• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 92
Posts: 92   Pages: 4   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 10078 times and has 91 replies Next Thread
xelto

Re: Dub price whine thread Reply to this Post

Evony is one of the biggest examples I thought you'd go to, and truthfully with the sad state it's in now, just ugh.

Like I said, it's the one who's name I remember. But there was a period where I went out looking for something to sink my time into other than YPP... and every game I tried, within five minutes, was telling me "Don't like waiting/want powerups? For a small fee..." and my internal response was "Could you at least let me play the scuppering game before trying to sell me stuff... and I'm definitely not interested in games that tell me the way to win is to buy my way to victory."
----------------------------------------
Gurndigarn on Emerald Ocean
"Oh, come on. You jobbed onto a ship called the Cursed Isle Raider and you expected *refined*?"
[Apr 4, 2012 6:12:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hillsmen

Motou man, you need to be honest with yourself here. Making money on YPP involves no skill, it just A) involves using a illegal site to buy poe from poker players or B) skill in poker. Everything that is wrong with this game stems from excess money.
Captainrich
[Apr 4, 2012 7:16:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
darkseid

really? I make nearly none of my money in poker, infact I think I'm down in poker. I instead do the voyages or wager swordfighting.

and why on earth would I pay money to get poe in this game? I oinstead spend my rl money on cheap £10 marketplace games and the occasional big one, I think that's a much more effective use of my money to kill the largest amount of my time.

and in response to your avatar, I have no cookies and if I did I'd eat them without sharing.
Darkseid, Cerulean.
Fleet Officer of Under the Black Flag.
[Apr 5, 2012 4:44:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cnuofesd

skilled swabbies 4 moneys scheme
Capablanca on Emerald
My posts are not my own opinion.
[Apr 5, 2012 5:32:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Setsusa

Motou man, you need to be honest with yourself here. Making money on YPP involves no skill, it just A) involves using a illegal site to buy poe from poker players or B) skill in poker. Everything that is wrong with this game stems from excess money.

Many players don't use either of these methods and have a load of PoE.
Cremate on Emerald.
Motou on Meridian.
[Apr 5, 2012 6:31:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
barrelmonkey

The reason poker elite make so much money off of poker is because everyone sees poker as a get rich quick scheme.
[Apr 5, 2012 7:42:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hillsmen

And because its easy. Like SMH. A greenie could do a cit run. A retarded chimp could do a CI. Yet they reward more than interarch or inter ocean pillages. Lots of logic there.
Captainrich
[Apr 5, 2012 1:19:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
mads0001

My biggest concern is that OOO will go the way of every other "free" game I've ever tried, which in reality turns out to be "We'll let you play a crippled version of the game. If you want to play the real game and [where applicable] stop being target practice for our paying customers, send us real-life money". And that's the biggest reason that YPP is still the only free online game I play. So... yes, threatening to leave is a real threat, at least from me. I've done it to every other game I've tried.

Care to list examples? I haven't found a game of such a category where skill doesn't outweigh credit card players. Granted, early in many games the money players gain a distinct advantage, but that generally dissipates entirely over time in the wake of someone who knows what they are doing. The problem is when you have a player who knows what they are doing and is dumping money into the game, at which point things do balance out, but it takes more time.

I don't see how Y!PP could put something realistically in that would make anyone feel like target practice. Unless you're implying they release double shot sloops or triple shot brigs/frigs for paying customers?

DarkOrbit. It's a fun little browser game, but unless you pay some money you're going to get nowhere slowly, because as soon as you stray from the non-pvp maps, someone that's bought a mahoosive shiny ship and a cloaking device is going to mess you up bigtime!

You can buy the beginner pack and possibly survive for like 20 seconds against a big shiny paid-for-with-cash ship, but ultimately, if you don't buy the big scary ship you're toast.

There's others that are very similar in this regard... I find DDO is one of the better "can be played free without too much trouble" games, but you really need to farm turbine points to get the higher map packs if you're determined to not spend money, and farming isn't fun. Just my humble opinion, like.
rachaelj wrote: 

"your standing in patronising has gone up and is now respected in your archipelago"
spelling corrected by Mads(tm) :P
[Apr 5, 2012 6:07:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ice_devil

Can someone update me on the prices?

Ok, I said I was quitting because of this, but I promised to spend 50k on YPP (although I've never bought dubs on sage :P), so this might be a nice time.
Hellacious/Hellaciouss/Defunct/Hamsterz
Capy tells ye, "I'm sorry... I don't know you well enough yet to allow you cam time!"
Plu tells ye, "screw you..Im interfering in every cade you ever contend&q
[Apr 5, 2012 6:38:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ice_devil

Evony is one of the biggest examples I thought you'd go to, and truthfully with the sad state it's in now, just ugh.

Like I said, it's the one who's name I remember. But there was a period where I went out looking for something to sink my time into other than YPP... and every game I tried, within five minutes, was telling me "Don't like waiting/want powerups? For a small fee..." and my internal response was "Could you at least let me play the scuppering game before trying to sell me stuff... and I'm definitely not interested in games that tell me the way to win is to buy my way to victory."

Also, Evony.
>It's a clone of a thousand other games
>It was made from a company much like BuyPoE: sold currencies on games, this one sold mostly WoW gold
>Company has been in lots of legal trouble
>Company is based in China
>Company stole most of their graphics
>Despite the fact that everyone dumps thousands of dollars into this game that I know, I play it and I'm ranked 20th in the biggest server and have never spent a cent. (also it's pretty lame, I apply my basic life principles to my game time on Evony. Do it for the lulz)
Hellacious/Hellaciouss/Defunct/Hamsterz
Capy tells ye, "I'm sorry... I don't know you well enough yet to allow you cam time!"
Plu tells ye, "screw you..Im interfering in every cade you ever contend&q
[Apr 5, 2012 6:40:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Harshex

[Insert whine for 3k dubs]
ExuberanceSalacious of Meridian & Obsidian
Severe of Emerald

Derp.
[Apr 6, 2012 3:37:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Raalala

[Insert whine for 3k dubs]

^

Got a dragon yet Sala? xD
~ Bambeh

Johnydepp says; 'BatBam, your f-ing play on words fetish'
Priapus says; 'Mate, look at his screen, you could play chess on that.'

[Apr 6, 2012 3:50:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
anchovygirl

All I can say is...

Profit!
Anchovia
[Apr 6, 2012 9:51:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sverdrup

Anchovy wrote: 
All I can say is...

Profit!

Supply and Demand ... let those who serve it ... profit.
Sverdrup, CPTN of Schroedinger's Cat, Heisenberg's Uncertainty, Meridian
[Apr 6, 2012 10:59:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wrs1864b

All I can say is...

Profit!

Well, let's see. Each gold box cost 12 dubs. Each dub costs $0.20-$0.25. Each dragon familiar takes, on average, 1000 gold boxes. Multiply it all together, each dragon means OOO has earned $2400-$3000. Multiply by the number of dragons found today, and, yeah, I suspect OOO has made a nice profit today.
Algol can not assert the truth of all statements in this post and still be consistent.
[Apr 6, 2012 11:08:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
joandart

I suspect OOO has made a nice profit today.

I am more than happy to pay a salary bonus to whoever thought up having the piggy banks squeal when you crack them.
Herowena of Cerulean
Still Sleeping With The Fishes

Dexla drew it.
[Apr 6, 2012 11:15:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
xelto

Well, let's see. Each gold box cost 12 dubs. Each dub costs $0.20-$0.25. Each dragon familiar takes, on average, 1000 gold boxes. Multiply it all together, each dragon means OOO has earned $2400-$3000. Multiply by the number of dragons found today, and, yeah, I suspect OOO has made a nice profit today.

[minor quibble]Some of those doubloons would have been spent on other things-- badges, ships, etc, that won't be bought because the people making PoE purchases for doubloons won't be able to afford them.[/minor quibble]

Of course, that's a very small part. I suspect that there has been a significant cash purchasing of doubloons today. I saw a sell order on Emerald for over 10,000 dubs, and another one for 6000 dubs. There's a good chance that those doubloons didn't exist before today.
"Oh, come on. You jobbed onto a ship called the Cursed Isle Raider and you expected *refined*?"
[Apr 6, 2012 11:34:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
JamesStGeorg

Personally I dislike intensely gambling by purchase. I have no problems with paying dubs and or poe for an item I want, like a pet, ship LE or otherwise. Had these new items been decently honest straight for purchase at whatever price by direct choice of colour too, that would be fine we can just choose to pay or not.

Chance on freely given out things like trinkets is fine, even using trinkets as a third currency cost to get certain items.

Further it is plain wrong to reissue gold items sold originally as supposedly LE.

That some clearly knew in advance of everyone else of the upcoming need for dubs has also been poor practice. Effectively enabling 'insider trading' with non public information.

High dub prices will deter new players and the task of growing new participation that ocean merging seems to be about, a bigger player base per ocean.

As with black boxes in a short time I suppose the gold boxes will become a forgotten irrelevance.

A great shame, Some items would have been nice to have. As it is it just tends to put me off buying anything any more. I do not furnish my real home by gambling on what is delivered in a box randomly from the shop.

Oh and the Unicorn looks like something out of fairyland, feeble.
Jstgeorge of Emerald.
[Apr 6, 2012 12:20:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
darkseid

That some clearly knew in advance of everyone else of the upcoming need for dubs has also been poor practice. Effectively enabling 'insider trading' with non public information.

how would people ahve got this information without it at some poitn being revealed to the public.

just because you don't regularly check forums where this thread has been up for a while, nor check ice... where I'm assuming the information on this thread was garnered.

I'd be willing to bet tht this information was incredibly public and you in no way should feel hard done by.
Darkseid, Cerulean.
[Apr 6, 2012 1:18:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dylan

I find DDO is one of the better "can be played free without too much trouble" games, but you really need to farm turbine points to get the higher map packs if you're determined to not spend money, and farming isn't fun. Just my humble opinion, like.

The free part of DDO is actually better in many ways than the paid part, inasmuch that it eventually gets pretty tough, but there is plenty of content before that.

If you want to play a great sandbox game without spending anything over a long period, play YPP on a doubloon ocean (but don't expect to be captain of a huge crew, or have a big house or loads of ships).

If you want to play a great RPG for free, DDO will not cost real life money for at least 20 hours (more likely 40), and you can repeat that experience with different classes on different servers to get freebies if you would like to, which in my humble opinion is not farming.

Both YPP and DDO have awesometastic value for money if you spend (one-off) $50 or less; SK is more like DDO in many ways although I'd recommend spending $10 or $20 (per character, however, although one is enough) there if you want to be efficient.

YPP was of course ground-breaking (for the West) when the doubloon model was released. The major disadvantage is of course that people will whine about dub prices (jokingly or not).
[Apr 6, 2012 1:20:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
_Amnesty_

/rant
So today, I decided I wanted to sell my unnamed tan monkey so I could have some PoE to throw around and have fun with since RL has been stupidly stressful. Come to find out, their value has gone ridiculously down because of THE IDIOTICALLY PLACED GOLD BOXES. I thought, "Okay, whatever. I want a new portrait anyway." After selling said monkey for 800k, I bought a new outfit and took a portrait (DUBS WERE ALMOST 3K. THREE THOUSAND POE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!), and bought 5 gold boxes - SPRING GREEN TRINKETS WOO /wrists - and am now left with 167k and almost as poor as I started.

Puzzles Pirates, I hate you.
Amnesty,
Emerald.

Tilinkitar!
[Apr 6, 2012 11:01:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lordchicken9

/rant
So today, I decided I wanted to sell my unnamed tan monkey so I could have some PoE to throw around and have fun with since RL has been stupidly stressful. Come to find out, their value has gone ridiculously down because of THE IDIOTICALLY PLACED GOLD BOXES. I thought, "Okay, whatever. I want a new portrait anyway." After selling said monkey for 800k, I bought a new outfit and took a portrait (DUBS WERE ALMOST 3K. THREE THOUSAND POE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!), and bought 5 gold boxes - SPRING GREEN TRINKETS WOO /wrists - and am now left with 167k and almost as poor as I started.

Puzzles Pirates, I hate you.

wait what xD? I dont get how they went down cause of that D:
Chickenlord on Emerald

Helen Keller once said: The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched, they must be felt with the heart.
How would she know XD?

Captinary did the avatar :o with my recommandations on the
[Apr 7, 2012 1:01:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Chiptharip

Dozens of familiars (tan and dragon) have been added to the game in the past 24 hours. Not that I think the HWFO is completely justified, but the price of things has been goofy the past day.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Chiptharip at Apr 7, 2012 1:25:00 PM]
[Apr 7, 2012 1:22:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lordchicken9

oh tan familiars are in gold boxes too? thats st00pid >.< are they actually trying to kill prices on purpose xD
Chickenlord on Emerald

Helen Keller once said: The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched, they must be felt with the heart.
How would she know XD?

Captinary did the avatar :o with my recommandations on the
[Apr 7, 2012 2:04:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
darkseid

oh tan familiars are in gold boxes too? thats st00pid >.< are they actually trying to kill prices on purpose xD

I think the're just killing it for when they bring out the gt your fam mission, which is unlocked by doign all the learn too and free stuff missions.

they then explain you get more fams by doing more difficult challenges, even daring SMH's... but also give one out for achieving chief petty officer in the navy.

just a theory.

I also got my monkey in a mystery box so I shouldn't complain too much.
Darkseid, Cerulean.
[Apr 7, 2012 2:31:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wokbok117

You all don't get it! OOOs had to find a way to stop botters from botting and increasing the PoE earned from selling a dub makes it most cost efficient to buy from them. Don't you see it! The most logical solution to the botting and PoE selling problem is to double dub costs on the exchange!

-Wok
[Apr 7, 2012 2:36:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
darkseid

You all don't get it! OOOs had to find a way to stop botters from botting and increasing the PoE earned from selling a dub makes it most cost efficient to buy from them. Don't you see it! The most logical solution to the botting and PoE selling problem is to double dub costs on the exchange!

-Wok

well no, as the price of dubs increase MORE people will be wanting to buy poe with rl money as the're finding it harder and harder to compete.
Darkseid, Cerulean.
[Apr 7, 2012 3:02:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wokbok117

-Wok

well no, as the price of dubs increase MORE people will be wanting to buy poe with rl money as the're finding it harder and harder to compete.

Not sure if srs.

-Wok
[Apr 7, 2012 3:08:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
xelto

Not sure if srs.

Actually, yes. The people who buy PoE from PoEfarmers have less incentive to do so, since they can get more for their money using the in-game doubloon exchange, without the risk of being banned.
[Apr 7, 2012 3:11:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wrs1864b

Actually, yes. The people who buy PoE from PoEfarmers have less incentive to do so, since they can get more for their money using the in-game doubloon exchange, without the risk of being banned.

You are assuming that the price of PoE via third party sites don't adjust also.

Being banned is just one risk of buying via third parties, being ripped off, having to find/understand the other websites, and spending the time to find the other party in-game are other reasons. To the person selling PoE via third party sites, there is nothing comparable in-game to getting RL money.

I suspect the ratio of in-game PoE per $ and third-party PoE per $ will remain about the same and stuff like gold boxes will have no long term effect.
Algol can not assert the truth of all statements in this post and still be consistent.
[Apr 7, 2012 3:30:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 92   Pages: 4   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates