• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 64
Posts: 64   Pages: 3   [ First Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 5538 times and has 63 replies Next Thread
_Amnesty_

The Legend of KORRRRRAAA Reply to this Post

Yay! After years of waiting we have a new series with new writers/producers about the new Avatar. Personally, I was so stoked I set an alarm and made breakfast to watch it like the loyal creep I am. Anywho:

I was pleasantly surprised to see that not much had changed and it is still the humorous/martial art jam packed comedy us loyal Avatar fans alike grew to love. Although the bending move mechanics have changed a bit, It still intrigues me to see the action play it with real martial art moves.

Any thoughts on the new series? Discuss.
----------------------------------------
Amnesty,
Emerald.

Tilinkitar!
[Apr 14, 2012 7:30:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hillsmen

Re: The Legend of KORRRRRAAA Reply to this Post

I had heard rumors of this but didn't know it was true. You just made my day. I didn't actually know that a new show was coming out.

By the way, anyone else think Toonami is coming back? I created a Twitter just to post in the bring back Toonami that Adult Swim had up. Seems they are strongly considering it.
Captainrich
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Hillsmen at Apr 15, 2012 8:42:47 AM]
[Apr 15, 2012 8:37:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
barrelmonkey

The writing is pretty awful and they way overuse "animu faces!" but to be fair the first series did that to an extent, they just took it to an extreme. All of the dialogue is just really awkward, like it was written by an awkward homeschooled child who doesn't really understand how social interaction works. Actually, it's a lot like really bad fanfiction.

Also the grandson boy looks like a crazy monster.
[Apr 15, 2012 9:51:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Aethera21

Damn it, did I miss the premiere? I had heard this was coming but forgot to keep track of the actual date.

Will have to see if I can find it online :) Not thrilled to hear Barrelmonkey's review but hopefully it improves. Anything has to be better than the film, amiright?
Aethera of Cobalt Cerulean
Princess of Maniacal Menagerie
Blockade staff on any ocean
[Apr 15, 2012 10:02:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lotsofgoats

It was a good premier. Plenty of development carried over from the original series.

I already have a theory about the next episode, as well, and it's actually looking pretty solid. It's super potential spoiler alert stuff, though.
I am Lotsofgoats and I approve this message.
[Apr 15, 2012 10:05:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
_Amnesty_

By the way, anyone else think Toonami is coming back? I created a Twitter just to post in the bring back Toonami that Adult Swim had up. Seems they are strongly considering it.
If they do, I pretty much think my life would be complete. All the crazy shit on television now is just...weird.

Anything has to be better than the film, amiright?
Definitely. That was a disgrace to all things live-action.

The writing is pretty awful and they way overuse "animu faces!" but to be fair the first series did that to an extent, they just took it to an extreme. All of the dialogue is just really awkward, like it was written by an awkward homeschooled child who doesn't really understand how social interaction works. Actually, it's a lot like really bad fanfiction. Also the grandson boy looks like a crazy monster.
I'd have to disagree about the animu faces. They didn't over use them much at all. Not any more than the original series did at least. Although I will agree that the writing does look like it's come from a socially awkward middle school child. I'm thrilled to see what the series as a whole will bring none the less.

It was a good premier. Plenty of development carried over from the original series. I already have a theory about the next episode, as well, and it's actually looking pretty solid. It's super potential spoiler alert stuff, though.
Yeah, although I feel it's falling into the "villain is going to destroy you" plot a little too soon, It does look like it will be a pretty awesome series to watch evolve like the other one did.
Amnesty,
Emerald.

Tilinkitar!
[Apr 15, 2012 10:53:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lotsofgoats

The original series got into the "villain is going to destroy you" in the first episode, so I don't think that's a fair comparison at all. I also think that the writing and animation for these serieseses is fantastic. It's a unique breed that uses some of the better anime tropes without the need for flashing lights and super-fast-moving-protagonist-foreground-with-solid-lines-in-background nonsense.

I'll put my theory in white-text because I really want to hear what people think of it. I'll also leave it open ended so it's not terribly explicit.

[spoiler]
So we see that one of the primary villains in this series is going to be the leader of this anti-bending movement. If we think of the previous series, there's only really one person who may have grown to support such a thing. That's the person who could bend... but then couldn't... because a bender took that ability away from him...

See where I'm going with this? He'd be very old, at this point, which is the only problem I'm having with this theory. Perhaps a later son of his?

[/spoiler]

Feel free to highlight my crazy idea.
[Apr 15, 2012 11:03:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
_Amnesty_

Ah, perhaps it has been awhile since I've watched the first few episodes of the first series...

[spoiler]
If you're talking about the old Firelord, Ozai, I think he would have rotted to death in the jail cell his son put him in. But, if he did get out, I think he would have a hard time getting out of the Fire Nation for some reason... <- theory still in the works. But, I like yours a lot. I'd love for the new villain to be some one from the "past", I think It would tie the new series together really well.
[/spoiler]
Amnesty,
Emerald.

Tilinkitar!
[Apr 15, 2012 11:17:39 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Strider399

I heard about the premiere yesterday, but I had work all day and missed it. If anybody finds it online please link it!
Sid on Obsidian

Striderrs everywhere else
[Apr 15, 2012 11:41:13 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hillsmen

Good point Goats, should be interesting to see. It almost makes me sad you will have no more Sokka Toph Aang but it is good to move on. I know they already have a season 1 and 2 planned, but it will be interesting to see how far they go. The original series only had 3 seasons, but they seemed to finish at the right time instead of being a long drawn out series.
Captainrich
[Apr 15, 2012 12:48:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
_Amnesty_

I heard about the premiere yesterday, but I had work all day and missed it. If anybody finds it online please link it!
This is the only link I could find that still worked. If you used bittorrent or utorrent I also found a good torrent for it as well http://anilinkz.com/avatar-the-legend-of-korra-episode-1
Amnesty,
Emerald.

Tilinkitar!
[Apr 15, 2012 1:15:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Chavez67

Free download on iTunes.

I did it.
clarify
It was me.

[Apr 15, 2012 5:18:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dwizzles

The first two episodes can be watched on nick.com
-Dwizzles
Captain of Skeletons
King of Illuminatti
[Apr 15, 2012 7:26:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
_Amnesty_

I didn't expect it to be that easy to watch it. Wow.
Amnesty,
Emerald.

Tilinkitar!
[Apr 15, 2012 7:43:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
barrelmonkey

[spoiler]
I really think it's related to Zuko/Ozai/Azula in some way. The mask seems Fire Nation to me, and Republic City is pretty close to Yu Dao and some of those Fire Nation colonies that Zuko really didn't want to get rid of. I would imagine it's the descendant of one of those fire nation folks from the first series. Maybe Zuko's kid couldn't bend, so he was mad and blamed all of the problems on bending.
[/spoiler]
[Apr 16, 2012 9:40:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Aethera21

I taped yesterday's rerun, and then forgot to watch it. This shall not happen again tonight!

Glad to see the show has so many fans. I'm 30 and it was shocking how easily I addicted myself to the original series.

I just realized perhaps I need to stop making fun of my Bronie friend...except...My Little Pony. Yeah, I think I'm ok.
[Apr 16, 2012 9:49:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Chavez67

Watched Ep 1.

I didn't think the writing was particularly terrible, but certainly not up to the level of some of the 2nd and 3rd book episodes. The fight scenes were pretty cool. Folks in this thread need to remember that it's fundamentally a kids show, and always has been.

The Kora character isn't particularly endearing to me yet, whereas Ang was endearing off the bat. But then again, that's part of character development. Certainly Zuko was extremely shallow in the 1st book, but by the end he was almost undoubtedly the most complex and fascinating character.

I did it.
clarify
It was me.

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Chavez67 at Apr 16, 2012 12:32:19 PM]
[Apr 16, 2012 12:26:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hillsmen

Agree with Chav. I wouldn't expect the first season to be as good as season 2 and 3 of the original. But I do expect it to be better than the original first season, for some reason I sometimes get bored watching it, but it is still good.

Particularly interested to see if they changed the Avatar state at all, and if she ever talks to Aang.
Captainrich
[Apr 16, 2012 12:41:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lotsofgoats

Why are you watching this and comparing it to the old series already? It's much more enjoyable when you watch it to enjoy it.

Try it out.
[Apr 16, 2012 8:31:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
_Amnesty_

Agree with Chav. I wouldn't expect the first season to be as good as season 2 and 3 of the original. But I do expect it to be better than the original first season, for some reason I sometimes get bored watching it, but it is still good.

Particularly interested to see if they changed the Avatar state at all, and if she ever talks to Aang.

I definitely think Korra will meet Aang in the spirit world. I still think the glowing of the eyes will partake, naturally. What else could be changed?

Also Romtu, I like your theory. I can't wait for this weekend to see what happens next.
Amnesty,
Emerald.

Tilinkitar!
[Apr 16, 2012 9:52:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
barrelmonkey

I actually never liked Ang, so I'm not super disappointed by Korra, but I don't really like her and she doesn't really have a past to flesh out better. I love the universe and the general plot of both series, but it is a kids show and I've never loved the writing or really the characters, but I still feel like the dialogue has really declined.

Also I still have to bring up how crazy the grandson looks. It makes me laugh every time I see him, which is a plus really.
[Apr 17, 2012 7:47:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
_Amnesty_

I'm too lazy to look but whoever said earlier that It's just a child series and it should be enjoyed is correct. For a child series though, It is well written and many more details were implemented than I thought would be, for a child series.

Also I still have to bring up how crazy the grandson looks. It makes me laugh every time I see him, which is a plus really.
All three of those barmets look hilarious to me xD My boyfriend recently told me I remind him of Ikki..
Amnesty,
Emerald.

Tilinkitar!
[Apr 17, 2012 10:59:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Chavez67

Oh come on now. The writing on some of the old episodes, particularly 2nd and 3rd book, was fantastic. The one they did that followed Momo looking for Oppa still gives me chills. The one with the swamp benders was outstanding. The blood bending episode was outstanding. The one where they craft the sword from moonrock was outstanding. There were plenty of great episodes from a writing standpoint in the original serieses.

I agree Book 1 was the weakest of the three books, clearly.

I was honestly hoping that when they did a sequel, they'd stick with the main characters, and instead do "Book 4: Spirit," and have the whole thing set in the spirit world. That had the potential to be epic.

This new series looks interesting. The setting is certainly new-ish. They're obviously leaning on the Steampunk flavor a bit heavily because Steampunk is the New Pirates.

I do not expect amazing amounts of character development in the first few episodes, but if they plan on making this new thing as long as the original, there's plenty of time for that. For now, the characters aren't wretched, there's potential in the story, and the fight scenes are still very very well done.

I did it.
clarify
It was me.

[Apr 17, 2012 1:48:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hillsmen

Personally for the longest time I had hoped they would do something when they were all in their 20s or perhaps a year or two after the events of the original. I wanted it to be the journey of them searching for Zuko's mom, but I am fine with this. Sometimes you need to move onto new characters, but it isn't like they hard warn out the old character. They only had three seasons, which is far less than most shows.
Captainrich
[Apr 17, 2012 8:19:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Aethera21

So I watched it. Spoilery comments below.

So, I think the 2nd ep was better than the 1st. I started off just not caring about Korra, while I was immediately invested in Katara and Sokka, and thus cared about Aang as well in the first series. I found the writing meh and the events entirely predictable, but hey, kids show.

I guess the way they handed the introduction of the Avatar was just so much less interesting than with Aang, so I didn't really care.

However, I found the developments of the 2nd ep to be better, and felt less irritated while watching it, so I guess that's me getting to enjoy it :) And I love JK Simmons and thus Tanzin. There are fairly obvious parallels between the pro-bending brothers and old characters, so they were easy to like. The children were funny instead of annoying, and it's hard not to like Meelo, who looks like mini-Aang.

I think it's likely that the villain is related to the villains from the original show, since there are already some obvious parallels happening, and Katara was careful to say people are 'gone' and not 'dead' or 'no longer with us' or whatever.

Right now my strongest motivation is to go back and watch the first show. To the Netflix!

Also, I nearly killed them, having the kid asking about what happened to Zuko's mom, and then getting interrupted. Reallllly funny guys :)
[Apr 18, 2012 11:47:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Squashbuckle

Not sure if this is spoiler, but I'll white it out just in case.

The anti-bending guy's mask to me looks a bit like the Guy Fawkes mask, and the villain's name is Amon, which is close enough to Anon to make me wonder if the similarities are intended. Anonymous is a group that takes actions against real abuses of power, but the actions they take are more disruptive than constructive. Amon is a character who gains his following fighting against real abuses of power, but he seeks a disruptive solution rather than a constructive way forward for the world.

Also, I hope Amon is not a blood relative of Ozai (or worse, Ozai himself). The series will be more interesting, I think, if Amon has more of his own back-story rather than falling back on the same villainous family we already know.

Polly
Hunter
Captain of Flocktarts

[Apr 18, 2012 4:48:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lotsofgoats

Oh you conspiracy theorist. Pretty sure you're just going crazy with that one.

I'm thinking that the latter will be the case, though.
[Apr 18, 2012 4:49:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dwizzles

I think I remember reading that this mask had nothing to do with Guy Fawkes and was just a coincidence, but I might be making that up.

Lets not forget that this is a KIDS show and so the writing won't be The Wire or Breaking Bad quality here. I still think the writing in the original series was brilliant at times.

And most importantly, the fighting is freaking awesome. THEY CAN BEND WATER AND AIR AND FIRE AND EARTH MAN!
-Dwizzles
Captain of Skeletons
King of Illuminatti
[Apr 18, 2012 6:32:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hillsmen

Spoiler/Conspiracy

If Ozai is still alive the dude would be well over 100, so I very doubt he would still have the energy to run a little secret organization. It would be nice if the guy would have a slight hint of history with the past events, but I am not complaining if he doesn't. For him to be the big bad guy he needs to have his own story.
Captainrich
[Apr 18, 2012 7:58:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
barrelmonkey

Amon kinda means "hidden" or "to cover" in the various languages they like to draw from for Avatar.
[Apr 18, 2012 10:06:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 64   Pages: 3   [ First Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates