• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 7
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 988 times and has 6 replies Next Thread
jlh0605

Generic Building page Reply to this Post

I noticed that most building pages have the same text, so I decided to do something about it. I have put together a general-use building template, found here. I was thinking of using it in mass for buildings. Are there objections? The template is in my userspace, do I need to move it? Is it allowed to call another template within a template (which I did multiple times)?

Edit - I probably should have included an example .
----------------------------------------
~Jamesh on Emerald

Galene tells ye, "You are awesome."
[Edit 1 times, last edit by jlh0605 at Feb 7, 2012 10:12:18 PM]
[Feb 7, 2012 10:03:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link]  Go to top 
Belthazar451

Re: Generic Building page Reply to this Post

I understand the intent of what you're trying here, but I have to say I have my doubts. It's a sound idea in theory, but I'm not sure it'd work out too well in practice. It kinda discourages originality, and makes editing more difficult for new editors - because we all know how much new editors like editing building articles. =P

I was going to suggest that maybe you could use it to make page creation easier, but use a subst to leave just the text, but unfortunately the subst dorsn't take care of the #ifeq expressions.
[Feb 8, 2012 1:38:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
jlh0605

You do have a fair point, and that was my worry, and my reason for not editing (other than in my userspace) yet. My intent was mostly for me to use it, because (when I find the time), I'm planning on making a large number of edits in furtherance of getting the buildings updated as soon after the merge as possible. I just put the idea here for two reasons: 1) If somebody else wanted to use it, it's a useful tool, and 2) I don't know enough about wiki editing to know just what problems may happen if I use a template in my userspace outside my userspace.
~Jamesh on Emerald

Galene tells ye, "You are awesome."
[Feb 8, 2012 10:17:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link]  Go to top 
Fannon

Well if we decided to use it, we'd probably move it to the main space. Though Bel can correct me if I'm wrong there.

My one concern is similar to his in that it might confuse newer editors. It would probably even confuse experienced editors because it isn't immediately clear what needs to be edited. It's also not clear how to add more information if needed. I mean, *I* understand that, but we need to keep in mind accessibility.
Princess of Versus Terminus
Wikipedia Administrator
[Feb 8, 2012 10:28:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
monstersoda

How is this different than the normal building pages? I could have sworn that this was the standard for years, or did I miss something?

On Malachite, at least, every building had a page like this.
Emmett
[Feb 9, 2012 10:36:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Belthazar451

The difference is that it's being generated by a template rather than typed out by hand.
[Feb 9, 2012 11:45:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
monstersoda

The difference is that it's being generated by a template rather than typed out by hand.

Ah, that is interesting indeed. It's like buying toast from the store really.
Emmett
[Feb 9, 2012 2:05:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates