• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 2
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 813 times and has 1 reply Next Thread
Franklincain

intersect categories - how? Reply to this Post

Since this may well be a complicated discussion, I'm posting this here on the Forums instead of in the relevant Talk page(s) on the YPPedia... ;-)

I want to know how to link to an INTERSECTION of two Categories; i.e. I want to generate a "category" of whatever pages fall into BOTH of the Categories in question. For my specific example, I refer to this blurb from my Pirate's page:

While his primary house is a shack on the island of Tigerleaf Mountain, he appears to have an obsession with acquiring additional shacks on every island having them...

Now, I've currently included a link to this Category page:
http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Category:Islands_with_shacks
But this lists all Shack-equipped Islands from all Oceans (not just Meridian). I'd prefer to limit this link to those Shack-equipped Islands in Meridian; i.e., I'd like to limit my linking to those Islands from that first Category to those which also appear in this Category as well:
http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Category:Meridian_Ocean_islands

Question: Is this possible? If so, how? (And, how easily?)

Please note, I am not asking to create a new Category, resulting the the mass editing of all the Islands. That would just be dumb. :-P I'm looking for some clever, already-existing method of using the Wiki code as it exists. ;-)

Thanks!!

Edit:

I found this page on Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Category_intersection

According to that page, the "incategory:" term should be working (presuming YPPedia runs off MediaWiki), but when I try using it for my example above, it doesn't work. :-P

Edit #2:

Worst case scenario, I can always just resort to using Google... :-/
----------------------------------------
Franklin W. Cain (Pirate FranklinCain on Meridian and other Oceans)
----------------------------------------
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Franklincain at May 18, 2012 8:47:13 AM]
[May 18, 2012 8:12:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Belthazar451

Re: intersect categories - how? Reply to this Post

Franklincain wrote: 
According to that page, the "incategory:" term should be working (presuming YPPedia runs off MediaWiki), but when I try using it for my example above, it doesn't work. :-P

Not every MediaWiki feature available on wikipedia is available here. Also:
That wikipedia page wrote: 
This method will only work for categories which have been directly entered into articles ... not where categories are assigned through templates

[May 18, 2012 3:35:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates