• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 50
Posts: 50   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 4933 times and has 49 replies Next Thread
Aeternis

The Bard's Song - Singing-Songwriting Contest [Winners posted] Reply to this Post

Yarrhoys,

The festival season is about to start and all artists dropped out of their contracts, so I'm left with a pile of things i got as contract penalty but no singers. :(
But as I know that there are many pirates out there, knowing how to sing and write a good song, hope is not lost yet! If you love to tour the oceans with your song, please apply with a song of your own (I don't care who wrote the melody as there are too many songs out there to check everyone of them, but just be honest if it is not your work) in the form of a video or mp3-file. As those festivals tour the whole pirate-world there is no reason to limit your song to a certain language, so feel free to sing and write in any language you want. But you have to sing about something related to Puzzle Pirates. But unfortunately my jury and I lost our Babelfishes as we sank last week, and they wanted to swim freely again, we ask you for an English translation of the lyrics.
You may also accompany your singing with an instrument that does not need electricity to fuction. (If you play the keyboard i allow you plain piano sound, but no rhythm or other instruments mixed in and a pipe organ is not a piano).
Judges will be giving extra points for a melody composed by yourself, you still have good chances of winning with a cover-song.

The rules as a list:

Only one entry per account

You have to provide the following things:

• Your pirate name and ocean
  • The original lyrics (the language you sing your song in). If your language doesn't use roman letters, please add a link to a .pdf-file with the lyrics.
  • The translation of the lyrics into English. There is absolutely no need to try to rhyme the translation if the original rhymes. Word by word with English syntax is perfectly sufficient.
  • If you used an existing melody, provide a link to the original. Again no site where you have to register to view it.
  • If you do a video, please show a card with your pirate name, ocean and "Bard's Song 2012" while saying (or singing) that. If you use a mp3 just leave the card out, but do the intro.
  • If you do a mp3-file please add a link to a photograph of the instrument with a card, showing your pirate name, ocean and "Bard's Song 2012".
  • If you do not speak English at all, there is no problem, just take part and begin your posting with "Translation needed". I hope some people will be helping to translate your post, so that we do not have to rely to a google translator.
  • The topic of the song has to be related to puzzle pirates.
  • You are allowed to use a non-electrical instrument to accompany your song. A keyboard is allowed if you only use plain piano sound. Acapella singing is perfectly fine as well.
  • Post a link to your video/mp3-file in the Entry-Thread using [url]-tags
  • If you use a already existing melody and claim it as your own, your entry will be disqualified.
  • You have to write new lyrics for this event. Previously used songs will be disqualified.
  • You may edit your entry post any number of times, but postings edited after the deadline will be disqualified
  • Be sure that your songs are still on the web for at least 2 weeks after the deadline, to make sure they can be judged.

Prizes:

1. A Bardic Sloop renamed "Singing Starfish", a harpsichord and a trinket (given that i get the rename)
2. A Bardic Sloop, an instrument and a trinket
3. A plain Sloop, an instrument and a trinket

Honourable Mentions: An Instrument and a trinket.
Runner Ups: Every entry will receive something for their efforts.

Useful Links
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_hosting_services
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_photo_sharing_websites
http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Hosting_files
http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Art:Helpful_art_tutorials_and_resources#Free_Hosting_Sites
http://www.openoffice.org/

List of volunteering translators:
Locu German/Deutsch - English/Englisch
Tritón Spanish/Español - English/ Inglés"
(that part will be extended i hope)

Entry-Thread
Auf Deutsch
Español
----------------------------------------
Locu on Cerulean and Opal (and some other Oceans)

Check the Rack at Phakey's Tailor Stall on Tinga for nice clothes!
Locu's Weaving Stall on Tinga and Cranberry

[Edit 4 times, last edit by Aeternis at Jun 10, 2012 11:39:10 PM]
[Apr 14, 2012 9:15:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Aeternis

Re: The Bard's Song - Singing-Songwriting Contest [Deadline May 26th 11.59 am] Reply to this Post

May we record a song that lasts 30sec? May we record a song that lasts 30min?
Yes, there is no lower or upper limit to the length of the song.

Any genre allowed?
Yes, it is every genre allowed.

can we use help...

if we need someone to hold the camera?

- Yes sure, you don't have to train your pets or familiars to hold the camera. You can take help here.

if we want someone to dance in the background?

- If you want to have background dancers that's ok, but we will rate the song and the singing, not dancing.

if we want a background chorus?

- No, that's not allowed, only one person may sing.

if we need help to edit the audio?

- If you have problems to put your song to digital media that's perfectly ok. Though I can't control it, I don't want "electrical" optimized singing as it's not in the spirit of the competition.

Can we have more than one instrument in the song? (drums, guitar, bass... etc, etc)

You are allowed to use a non-electrical instrument to accompany your song. A keyboard is allowed if you only use plain piano sound. Acapella singing is perfectly fine as well.
That means you are allowed one instrument, not more than one.

Do we have to sing? Or can we write a song with just say the words, story like? For lack of a better term for the word.
No, as speaking is a kind of plain melody, you may speak or rap.

May we form a collaboration? (one person writing the lyrics, one person singing/performing - and entering as one account eligible for one prize)
As there is no way to see if someone wrote the song he's singing himself, you may build "teams". Every pirate may only be part of one entry.
If a "team entry" qualifies for a prize (and every entry does), the normal prize will be given only once, trinkets will be awarded to each team member.

May I ask how the judging will be weighted? I'm guessing you will judge on lyrics, melody and vocal ability. How much weight will be given to each area?
I won't exactly say how judging will be held, but the actual singing is less than one-third of the total points.

Do we have to explain why we choose for a certain melody or lyrics?
No, you don't have to explain a why. You may do so, but it will not be considered at judging.

Reserved for questions and answers as I'm sure there will some arise.

[Edit 7 times, last edit by Aeternis at May 11, 2012 7:48:11 AM]
[Apr 14, 2012 9:17:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Guayabo

Re: The Bard's Song - Singing-Songwriting Contest [Deadline May 26th 11.59 am] Reply to this Post

May we record a song that lasts 30sec?
May we record a song that lasts 30min?

In better words, is there a limit on the extension of the song?
Antes solíamos hacer cosas importantes.
Ahora solo nos dedicamos a parecer importantes.
[Apr 14, 2012 12:44:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Aeternis

Yes, there is no lower or upper limit on the length of the song.

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Aeternis at Apr 14, 2012 12:53:03 PM]
[Apr 14, 2012 12:48:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Guayabo

Any genre allowed?

(i'll try to think all questions so I post them in a single hit)
[Apr 14, 2012 5:41:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ezmerelda_M

May we record a song that lasts 30sec? May we record a song that lasts 30min?
Yes, there is no lower or upper limit to the length of the song.

/me is now wanting to do a two-day epic... =D
Adrielle (retired) / @AmazinAdrielle on Twitter
[Apr 14, 2012 5:59:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://amazingadrielle.webs.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
Aeternis

Yes, there is every musical genre allowed.

Adrielle, sure, we will listen to it, but a video would be more impressive seeing you singing two days ;)

[Apr 15, 2012 1:54:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ezmerelda_M

'Impressive' isn't really the word I'd use... <.< lol! Scary.
Adrielle (retired) / @AmazinAdrielle on Twitter
[Apr 15, 2012 3:39:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://amazingadrielle.webs.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
Aeternis

I really think it's impressive to sing 2 days nonstop in front of a camera ;)

[Apr 15, 2012 3:41:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Guayabo

If we need help, may we recieve it?

I mean, if we need someone to hold the camera, someone to dance in the background/sing along as a chorus, someone to help us edit the audio... what can we do about it?
When are we allowed to recieve help and when we're not?
[Apr 16, 2012 10:16:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Aeternis

I just answer the questions separately:

can we use help...

if we need someone to hold the camera?
- Yes sure, you don't have to train your pets or familiars to hold the camera. You can take help here.

if we want someone to dance in the background?
- If you want to have background dancers that's ok, but we will rate the song and the singing, not dancing.

if we want a background chorus?
- No, that's not allowed, only one person may sing.

if we need help to edit the audio?
- If you have problems to put your song to digital media that's perfectly ok. Though I can't control it, I don't want "electrical" optimized singing as it's not in the spirit of the competition.

[Apr 16, 2012 11:51:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
pillyforme

Can we have more than one instrument in the song? (drums, guitar, bass... etc, etc)
Darkoath Of Cerulean.
Semi-Retired
Tell me, would you kill to save a life?
[Apr 20, 2012 12:00:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Aeternis

You are allowed to use a non-electrical instrument to accompany your song. A keyboard is allowed if you only use plain piano sound. Acapella singing is perfectly fine as well.

That means you are allowed one instrument, not more than one.

[Apr 20, 2012 3:01:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
oldseadogie

Question: Do we have to sing?

Or can we write a song with just say the words, story like? For lack of a better term for the word.
[Apr 22, 2012 4:54:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
x_starfire_x

May we form a collaboration? (one person writing the lyrics, one person singing/performing - and entering as one account eligible for one prize)
Angelira [Ceru] & Vespera [Em]

Avatar by Yumisa, Kurenai, Seapint, Ivy and Daeva!

~Art Gallery~
~Commissions~
[Apr 22, 2012 5:55:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://vainia.deviantart.com [Link]  Go to top 
CapnKkatz

May I ask how the judging will be weighted? I'm guessing you will judge on lyrics, melody and vocal ability. How much weight will be given to each area? Lol, really can't sing, so hoping lyrics/melody will hold more weight. If vocals is most important, I'll probably opt not to enter....would hate to make anyone listen expecting a seriously good vocal, lol!
Greylady, Meridian & Emerald
Greyladyy on Cerulean
Cronus tells ye, "...it's Hera's doing. She spread those horrid lies of me eating poor innocent babies. *burp*"
Cronus tells ye, "When in doubt blame Hera"
[Apr 23, 2012 8:22:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Aeternis

Do we have to sing? Or can we write a song with just say the words, story like? For lack of a better term for the word.
No, as speaking is a kind of plain melody, you may speak or rap.

As there is no way to see if someone wrote the song he's singing himself, you may build "teams". Every pirate may only be part of one entry.
If a "team entry" qualifies for a prize (and every entry does), the normal prize will be given only once, trinkets will be awarded to each team member.

May I ask how the judging will be weighted? I'm guessing you will judge on lyrics, melody and vocal ability. How much weight will be given to each area?
I won't exactly say how judging will be held, but the actual singing is less than one-third of the total points.

[Apr 23, 2012 11:01:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Phamy

Do we have to explain why we choose for a certain melody or lyrics?
[May 11, 2012 7:45:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Aeternis

No, you don't have to explain a why. You may do so, but it will not be considered at judging.

[May 11, 2012 7:47:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Phamy

Tx I entered and I was just wondering. This is really a fun competition
[May 11, 2012 7:49:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hikariks

I think you said it but if you enter as a team -example: one playing an instrument and the other wrote the lyrics and sang- would that be possible? :o and if it was, how would one put it in the entry thread? :o
Yumisa World Wide ;)
Your Favourite Cookie Monster <3op
Can't find me? Im on Deviant Art!
[May 12, 2012 6:32:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jongy5

You'd probably have to get together with your Mystery Music Man and put the audios together and submit it as one entry with both names?
Musicologist : Self-proclaimed Master Minstrel mostly of Meridian
Clotho tells ye, "I love your musical art, thank you for sharing!"

Avvy by the awesome Velternal!
[May 12, 2012 6:33:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jackingg

Will you be entering this contest, Musicologist :3.
Ivytheblade

Not intended for those with weak constitutions

Now officially dating half your Parley Trolls.
[May 12, 2012 6:35:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jongy5

...Perhaps...

Musicologist approves of this competition! (thumbs up!)

[May 12, 2012 6:36:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jackingg

...Perhaps...

Musicologist approves of this competition! (thumbs up!)

That perhaps should be a YES.

I'm looking forward to your entry. Particularly since I ate your piano playing finger.
Ivytheblade

[May 12, 2012 6:38:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jongy5

I sing like a banshee D:

[May 12, 2012 6:44:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jackingg

I sing like a banshee D:

Did that stop me O___________O

Down by the Reeds
A twisted Path Leads
To Soulless Black Banshees who
Breathe out a cold winter breeze
Ivytheblade

[May 12, 2012 6:47:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hikariks

I sing like a banshee D:

Lets act like im the little mermaid and you are medusa :P take my voice lmao
Yumisa World Wide ;)
Your Favourite Cookie Monster <3op
Can't find me? Im on Deviant Art!
[May 12, 2012 8:39:06 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Phamy

I updated my song because the singing had been too low key... And I love all the songs that are out there already!
[May 12, 2012 12:10:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jackingg

I sing like a banshee D:

Lets act like im the little mermaid and you are medusa :P take my voice lmao

Ursula, Yumi! It's Ursula!

:3
Ivytheblade

[May 12, 2012 3:47:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 50   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2014 Three Rings Design, Inc. All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates