• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 283
Posts: 283   Pages: 10   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 54797 times and has 282 replies Next Thread
Clotho
OceanMaster

Limited Edition Portrait Background - BYOB4 / Adventure edition! [Winners announced] Reply to this Post

Ahoy again, everyone! It's portrait background time!
Winners!

Theme:
This month we are going back to the classics, with another BYOB! No, not Bring Yer Own Bottle, but Bring Yer Own Background. We are giving no restrictions on theme because we think it'll be fun to see what you come up with! This means that if you've had a brilliant idea for a background that just hasn't fit in with one of our themes, you can dig it out and give it a go. A previous entry had potential but wasn't quite right? An unfinished entry? A missed deadline? An entry you put in two years ago that you think would be popular? Bring it on. We are prepared to be surprised and delighted!
Edit: Theme may also be specific to: Adventure!

Submissions:
Entrants will create original backgrounds that are consistent with the theme and style of the game. The image must look sensible with characters placed on it in any of the orientations possible for its size.
Entries must fit the appropriate scale.

1-pirate backgrounds: 348 x 650
2-pirate backgrounds: 696 x 650
Large backgrounds: 1600 x 1170
Expansive backgrounds: 2000 x 1275

Reworking entries:
To update an entry, please upload the latest version with the same file name as the previous version of the entry. If you want an alternative version rather than a replacement, multiple entries per artist are also acceptable. You can enter multiple times for any theme.

Only original art is accepted. You must create the images yourself.
Plagiarized entries, photographs, and other unsuitable entries may be removed from the entry page without notice.
You may use reference materials for your work, but if you base your work substantially on a reference, please acknowledge it in your forum post. You do not need to acknowledge any game art used as reference material.

Upload your images to the YPPedia, name the file according to the naming scheme listed there, and also post links to the thumbnails here in this thread, for comment. If you want your pirate name to appear rather than your account name should you win, please follow the image tag scheme below carefully.

Note: updated instructions for destination filename
The arrrtists have requested a change to the naming of files uploaded to YPPedia for this contest. This naming scheme is not the same as the general YPPedia file upload scheme, but I have warned the YPPedia admins, and we're hoping the name scheme is distinctive enough that it won't cause undue confusion. I believe it also means that the images will no longer be sorted by the alphabetical categories. Note that, at least for now, this is in addition to the requirements for the image tags. Here is the format they want for the filename on YPPedia:

monthly_nameyouwanttoappearingame_title.png

All in lower case (but YPPedia will change the first m into M - don't worry about this). So, if I want my portrait background to appear as Clotho's Spindle, I would use:
monthly_clotho_spindle.png

Note: updated instructions for tags in summary field
The tag for this contest is "mar12contest" so that we know which entries to consider when judging starts. The summary field for the upload, then, should be:
{{contesttag|accountname|creditname|portraittitle}}
where
"contesttag" is replaced by this month's tag shown below, "accountname" is replaced by your own forum name
"creditname" is replaced by either your forum name again, or your pirate name, whichever you want credited with the background
"portraittitle" is replaced by your suggested title for the portrait background (no spaces)

e.g. {{mar12contest|Clotho|Spinner|Weavery}}
or {{mar12contest|Cassopia|Whitenose|Ship}}

If the name to credit the portrait with is the same as the account name, it would go in twice.
e.g. {{mar12contest|Clotho|Clotho|Threads}}

Judging:
Quality of work, style, how well the background fits with the game's theme, and how well the placement of the portrait characters fit into the background are the primary determining factors.

The entries will be judged in the Three Rings offices by the arrrtists and the winner will be put into future releases as a Limited Edition portrait background. The portrait background may also be re-used for limited times later, and even (if appropriate) adopted as a longer-term or permanent portrait background, rather than a limited duration one. The same winning artist may be chosen more than once for different entries. Entrants may be asked by the arrrtists to make small changes to their designs after the judging.

Submitted works are eligible for winning future contests. Artists who entered backgrounds in a previous contest: if they are eligible for the current contest, please enter them again! We would love to reconsider them. Likewise, if a background does not win, it can be submitted for future contests, as long as it fits within the theme of each contest.

Prizes:
A winning entry will be included in the in-game list of available portrait backgrounds, usually for a limited duration. Anyone in the game can use it when it is available.
Each winning entrant will also receive a Puzzle Pirates real-life item and a pack of playing cards in the mail, a free copy of his/her portrait in-game, choice of Fishheadred or Greenbones egg or doll, and a clothing item of her choice in the color(s) of her choice. The clothing item can be any item that can be ordered from a tailoring shoppe without needing a design or reputation.
In the event of the same artist winning multiple prizes or multiple months, an additional clothing item can be substituted for the real-life prizes if the artist does not feel like having a household full of Puzzle Pirates Paraphernalia.

Deadline:
March 15th 2012, 11:59pm game time

Suggestions:
-- Make it look like it came right out of the game.
--Get your line weights down, and compare with existing portraits to be sure.
--Keep your lighting consistent with the lighting on the pirate portrait art.
--Choose a scene that many in the game would like to use.
--Take your time and rework, going to others for advice and critique.
--A very small signature in the lower right corner is acceptable.
--In general avoid words - if you do use them, use them minimally, and only when they are not central to the understanding of the portrait.
--Pay close attention to your composition - the composition of backgrounds related to pirate placement is a major consideration and sometimes otherwise good backgrounds are eliminated because the nicest elements are blocked by the pirates once they are in frame.

Other suggestions and links:
Questions, discussion, entries and feedback can all be posted here. Good luck!

Para español, haz clic aquí.
----------------------------------------
[Edit 4 times, last edit by Clotho at Mar 20, 2012 7:44:22 PM]
[Feb 16, 2012 10:29:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cattrin

Re: Limited Edition Portrait Background - BYOB4 edition! [Deadline: March 15] Reply to this Post

Note to self, if you're going to start a portrait background in the first few days of the competition, remember to finish it. Oh well, there's always next year. :)

Anyways, yay, BYOB! c: I was going to revamp my old TH background from last year, but something similar already was picked last month.

I think I'm going to try a larger sized with a bit of aKraken problem going on.
Cattrin of Cerulean
Avatar by Apollo (we miss you :c), Blakbead, Angelira, Coriander, and Accelerator!

X tells ye, "Stop yo drawing fool!"

[Feb 16, 2012 12:15:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
saltysharpe

Re: Limited Edition Portrait Background - BYOB4 edition! [Deadline: March 15] Reply to this Post

Oh the possibilities. I feel a bit lost without a theme but you never know I might come up with something and give it a go. the last one got me hooked I think
Meridian ftw

My Deviant Art Gallery
[Feb 16, 2012 12:29:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Countrymommy

I think I'm going to try a larger sized with a bit of aKraken problem going on.

Love the concept! Can't wait to see it finished!
Abagaile of Emerald
~ Avatars by Apollo, Cattrin, Inghild, Angelira, Ecastasy, and Phillite ~
[Feb 16, 2012 3:16:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
x_starfire_x

Are we allowed to bring movie characters? If so, I have dibs on Pirates of the Caribbean and Treasure Planet <3 XD
Angelira - Cerulean | Vespera - Emerald

Avatar by Yumisa, Kurenai, Seapint, Ivy and Daeva!
[Feb 16, 2012 6:13:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://vainia.deviantart.com [Link]  Go to top 
cattrin

Are we allowed to bring movie characters? If so, I have dibs on Pirates of the Caribbean and Treasure Planet <3 XD

xD Well, I think those are copyrighted characters, and then wouldn't be your own work? Basing off them in general might be OK, but using exact characters or locations...probably not.
Cattrin of Cerulean
Avatar by Apollo (we miss you :c), Blakbead, Angelira, Coriander, and Accelerator!

[Edit 2 times, last edit by cattrin at Feb 16, 2012 7:14:26 PM]
[Feb 16, 2012 7:12:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
x_starfire_x

Yeah, that's why I was asking *cough*Clotho* if that would be okay xD

like... Captain sparrow drawn in the puzzle pirates style - I would love a portrait with him myself XD <3

[Feb 16, 2012 7:18:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://vainia.deviantart.com [Link]  Go to top 
Clotho
OceanMaster

@Cattrin
You can do the kraken idea and finish the other one too!

@saltysharpe
Having no theme is the theme, can't wait to see what you come up with :)

@Angelira
Like Cattrin said, drawing inspiration from anything is allowed, but it has to be your own original creation. Then again, who wouldn't want a portrait with da Captain?
[Feb 16, 2012 10:43:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cattrin

Yeah, that's why I was asking *cough*Clotho* if that would be okay xD

Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to seem like I was undermining you Clotho, I thought it was an open question. :c

@Cattrin
You can do the kraken idea and finish the other one too!

Oh, that's true. Yay! :D
Cattrin of Cerulean

[Edit 1 times, last edit by cattrin at Feb 17, 2012 3:30:25 AM]
[Feb 17, 2012 2:49:06 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
saltysharpe

[quote]@Cattrin
Think the kracken Idea is great really can't wait to see what it looks like with some depth and colour

@clotho
Fine then i will accept your challenge and that no theme is a theme I am still Idea free though...

@Angelira
everyone loves jack :D
Meridian ftw

My Deviant Art Gallery
[Feb 17, 2012 3:38:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
saltysharpe

Thinking of maybe doing a puzzle pirates bake sale... sounds a bit strange but i like cake...

a little stall outside on a piratey street with pies and cake (using food furni as refferences)
Thats my only idea at the moment what dya think:?
Meridian ftw

My Deviant Art Gallery
[Feb 17, 2012 5:09:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
x_starfire_x

This is like the gr. 5 art assignment that led me to doom; 'you can draw anything you want' - it's so difficult because there's endless possibilities, and my mind can't choose from all these ideas; I need boundaries and limits!!! XD (I ended up drawing bananas after all that) :P

@ cattrin - wah sorry I just wanted it 'officially' confirmed, thank you for replying though, I appreciate it :) Nothing bad about confirming something twice :P

@ clotho - I thought so, just thought I'd try asking; the thought of getting one with Jack overwhelmed my thoughts that were telling me that I obviously couldn't bring copyrighted characters xD <3

@ salty - I know right? who doesn't muahaha :P And I like your idea! I think it's cute and really haven't been done before :D

[Feb 17, 2012 6:32:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://vainia.deviantart.com [Link]  Go to top 
deathtolll

So, this month seeming it is BYOB, I've decided to go with a Roman type theme.

I have no clue what else to add, bring me your imaginations?

Edit: Removed previous version of image to prevent latency on some computers. (Thank me, ehe.)

DM

@Angelira, I quite like the concept of the Krakens aboard the vessel :D

Dricenticore says, "Normally I don't believe people who say they're girls on the internet but since you went from friendly to hostile in about 3 seconds"

Deathmessage on the Emerald Ocean.
[Edit 2 times, last edit by deathtolll at Feb 19, 2012 7:16:54 AM]
[Feb 17, 2012 6:44:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
saltysharpe

So, this month seeming it is BYOB, I've decided to go with a Roman type theme.

I have no clue what else to add, bring me your imaginations?

I think the pillars should be warmer in colour. I don't remember ever seing a roman building with grey stone.

Maybe add some gold leaf type detailing around the bases of the pillars. maybe grape vines?

hope that helps in some way :)
Meridian ftw

My Deviant Art Gallery
[Feb 17, 2012 7:14:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
deathtolll

Thank you heaps for your criticism, I'll see what I can do. :)

Dricenticore says, "Normally I don't believe people who say they're girls on the internet but since you went from friendly to hostile in about 3 seconds"

[Feb 17, 2012 7:33:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
saltysharpe

also maybe you could move the pillars to the left a bit so they look more centred.

Still not even done so much as a sketch for mine yet.
Meridian ftw

My Deviant Art Gallery
[Feb 17, 2012 7:36:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
x_starfire_x

@Angelira, I quite like the concept of the Krakens aboard the vessel :D

Ehehe sorry but that wasn't me XD Nice concept of roman pillars though! I agree with salty, it looks a bit dreary; it can be fixed with warm highlights :)

A couple things to add; it looks a bit 2-D, but it can be fixed with shadows, detailed shading at the base of the pillars - also I really like what you did with your name at the bottom; maybe replace the dark void with a stone wall with roman inscriptions in the same way? I think that'd be pretty cool :)

[Feb 17, 2012 7:52:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://vainia.deviantart.com [Link]  Go to top 
saltysharpe

was really hoping to do a smaller background this time but its looking to be a large one again... just doing some scribbles now.
Meridian ftw

My Deviant Art Gallery
[Feb 17, 2012 8:08:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
colavibes

@ DeathMessage

I think your background has really great potential! The Romans had a wonderful art culture, and there is a lot of ways you could go. This just tipped my memory about some of the things I learned in my art history class, specifically something called the Panathenaic Frieze (pic below), which is Greek, but the Romans got a lot of their culture from Ancient Greece so I thought it might still be fitting! It basically was almost like a border on the Parthenon, running over 500 ft, but enough of random facts. I think if you added something like this to your background (either whitewashed or with restored colour would be fun!), you could totally do a fun pirate-y take on it and it would add some extra interest!

Also, their columns were usually ribbed, so you could add some extra vertical lines around your columns to make them a little more detailed. If you get really ambitious, you could even try adding a statue or two. Romans particularly liked action statues, because it requires so much more skill to balance a one-footed statue, or statues of their gods. Or, you could do a table with plates of food, like grapes and cheese and wine, to add a bit more colour. Especially good if you put a tablecloth under with lots of good, Roman, drapery! Or, lastly, (sorry to throw so many opinions at you!) you could put a beautiful Italian landscape in the background, either with some lawns and those classic Tuscan trees, or a vineyard, or looking out onto the Mediterranean Sea. There are so many ways to run with your theme, I can't wait to see it progress! Best luck!
-Cayenne of Emerald-
[Edit 3 times, last edit by colavibes at Feb 17, 2012 8:35:15 AM]
[Feb 17, 2012 8:32:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
deathtolll

@Colavibes, Thanks you greatly for the facts and criticism. :)

Obviously still not completed, however I have made some minor changes.

• Aligned the pillars to the left slightly.
  • Added a sunset and clouds.
  • Added a shadow on the ground.

[Feb 17, 2012 9:37:39 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
saltysharpe

@cayenne
pretty sure it is just greek pillars that are ribbed... roman pillars do tend to be smooth
Meridian ftw

My Deviant Art Gallery
[Feb 17, 2012 9:43:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Yngve6

Well here is my idea for the byob edition. As I mentioned in my avvy thread I always wanted to take some of van Gogh's master pieces and turn them into a background. Probably not pp style enough :( But I'm gonna give it a go.

Inspired by "starry night " and seeing this video really made me want to use that as an inspiration.
I want to piratify it a bit, turning that big cloud into a ghostly ship (Flying dutchman would be totaly appropriate for van Gogh :D)
Then add a bit of stars, some soil for the pirates to stand on and perhaps an ocean background. But the main feature must be the stars and the ghost ship.

First doodles (still needs a lot of work, just a rough concept)

Personally I think these pirates could look good in a van Gogh painting :) What do you guys think? Could this work for a background?
Inghild on Meridian
Yngve on Emerald
[Feb 17, 2012 10:58:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
saltysharpe

Its an interesting concept although I am not sure if it really works or not.
maybe you could do them standing in a gallery with a big painting behind them with that in it. as I am not sure them standing in the painting would work with the van gough texture.
Meridian ftw

My Deviant Art Gallery
[Feb 17, 2012 11:17:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Yngve6

Hmm, not a bad idea. I could do both and see what looks better :)
Inghild on Meridian
Yngve on Emerald
[Feb 17, 2012 11:25:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Distructible

Here is my work so far:

I'm trying to add a ship somewhere there and maybe clouds.
Suggestions are welcome! :D
Masters on Emerald.
[Feb 17, 2012 4:00:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Yngve6

@Distructible: That water looks really nice. Wouldn't put in too much, that would probably destroy the light in the water.
Perhaps a seagul in the sky and make it look like the pirates are standing on a ship or a dock. Dock would work I think.

As for my own, refined it a little and going slightly mad for putting in all those little touches. I'm beginning to understand why vincent went insane in the end :D

Inghild on Meridian
Yngve on Emerald
[Feb 17, 2012 4:34:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
saltysharpe

@ masters really love the water. can't wait to see some more :)

@Inghild looking good... flows much better now it has a bit more definition...and actually the pirates dont look quite so out of place now. :)

I'm just critiquing for a bit as I am struggling to come up with anything that hasnt annoyed me into not drawing it anymore. you'd think byob would be easy.
Meridian ftw

My Deviant Art Gallery
[Feb 17, 2012 6:02:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Yngve6

Thanks Salty :)
I like your idea of the pie and cookie stand. I was thinking you could perhaps incorporate some harbour scene to it.

Something like this or this
Without the people. But just a ship unloading in the backgroud with perhaps a cart with rum or something.
Inghild on Meridian
Yngve on Emerald
[Feb 18, 2012 4:01:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
saltysharpe

I like the harbour idea though. will do some doodles and give that a go... although I'm still not promising I still wont change ideas completely.
I dont feel to confident about drawing a ship...
I can draw natural things but as soon as you throw something man made in their I cant do it... its all the symmetry and straight lines!
Meridian ftw

My Deviant Art Gallery
[Feb 18, 2012 4:26:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Distructible

Thank you for the idea of adding seagull! Looks like this now..

Masters on Emerald.
[Feb 18, 2012 4:45:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 283   Pages: 10   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates