply to this Post

Regarding DC, I think we should all go to this page and choose a different one that we think it means. I'm personally wavering between the Dene-Caucasian language family and the Dining Cryptographers problem, but we could also interpret the whole game as Detective Constables versus Dossier Criminals. :)

I'll wait to chime in on the "creating reasons" thing until after Nalanthi himself does.
----------------------------------------
Castawayjoe of the Midnight Ocean.
To err is human, but to arr is pirate.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Catharsis on Cobalt and Malachite.
[May 24, 2012 5:04:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Setsusa

Well aren't we all jumpy.

Given that this takes place in Washington DC, do we got any local stores? Maybe I wanna go to the grocery store, or the museum, or the beach (does DC have a beach? ignorant Canadian here) or FedEx or some pizza place. Actually, scratch that, pizza delivery is better cause I like meeting the pizza guy. Are we confined to a predetermined location or is the city our domain to use.

Perhaps the Rogues have wiretapped our Police HQ, our houses, our cars. They may know everything we do. They're watching us.
Cremate on Emerald.
Motou on Meridian.
[May 24, 2012 5:13:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nalanthi

Riku wrote: 
Nalanthi wrote: 
Nalanthi demands evidence. I mistrust gut. I can create several probable reasons, gut just seems to be a way of saying "I don't want to take the time to figure out what my reasons are" or even "I don't want to bother explaining them to you."

I'm not sure how I feel about the "I can create several probable reasons". Voting on gut alone? Odd. "Creating" reasons to vote? Suspicious.

What I meant is that I can construct several plausible "stories" or "reasons" that might have led to his vote based on the evidence in the thread. Doing this does not help me get closer to knowing what his reasons actually are. I think gut votes are a cop out.

To reiterate, I am not creating reasons to vote, I am creating (for myself) possible reasons for his gut vote to try and explain it.
LotsofGoats wrote: 

Quote pyramids... I tend to go with just the last quote in the chain, but I think the entire context (provided that you're not quoting Lyaka who's quoting Searmin who's quoting Lyaka) could be useful.

I'll keep that in mind, but overquoting my wife would probably be bad for other reasons.... I don't think deconstructing her posts would be good for marital harmony. :-)
Nalanthi - A Blatant PvPer, War Monger and Officer of the Falcon's Fury.
-Midnight (Retired)
Tamman - Head of a Merchant Empire, and Strategist of Black Plague
-Viridian (Retired)
Nalanthi - Mercenary and scalawag.
-Malachite
[May 24, 2012 5:14:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Bunnylaroo

@Goats:

Fixed, just in case :P

You're welcome.

Phoenix, continued:

I think it's important to keep in mind that role/item heavy =/= every single innocent has a role or an item, which is the only context where Phoenix' "I'm posting this in the thread to help others" would be a good reason, in my opinion. I'm leaning towards it being a blunder by an innocent rather than a roguish JMT machination though.

RE: Pyramids

Quotes within quotes don't drive me crazy, but at a certain point it can become becomes ridiculous. My only request is that if you are doing some quoteception, please attribute all the quotes, including the outermost one (Mads, I'm looking at you :P)

riku, regarding Elliptic's JMT last game, wrote: 
Actually, Rissa voted him for it.

In full disclosure, Rissa voted him for "a dream", then when she tried to build a case against him the JMT was all she could find. I don't believe that the JMT was the initial reason for the vote.
Bunnylaroo of Sage Emerald

[May 24, 2012 5:16:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
riku743

Nalanthi wrote: 
To reiterate, I am not creating reasons to vote, I am creating (for myself) possible reasons for his gut vote to try and explain it.

Rereading it, that makes sense.
Nil used to play Mala.
Lurking on the forums.
[May 24, 2012 5:21:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
PhoenyxStar

Talisker wrote: 

I've thought about this some while sitting in traffic and for me it comes down to a few things that come to mind here. First, I can't think of a time I'd do the same. Second, in a game naturally inclined to secrecy, doing something for "everyone" and that so blatantly hints at a night action is weird, it's definitely uncommon. So perhaps I just can't think of a good reason, and haven't seen one given.

Can we go with Your brain works differently from my brain so things that seem like they're really strange to you are well connected and make sense to me?

To clarify this, I'm not saying "Don't look at me! Don't Look at me!! I didn't do anything wrong!!!" I'm saying "I connect from point A to point B differently to you, will you wait and see - at least longer than 24 hours?"

Just because you wouldn't do something doesn't mean that someone else wouldn't do something. Personally I would never jump off a perfectly good bridge no matter how much elasticised rope was tied to my ankles - but that doesn't mean that others won't. It just means that I won't. I also don't see the attraction in jumping out of a perfectly good plane with a bit of cloth strapped to you.

I don't think Smileo was saying that he believes I'm not a rogue, I think he was saying that there's only a little bit of anything to go on and more evidence would be nice. I could also be wrong there and he's insane and/or a rogue trying to throw me under a bus because people are talking about me. Either way I'll watch and wait a little until I have more to go on.

Quote pyramids - meh. If you need to nest 3 or 4 things in order to not get called on later for "unwarranted cropping" then do it. But yeah, quoting a Lyaka novella in reply to a Searmin sonnet in reply to another Lyaka Novella... that would be a bit far without cropping.
~ Phoenix or Danae

Depends on the colour of your ocean really.
[May 24, 2012 5:22:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
JMRUDNICK

As to the whole Riss comment after the game I decided to ask her what her reasoning was on Elliptic. Yes, she voted dream wise, but her gut was telling her that the JMT was way too soon and it didn't sit well with her. She tried making a case against him, but was unsuccessful. Also, the fact of her unsuccessful case was based on the pure frustration that she was feeling prior to the vote. She was sick and wasn't thinking clearly and everyone could see it.
JeanneMarie of Obsidian
Formerly of Meridian
Captain of Lion's Roar
Princess of Placeholder
[May 24, 2012 5:23:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
master2482

Setsusa wrote: 
Perhaps the Rogues have wiretapped our Police HQ, our houses, our cars. They may know everything we do. They're watching us.

It's quiet. Too quiet...

All in all, I feel like we're ready for this game as a whole. Look, only a few hours in and a hundred posts! And most of them aren't meta or fluff!
Who are you and where did you take the town?

On the other hand, I still recognize you all. Yes, what Phoe, MrBriney, and Smiley did is weird. However, people can do weird stuff and not be rogues. Look at Rissa, or myself.
I don't find anyone suspicious right now, minus the inherent suspicion of the game, of course.

On preview, I realize how this seems I'm saying "No, don't look there!" I'm not. I'm just saying it seems like an oddly high level of suspicion on them for the events.

The people about there, had they been awake instead of asleep, at other times would have seen even stranger things. Some day, but not at this time, I shall make an announcement of something that I never once dreamed of.

[May 24, 2012 5:26:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
randomact

Master wrote: 
I'm just saying it seems like an oddly high level of suspicion on them for the events.
Does it? From what I've read there's not much of suspicion, more discussing things and how they've come about. I haven't reread, but has anyone come out and directly said "I am suspicious of this"?
Loathe/Forever.

Cremate tells ye, "i think i just broke my hymen"
[May 24, 2012 5:32:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
riku743

Phoenyx wrote: 
I could also be wrong there and he's insane and/or a rogue trying to throw me under a bus because people are talking about me.

How would him not voting for you be throwing you under the bus?

-----

On a non-game-related note: My local drugstore stopped selling the allergy medication I usually use (Chlor-Trimeton) because apparently people were using it to make meth. It's the only one I've ever used, and it's worked quite well. I've now ran out. There were some people discussing allergies the other game -- does anyone have any recommendations of brands to try? Or should I try prescriptions?
Nil used to play Mala.
Lurking on the forums.
[May 24, 2012 5:33:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
master2482

Randomact wrote: 
Master wrote: 
I'm just saying it seems like an oddly high level of suspicion on them for the events.
Does it? From what I've read there's not much of suspicion, more discussing things and how they've come about. I haven't reread, but has anyone come out and directly said "I am suspicious of this"?

Well, I felt like people were implying suspicion. Might've been right, might've been wrong, but it's what I felt.

The people about there, had they been awake instead of asleep, at other times would have seen even stranger things. Some day, but not at this time, I shall make an announcement of something that I never once dreamed of.

[May 24, 2012 5:35:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
DementedDuck

AL wrote: 
Regarding DC, I think we should all go to this page and choose a different one that we think it means. I'm personally wavering between the Dene-Caucasian language family and the Dining Cryptographers problem, but we could also interpret the whole game as Detective Constables versus Dossier Criminals. :)

I was going to use DC shoes for my joke in the sign up thread before I thought of d/cing.
Evilduck/Superduck.
Emerald, Cerulean, and that other one.
Now in Obsidian flavour.

I record puzzles.
[May 24, 2012 5:38:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
The_Jokerina

Smileo's abstain worries me slightly. It seems that he has said his piece for the Day and that is it.

However, I of course could be wrong and that he simply voted abstain and will come add some comments later on if his rant about work/commute is anything to go by.

We shall see.
[May 24, 2012 5:41:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
taelac

Riku wrote: 
On a non-game-related note: My local drugstore stopped selling the allergy medication I usually use (Chlor-Trimeton) because apparently people were using it to make meth. It's the only one I've ever used, and it's worked quite well. I've now ran out. There were some people discussing allergies the other game -- does anyone have any recommendations of brands to try? Or should I try prescriptions?

You mean this? If you don't want to get it from there, you can order it through the CVS website, which is a chain drugstore. (Am I remembering right that you're in the US?)

You might still be able to get it OTC from your pharmacy if you just checked the shelves and didn't talk to a pharmacist, but you might have to show ID and sign for it. That's what they did with all the pseudoephedrine decongestants, for the same reason.
~Taelac
ROMS XVII:Vanilla Filler
Dead Thread
[May 24, 2012 5:42:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
riku743

Oh. I didn't even think of ordering it online. Didn't know you could do that :P Thanks.
Nil used to play Mala.
Lurking on the forums.
[May 24, 2012 5:44:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
NotJaret

Going to have to agree with joker, but really the abstain doesn't change one thing. Forgot who voted for whom but they will still be lynched if nothing else happens.
Jaret of Hunter Emerald
[May 24, 2012 5:45:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
mads0001

Oh. I didn't even think of ordering it online. Didn't know you could do that :P Thanks.

You mean you don't get bazillions of "cheep medz" spam emails? lucky!
rachaelj wrote: 

"your standing in patronising has gone up and is now respected in your archipelago"
spelling corrected by Mads(tm) :P
[May 24, 2012 5:47:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
taelac

Some quick notes, hopefully before we go dark...

I find Smileo's quick-draw abstain and Mrbriney's "gut" vote both more concerning than the mad ramblings of a Phoenix short on sleep, but that may just be because I empathize, since my own squidlet has been coughing his fool head off for a week and a half, between the scuppering trees (srsly, get a room, trees!) and the recent Colorado wildfire trashing our air.
~Taelac
ROMS XVII:Vanilla Filler
Dead Thread
[May 24, 2012 5:47:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Bunnylaroo

Jaret wrote: 
Going to have to agree with joker, but really the abstain doesn't change one thing. Forgot who voted for whom but they will still be lynched if nothing else happens.

We're nowhere near 50% of all players voting yet, Jaret, so if "nothing else happens" there will be no lynch. But, considering that there are 60 or so hours left in the day, plenty will happen.

Don't remember clearly, but is Smiley typically in the Day 1 abstain camp?

[May 24, 2012 5:49:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
AhoyLindsay

I'm more looking at Jokerina, since
Jokerina wrote: 
Smileo's abstain worries me slightly. It seems that he has said his piece for the Day and that is it.
Jokerina wrote: 
A gut vote so early in the game Mrbriney? But the party has just begun! Maybe stay away from the sour cream dip.
makes twice that she has commented on small issues at hand without actually saying if she is suspicious of the people in question.
[May 24, 2012 5:51:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
riku743

Last game, I believe Smileo was in the "Lynches on Day 1 are usually on innocents for silly, small things" camp.
Nil used to play Mala.
Lurking on the forums.
[May 24, 2012 5:51:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Furare

#Vote: smileo

Call it policy or whatever you want, but yours is an attitude I want to see stamped out.

FWIW, I don't think the danger of hitting roleholders is as note-worthy this game as it might otherwise be, given that some of the power roles take the form of (presumably) moveable items. I'm also generally not really swayed by that argument anyway. "It's too dangerous to lynch rogues" really isn't where I want to be with ROMS, you know?

Preview: @Bunny - Yeah, Smiley generally is in the "always Abstain first round" camp.
Amonet on Obsidian. Dracina everywhere else.

Now only mostly retired.

[May 24, 2012 5:53:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Bunnylaroo

riku wrote: 
Last game, I believe Smileo was in the "Lynches on Day 1 are usually on innocents for silly, small things" camp.

Which is pretty much exactly how I read what he said about Phoenix, so the abstain may just be par for the Smiley course.

@AhoyLindsay: When Jokerina says it "worries her slightly", doesn't that imply suspicion?

I mean, you've commented that you're "looking at her", which isn't stating suspicion directly but implying it. So...I don't get what you're saying, basically.

[May 24, 2012 5:56:41 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
NotJaret

Jaret wrote: 

We're nowhere near 50% of all players voting yet, Jaret, so if "nothing else happens" there will be no lynch. But, considering that there are 60 or so hours left in the day, plenty will happen.

Don't remember clearly, but is Smiley typically in the Day 1 abstain camp?

I didn't read that carefully enough, I am still kind of noobish to this game/concept so bear (is that how you spell it in this context?) with me.
*Mind the pyramid xD
Jaret of Hunter Emerald
[May 24, 2012 5:59:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
marinated

JMRUDNICK wrote: 
JMRUDNICK wrote: 
Either way it's still suspicious, but I don't see it pointing to being a rogue
... I forgot the 'not' in my sentence....

Strange; it doesn't look like a word was missed out of that sentence (assuming that's the sentence you were referring to). How does the "not" fit in?

Sleepyjo - on all oceans
[May 24, 2012 6:03:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
DementedDuck

Jaret wrote: 
bear (is that how you spell it in this context?) with me.

Yes, it is.

On the subject of first round voting/abstaining, I've been in the abstain-unless-given-a-strong-reason-not-to because in my first few games I grasped for straws for a Day 1 lynch knowing my reasons were poor and I don't like doing that. However, the fact that a draw between abstain and a player results in a player being lynched, I'm not going to place my vote until very late in the Day unless I decide to vote for a player. I may not get around to placing it at all, so there's my stance.
Evilduck/Superduck.
Now in Obsidian flavour.

I record puzzles.
[May 24, 2012 6:06:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
DementedDuck

The word "camp" goes in there somewhere. Totally got carried away with making sure my word order was correct and ended up forgetting entire words.
Evilduck/Superduck.
Now in Obsidian flavour.

I record puzzles.
[May 24, 2012 6:07:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
JMRUDNICK

I have to go back and double check what I was writing to see where I screwed up. I had a bunch of cats jump on the keyboard, they may or may not have deleted a whole sentence.

I don't think Phoenix is suspicious due to asking for clarification. I can see it partially as a JMT. Whether or not it's a real JMT or a rogue JMT. I just don't see a rogue jumping out and saying what she said that could have been easily addressed by the rogue doc, if she is in fact a rogue. It's just not sticking out at me where I would mainly vote her for that reason.
JeanneMarie of Obsidian
Formerly of Meridian
Captain of Lion's Roar
Princess of Placeholder
[May 24, 2012 6:08:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
mads0001

I'm more looking at Jokerina, since
Jokerina wrote: 
Jokerina wrote: 
A gut vote so early in the game Mrbriney? But the party has just begun! Maybe stay away from the sour cream dip.
makes twice that she has commented on small issues at hand without actually saying if she is suspicious of the people in question.

I think at this stage it's more tongue in cheek than "ZOMG ROAG!!!111one!!1" thinking. Not that I'm one to stick my neck out for anyone else, just I read that in the same way I made a little poke at dwizzle earlier.

It's a bit hard to assume anything at this stage, which presumably is why people want to hold fire on the day 1 lynch.

I was against it last game. This game, I guess if day one continues at this pace, we might have "something" to go on by nightfall, which would be nice.

I'm against lynching unless there's something solid to go on.

Incidentally, I think it's worth keeping an eye on some of the less vocal types. Elliptic did a great job last game of floating by under the radar.
rachaelj wrote: 

"your standing in patronising has gone up and is now respected in your archipelago"
spelling corrected by Mads(tm) :P
[May 24, 2012 6:09:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
AhoyLindsay

Bunnylaroo wrote: 
@AhoyLindsay: When Jokerina says it "worries her slightly", doesn't that imply suspicion?
Does it? She could easily say that it worries her because it's not attitude she wants townies to take, but that it doesn't necessarily mean he's a rogue. With the two posts I quoted, Jokerina could plausibly claim them to be suspicion or not suspicion (whereas my "looking at", while not an outright "FoS", could not in context be reasonably interpreted as something other than a level of suspicion).

Mads, you make a fair point on the tongue-in-cheek thing.
[May 24, 2012 8:45:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 2964   Pages: 99   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates