• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 10
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 7333 times and has 9 replies Next Thread
mago515

What is the games population like? Reply to this Post

Ok, I played Puzzle Pirates YEARS ago. I can't even remember how long, but its been quite awhile. I like puzzles, I like pirates, so I've decided to sit down and start playing.

I haven't logged into the game yet, and I won't until I switch off my laptop, but my concern is game population. I plan on sailing in one of the subscriber oceans, but which one should I go too? I would prefer the most popular.

And second, when I played, the BIG thing to do was find someone, get on there ship, and sail, while fighting other ships. It seemed like this is what most people did, almost 100% of the time, what kind of things go on now?
[May 4, 2012 2:38:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ranker1

Re: What is the games population like? Reply to this Post

Howdy there,

With the recent ocean merges, there is now only one Subscriber ocean - Cerulean - which current population stands at an average of around 400 (I believe?) If you are looking for a large ocean, I would suggest either of Meridian or Emerald, as their populations stand at around double that on a usual basis, and they also don't require you to pay a subscription to play.

In regards to what people do, pillaging (the thing which you described) still remains a large part of the game, but with the additions of Atlantis, Cursed Islands and Haunted Seas, the population is more spread between the 4 different activities rather than pillaging containing most activity. This means it's harder for a larger ship (over a brig) to fill, but there is more variety for the average jobber.

There is also a lot of people playing poker, meaning that I'd estimate about 25% of the online population remaining on-shore at any given time.
----------------------------------------
Ranker on Meridian.

Super.
[May 4, 2012 2:47:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
mago515

Ok, so the two oceans that you mention, are they doubloon style oceans? I was never quite interested in those, please elaborate :)
[May 4, 2012 2:55:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ranker1

Yeah, both of them use the doubloon system. If you're looking for a large population they're the place to be, and you would have to take the hit of using doubloons. If you aren't overly bothered about the population's size, I'm sure that the old hands in Cerulean would be delighted to have you join them.
Ranker on Meridian.

Super.
[May 4, 2012 3:00:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
mago515

Ok, I don't think doubloons would be a problem. I did read up a little but on the YPPedia about them just now.

So, I now have another question about them. You purchase doubloons, then I assume you purchase things with them, like ships, weapons, clothes, ect. Is the entire economy based around them then? Or are PoE still used for shopping?
[May 4, 2012 3:08:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ranker1

PoE and doubloons work in tandem. Example, ordering a sloop. 6,000 PoE and 20 doubloons (about) - you place the order using the poe, and then deliver the sloop with the doubloons. This gives you time to accumulate the amount of doubloons needed whilst the ship is being built.

There are two ways of purchasing doubloons. By them using real life money (there are deals in game and I believe they can be found on this website as well) and you can buy them using PoE. The current rate on Emerald is about 2,500 PoE to 1 doubloon, but that is higher than usual due to the recent release of gold boxes (12 doubloons to a box and you get a random surprise ranging from a trinket to a familiar).

Doubloons are essential to purchasing goods, but doubloons are directly related to the amount of PoE swimming around in the ocean, and how much demand the playerbase has for them at the given time. Doubloons are not given out in ship payouts when you win a battle - they are only purchaseable using PoE and real life money.
Ranker on Meridian.

Super.
[May 4, 2012 3:17:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
mago515

Ok, thanks for all the help, you have cleared up a lot of confusion for me.
[May 4, 2012 3:24:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ranker1

Anytime
Ranker on Meridian.

Super.
[May 4, 2012 3:27:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ShoyuLite

Also wanted to point out that Doubloons are used for badges, which is a very important difference from sub oceans. You need doubloons to buy officer, labor and bravery badges, which unlock certain game play and content. You can find more details by researching the wiki.
Soulchild on Malachite + Viridian = Meridian

Seriously, unicorns and dragons? How's a pirate monkey going to compete with the Wizarding World of Puzzle Pirates Mages?
[May 5, 2012 12:00:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Smartysmoker

Sub oceans are much simpler. =p
You don't have delivery fees and other pains dubs cause
Happyjoey Cerulean (Cobalt native),
Captain of "For Noobs" (The Best Crew in the Ocean) =p,
and King of "Knee Deep"
[May 13, 2012 4:33:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates