• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 18
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 4862 times and has 17 replies Next Thread
LJAmethyst

Outing of renamed pirates is prohibited. Reply to this Post

It has been confirmed to me by Prometheus that the old names of renamed pirates may not be revealed, per the TOS.

Petition Id: 6482994
Category: Pirates, Crews and Flags
Subject: Policy question about renames
Description: I have a question about pirate renames. If we know the owner of an old name, is it against the Terms of Service to reveal it to other players? Per the personal information section, which is often cited to prohibit revealing of alts.
Support Response: Aye, 'personal data' includes other pirates that the player uses. You may not reveal that information without that player's express permission.

----------------------------------------
Retired as of August 2015.
2 Timothy 4:7
[Edit 1 times, last edit by LJAmethyst at Feb 3, 2012 5:57:51 PM]
[Feb 3, 2012 5:57:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.newadvent.org/bible/jon001.htm [Link]  Go to top 
Chiptharip

Re: Outing of renamed pirates is prohibited. Reply to this Post

Honestly, the response seems stock and/or a misinterpretation of your question. You asked about renamed from the -e/w suffix, essentially. Prom was responding to "other pirates" (i.e. alts) - outting alts has always been against the rules.
[Feb 3, 2012 11:39:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Minsiem

Honestly, the response seems stock and/or a misinterpretation of your question. You asked about renamed from the -e/w suffix, essentially. Prom was responding to "other pirates" (i.e. alts) - outting alts has always been against the rules.

I disagree... I mean, yeah, it does seem "stock" as you say, but I don't think they misinterpreted the question at all. Nothing in the reply seems to indicate that to me.
Minsiem, Like A Fox
Nimbelina, Any Minute Now

I believe in a Higher Purple!

Erfan flag officer chats, "let's cade a popular forage island"

[Feb 6, 2012 12:27:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Quitex

Support Response: Aye, 'personal data' includes other pirates that the player uses. You may not reveal that information without that player's express permission.

Emphasis mine.

It's not another pirate that the player uses, is a previous name the player had but the player is not using anymore. It's different.

I also think Pro misinterpreted the question and provided a copy/paste answer which is fine if he was asking about alts, not renames.
Quitex, everywhere, mainly Ice.
Monarch of Cows
Joly wrote: 
Someone asked why Quitex would do this as a rogue. All I can say is, well, he's QUITEX! No one knows what he will do next, ESPECIALLY Quitex.

[Feb 6, 2012 1:04:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Minsiem

Oo, true. I rescind my disagreementation. :P
Minsiem, Like A Fox
Nimbelina, Any Minute Now

I believe in a Higher Purple!

Erfan flag officer chats, "let's cade a popular forage island"

[Feb 6, 2012 1:51:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
clasalle

Well at least on the test oceans when someone name changed they remained on your hearty list. So I see this as really hard to enforce if they do take this stand.
Lassie on Viridian
[Feb 6, 2012 1:57:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
HiimEric2001

The policy should really be the opposite. A person changing their name can have huge social implications. There should be a specific place where you can see who has changed their name.

If someone wants to play under a name where no one knows it's them, then alts are what they are looking for.
Cire
Purple Squid Brigade, Inglorious Fandango

Nemo says, "Cire has figured me out..."

[Feb 6, 2012 4:30:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Greyhavens

The policy should really be the opposite. A person changing their name can have huge social implications. There should be a specific place where you can see who has changed their name.

If someone wants to play under a name where no one knows it's them, then alts are what they are looking for.

This.

List of alts - no.
List of previous names for the exact same pirate - heck yes .
Cirdan of Silver Dreams
Trinket Junkie of Hunter Emerald

[Feb 7, 2012 10:17:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LisaKayeLA

This may be elementary, but the names on their portraits do not change. So if I am pirate Soandso and my name changes to pirate Suchandsuch and I look at the pirates portraits the names on the portraits are still Soandso.
Cpt - Debauchery at Sea
Princess of Fresh and Bold on Obisidian
Always just a text away.

*NOTE: All comments, opinions and observations are strictly my own and do not reflect those of my flag unless I'm queen.
[Feb 7, 2012 9:51:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
randomact

If they really cared about hiding their identity they would just delete their old portraits though.
Loathe/Forever.

Cremate tells ye, "i think i just broke my hymen"
[Feb 7, 2012 9:52:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LisaKayeLA

If they really cared about hiding their identity they would just delete their old portraits though.

And then some people are just dumb.
Cpt - Debauchery at Sea
Princess of Fresh and Bold on Obisidian
Always just a text away.

*NOTE: All comments, opinions and observations are strictly my own and do not reflect those of my flag unless I'm queen.
[Feb 7, 2012 9:54:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wrs1864b

You don't have to delete the portraits, moving them to an alt works too.

Personally, I think that renames should be public information, recorded by the game and that old names should be held in reserve for at least 60-90 days.

I can understand not allowing people to out alts, but trying to stop people from outing renames is going to be a much larger problem for OOO. Not only are there things like portraits, but you can also get a clue via renames in hearties, roommates/managers, stats/standings, appearances/clothes, etc. In most cases, it will be easy for certain people to know when someone has changed their name, so easy that they won't see anything wrong with casually revealing the information. OOO could end up spending a lot of OM time trying to whack people for outing renames, time that could be far better spent doing other things.
Algol can not assert the truth of all statements in this post and still be consistent.
[Feb 8, 2012 6:05:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Airion

As far as I'm concerned this policy has never really been enforced. When I changed my main a few years back and trusted the wrong person with that information, a group of players took it upon themselves to inform whomever they could of my former pirate. Despite numerous complaints in-game, nothing was ever done to discipline the bullies. And yet I got suspended for saying I was going outside for a fag. Go figure.
Don't wait for the perfect moment, take a moment and make it perfect.
[Feb 9, 2012 11:53:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
OtherJenny

As far as I'm concerned this policy has never really been enforced. When I changed my main a few years back and trusted the wrong person with that information, a group of players took it upon themselves to inform whomever they could of my former pirate. Despite numerous complaints in-game, nothing was ever done to discipline the bullies. And yet I got suspended for saying I was going outside for a fag. Go figure.

to go out for a Fag means a puff on a Cigarette outside

Trusted the wrong Person??

NEVER Give your passward to ANYONE!

go read your log in page
UK based so on GMT Time, but Happy to log on @ Silly O Clock for Trades.
Happy to FREE chart Polite Pirates
[Feb 10, 2012 4:23:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
DanD17

Well at least on the test oceans when someone name changed they remained on your hearty list. So I see this as really hard to enforce if they do take this stand.

Just thought I'd add incase it wasn't already common knowledge that this is still the case on the live oceans. You'll get messages similar to:

Suchandsuch-West was removed from your hearty list.
Suchandsuchnewname was added to your hearty list.
Suchandsuchnewname logged on.

So yeah, if people are trying to hide and that's protected by OMs, they're not going to do very well if they've got hearties online. Much better doing it the old fashioned way with a brand new pirate.
Daudy

Discocow!

Cremate says, "skmpns"
[Feb 10, 2012 4:33:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Aethera21

to go out for a Fag means a puff on a Cigarette outside

Trusted the wrong Person??

NEVER Give your passward to ANYONE!

go read your log in page

You didn't understand her post, mate:

She knows what going out for a fag means. Fag has another meaning, which is what unfairly got her suspended, in her view.

She didn't give anyone her password: she told a friend about her new alt, and that person blabbed it to everyone though she was hoping to get a fresh start.
Aethera of Cobalt Cerulean
Princess of Maniacal Menagerie
Blockade staff on any ocean
[Feb 10, 2012 10:48:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lotsofgoats

Thank you for taking care to contact the proper authorities regarding this extremely pressing issue.
I am Lotsofgoats and I approve this message.
[Feb 11, 2012 4:40:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
catscanner

I couldn't even GIVE a Prometheus egg out on Viridian...Go figure.
[Feb 13, 2012 1:11:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates