• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 22
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 8526 times and has 21 replies Next Thread
Karnisov

Karnisov's Pillage Tools v1.0 official release announcement and discussion thread Reply to this Post

Karnisov's Pillage Tools is a extension app (currently Windows only) for bnavs and xo's designed for players who want a more minimalist and focused feature set in their app.

It's main features are a damage counter and an automated jobber screener with stat filtering and stat sorting.

How-to video and download link are posted on my blog .

Big thank you to the people that participated in the closed beta and provided feedback.

If you would like to help make the tool even better, hop over to this thread and ask OOO to add the option for the PP client to log all jobber applications even when not on a puzzle station.

In regards to feature requests, only features that a majority of the userbase will find useful and that do not duplicate existing in game functionality will be considered for implementation. This is not intended to be a "everything including the kitchen sink" app.
----------------------------------------
Karnisov
flinging poo on the forums because its more fun than playing your broken game
[Edit 3 times, last edit by Karnisov at May 9, 2012 3:17:43 PM]
[May 1, 2012 12:51:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cnuofesd

Re: Karnisov's Pillage Tools v1.0 official release announcement and discussion thread Reply to this Post

Endorsed as a truly excellent and useful tool.
Capablanca on Emerald
My posts are not my own opinion.
[May 1, 2012 1:18:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Aeternis

Re: Karnisov's Pillage Tools v1.0 official release announcement and discussion thread Reply to this Post

I just can say that this tool is really good.
Did you make some changes compared to final beta?
Locu on Cerulean and Opal (and some other Oceans)

Check the Rack at Phakey's Tailor Stall on Tinga for nice clothes!
Locu's Weaving Stall on Tinga and Cranberry

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Aeternis at May 1, 2012 1:25:28 PM]
[May 1, 2012 1:24:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
NotJaret

I just can say that this tool is really good.

Jaret of Hunter Emerald
[May 1, 2012 1:24:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Karnisov

Locu wrote: 
Did you make some changes compared to final beta?

Yes, full release detects whether the pirate is on/off a puzzle station and adjusts it's chat commands accordingly, where 0.99 beta did not do this. if you are using the 0.99 beta version and try to plank or hire someone while you are not on a station, it will mess up on the second consecutive plank/hire.

If you beta tested, I highly recommend you download and install the full release.
Karnisov
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Karnisov at May 1, 2012 1:44:14 PM]
[May 1, 2012 1:43:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
etieti

Really well done and planned app :)

I will use it much :) Even better than QM :)
Emerald
Cerulean
[Edit 1 times, last edit by etieti at May 1, 2012 2:23:58 PM]
[May 1, 2012 2:07:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
oopoorah

Just curious if this tool is approved and/or endorsed by Three Rings/ YPP?

(no issues with TOS?)
PoopyDog
slave to Plu
Captain of Burn Notice

Monarch of the flag
Effective Immediately
[May 1, 2012 6:51:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wrs1864b

Just curious if this tool is approved and/or endorsed by Three Rings/ YPP?

(no issues with TOS?)

OOO does not endorse such tools, but they do have a Third Party Software policy.

What OOO allows is very limited, and details of how the software works is very important. For example, there is nothing in the third party policy that allows software to hit the "hire" button on the ahoy tab, so doing such would be a no-no. It *does*, however, allow the software to type in a "/job pirrate-name" command into the chart bar and hit enter. I'm almost certain that this is what the software does. Such automated entering of chat commands, however, is allowed only if the player is at the keyboard. That is, the policy bans "unattended use".

So, from what I could see from the video demonstrations, this software appears to be ok, as long as you don't use it for auto-hiring foraging jobs, but instead, use it as advertised for pillages and blockades.

OOO might be happier if the tool was tweaked so that it could not be easily used to auto-hire for foraging.

Also, in my experience with my own (vaguely) similar tool, some people like to apply many times in quick succession. My software caches pirate stats so that I only issue one yoweb lookup on their stats. It isn't clear if this software does similar caching, but I suspect OOO would be happier if it did.
Algol can not assert the truth of all statements in this post and still be consistent.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by wrs1864b at May 1, 2012 7:55:00 PM]
[May 1, 2012 7:47:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Karnisov

wrs1864b wrote: 

It isn't clear if this software does similar caching, but I suspect OOO would be happier if it did.

Yes all stats are cached and there is a minimum 1 second delay after each stat page is pulled to avoid stressing the server.

wrs1864b wrote: 

OOO might be happier if the tool was tweaked so that it could not be easily used to auto-hire for foraging.

I included blockade mode because autojobbing already exists in another app, namely QM. I just tweaked it slightly, so that the applicant only needs to hit apply through the notice board. This makes life more convenient for XO's and jobbers because they no longer have to go through special procedures (sending tells) to get detected. I'll wager over 50% of blockade jobbers don't know they have to send a tell to get QM to job them.

As far as forage auto-jobbing, it has been going on long before KPT came out. Anyone with 5 mins and zero technical knowledge can make an autojobber with a macro tool.

Given the very limited API that OOO has provided (chatlog and yohoho*.log) KPT cannot detect if a forage offer is active in a way that could not be easily worked around by a determined player. If OOO makes a proper API I'll be glad to revisit this.

I made a judgement call that it was better to offer the playbase a truly useful feature instead of watering it down over the fear that 1% of players would misuse it. I stand by that decision.
Karnisov
[Edit 3 times, last edit by Karnisov at May 2, 2012 2:50:14 PM]
[May 2, 2012 12:49:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wrs1864b

Given the very limited API that OOO has provided (chatlog and yohoho*.log) KPT cannot detect if a forage offer is active in a way that could not be easily worked around by a determined player. If OOO makes a proper API I'll be glad to revisit this.

For my auto-jobber setup, I simply look for the line in the chat says "This vessel is now Trading, offering an average of..." line. It was worth it for me to add this check because I don't want to auto-job in other situations. YMMV.
Algol can not assert the truth of all statements in this post and still be consistent.
[May 3, 2012 10:42:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Karnisov

due to the nature of how chat logging works it would get into blockade management issues. there are a whole bunch of scenarios that would have to accounted for, (such as, what if the xo isn't the same person setting voyage config and isn't aboard when it happens? etc,) which would either require excessive code for one feature and/or restrictive procedures for blockade staff which would discourage them from using the tool at all.

i think it works well like it is. if OOO implements a real API that discloses voyage mode in real-time, i'll revisit it.
Karnisov
[May 3, 2012 11:27:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
donotparkme

Some suggestions.

For Atlantis citadel runs, the most important 'stats', are actually the trophies. When I screen for jobbers, I look for

1. Fencer trophy, because I realize some people don't like sword fighting at the tables. (If they have good sf stats, this doesn't matter of course).
2. Tokens, seals, towers etc. for token making.
3. I don't take alts either. Even if that pirate has great stats, if they do not have experience, in my own experience, they are most likely alting because they don't want to tank their stats on their main because they are busy doing something else!

For cursed isle runs, would add the frenetic trophy and the scrapper (rumble trophy).

An amazing feature would be, implementing a do-not-job list. I have a text file that I use for that, but some people still slip through my rigorous screening methods. I don't want to mute them, but it would be nice if an app could tell me that that person is on my dnj list.

Just my 10 PoE.
Cranberry Island, Trans-Atlantic Empire
Mice of Vengeance
Mousebeard
[May 5, 2012 10:03:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Wheebiscuit

In addition to the above suggestions, all of which looked good, I have a few of varying degrees of difficulty and applicability.

- In addition to showing stats, indicate if the person is a hearty / crewbie / flaggie. I have a HUGE hearty list, some of whom I might miss, and there are new crewbies or flaggies I might not know, and would like to give priority to or make a stat allowance for. You could make the Hearty list one we would have to enter ourselves if it isn't easy to extract.

- In addition to a NEVER JOB list as suggested, an ALWAYS JOB list might be useful.

- Probably harder than the above 2, and something that would be for an "advanced mode", would be the ability to set stat levels for each skill. When running a CI, I might only need Master or Respected on sails, but want GM+ on bilge.

- Would it be possible to extract the ship type from the yohoho*.log and apply it to the damage counter? I am so lazy....

It looks like a good tool. and I will give it a try tonight. Thanks for all of your work on it, and for the work of the beta testers.

Aarghbird
Aarghbird of Cerlulean
Monarch of Mixed Nuts
Captain of Rum by Gum
Chief Mixed-Up-Nut

Avatar by the arrrsome Billshakes
[May 8, 2012 4:03:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Karnisov

I've added a poll to my blog (right hand side) to gauge interest in a Linux version of KPT.

Mac version is not currently planned because OS X terms of use don't allow running in a VM, and I can't afford to buy a mac atm.
Karnisov
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Karnisov at May 18, 2012 11:18:44 AM]
[May 18, 2012 11:11:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Karnisov

(inb4 "omg KPT is broken now with new puzzle update")

as some of you may be aware, there is a new duty puzzle being tested on ice. the new puzzle will likely make the jobber screener part of KPT not function properly until I get a chance to patch.

most likely the new puzzle stat will be occupying the rumble column and the actual rumble stat will not be displayed or filterable. the 2 min auto-timeout on listings in the applicants table may also stop working.

since I am in the process of moving, getting internet at new apartment, and dealing with last 3 weeks of summer semester at college, the update probably won't happen until those 3 RL things are resolved.
Karnisov
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Karnisov at Jun 25, 2012 7:29:46 PM]
[Jun 25, 2012 7:19:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LJAmethyst

What you really need to do is to provide some documentation for this software. At least a README.txt that contains a link to your website, a copyright notice, and license information.

We learned the hard way about what happens to software with no license declaration. Now it may be technically illegal to distribute that software independently.

I recommend that you include your copyright notice and license information both in the download with your software as well as prominently on your website and also in a post here in your support thread. The more places it can be found, the better.

I am not a lawyer, but I do know a little bit about free and open source software licenses. It does not appear that you intend your code to be open source, so perhaps a BSD-style license would be best for this software. If you choose to go with open source, which would be great because any motivated developer could improve your code, or port it to a new OS, you would have myriad licenses from which to choose, such as GPL, LGPL, Apache, including BSD, and so forth.

Thanks for your contributions.
Retired as of August 2015.
2 Timothy 4:7
[Jun 26, 2012 3:20:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.newadvent.org/bible/jon001.htm [Link]  Go to top 
Karnisov

(inb4 "omg KPT is broken now with new puzzle update")

as some of you may be aware, there is a new duty puzzle being tested on ice. the new puzzle will likely make the jobber screener part of KPT not function properly until I get a chance to patch.

most likely the new puzzle stat will be occupying the rumble column and the actual rumble stat will not be displayed or filterable. the 2 min auto-timeout on listings in the applicants table may also stop working.

since I am in the process of moving, getting internet at new apartment, and dealing with last 3 weeks of summer semester at college, the update probably won't happen until those 3 RL things are resolved.

well i just read in game design that there will be more changes to the pirate stat pages beyond just the addition of the one new stat, so kpt jobber screener will probably be very hosed until the patch.

Forculus wrote: 
xelto wrote: 
Since changes to the page are going to happen when Patching gets released, can we have the "piracy skills" section re-ordered into a more coherent fashion?
I will make this change in this week's release.

edit: since i'm going to be making changes i figured i'd let the users decide the stat order in KPT, classic or new. cast your vote in the poll on my blog .
Karnisov
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Karnisov at Jun 28, 2012 4:53:24 PM]
[Jun 26, 2012 3:02:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Karnisov

KPT 1.0.5 is available for download , the stat page scraper has been adjusted to better tolerate future changes to the pirate pages.

Be sure to uninstall the old version before installing this new version.

I am leaving the stat columns in the pre YPP 6-27 update order because I'm not sure if the users want them changed? Be sure to vote in the poll on the blog so I can get an idea of what you want.
Karnisov
[Jul 3, 2012 5:32:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Karnisov

stuff in the next release that should be out in a few days:

• archipelago stats no longer cause the stat screener to choke...
  • added a column for patching to the stat screener
  • will be able to switch between classic stat order and new stat order in the screener based on user preference

Karnisov
[Aug 1, 2012 3:54:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Karnisov

1.0.6 is available for download, changes are as listed in the previous post.

to change the stat order in the screener, right click in the top of the screener window and select the desired order.
Karnisov
[Aug 3, 2012 12:53:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Karnisov

Linux version is now available at my blog . It has been tested with Unity and MATE (gnome 2 fork), but it should work with any X based desktop environment.

Be sure to read the text file labeled "Dependencies" and install the packages listed therein.
Karnisov
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Karnisov at Dec 18, 2012 4:49:36 PM]
[Dec 17, 2012 3:38:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Solowing

Bump.

I know this is and old thread, but does anyone use Karns bnav tool? I used to use QM2, but thats defunct and can't be downloaded.
Solowing
Still suck at poker.
Sage
[Jun 27, 2017 2:40:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates