• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 32
Posts: 32   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 8767 times and has 31 replies Next Thread
DaneT

Choices that could've changed your Y!PP career. Reply to this Post

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood
and sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveller, long I stood
and looked down one as far as I could
to where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
and having perhaps the better claim
because it was grassy and wanted wear;
though as for that, the passing there
had worn them really about the same.

Back when my time on the forums was no more then forum ether, (that time lasted a while, really) I found myself having a lot of fun reading and following the guys of Midnight Parley, the politricks and the nature of a puzzling MMO drawing me into the game in the first place. There was many people, but the ones I noticed the most were mainly from NF and CT. So, when I eventually got into the game, I approached both to join, as I had friends from the forums from both.

In the end, NF ended up being quicker and the rest is pirating history.
But, had things gone differently, I would've been a CT man, probably to this day.

So, pirates of Y!PP, what were the choices you made that changed your time in the game? Would they have made a big difference to you, or even the ocean at large? Any choices you regret?

Edit: I think the first sentence in crew I read in NF was "Whitefire says: Who on Earth let that guy in?" So welcoming. :D
----------------------------------------
It has been said, my friends, that I like war. My friends, I like War. No...I LOVE WAR!

Danet - An old salt of Y!PP, but not the oldest by a long shot.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by DaneT at May 3, 2012 6:27:32 PM]
[May 3, 2012 6:18:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
darkseid

Re: Choices that could've changed your Y!PP career. Reply to this Post

I decided to leave the small crews/flags to join the political blockading side as I have no experience with it.

I've not had fun doing it and still have no real experience.

moral of the story: if you're enjoying the game don't change everything because you want to do one thing.
Darkseid, Cerulean.
Senior Officer of Under the Black Flag.
[May 3, 2012 6:36:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
bronzebeard

My first crew after I subbed on Midnight was the Pillaging Raiders and while there, I learnt how fun PvP could be. However, I had alts in POTD and Spiffy Bow Ties before then, so I maybe could have ended up staying in one of those crews, with their big flags, and not got into PvP as much. And if I'd never gotten into PvP, I'd probably never had sailed much with those mates who we built Superlemon Krakatoa from.

"Whitefire says: Who on Earth let that guy in?"

Hah! When I joined Black Death, I perused their recruitment forum to see if there was anything left over about me that they'd forgotten to delete. Whitefire didn't want me there either. He was already gone by the time I finally did join though.
Peglegpaul
Now on Obsidian!
[May 4, 2012 1:10:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Chrustschov

I was initially playing on Indigo Ocean which was permanently shutdown for good. A while later i made the big mistake and went on Opal, to see it goes dry like indigo and then i started once again on hunter, still playing.
[May 4, 2012 5:34:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Quitex

I could've chosen not to be a moron in the forums between 2007 and 2010. I could be more well-liked and taken more seriously if I would've kept my mouth shut.
Quitex, everywhere, mainly Ice.
Monarch of Cows
Joly wrote: 
Someone asked why Quitex would do this as a rogue. All I can say is, well, he's QUITEX! No one knows what he will do next, ESPECIALLY Quitex.

[May 4, 2012 6:02:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
NotJaret

I could've chosen not to be a moron in the forums between 2007 and 2010. I could be more well-liked and taken more seriously if I would've kept my mouth shut.

yeah but I don't think anyone cares really
Jaret of Hunter Emerald
[May 4, 2012 6:09:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
frogkissed11

When I started you were allowed 3 accounts per computer, and only a limited amount of time/log ins per account. I'd burned through three accounts quickly but didn't have the extra money to subscribe, despite loving it. When my tax return came finally, I subbed an account other than the one with the pirate I had played the most on because I couldn't remember which account was which.

I don't even remember what crew that character was in, but I do know that if I had subscribed that account, I wouldn't have ended up in Falcon's Fury.
JainaSolo, sheepish jedi
Blazeblade says, "you're talking to a SHEEP?"
[Edit 1 times, last edit by frogkissed11 at May 4, 2012 6:46:15 PM]
[May 4, 2012 6:44:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link]  Go to top 
catscanner

I made the choice of moving oceans, from Viridian to Sage. I honestly regret it. I've made so many friends on Sage, and I'm glad I did it. But the communication lost on Viridian caused me to lose amazing friendships because of amazing friends retiring.

My greatest people I miss is Falbard, Anglsflght and Brotherkevin, as well as Brokenearth and everyone else that was in Ne Desit Virtus during the heydays. If anyone has contact with them, do not hesitate to point them to this thread.
[May 5, 2012 3:14:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jackingg

I made the move from hunter to viridian a while back. Had I stayed a hunter girl, who know, maybe -Frozen- would still be alive.

It's sad to go back and see my crew dormant, my captain never online, the girl who originally taught me how to puzzle not remember my name.

But who knows, maybe I never would of developed my sailing, or gotten involved in politicking.

*clicks tongue* World a'keepin on spinnin'.
Ivytheblade

Not intended for those with weak constitutions

Now officially dating half your Parley Trolls.
[May 5, 2012 3:10:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hillsmen

After my initial move to Sage after it opened I probably should have stayed on Sage instead of going back to Viridian.
Captainrich
[May 5, 2012 7:48:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Gumptiongirl

If i had not chosen to create Surrptitious, then i would have remained with my (now) alt and stayed active within Cobalt crew Indestructible Fury.
I have a hunch that this would have lead to a very different YPP road to go down.
But i do love my crewbies i have stuck by with, and if i hadnt, i never would have gotten called slurppie by my captain and i love my new name :P
Surrptitious/ Slurppie - Cerulean

Feb Frenzy
Feb Frenzy 2.0
[May 6, 2012 6:54:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://gumptiongirl.deviantart.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
_Amnesty_

If it weren't for my moving oceans from where I originally started (Viridian) to Hunter where my sister played (I wanted to annoy her), I wouldn't have met the amazing people I've met and had all of the experiences I've had so far in my Y!PP career and life in general.

But, on the other hand, if I had stayed on Viridian, I would have quit the game entirely from lack of excitement entirely. That would have made my life 100% different than it is now. I'm not sure which choice I would choose if I were given the chance to pick once more which road I could take if I knew what I know now.
Amnesty,
Emerald.

Tilinkitar!
[May 7, 2012 10:16:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Smartysmoker

For me I have always been on cobalt and glad of it. So if anything I would say that becoming a captain of a crew was the thing that made my experiences great. I have learned much more than I think I would have ever intended to about the game due to this. Also, I gained a great deal of patience in the process of building my crew. I have few regrets fortunately and have made no, or very few enemies so far =).
Happyjoey Cerulean (Cobalt native),
Captain of "For Noobs" (The Best Crew in the Ocean) =p,
and King of "Knee Deep"
[May 7, 2012 7:41:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
marundel

So, pirates of Y!PP, what were the choices you made that changed your time in the game? Would they have made a big difference to you, or even the ocean at large?

First, a choice that was actually made for me... I spawned on a blue ocean. There is no doubt in my mind that had I spawned on a green ocean, I would have played for about a week and gone looking for something else to do. Instead, I have between 6 and 14 sub'd accounts (depending on the day of the month), and can't live without my daily Y!PP fix.

A choice I made for myself... I stayed with the first crew that I ever sailed with. My first jobbing sortie, I was invited to join and did. I'm still with that crew, and my associations there over the years have shaped my play significantly.

Any choices you regret?

Yeah - I'm one of those that would have taken a different tack on the forums in the early days. I made a few enemies that I would rather have not, simply because I was trying to act like one of the "big boys".

Another choice that I sometimes regret is letting Jak talk me into taking over as monarch. I have a blast with the job, and I have a very supportive flag full of people I love dearly... but every once in a while, I sit back and wonder if I would have been better off just being another pillaging FO with no real reputation.

Some of the choices I made as First Mate in the crew and as a Royal in the flag have cost me some good mates over the years as well. I certainly regret seeing a lot of the mates I considered my mentors going to other flags or quitting the game altogether.
Pizzahutpete on the Cerulean Ocean
Prince, Super Awesomeness
SO, Boochin' Drunks

Pizzahutpete everywhere, thanks to the merge
[May 8, 2012 12:27:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.thehomebrewstore.com    meadbrewer [Link]  Go to top 
Belthazar451

Because I spawned on Viridian, and a particular crew happened to be running a greeter pillage when I was looking for one, I joined that crew. Met a whole bunch of fun people, a number of them in real life as well. If I'd gone looking for a greeter pillage a day later, say, I might never have joined the crew.

None of those people are still playing any more, though. This makes me sad. For one of them, the game is pretty much the only way I have to contact them. I loiter in my empty crew, just in case someone comes back for a visit...
[May 8, 2012 12:50:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
5thousand

Moving from Viridian to Sage, and then creating a new pirate after already moving on Sage, which is now my main.
Jeremiah of Obsidian

Fivethousand of Emerald and Meridian

[May 14, 2012 5:12:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Reeves90

If I had not randomly given governorship of an island to a random flaggie that never talked, we never would have started talking, had we never started talking she would not be making the move across the country (she is actually driving as I type this) to live closer....
~ Reeves/Rreeves ~
[May 14, 2012 10:32:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Julaxis

I think everyone knows what choices would have changed my pirate career. Shit happens. I can't change the past.
Formerly Julaxis of the Viridian and Malachite Oceans
[May 14, 2012 10:59:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hurtboss4

Kewl thread.
If I hadn't came back to PP the day I did, the time I did, and felt like gunning the time I did, I never would have received a job from Bobbyyb and joined Phantasm.
Never would I have learned Bnav.
Never would I have the friendships I got there, and the ones that came from there, far too many to list.
I never would have met Ennazus to bring me into rumble. Nor Zuao that taught me. I wouldn't be a Rumbler today.
I wouldn't have met Bible via a friend. I never would take an interest in SF.
I wouldn't have met Remorse. I would never become a decent sfer, which brought me invites to random houses, where I made friendships. Long lasting ones. Like Bowserspower. Like Ichigokuro. People I value alot.

If I didn't take the chance to be an idiot on the forums and publically, I never would have been given the chane to prove myself and back up my crap. I never would have ended where I am today.

I have no regrets, and I don't care about the future. I cherish my past and I'd change nothing of the outcome.

I love my friends.
And, scene.
*lights out*
[May 19, 2012 6:02:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ice_devil

Liquidizing my mala fleet and retiring for a year. Lulz. Fail
Hellacious/Hellaciouss/Defunct/Hamsterz
Capy tells ye, "I'm sorry... I don't know you well enough yet to allow you cam time!"
Plu tells ye, "screw you..Im interfering in every cade you ever contend&q
[May 20, 2012 4:22:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Alec1000

Probably to act more mature on the forums and not be that annoying trollish kid.

Also, get into pillaging earlier. For some time I really only did navy stuff and crafting puzzles because I really had no idea how fun and profitable pillaging could be. The good side was that I practiced so much that I got to be an officer in the first crew I joined. Still, I was pretty much dirt poor.
[May 20, 2012 4:50:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
barrelmonkey

Probably to act more mature on the forums and not be that annoying trollish kid.

When I saw "Last post by Alec1000" I was actually thinking that exact thing. Crazy to think I've been playing so long that people have grown up and changed substantially since I started.
[May 20, 2012 5:41:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
_Amnesty_

Hurtboss, your post makes me want to hug you and eat a commemorative cupcake with you.
Amnesty,
Emerald.

Tilinkitar!
[May 20, 2012 8:29:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Guayabo

If I had chosen Art class instead of Contability(?) class when I was on Junior High School... today I could be a real artist, earning real money from real drawings and I could've bought tons o' doubloons.

meh, life's a tart.
a sweet tart.
I live under your bed. I feed on your nightmares.
[May 22, 2012 1:33:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dwizzles

I've only been in one crew(Skeletons) in the 4.5 years I've been playing. I've also only been royal(which turned into monarch) of Illuminatti.

First of all, I happen to dislike the names of both.

Secondly, I often wonder how my YPP career would have changed if I would have left for greener pastures, or more accomplished blockading flags-especially after a lot of my good friends have retired or moved crews.

I've had a really good experience and met a lot of amazing people and there is a reason I've stayed where I am(and I'm proud of what we've been able to accomplish) but this is the definition of a choice that could have changed my whole career.
-Dwizzles
Captain of Skeletons
King of Illuminatti
[May 23, 2012 8:48:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Portpatrol

Moving to Malachite when it first opened. I went from going into an active crew to a semi-active crew to a retired crew right before my eyes leaving me in the dust.
SinCity/SinnCity
[May 27, 2012 5:21:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Kyubi74

Moving to IE after we had some issues kading with OA, Where I then fell off the nav order in a kade for IE, I decided to be immature about it and run a cit run as my flag was defending a multi, after a week of awkwardness I showed up in tonigirls flag where I lasted there 24 hours as I picked my crew over a fight between flaggies. I then ended up in Mass debaters for a week however they were slowing down kading. I moved to Twisted parallax for a while kading with them as we had a long relationship from back when I was a royal in OA. After some political powers fell off the board and me been a spoilt brat at times and not getting my way I moved out and Made No Apologies. And most of Emerald knows my journey from that point. The decisions I made and the places I went over the way I acted and behaved led me to a yr of happiness meeting new people and doing what I loved most. Sure I had some issues to get to that path but looking back I'm greatful some negative things happend to me or I would have never Made NA.
Kyubi
- Captain Of Ninety-Nine Problems -
- King Of No Apologies -
-Emerald-

Ky
=Captain Of Glad You Came=
=Member Of Knockout=
=Meridian=

Kyubi you have earned some massive respect from me - Yaruto
[May 27, 2012 6:38:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jongy5

If I hadn't raged on my old pirate after failing a bad session of rigs making my new pirate- Musicologist, this game would be slightly less musical.
Musicologist : Self-proclaimed Master Minstrel mostly of Meridian

Message from Team Evil: Fine, we'll pass the petition along to Hera for you even though you're pro-Team Purple, but we refuse to be happy about it! #TeamEvilisAWESOME
[May 28, 2012 5:37:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
atoms12123

I moved to Mala first day it opened.

Best choice I made, Mala was perfect for my style of gaming, and as a result I got to make a name for myself there, and meet everyone. If I had stayed on a larger ocean, I probably would have quit.
Ions
Captain of the Pimps at Sea.

Avatars by Inghild, Yumisa ...and Imp.
[Jun 1, 2012 1:42:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Atoms12123    Atoms12123 [Link]  Go to top 
hazelsworn

I originally spawned on Midnight and played there for two years. I left the game long enough for my pirate to be purged and decided to move to Cobalt after that. I think I would have stopped playing if I'd remained on Midnight, and not met all my wonderful friends on Cobalt and then be convinced to move to Sage and then met all my friends on Sage/Emerald.
Coexist , Emerald
Me on YouTube!

[Jun 5, 2012 7:57:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 32   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates