• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 13
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 2070 times and has 12 replies Next Thread
Frumpy

new! Reply to this Post

I have had an account for quite a while, but never really play on it. only the odd times when i get bored or when something intresting happens. Can someone explain how to get more poe please. As i have asked other people and all they say is to pilly but it seems to be taking for ever!
[Feb 13, 2012 2:23:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Zombiegoonz

Re: new! Reply to this Post

Well pillaging is really it. i mean if your good with poker then thats another way. But overall Pillage and SMH (Sea Monster Hunts) are the main ways to make your riches

Fair winds
----------------------------------------
Zombiegoonzz on Emerald
[Feb 13, 2012 2:45:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LJAmethyst

Blockading is the best way to earn money, risk-free and badge-free. Currently, contention blockades are disabled on the oceans due to the merge, but when they are re-activated, you will be able to make many thousands of PoE in a few hours by simply jobbing in large blockades. You can even do this cross-ocean, if you are a doublooner, and send the doubloons back to your home ocean on the exchange.

I recommend this method highly to people who are not good at poker or don't want to outright buy doubloons with cash. All you need to master is one duty puzzle and play it to your heart's content.
Retired as of August 2015.
2 Timothy 4:7
[Feb 13, 2012 3:10:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.newadvent.org/bible/jon001.htm [Link]  Go to top 
Zombiegoonz

Blockading is the best way to earn money, risk-free and badge-free. Currently, contention blockades are disabled on the oceans due to the merge, but when they are re-activated, you will be able to make many thousands of PoE in a few hours by simply jobbing in large blockades. You can even do this cross-ocean, if you are a doublooner, and send the doubloons back to your home ocean on the exchange.

I recommend this method highly to people who are not good at poker or don't want to outright buy doubloons with cash. All you need to master is one duty puzzle and play it to your heart's content.

Thats actually not a bad idea. never heard/thought of that before
Zombiegoonzz on Emerald
[Feb 13, 2012 3:16:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
pinkythepink

I'm not sure about doubloon oceans (I think you need a badge... right?), but over on Cerulean, being subscribed, I make most of my poe in Sea Monster Hunts. Cursed Isles is okay, Haunted Seas is alright... but Atlantis <3 mmmm delicious Atlantis. There's lots of poe to be made out there fighting them. If you go with the right crew you can make loads of poe a run. Pay-outs and chests are rated by how well you puzzle, I believe.

The other good way to make poe is jobbing in a flotilla. (I never drive, I assume the drivers make good poe too.) They're basically like blockades, but not for an island and against Brigand Kings. (or I could be totally wrong on that. I really don't drive.) Sinking flotillas pay better than non-sinking, and you get paid just for being on the ship when things sink. The crew yer with probably wants you to puzzle, but it's possible to just catch a ride and rake in the poe.
Amelia of the Cerulean Ocean

(My Etsy)
(My deviantART)
[Edit 1 times, last edit by pinkythepink at Feb 13, 2012 6:24:40 PM]
[Feb 13, 2012 6:22:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://pinkythepink.deviantart.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
Bbqshapes

While jobbing in Blockades can be very profitable, there isn't always a blockade happening when your online, so pillaging is still your best bet for a steady income. SMH can be good, but these require a badge and don't nessicarily pay more than a good pillage.

The tip is to get onto the right pillages that will pay your more money. Follow these tips.
1. If you haven't got a few Master ratings in the duty puzzles(sails,rigs,guns,carp,bilge), i would suggest that you practice with the navy until you can achieve some of these ratings. Some captains will only job pirates with this skill. Typically these "elite" pillages will perform better financially. Not just because of a better win loss ratio, but also a ship with skilled pirates will attract better briglands with better payouts.

2. Usually in the voyage panel you will see the name of the Officer running the pillage. Also if there is a chat bubble, read it. If it says something like "master +", then you know its an "elite pillage.
If you click this pirates name you will see their stats. Look at the Battle nav stat and experience closely but also note their experience in other puzzles. More experience in puzzles is a general indicator that they have been playing the game longer, thus understand the game mechanics a bit more.

3. A quick but inacurate indicator to see what pillages are "elite" and which ones aren't is to look at what type of ships the ship is hunting for. If you see red (Hard to very hard briglands) you can expect that that officer knows what he is doing. Although don't rely on this method.

4. Lastly before you apply, check the booty division. most these days are even or jobbers delight, which is what you want. Just don't job for Jobbers bane or Cruel shelf, as you wont get paid nearly as much as the other people on the ship.

Good luck and remember that even the best pillages with the best navvers sometimes go pear shaped, but thats just part of the game. Don't take these tips as concrete rules, just guidelines. Most important thing is to have fun. Good luck.
Bbqshapes

Better than Cheese and Bacon.
(Dramatic music)
[Feb 13, 2012 6:53:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LJAmethyst

Many, many, many pillages that claim to be "elite" and may be screening for Master+ and may have even changed the voyage configuration to hunt Very Hard Brigands... are not so elite. Be sure to check the battle navigation standing of the officer in charge. Check his reputations and trophies (Bowl of Blood: a good sign; Hair of the Dog: a not so good sign.) Check his/her route and ask him/her whether s/he plans to duty nav during the voyage. If you're not on a hard route, you won't get hard brigands no matter how hard you try. If someone doesn't duty nav, you'll get green brigands and barbarians in random spawns. A truly elite pillage will have all these hallmarks and the officer in charge will be able to quickly answer questions such as these with positive responses. If s/he can't then beware! You can waste a lot of time on "elite" pillages that pay 300 or less per battle when you might as well be on a greenie run.

Disclaimer: I don't run elite pillages and I don't claim to. I run recruiting pillages for those of all standings on medium ships in my crew.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by LJAmethyst at Feb 13, 2012 8:35:46 PM]
[Feb 13, 2012 8:35:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.newadvent.org/bible/jon001.htm [Link]  Go to top 
Quitex

Check his reputations and trophies (Bowl of Blood: a good sign; Hair of the Dog: a not so good sign)

Never thought about this! Good thinking!
Quitex, everywhere, mainly Ice.
Monarch of Cows
Joly wrote: 
Someone asked why Quitex would do this as a rogue. All I can say is, well, he's QUITEX! No one knows what he will do next, ESPECIALLY Quitex.

[Feb 14, 2012 9:43:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
darkseid

Check his reputations and trophies (Bowl of Blood: a good sign; Hair of the Dog: a not so good sign)

Never thought about this! Good thinking!

Weird thing is, I still want hair of the dog. I just have no idea why I'd put the effort into getting it.

for the knowledge that you have shown about game paramaters and the obviously casual play style you od thne I would suggest pillaging.

I'm assuming you've not subscribed on blue oceans nor buy dubloons on greens, considering the problem is cash I'm guessing you don't have enough to buy dubloons off the exchange on green oceans. Also pillaging is fun, when you move off it onto other things you will/should be nostalgic... so milk it for all it's worth.

Also try to get good at SF/rumble you can make iwnnings at the tables in inns, but the main reason is it makes for steadier wins
Darkseid, Cerulean.
Fleet Officer of Under the Black Flag.
[Feb 14, 2012 2:53:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Frumpy

Ok well thank'you everybody as now i know many ways to earn more POE i have had my account since 2004 i think... And last year i think i went on puzzle pirates about 3 times...
As now from this year i hope i am going to be on it alot more because once i have got enough money and doubloons i will go and buy a sloop or something cheap.. I have also had permission to buy doubloons by real cash so might do that to help me out a little bit i think at the moment i have got 3 or 4k and 1 doubloon but hopefully that will change from all your helpful advice...

Once again Thank You.
[Feb 15, 2012 12:48:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
MikeBerry

Check his reputations and trophies (Bowl of Blood: a good sign; Hair of the Dog: a not so good sign.)

I would argue that the trophies are not worth checking. Bowl of Blood could have been won jobbing on other people's pillages, and Hair of the Dog is usually held by people who 'float' ships empty just to move them at no cost. That was a very common practise indeed before 'swabby transport' was introduced.

Edit to add: Of course if they hold Ultimate Bnav trophy then that is different :)
Moggle
[Edit 1 times, last edit by MikeBerry at Feb 16, 2012 5:44:15 AM]
[Feb 16, 2012 5:43:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LJAmethyst

It seems to me that there are many, many trophies that it would be good to have for an officer leading a pillage, and I'd venture to say that it doesn't matter if they earned them while jobbing, that it would still count toward a good pillaging reputation. Players who are hardcore pillagers themselves frequently make the best pillage leaders.

Let's see here, good trophies include:
Gold War Brig (or other ship type)
Army of Darkness
Bowl of Blood
Island Hopper
Golden Spade
Plundered Loot
Lost Figurehead
Imperial Colonel Insignia
Toppled Crown
Bashed Shield
Gold Finius Pennant (or other BK type)
Sixth (or higher) Order of the Jolly Roger
Fencer and/or Scrapper
Gilded Atlas
Ultimate Pirate
Ultimate Battle Navigator
other Ultimate duty puzzles
Radiant Jolly Roger
Champion of Strikes
Blademaster of Strikes
various Seals o'Piracy

Bad trophies include:
Soggy Boot
Hair of the Dog

It seems to me that having a preponderance of "good" pillaging trophies would be a strong hint that this player is a "good" pillager, and most skills learned while jobbing (polite, hardworking, team spirit) transfer to leading pillages, so if a player is likely to be hired for good pillages, s/he is also likely to lead them.
[Feb 17, 2012 3:46:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.newadvent.org/bible/jon001.htm [Link]  Go to top 
Aeternis

I wonder why you think, that Hair of the Dog is a sign for a bad pillager? I did this trophy last year around christmas when people were doing special runs for that trophy. A perfect thing to do when you are doing some house work. Just to make sure to be there in time to straightline the sf or rumble ;)

For the question.

For picking the right ship to job on:

1.) Screen the crew cut and divy. The only thing worth jobbing for is even, jobber's delight and if there are not that many crewmates of the crew aboard, Crew Loyality, but rather stick to Even or Jobber's Delight
Then the higher the percentual number is, the better. You get more Poe out of a run with 80% Even than with 70% Jobber's delight!

2.) Screen where the ship is sailing/at port
There are routes and areas on every ocean that are harder but yielding more booty if you win.

3.) Stats of the Voyage
As indicated. Voyages with Red indicators usually pay better.

4.) Stats of the Naver
Usually the bnavstats is a good estimate of what you have to expect, but i had bad pillages with ultimate navers as well.
I really contradict that those "endurance" badges are really a good sign. They just mean that people are doing things often, not that they are good at it, though it can be that they are good too.
I saw people with 6+ seal of piracy not getting better than good all voyage and People playing 2 months doing really well.

5.) Ship Type.
Some ships are made for pillaging, others aren't
Ships you should clearly avoid for pillages are grand frigates, merchant galleons and merchant brigs and to a similar account cutters. Preferably are voyages on sloops, baglahs, war brigs and war frigates and to a lesser extend dhows, fanchuans and xebecs.
Locu on Cerulean and Opal (and some other Oceans)

Check the Rack at Phakey's Tailor Stall on Tinga for nice clothes!
Locu's Weaving Stall on Tinga and Cranberry

[Feb 18, 2012 6:28:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates