• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Forum Status: Locked
Total posts in this thread: 77
Posts: 77   Pages: 3   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 20796 times and has 76 replies Next Thread
LunEnvoy

Re: Intent for Windward Vale

I really dont expect any of you to give two shots about anything more than fapping. Hope that helps ease the pain of your insignificance.
----------------------------------------
LoLune

I'm still just the guard dog. I bite. They shoot.
[Jan 30, 2012 4:10:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
warp11

Hi.

According to Mensa (you know that organisation that bases their trials solely on IQ) the highest you can score on an online test is 126 (+-5 points). This means that you either A, are lying, B, have used an IQ-tester that isn't provided by a serious host or C, have done a writing test. http://www.mensa.se/HTML/testD/result.html?result=15

With that being said, it's absolutely ridiculous that you bring things such as IQ-test scores on here to prove your points (you know, like I just did up there). Take it from my man Forrest Gump instead;

Stupid is what stupid does.

Dahl "I have higher moral standards" gren
[Jan 30, 2012 4:32:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ezder

Dahlgren wrote: 
Hi.

According to Mensa (you know that organisation that bases their trials solely on IQ) the highest you can score on an online test is 126 (+-5 points). This means that you either A, are lying, B, have used an IQ-tester that isn't provided by a serious host or C, have done a writing test. http://www.mensa.se/HTML/testD/result.html?result=15

With that being said, it's absolutely ridiculous that you bring things such as IQ-test scores on here to prove your points (you know, like I just did up there). Take it from my man Forrest Gump instead;

Stupid is what stupid does.

I realised after I went to bed that I should have made a shorter explanation to the quote without numbers for it to be less provocative, since I've refrained from such replies to posts when Q is called stupid etc.

But it's too late now and since you point that out, I will answer again.

Here is the test you are talking about, and it does, indeed, not test higher than 126. This is for a very simple reason: It is extremely expensive to produce a reliable IQ test, because it has to be tested on a very large number of people to get the percentages right. Once you have such a test, you don't put it on the internet, you keep it safe. The more serious online tests are tested on a smaller group of people, and the results are an indication of your approximate IQ, but not quite valid for anything, really. (And then, there are the completely unscientific tests that give high results to everyone, to encourage them to brag about it and give it more attention, for more ad money.)

However, if you would actually do that test, you would see that it doesn't contain colours, and therefore works just as well for colourblind people.

I was talking about this Danish test, that is bigger, and contains colours. I don't know how high it claims to test, but at least well over 130.

This Norwegian test also claims to test at least a bit above 130, and is purely black and white.

So much about online tests, they're good fun. Mensa's overviewed test does not give a result higher than "135 or higher" (higher than 99% of the population), which is what Q scored at it. As for the reason why he took the test and joined Mensa at all, that's another story and not for the forums.

So, to sum it up, you have a point, but you generalise too much.
Avienda
Nightmare/Legacy

Naggy avatar

Qvintvs flag royalty chats, "I won't play for that much longer and when I quit, my pirate's dead body will be sent out at sea on a burning ship and let's face it, you will be on that ship as well.
[Jan 30, 2012 11:25:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
killinfisher

Avienda, I've lost so much respect for you, just knowing that you put so much stock in a test that uses numbers as a basis for intelligence.
Former Good Grief, Outcast member.

Gypsyjayne tells you,"Parley is actually latin for "Mock Verlool here."

IGN: Derpweasel
[Jan 31, 2012 4:53:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    nevertall [Link]  Go to top 
Ezder

Avienda, I've lost so much respect for you, just knowing that you put so much stock in a test that uses numbers as a basis for intelligence.

Oh no! The horror! :O
Avienda
Nightmare/Legacy

Naggy avatar

Qvintvs flag royalty chats, "I won't play for that much longer and when I quit, my pirate's dead body will be sent out at sea on a burning ship and let's face it, you will be on that ship as well.
[Jan 31, 2012 5:27:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
killinfisher

srsly though, you're not that stupid are you?

[Jan 31, 2012 5:46:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    nevertall [Link]  Go to top 
Ezder

srsly though, you're not that stupid are you?

I don't know where in any of my posts I said anything about how much "stock" I put in these tests, etc. I said that they are good fun, which I think they are.

Anyway, say that I do believe in the research that has been done on the topic, exactly how would that make me stupid? Can you explain what you mean by that?
Avienda
Nightmare/Legacy

Naggy avatar

[Jan 31, 2012 6:11:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
killinfisher

There is no concrete way to measure intelligence, and even if there were, it certainly would NOT be through a test that scores you with a number.

Anyone that takes that stuff seriously is just silly. And I have scored very high on IQ test in the past, this isn't just the ramblings of a man who is raging because he's an idiot.

[Jan 31, 2012 7:19:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    nevertall [Link]  Go to top 
benrenshaw

It's OK Avi, I respect you. PoE please?
Captainben on Meridian
Basicx on Emerald
[Jan 31, 2012 9:04:24 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LunEnvoy

Theres actually a perfectly accurate way to measure intelligence.
Its called 'im smarter than you'.
Simple enough.
LoLune

[Jan 31, 2012 9:38:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
killinfisher

Theres actually a perfectly accurate way to measure intelligence.
Its called 'im smarter than you'.
Simple enough.

Damn, you're clever. I retract every single negative thing I've ever said about you, and all of those that do, I will correct them in the future.

Thank you kind sir.

[Jan 31, 2012 10:24:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    nevertall [Link]  Go to top 
WenchCleo

The truth is that very smart people are capable of doing very stupid things...
Tikao of Viridian Meridian Ocean
Captain of Dark Horizon, Queen of Brink of Dawn

Martobain wrote: 
This thread is like a spanish soap series, I don't have a clue what they are saying and all the actors suck.

[Jan 31, 2012 11:00:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ezder

There is no concrete way to measure intelligence, and even if there were, it certainly would NOT be through a test that scores you with a number.

Anyone that takes that stuff seriously is just silly. And I have scored very high on IQ test in the past, this isn't just the ramblings of a man who is raging because he's an idiot.

Why would the number scoring as such make the measure invalid?

What you do is that you make a test, either with just visual symbols to make it independent of culture etc, or with a combination of visual symbols and other, language-based questions. The visual symbols test a person's ability to see patterns, to think outside of the box (since the type of pattern varies), and to do so fast. Then you let a large group of people do the test, and gather the results. If your test persons were chosen randomly, you will get a normal distribution. Set average to 100 and standard deviation to, for example, 15 and you will be able to set a number score, as well as a percentile, to every possible result. (Approximate, of course - luck is a factor and the result of one test can not be an exact result.)

In other words, a number result tells a person how good he/she is at seing patterns fast (thinking fast, basically), compared to the general population. Simple as that. Then say what you want about the correlations between IQ and other aspects of life.

I wanted to ask why you don't consider your own result valid but I couldn't word it in a way that doesn't seem offensive one way or another, so I'll leave that out. This is really not a topic for VP anyway.
Avienda
Nightmare/Legacy

Naggy avatar

[Jan 31, 2012 11:41:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ezder

Quote for that! (I'm agreeing with Tikao! O.O)
Avienda
Nightmare/Legacy

Naggy avatar

[Jan 31, 2012 11:42:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
WenchCleo

Hmm... you do know who I'm referring to, don't you?

Martobain wrote: 
This thread is like a spanish soap series, I don't have a clue what they are saying and all the actors suck.

[Jan 31, 2012 12:47:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ezder

Hmm... you do know who I'm referring to, don't you?

Yes. I chose to ignore the petty attempt at an insult, and just agree that yes, high intelligence does not make you immune to silly mistakes, far from it.

Be that way if you want, though, and I will view you as I normally do. :)
Avienda
Nightmare/Legacy

Naggy avatar

[Jan 31, 2012 1:00:41 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
WenchCleo

Wasn't really an insult, Avi, after all I do think you're probably very intelligent. Silly mistakes are not the same as doing stupid things. A silly mistake would be shooting off the right side instead of the left side in a battle. A stupid thing would be destroying Kirin by dropping as many shops as possible just to be spiteful toward the rest of the ocean.

Nor does high intelligence make you smart. A mathematician might be able to solve complex problems and yet not know how to work a washing machine.

Martobain wrote: 

[Jan 31, 2012 1:13:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
elfeesh

Nor does high intelligence make you smart. A mathematician might be able to solve complex problems and yet not know how to work a washing machine.

I dunno, I'm pretty good at doing both.
Elfeesh

"We are all worms. But I do believe I am a glow-worm."
[Jan 31, 2012 1:59:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Iameric

Nor does high intelligence make you smart. A mathematician might be able to solve complex problems and yet not know how to govern an island.

Fixed it for you
Iameric - Meridian/Emerald - Bacon Strips
[Jan 31, 2012 2:01:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
elfeesh

You got me :(
Elfeesh

"We are all worms. But I do believe I am a glow-worm."
[Jan 31, 2012 2:04:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ezder

Nor does high intelligence make you smart. A mathematician might be able to solve complex problems and yet not know how to govern an island.

Fixed it for you

I sure know which one I would choose if I had to!
Avienda
Nightmare/Legacy

Naggy avatar

[Jan 31, 2012 2:08:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
warp11

Hi.

According to the Cattel-Horn-Carroll theory intelligence is made up from a number of variables, all of which are not measureable in an IQ test. Even so we haven't even begun to discuss the relevance of EQ which surely is at least equally important in terms of relaying your intellectual findings in other ways than a numerical test.

Basically what I'm trying to say is, you can score high on an IQ test and still be an idiot in a number of ways, and you are wrong to put such an emphasis on a number given by a test that only measures part of the picture. Before you jump in and say you don't, it's obvious you must care quite a lot to bring it up as an arguement (even though I haven't actually followed the entire conversation I saw numbers being dropped).

Intelligence is an arbitrary phenomenon and attempting to compare it with others usually renders you looking a lot stupider than your IQ test suggests you are.
Dahl "I have higher moral standards" gren
[Jan 31, 2012 4:11:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Kamuflaro

Hi.

According to the Cattel-Horn-Carroll theory intelligence is made up from a number of variables, all of which are not measureable in an IQ test. Even so we haven't even begun to discuss the relevance of EQ which surely is at least equally important in terms of relaying your intellectual findings in other ways than a numerical test.

Basically what I'm trying to say is, you can score high on an IQ test and still be an idiot in a number of ways, and you are wrong to put such an emphasis on a number given by a test that only measures part of the picture. Before you jump in and say you don't, it's obvious you must care quite a lot to bring it up as an arguement (even though I haven't actually followed the entire conversation I saw numbers being dropped).

Intelligence is an arbitrary phenomenon and attempting to compare it with others usually renders you looking a lot stupider than your IQ test suggests you are.

In other words: You may be smarter than me, but nobody cares, because you are an idiot.
Forum mute - your shot at the waves of spam (also works on threads)
[Feb 3, 2012 12:50:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ezder

Dahlgren wrote: 
Hi.

Of course, intelligence has many sides and many skills follow with high intelligence. Intelligence is also a very sensitive topic, and very provocative to talk about. Many people seem to read "I have a high IQ" as "I am a superhuman, and I'm better than you". And they can't have that, so they counter with "It's just a number and it means nothing, and you're stupid for even mentioning it!" I don't know if the reaction would be the same if I said "I build muscles really fast at the gym", for example, but I somehow doubt it.

Another side of this extreme emphasis on intelligence, and jealousy that follows, is pseudo-scientific, popular theories about how there are several kinds of intelligence, like for example EQ, as you mentioned. Why not just accept that many abilities are useful in life, and leave it at that? It's great to be good at reading people's intentions, understand people, and be socially smooth. It's also great to have good health, good senses, to be psysically strong, to have musical talent, or good looks. But that doesn't mean that these abilities should be called intelligence - intelligence isn't everything.

But, to go back to your Wikipedia-link: That theory divides intelligence into several areas, and some make more sense than others. It also says, implicitly, that if you have dyslexia, or you don't hear well, or you grew up in an environment that didn't teach you much, you're less intelligent. And that is pretty interesting seing how the start of this whole discussion was that your friend Cremate/Motou found a quoted joke about how colourblind people are less intelligent in Denmark offensive.

At the same time, of course, you have a point to some extent. Like I mentioned earlier, there are two types of IQ test. One is the matrix test (visual symbols), that tests general intelligence, G. The other type is the battery test, that contains several parts to test for example understanding of words, short-term memory, mathematics, language-based logic etc and not only G. The battery test is culture-specific, more complicated to perform and more expensive. However, the same person usually gets very similar results no matter what type of test you use, so it often makes more sense to use matrix-tests, especially for testing in groups.

Here is an example of a Swedish battery test, if you want to see. However, I doubt that it is as serious as is claims to be. For example, the matrix part is not time-limited, the math part is extremely easy and has generous time limits, and the whole test isn't all that difficult. Yet, it claims to be able to give results such as this , which makes me suspect that it's one of those tests that give higher scores than it should to everyone, to make us happy and proud and make us want to spread the test to our friends, which gives them more ad money. It's still good fun and brain exercise, though.

Lastly, if you had actually read the post you started replying to, you would have seen that IQ was in no way brought up to "prove a point". I explained the joke behind a signature that Cremate claimed to find offensive, and in the explanation, I mentioned numbers, even though it would probably have been better to leave them out.
Avienda
Nightmare/Legacy

Naggy avatar

[Feb 3, 2012 4:30:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Setsusa

How high of an IQ do you need to spell auction properly?
Cremate on Emerald.
Motou on Meridian.
[Feb 3, 2012 5:48:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ezder

How high of an IQ do you need to spell auction properly?

Obviously completely irrelevant. Being born in an English-speaking country does not give you a higher IQ, and dyslexia does not give you a lower IQ (unless you use Dahlgren's definition, which makes about as much sense as saying that colourblind people have lower IQ).

But if that kind of petty spelling insults is all you have left, have at it.
Avienda
Nightmare/Legacy

Naggy avatar

[Feb 3, 2012 6:18:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Setsusa

Nah, it just needed to be said. Also, I think dyslexia is a poor argument since he made the same mistake more than once whilst making no other mistakes.

High five for pity effort card yet again though.
Cremate on Emerald.
Motou on Meridian.
[Feb 3, 2012 1:22:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ezder

Nah, it just needed to be said. Also, I think dyslexia is a poor argument since he made the same mistake more than once whilst making no other mistakes.

And this from the person, who gets offended by jokes about colourblindness. Picking on a dyslexian person's spelling. The irony.
Avienda
Nightmare/Legacy

Naggy avatar

[Feb 3, 2012 2:51:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LunEnvoy

And this from the person, who gets offended by jokes about colourblindness. Picking on a dyslexian person's spelling. The irony.

Haha hes such an idiot. It makes me giggle.
LoLune

[Feb 4, 2012 8:45:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Karal5

Haha hes such an idiot. It makes me giggle.

High-fiving a million angels^_^
Nag, Illi
[Feb 4, 2012 9:09:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 77   Pages: 3   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates