• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  


Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 2964
Posts: 2964   Pages: 99   [ First Page | Previous Page | 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 279205 times and has 2963 replies Next Thread
smileo

Member's Avatar


Joined: Aug 28, 2006
Posts: 1635
Status: Offline
Re: ROMS: (DC)XV -- GAME ON Reply to this Post
Reply with Quote

Furare wrote: 
I voted the first person to vote Abstain because I'd decided pre-game that I was going to do that. That's all the justification my vote has or needs.


This baffles me. you talk about how we need the information from Day 1 votes so we need to lynch someone.

What information do we get from your vote that you could not just state in a post?

You say your vote is a statement, but what if a bandwagon followed? would you leave your vote in the mix adding weight to my potential fall? My point is that you seem more interested in studying the votecount than actually finding rogues. Playing the odds game.
A policy vote on the first person to take a particular metastance is just plain roulette. Is that a better way of playing Day 1? I'm not sure your method bears fruit.

Im not convinced you're seeking fruit.

FoS

will be back shortly
----------------------------------------
'Tis not true, that I are psychologically challenged
I prefers the term "Mentally Hilarious"

Smiley
Could very well be a rogue.
[May 26, 2012 3:23:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
DementedDuck

Member's Avatar


Joined: Mar 31, 2006
Posts: 3153
Status: Offline
Re: ROMS: (DC)XV -- GAME ON Reply to this Post
Reply with Quote

marinated wrote: 
Duck wrote: 
Here if you wanted to find it.

Er... Why would I need to find it when I quoted it and gave the link in my post? This smacks of trying to look active while not actually reading.
becus i r noob. And because, as I said in that post, I'd read everything from my phone in the pub. I just wanted to make a quick post on the points I could remember wanting to respond to because it was pretty late when I got home.

I took a quick look at Mrbriney first because I wasn't wild about the gut vote.
Mrbriney wrote: 
We need what, 17 votes for a lynch? My one vote on someone that noone else has noticed will hardly be a game-changing moment. I am voting based on my past experiences, I doubt any of you will agree with me, nor do I expect you to, but for me it's the most I've got to go on at this stage.
What you seem to be forgetting is we have a required number of votes - 50% of the playerbase - to meet before a lynch goes through, so if you vote for person A and 16 of us vote for person B, you're still contributing to their lynch because not voting would cause the town to miss the lynch. I know some people would be fine with that, but are you?
I'm not comfortable with people voting for reasons they know and admit are weak so early in the game. Later on, sure, that's more understandable. But Day 1? I don't think that's okay, personally.

As far as the whole "she reminded me of myself as a rogue" argument, I don't think that holds any water. It's an argument one could apply to you but not to anyone else. These past behaviour/rogue behaviour arguments shouldn't be combined, i.e. "you do this as a rogue" is fine, as is "this is a generally roguey thing to do" but "someone else does this as a rogue" is not a valid argument, IMO.
I'd like to know what your stance on voting and abstaining is because it'll help me feel more or less comfortable with the idea of a vote with reasons you admit are weak.

Also, I don't think it counts as a gut vote if you can define the reasons behind it. That doesn't affect my view on the matter, I'm just throwing it out there.

Pressure votes: I'm not a massive fan of them, because I absolutely fail to post anything but defensive posts when I am being pressured and, here's a surprise, that puts even more pressure on me! I understand that some people really are flying under the radar and need to be poked, but you need to learn to recognise when someone is flying low and when someone is just very busy because, speaking from experience, it feels unfair to be suspected because you have barnacle to do.

There is a mosquito in my room and I'm very much at risk of being bitten. Again. >:[

Master's being a bit weird and kind of not reading brilliantly ("I really, really don't like the way you're handling some things, notably the above and how you said you didn't like pressure votes while having a pressure vote on Phoe.") but I don't personally think that means he's a rogue. He just plays that way and I can say that without feeling mean because I also fail to read quite often.

I'm wary of falling into the easy lynch trap again, so I'm watchlisting Mrbriney for now.
----------------------------------------
Evilduck/Superduck.
Emerald, Cerulean, and that other one.
Now in Obsidian flavour.

I record puzzles.
[May 26, 2012 3:37:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
DementedDuck

Member's Avatar


Joined: Mar 31, 2006
Posts: 3153
Status: Offline
Re: ROMS: (DC)XV -- GAME ON Reply to this Post
Reply with Quote

Oh, and Furare:

----------------------------------------
Evilduck/Superduck.
Emerald, Cerulean, and that other one.
Now in Obsidian flavour.

I record puzzles.
[May 26, 2012 3:38:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lotsofgoats

Member's Avatar


Joined: Apr 4, 2005
Posts: 10163
Status: Offline
Re: ROMS: (DC)XV -- GAME ON Reply to this Post
Reply with Quote

Ducky wrote: 
I'm not comfortable with people voting for reasons they know and admit are weak so early in the game. Later on, sure, that's more understandable. But Day 1? I don't think that's okay, personally.

Not that I agree with voting for "weak" reasons either, but I feel like this is reversed. Voting should theoretically be more well-reasoned the further we go into the game, being that people have a lot more to go on by then.
----------------------------------------
I am Lotsofgoats and I approve this message.
[May 26, 2012 3:51:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
DementedDuck

Member's Avatar


Joined: Mar 31, 2006
Posts: 3153
Status: Offline
Re: ROMS: (DC)XV -- GAME ON Reply to this Post
Reply with Quote

I meant it more like voting for the sake of getting a lynch when you have "nothing better to go on" is better later on in the game than it is at this point. It's more understandable to be willing to vote for someone you have no read on when there's nobody you think is suspicious, especially if the alternative is letting the town lynch someone you specifically think may be innocent.
----------------------------------------
Evilduck/Superduck.
Emerald, Cerulean, and that other one.
Now in Obsidian flavour.

I record puzzles.
[May 26, 2012 3:54:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Yasmi6

Member's Avatar


Joined: Aug 14, 2010
Posts: 1100
Status: Offline
Re: ROMS: (DC)XV -- GAME ON Reply to this Post
Reply with Quote

DD wrote:

 
I meant it more like voting for the sake of getting a lynch when you have "nothing better to go on" is better later on in the game than it is at this point. It's more understandable to be willing to vote for someone you have no read on when there's nobody you think is suspicious, especially if the alternative is letting the town lynch someone you specifically think may be innocent.



I absolutely feel the same way here. Though there has been plenty of "action" in day one I dont feel there is enough to biuld a case on.
----------------------------------------
Yasmi on Meridian
Yasmi/Ayani on all oceans
Captain of Lilith's Perfume
Princess of Imperial Coalition
(ex-Queen of Devils Advocates)

Avatar by Cattrin

Better to reign in Hell, than to serve in Heaven...
[May 26, 2012 4:19:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
smileo

Member's Avatar


Joined: Aug 28, 2006
Posts: 1635
Status: Offline
Re: ROMS: (DC)XV -- GAME ON Reply to this Post
Reply with Quote

Jokerina wrote: 
I don't like smileo's "Day 1 sucks!" stance and then offering no alternative


I do have an alternative to offer, I wish Id thought of it before.

We should all talk back and forth to one another, challenge one another, raise eyebrows, ask questions, and point fingers. Take down notes of anything you find suspicious and when you think you have found a rogue, vote for them.
Im not suggesting a change in how we play, but moreso in the necessity to vote even without a real target. Day 1 discussion is pivotal to getting off the block on the right foot. The information we get from that IS useable but on its own it lacks substance. We dont get anywhere by using the information we DO get the way that we have been in the habit of doing.

Rather than leap on the first thing said that doesnt sit right, notch it in your notepad but dont be so hasty with the vote, thats what my problem is, you need more information than one questionable action that could have any number of variable reasons. trends and patterns are far more reliable than isolated mistakes.

Use the system, watchlist, FOS and if someone really stands out as a potential rogue, then vote. I see too many instavotes because people seem to think it as an absolute.

The extra day for every 2 lynches is not a reason to abstain, but it lessens the damage of a missed lynch. The day we gain could be invaluable later on when we have much more information however we have to find the balance.

What im saying is

Talk a lot
Gather suspicion
Goats
Share your FOS lists and watchlists with the town
Vote when you think you have found a potential rogue.
If you dont think you have a strong arguement, dont feel you need to see someone lynched to appease the kill hungries.

Sleep for now, but more tomorrow. My abstain stands for now.
----------------------------------------
'Tis not true, that I are psychologically challenged
I prefers the term "Mentally Hilarious"

Smiley
Could very well be a rogue.
[May 26, 2012 4:33:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
taelac

Member's Avatar


Joined: Sep 17, 2005
Posts: 3762
Status: Offline
Re: ROMS: (DC)XV -- GAME ON Reply to this Post
Reply with Quote

Is anyone else vaguely amused that we ended up having the abstain/don't abstain argument anyway? No? Okay, just me, then...
----------------------------------------
~Taelac
ROMS XVII:Vanilla Filler
Dead Thread
[May 26, 2012 5:28:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nalanthi



Joined: Apr 12, 2004
Posts: 982
Status: Offline

Re: ROMS: (DC)XV -- GAME ON Reply to this Post
Reply with Quote

setsusa wrote: 
Well, in regards to those players and it was the general impression I got from Abiona last game, and Lyaka the game before. Hiatus -> return -> EVERYONE IS A ROGUE FOR FLIMSY REASON Y. Nalanthi could fall into the above group as well, I don't see "Yeah, wife, Leif does seem like a rogue" as playing.
Huh? are you saying that I have been calling people a rogue for flimsy reasons? I've watchlisted one person and I'm glancing at a few others so far.... are you saying I could be sock-puppeted by Lyaka?

For the record, I have only ever played scum games in person before. But some of them were played on an extended day night cycle while at camp.
----------------------------------------
Nalanthi - A Blatant PvPer, War Monger and Officer of the Falcon's Fury.
-Midnight (Retired)
Tamman - Head of a Merchant Empire, and Strategist of Black Plague
-Viridian (Retired)
Nalanthi - Mercenary and scalawag.
-Malachite
[May 26, 2012 5:29:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Luvessy

Member's Avatar


Joined: Dec 1, 2003
Posts: 2666
Status: Offline
Re: ROMS: (DC)XV -- GAME ON Reply to this Post
Reply with Quote

Good evenin'

I see that there were a few questions raised since I was last speaking, so I reckon I should start with these.

Mr. Nalanthi, you be saying that you have a mighty hard time understanding my meaning. I ask if there be something specific that you are wonderin' about, as I do try to be pretty straight forward with what I'm sayin'. Let me know what it is that is troublin' ya and I'll do my best to help you out. Do try that reading aloud advice that was offered. Or just slow down and enjoy a nice lemonade while you think it over.

Ms. Lassie, I do agree that those folk hiding in the shadows need a watching, but my problem is that I'm not seeing as how you came to your list. You say it's from your notes, but I reckon a list of "no impression" would need to come from the player list. And, yes, I am troubled that it left off folk like myself and Searmin and some others, quiet all the same.
For the time being, I'm right curious to watch what you might be up to.

Mr. Master, I hear you that names get twisted up in one's head - I sometimes struggle myself. But I am curious how it is that you were messing up Ms. Prosperity and me, as I'd been quiet for a bit. Just makes me think that you likely had something on your mind to cause that mix-up. There's that vote confusion earlier, too, so if nothing else it's probly fair to say you're being a bit sloppy. Don't know what I make of that.

Ms. Randomact, my thinking wasn't that you're the most suspicious of all the people talking about Ms. Phoenyx (or Ms. Phoe herself) per se, but it's that of Phoenyx and yourself, well, I reckon that calling out her question as something suspicious is itself something right notable. You see, I figure that on face value, an innocent is more likely to be interested in how the night actions work, as the innocents are more likely to be working alone while them rogue-folk likely have others they can count out. So, if that's the case, why then it's two things doing when you point it out - one is bringing a potential roleholder/item-holder up to the surface and attention for scrutiny; the second is potentially setting up a potential roleholder/item-holder for a lynching. So I just say this - just because something isn't a good idea for an innocent to be doing, why that don't mean than an innocent won't be doing that very thing.
Phaedra wrote: 
I don't think it means that she's a rogue, but I do think it means Phoe has night actions.

This right here is the thing I'm saying that innocent folk ought not be saying. The innocents should be out hunting for them rogue-folk and them rogue-folk ought to stay at home all day wearing easily spotted hats (but I reckon it's more likely they be trying to figure out how to get the rest of us kicking that there bucket.) Now, we could go off arguing that if any of us spots something like that, well, the rogue-folk will too, but I'd rather avoid helping them out, ya?


One more thing to Misters Quitex and JM-
Are the abstain votes counting to the 50%? I read over how to vote a few times and I'm not sure whether this is a rule or if it's just an assumption that some folk have.


So, that's where my thoughts are. I don't have much conclusive and I don't know that I have someone who strikes me a rogue just yet.

It does strike me that Ms. Yasmi's last thoughts are really saying a whole lot. Ms. Yasmi commented on Mrbriney before but left that non-conclusive.
I'm not sure just what Mr. AhoyLindsay is seeing about Ms. Jokerina but I don't reckon I see non-committal as too conclusive just yet.
Ms. Furare's vote I aren't agreeing with none, but the lady and I have been arguing over this no lynch question for years, so I don't know that there's much for me to be saying to her in that campaign.
I don't reckon I'm much bothered by a single gut vote that gets a whole lot of attention but not real feet. Problem with gut votes is that you can't really argue against 'em and they don't really get others looking that away.

Well, suppertime calls. Happy hunting, y'all.
----------------------------------------
--Mistymate


(Avatar by Sancha.)
[May 26, 2012 5:30:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
RogueQuitex

Member's Avatar


Joined: May 2, 2012
Posts: 132
Status: Offline
Re: ROMS: (DC)XV -- GAME ON Reply to this Post
Reply with Quote

 
Are the abstain votes counting to the 50%? I read over how to vote a few times and I'm not sure whether this is a rule or if it's just an assumption that some folk have.


Abstain votes are, actually, votes. They count towards the 50%.
----------------------------------------
Co-Moderating ROMS DCXV with Rogue_JM
(ROMS XV: DC)

I'm full of the evilz.
BANZORZ!
[May 26, 2012 5:42:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lotsofgoats

Member's Avatar


Joined: Apr 4, 2005
Posts: 10163
Status: Offline
Re: ROMS: (DC)XV -- GAME ON Reply to this Post
Reply with Quote

taelac wrote: 
Is anyone else vaguely amused that we ended up having the abstain/don't abstain argument anyway? No? Okay, just me, then...

I dunno, I'm more caught up in the "do as I say, not as I do" lesson in there >_>
----------------------------------------
I am Lotsofgoats and I approve this message.
[May 26, 2012 5:45:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
lyaka

Member's Avatar


Joined: Apr 6, 2005
Posts: 1078
Status: Offline
Re: ROMS: (DC)XV -- GAME ON Reply to this Post
Reply with Quote

Goats wrote: 
So basically I'm left with Lyaka saying, "no u!" to what I've said about riku.


::rolls eyes:: Not 'no u'. I was pointing out the contradiction in your words. I also point out that the parallel is not exact, as you do go on to expand further, and your argument is not entirely gut.

The point is that none of us are exempt from "gut". We all have feelings, to borrow a phrase. The difference is how well we dress those feelings up with arguments.

Oh, good, it's time to argue with Tae. It's not a ROMS game until I argue with Tae. [/noreally]

Taelac wrote: 
Lyaka wrote: 
Goats wrote: 
I know that riku is generally playing defense lawyer in many arguments made in the game, but this one seems off.

That's kind of a gut feeling right there, isn't it? The bit I just quoted is the beginning of Goats' post, and he goes on to talk about a few other things, but I find it significant that his opening argument is a gut-based suspicion on a player who defended gut-based votes.

The rest of that post goes on to explain what specifically about Riku's behavior Goats finds off. That's not a vote based on gut, it's based on an interpretation of actually cited evidence of actions Riku has actually taken in the thread. I'm curious why you chose to disregard the rest of the post in order to make this argument, since it falls to straw as soon as you look at the very next sentence.


Look at that again. I am not disregarding the rest of the post. I go so far as to mention the rest of his post AND give it credit for being about non-gut-related stuff. I then go on to explain that I am specifically citing the fact that gut-related portion of his post occurs first. Not only, just first. And that I find that significant. The fact that the gut part is mentioned first is in no way invalidated by the very next sentence, unless the next sentence is somehow capable of time-traveling to make itself the first sentence after the fact in some crazy way. [/a joke]

Taelac wrote: 
I don't necessarily agree with the interpretation, because I don't really see a rogue Riku being so...energetic...in his defense of either a fellow rogue or a player he's trying to use for FoI. Riku's pretty well hitched to Mrbriney at this point, and if either turns up rogue, it's likely to go badly for the other--something rogue Riku would have to know. I can see how Goats might come to a different conclusion than I have at this point, though.


This is a fair point, but I've seen people dodge that sort of hitching before. I continue to think the whole interaction merits watchfulness.

------------------------

Oooh, I've been voted! The ROMS game has officially begun :) It's fun to trace my evolution as a player among this community. In the early days, I was voted for being too persuasive, such as the time of the infamous doubel lynch. Then later, I was voted for being too aggressive and vocal, such as in the times when Sasha and I were having regular knock-down drag-out fights in forum threads. These days, I'm being voted for being... wait for it...

AhoyLindsay wrote: 
She's been sticking to noninflammatory meta things, like item strategy and whether there are neutral factions


Oh dear, really? Well, at least the above should counter some of that.

AhoyLindsay wrote: 
She's been pretty calm so far


Well, I'm not going back to the Lyaka who took this game too personally, got hurt, had major tartfests with other longtime players, and eventually stormed out of the community for a three-year hiatus to get her head on straight. Sorry.

I realize that you haven't played with me since those days, but I respectfully submit that it's been quite a long time, and I would like to think I have experienced some measure of personal growth.

------------------------

#Vote: Abstain

I haven't logged enough time in the thread to make a coherent decision as to whom to vote. However, there have been a lot of posts, and a lot of those posts have been meat. I don't find it improbable that enough suspicion has accrued on one person to make them worth voting, and I firmly believe that the town cannot win if the town does not lynch, so I will raise my hand and be counted.
----------------------------------------
Furare wrote: 
...disagreeing with you always feels pretty indistinguishable from being wrong.


Talisker wrote: 
...it's actually a Lyakarchy.

[May 26, 2012 6:37:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
NotJaret

Member's Avatar


Joined: Mar 9, 2012
Posts: 246
Status: Offline
Re: ROMS: (DC)XV -- GAME ON Reply to this Post
Reply with Quote

#vote dwizzles

Lil jmt

Lil gut

Lil lack of posting

On my phone, son for lack of wall of text :(
----------------------------------------
Jaret of Hunter Emerald
[May 26, 2012 6:46:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
NotJaret

Member's Avatar


Joined: Mar 9, 2012
Posts: 246
Status: Offline
Re: ROMS: (DC)XV -- GAME ON Reply to this Post
Reply with Quote

Wow, auto correct stinks, mind that last bit it was supposed to say sorry for lack of wall of text
----------------------------------------
Jaret of Hunter Emerald
[May 26, 2012 6:47:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
JMRUDNICK

Member's Avatar


Joined: Aug 3, 2008
Posts: 173
Status: Offline
Re: ROMS: (DC)XV -- GAME ON Reply to this Post
Reply with Quote

Well it's not valid either... it's not bold.
----------------------------------------
JeanneMarie of Obsidian
Formerly of Meridian
Captain of Lion's Roar
Princess of Placeholder
[May 26, 2012 6:52:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
phaedra6

Member's Avatar


Joined: May 21, 2005
Posts: 161
Status: Offline
Re: ROMS: (DC)XV -- GAME ON Reply to this Post
Reply with Quote

Luvessy wrote: 
This right here is the thing I'm saying that innocent folk ought not be saying. The innocents should be out hunting for them rogue-folk and them rogue-folk ought to stay at home all day wearing easily spotted hats (but I reckon it's more likely they be trying to figure out how to get the rest of us kicking that there bucket.) Now, we could go off arguing that if any of us spots something like that, well, the rogue-folk will too, but I'd rather avoid helping them out, ya?


Hey, hey, I was just summarizing points that have been made long before I turned up, and adding my own opinion on the issue. All that stuff's been said already, or at least directly hinted at. I don't think there was any original and new content in that sentence, so please don't make it look like I did something awful and silly.
----------------------------------------
Disappear

Formerly and occasionally lurking around as Phaedra
SO of False Pretense
 
Bunnyspawn says, "Well, Dis, you have finally convinced me of your loss of innocence."
Bunnyspawn says, "I am frightened."

[May 26, 2012 7:03:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
taelac

Member's Avatar


Joined: Sep 17, 2005
Posts: 3762
Status: Offline
Re: ROMS: (DC)XV -- GAME ON Reply to this Post
Reply with Quote

Lyaka wrote: 
Oh, good, it's time to argue with Tae. It's not a ROMS game until I argue with Tae. [/noreally]

Happy to oblige.

Lyaka wrote: 
Taelac wrote: 
Lyaka wrote: 
Goats wrote: 
I know that riku is generally playing defense lawyer in many arguments made in the game, but this one seems off.

That's kind of a gut feeling right there, isn't it? The bit I just quoted is the beginning of Goats' post, and he goes on to talk about a few other things, but I find it significant that his opening argument is a gut-based suspicion on a player who defended gut-based votes.

The rest of that post goes on to explain what specifically about Riku's behavior Goats finds off. That's not a vote based on gut, it's based on an interpretation of actually cited evidence of actions Riku has actually taken in the thread. I'm curious why you chose to disregard the rest of the post in order to make this argument, since it falls to straw as soon as you look at the very next sentence.

Look at that again. I am not disregarding the rest of the post. I go so far as to mention the rest of his post AND give it credit for being about non-gut-related stuff. I then go on to explain that I am specifically citing the fact that gut-related portion of his post occurs first. Not only, just first. And that I find that significant. The fact that the gut part is mentioned first is in no way invalidated by the very next sentence, unless the next sentence is somehow capable of time-traveling to make itself the first sentence after the fact in some crazy way. [/a joke]

The rest of the post means that the first sentence wasn't a gut part at all -- it was an introduction for the very not-gut based rest of the post. It could have come at the end and been a conclusion based on the presented evidence instead of an introduction, but it is in no way separate from the rest of the paragraph it opens. It's "this is off because of this stuff" not "this is off and this other stuff."

Unrelated, I'm not sure what to make of NotJaret's vote on Dwizzles. I think I'd just like to hear more from that quarter overall.

Do we have a wiki, yet?
----------------------------------------
~Taelac
ROMS XVII:Vanilla Filler
Dead Thread
[May 26, 2012 7:44:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
taelac

Member's Avatar


Joined: Sep 17, 2005
Posts: 3762
Status: Offline
Re: ROMS: (DC)XV -- GAME ON Reply to this Post
Reply with Quote

Apparently not...I'll sketch one in.
----------------------------------------
~Taelac
ROMS XVII:Vanilla Filler
Dead Thread
[May 26, 2012 7:54:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
AhoyLindsay

Member's Avatar


Joined: Sep 9, 2005
Posts: 3063
Status: Offline
Re: ROMS: (DC)XV -- GAME ON Reply to this Post
Reply with Quote

Here's the thing with Jokerina. It's not that she's noncommital (on suspicions, not necessarily on meta) or that she doesn't want to vote yet, it's that the early phrases I pointed out seemed to be intentionally those things.
Lyaka wrote: 
Oooh, I've been voted! The ROMS game has officially begun :) It's fun to trace my evolution as a player among this community. In the early days, I was voted for being too persuasive, such as the time of the infamous doubel lynch. Then later, I was voted for being too aggressive and vocal, such as in the times when Sasha and I were having regular knock-down drag-out fights in forum threads. These days, I'm being voted for being... wait for it...
This isn't even countering my argument, it's just making fun of it. :P Anyway, there you go: if you're generally seen as vocal, aggressive, and persuasive, it's hardly strange that I feel something is amiss when you are quiet and abstract.
 
I realize that you haven't played with me since those days, but I respectfully submit that it's been quite a long time, and I would like to think I have experienced some measure of personal growth.
For certain. I didn't mean it that way at all and I wouldn't expect that playstyle-I just wouldn't expect this one either.

Miss Luvessy, I must say your recent mannerisms of speakin' remind me a fair bit of some cowgirl from out West, and for that reason I was thinkin' it'd be a right nice rhyme if we were to call you Luvessy Jessie.
----------------------------------------
Castawayjoe of the Midnight Ocean.
To err is human, but to arr is pirate.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Catharsis on Cobalt and Malachite.
[May 26, 2012 8:00:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
taelac

Member's Avatar


Joined: Sep 17, 2005
Posts: 3762
Status: Offline
Re: ROMS: (DC)XV -- GAME ON Reply to this Post
Reply with Quote

Wiki. It's also in my signature now.

We're about 10 hours to deadline. Off to tally votes.
----------------------------------------
~Taelac
ROMS XVII:Vanilla Filler
Dead Thread
[May 26, 2012 8:20:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
taelac

Member's Avatar


Joined: Sep 17, 2005
Posts: 3762
Status: Offline
Re: ROMS: (DC)XV -- GAME ON Reply to this Post
Reply with Quote

Okay, wiki's up to date. Smileo, Firebolt, Kotetsu, Riku, and Lyaka have one vote each, and Abstain has two.

I have a couple of minor suspicions, but nothing that really feels like a reason to vote, yet.

See y'all on the flip side.
----------------------------------------
~Taelac
ROMS XVII:Vanilla Filler
Dead Thread
[May 26, 2012 8:38:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Talisker

Member's Avatar


Joined: Jul 24, 2003
Posts: 11261
Status: Offline
Re: ROMS: (DC)XV -- GAME ON Reply to this Post
Reply with Quote

Been travelling today and haven't had a chance to read most of todays posts through well. One thing that struck me reading initially was Smiley going retaliatory. He seems to have watchlisted me after I posted about him, he FoS'd Furare after her vote. Watchlisting here.

Likewise Master.
Furare wrote: 
I'm not sure why people were bothered by Master saying things that don't make much sense.

There was a point Friday where I felt like he was pretty much straight out inventing stuff, from a pretty clear misinterpretation of MrB's "real life excuses" statement to the whole "pressure vote" thing.

Phoe is still riding high at low FoS.

Nalanthi wrote: 
Furare wrote: 
On my vote - I decided before the game even started that I was going to vote the first person who voted Abstain.
Now it seems odd yo me that you would pick smileo to be your vote. Sure he voted abstain, but there were three people who stated that they were planning to abstain but thought that actually voting abstain was a weird way to show this. These people were in order, Phoe, Setsusa, and then me. I in fact made one of the strongest case, for the day one abstention and you haven't actually called any of us out at all. If it bothers you so much why are you only going after one person?


This was weird to me, it seemed like trying hard to generate some reason for questioning. "I'm going to vote for whomever first votes abstain!" "Well why didn't you vote for these people who didn't vote abstain?" He later riffs on this some and elaborates, but the foundation of a lot of it seems based on that basic exchange. He the says she seems innocent
Nal wrote: 
you just seem to read as pissed of innocent

And watchlists. It strikes me as leaving the door open for later. So I'm watchlisting.

As of now, I remain amused by AL.

FoS: Phoe
Watch: Smiley, Master, Nalanthi.

#vote:Phoenyxstar
----------------------------------------
Leif
The Forums
Gunnermooch wrote: 
I can't respond because I do not understand what the hell you are talking about. Sorry.

Av by Ecastasy
[May 26, 2012 9:11:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Setsusa

Member's Avatar


Joined: Dec 29, 2007
Posts: 3819
Status: Offline
Re: ROMS: (DC)XV -- GAME ON Reply to this Post
Reply with Quote

 
setsusa wrote: 
Well, in regards to those players and it was the general impression I got from Abiona last game, and Lyaka the game before. Hiatus -> return -> EVERYONE IS A ROGUE FOR FLIMSY REASON Y. Nalanthi could fall into the above group as well, I don't see "Yeah, wife, Leif does seem like a rogue" as playing.


Huh? are you saying that I have been calling people a rogue for flimsy reasons? I've watchlisted one person and I'm glancing at a few others so far.... are you saying I could be sock-puppeted by Lyaka?

For the record, I have only ever played scum games in person before. But some of them were played on an extended day night cycle while at camp.


No, I was saying that you also fall into the group of people who are playing in a game after a lengthy hiatus and could be considered in the subset that Marinated provided. Noted that you were left out, but I don't think it really says anything about Marinated other than "he forgot someone". Since I've only played since DBF, where Lyaka said basically "Leif, you're a rogue, and Nalanthi thinks so too", and that's all I've seen of you - I don't consider that as you playing, therefore you have had a lengthy hiatus from what I know.

I actually think you and Lyaka fighting to the death in a jelly pit is more likely than you being sock puppeted by her.

Re: Leif: Good to hear that bacon time is sacred.

Re: Master - It was random order, but yeah, bacon -> master is my thought process.
----------------------------------------
Cremate on Emerald.
Motou on Meridian.
Avatar by Elfeesh.
[May 26, 2012 9:40:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Bunnylaroo

Member's Avatar


Joined: Jan 4, 2008
Posts: 898
Status: Offline
Re: ROMS: (DC)XV -- GAME ON Reply to this Post
Reply with Quote

Ok so this is the third time today I've tried to sit down and post, hopefully I won't be interrupted this round. They say the third time's a charm...

What is disturbing me the most thus far is Furare's vote. I just can't wrap my head around the fact that you picked a policy prior to the game starting that you intend to stick with to prove a point, regardless of what is going on in the thread. Surely we should be voting the people we're suspicious of, not the ones who are the first to do something we don't particularly like. I understand the benefit of having information from lynches, especially in light of the way that the town stagnated after the succession of missed lynches in High Security. I just don't think lynching based on policy rather than suspicion is going to help the town win.

I'm disturbed by this, not just because I don't agree with the strategy, but also because it's something that comes off as being very pro-town, i.e. "stamping out harmful/undesirable attitudes so we can settle down to the business of catching rogues", while actually not contributing to the business of catching rogues. You're not gunning for rogues, you're gunning for whoever abstains first.

If I came out and said, "I decided, prior to the game starting, that I would vote for the first player who forgets to attribute a quote, because the town needs to lynch and we've got to start somewhere, and I find unattributed quotes irritating," I imagine that everyone playing would jump down my throat for having an arbitrary, unhelpful voting strategy. Trouble is, I don't see how "vote for the first abstainer" is any less arbitrary or any more helpful.

That said, it's obviously an issue Furare feels strongly about, so I could be misinterpreting it, but I'm going to go with a watchlist there.

In other news:
I think Luv brought this up already, but I don't understand how Master confused Prosperity and Luvessy...I guess they both end in y? Watching here as well.

The Tae v. Briney --> Riku v. Tae --> Goats v. Riku --> Lyaka v. Goats --> Tae v. Lyaka thing has now come full circle and I've forgotten what started you guys poking at each other to begin with...

...oh yeah the gut vote, and whether a gut vote can be justified. I think that's a lot of people entangled in one little gut vote (which he did justify, however unsatisfactorily). Interesting that the trigger which started the loop of poking (briney) is now pretty much out of the loop...

Since a Watchlist is not enough to prompt a vote from me, I'm not voting. I'll maybe be back before deadline.

Preview edit: And sets TOTALLY forgot to attribute a quote in the his post I just saw on preview...although he wasn't the first. Must...resist...urge...to...enact...hypocritical....policy....
----------------------------------------
Bunnylaroo of Sage Emerald

Avatar by Pennywhistle
[May 26, 2012 9:57:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Mousebait

Member's Avatar


Joined: Oct 25, 2007
Posts: 140
Status: Offline
Re: ROMS: (DC)XV -- GAME ON Reply to this Post
Reply with Quote

I've loved reading all this discussion. What an awesome day 1!

I said early on that I'd most likely be voting for someone who wasn't contributing much. Usually day 1 there isn't much to go on. I will not be voting today at all because there are no inactives, I have no strong suspicion, and thus far I'm happy with the contributions of all. I will not make it back before the deadline.

May I point out that since an abstain counts toward the vote tally, those who do so are in effect voting for anyone. If you don't wish to vote for an individual and you don't want to lynch, don't vote.
----------------------------------------
"I shall try to correct errors when shown to be errors, and I shall adopt new views as fast they shall appear to be true views." -Abraham Lincoln

I'm the cheese.
[May 26, 2012 10:36:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
riku743

Member's Avatar


Joined: Jan 19, 2009
Posts: 1812
Status: Offline
Re: ROMS: (DC)XV -- GAME ON Reply to this Post
Reply with Quote

Mousebait wrote: 
I said early on that I'd most likely be voting for someone who wasn't contributing much. Usually day 1 there isn't much to go on. I will not be voting today at all because there are no inactives, I have no strong suspicion, and thus far I'm happy with the contributions of all.

Yes, most people have contributed to toDay's discussion. Most. One comes to mind who hasn't at all, except to come in at the end and say "Yay, go team!".
----------------------------------------
Nil used to play Mala.
Lurking on the forums.
[May 26, 2012 10:43:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Setsusa

Member's Avatar


Joined: Dec 29, 2007
Posts: 3819
Status: Offline
Re: ROMS: (DC)XV -- GAME ON Reply to this Post
Reply with Quote

Tired me wrote: 
Nalanthi wrote: 
setsusa wrote: 
Well, in regards to those players and it was the general impression I got from Abiona last game, and Lyaka the game before. Hiatus -> return -> EVERYONE IS A ROGUE FOR FLIMSY REASON Y. Nalanthi could fall into the above group as well, I don't see "Yeah, wife, Leif does seem like a rogue" as playing.


Huh? are you saying that I have been calling people a rogue for flimsy reasons? I've watchlisted one person and I'm glancing at a few others so far.... are you saying I could be sock-puppeted by Lyaka?

For the record, I have only ever played scum games in person before. But some of them were played on an extended day night cycle while at camp.


No, I was saying that you also fall into the group of people who are playing in a game after a lengthy hiatus and could be considered in the subset that Marinated provided. Noted that you were left out, but I don't think it really says anything about Marinated other than "he forgot someone". Since I've only played since DBF, where Lyaka said basically "Leif, you're a rogue, and Nalanthi thinks so too", and that's all I've seen of you - I don't consider that as you playing, therefore you have had a lengthy hiatus from what I know.

I actually think you and Lyaka fighting to the death in a jelly pit is more likely than you being sock puppeted by her.

Re: Leif: Good to hear that bacon time is sacred.

Re: Master - It was random order, but yeah, bacon -> master is my thought process.


Guh, sorry.
----------------------------------------
Cremate on Emerald.
Motou on Meridian.
Avatar by Elfeesh.
[May 26, 2012 10:53:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
riku743

Member's Avatar


Joined: Jan 19, 2009
Posts: 1812
Status: Offline
Re: ROMS: (DC)XV -- GAME ON Reply to this Post
Reply with Quote

Actually, the more I think about that, the more it bothers me. You say here (6 hours into the game) that you will be most likely voting someone who is lurking or idle because you think rogues tend to be those people. It's warning them where the trap will be before you set it, which makes the trap useless. Rogues are trying to not get caught significantly more than townies are. Rogues will see you saying "Hey guys, if any of you do this, I'll vote you!". Rogues will then not do that. Townies, who aren't paying attention to not getting caught as much, will be much more likely to get caught in your trap. If you were using this solely to try and discourage lurking/idling, then it would be less of an issue. However, you seem to be trying to catch a rogue with it. That won't work. If you weren't trying to catch a rogue, and you're just trying to discourage that behaviour, maybe you should start with leading by example.

FoS.
----------------------------------------
Nil used to play Mala.
Lurking on the forums.
[May 27, 2012 12:05:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Yasmi6

Member's Avatar


Joined: Aug 14, 2010
Posts: 1100
Status: Offline
Re: ROMS: (DC)XV -- GAME ON Reply to this Post
Reply with Quote

Mouse said:
 
I've loved reading all this discussion. What an awesome day 1!

I said early on that I'd most likely be voting for someone who wasn't contributing much. Usually day 1 there isn't much to go on. I will not be voting today at all because there are no inactives, I have no strong suspicion, and thus far I'm happy with the contributions of all. I will not make it back before the deadline.

May I point out that since an abstain counts toward the vote tally, those who do so are in effect voting for anyone. If you don't wish to vote for an individual and you don't want to lynch, don't vote.


Yes it was an awesome day one, too bad you missed most of it....


Like Riku has already pointed out, you threated to be voting for someone iddle or lurking but then did it yourself and now you re even gonne until the end of the day. Know what? I do not like that attitude or maybe it's just my morning sickness playing up.

I think Mouse is just setting up his or her own bait....
(wtf is the harsh tag here????)


#vote: Mousebait
----------------------------------------
Yasmi on Meridian
Yasmi/Ayani on all oceans
Captain of Lilith's Perfume
Princess of Imperial Coalition
(ex-Queen of Devils Advocates)

Avatar by Cattrin

Better to reign in Hell, than to serve in Heaven...
[May 27, 2012 12:36:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 2964   Pages: 99   [ First Page | Previous Page | 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates