• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 77
Posts: 77   Pages: 3   [ First Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 9558 times and has 76 replies Next Thread
Clotho
OceanMaster

Design Egg Furniture for the Game 2012 [Winners announced!] Reply to this Post

"Eggs and more Eggs!"

It's Time To Design Egg Furniture Again!

Winners announced!

This is your chance to design Eggs to become furniture items in the game. We need you to design us the most awesome Eggs you can, and we'll be picking out the best designs to put into the game. Note that you have to design the flat square design that will then be rendered onto an egg shape - you don't design a finished egg-shaped design.

Post your entries in the Entry thread here

-- Include your design in your entry post as an image, using the image tags.
-- Images must be 256 x 256 pixels
-- Images must be .png format
-- Include pirate name and ocean in your post
-- If you have a preference on whether your egg (if chosen) is purchaseable or unpurchaseable, please mention this as well.
-- You can enter up to 8 designs each. These must all be in a single post - edit your post to change or add designs.

To post an image:
-- Save your image at the correct size as a .png image on your computer
-- Upload it to a website - either your own webspace, or use one of the main free sites such as www.putfile.com, www.imageshack.com, www.photobucket.com, etc, and get the url for the image on that site.
-- Ensure that your image is not in a private area that requires log-in to view. Get a mate to check they can see it with your url.
-- In your entry post, enclose the url in image tags as shown here.
-- PREVIEW BEFORE POSTING - if the image isn't showing on preview, check your url and tags.
-- Remember to add your pirate name and ocean before posting.

Tips and tricks and links and things:
These links are included not just as a reminder of previous entries, but also because the threads contain a lot of useful information, and probably answer most of the questions that are likely to come up this year!
-- Your design MUST be able to 'wrap' - the two sides of the design should join up seamlessly with no discontinuity where the two sides meet. Test this by laying two copies of your design side by side. Make sure it doesn't have an unsightly seam running down the egg. As long as the egg looks good when rendered a small seam depending on design will be acceptable.
-- Remember the shape-changing effect of putting your design round an egg. A design that looks sensible in a square template could look strange on the final egg model.
-- The scene also really burns out the details, so make the whole thing slightly darker than you would think. Slightly!
-- Keep it simple. The design has to work on a relatively small object, make sure your design shines through.
--This YPPedia page shows the winning Easter eggs from 2006 to 2011.

--Link to the 2011 event thread
--Link to the 2011 entry thread
--YPPedia page of 2011 entries flat version
--YPPedia page of 2011 entries rendered versions

--Link to the 2010 event thread
--Link to the 2010 entry thread
--YPPedia page of 2010 entries flat version
--YPPedia page of 2010 entries rendered versions

--Link to the 2009 event thread
--Link to the 2009 entry thread
--YPPedia page of 2009 entries flat version
--YPPedia page of 2009 entries rendered versions

--Link to the 2008 event thread
--Link to the 2008 entry thread
--YPPedia page of 2008 entries rendered versions

--Link to the 2007 event thread
--Link to the 2007 entry thread
--YPPedia page of 2007 entries rendered versions

--Link to the 2006 event thread
--Link to the 2006 entry thread
--YPPedia page of 2006 entries flat version
--YPPedia page of 2006 entries rendered versions

TUTORIALS!
--Silveransom's egg tutorial for Blender
--Adrielle's egg tutorial for 3DS 2010
--Silveransom's 2008 egg reference template thread
--Silveransom's egg rendering tutorial or the simpler 2008 updated version here
--Ponytailguy's tutorial for testing the designs in 3DS-MAX
--Inghild's tutorial for testing your own egg designs using Povray

RENDERING!
-- In previous years, there have been kind folk willing and able to host a "Test Rendering Thread", which allows people who don't have access to appropriate software the chance to see their designs rendered and tweak them before deciding their final entries. The thread has been started linked here , so if you have any designs that you want to see rendered, please post there! (Thank you very much, volunteers!)

These threads where designs from previous years were tested before being finalized - take a look - it will give you lots of ideas for what works and what doesn't!
--2011 rendering test thread
--2010 rendering test thread
--2009 rendering test thread
--2008 rendering test thread
--2007 rendering test thread
--Guppymomma's Rendered Eggs thread from 2006

-- If you want a copy of the basic egg mesh file, you can get it from YPPedia here, or link to the file directly here. It's linked from http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Egg. You can use this if you wish to test your design and you have a 3D modeling program. Note that you do not need to do this to enter - just if you want to try it out yourself.
-- If you're keen to test it, there are easy downloads of 30 days free trial versions of some 3D modeling software (e.g. 3D studio max or Blender). You may need a renderer plug-in.
-- Quick instructions on how to get the correct viewpoint for the eggs are here.

I'm not an expert with these bits of software, so if there are updated instructions I should link to or other useful tutorials I may have missed, I'll be happy to edit these in! Thanks again to those people who have helped in the past with rendering and YPPedia pages, and to those who (I hope!) will do so this year, thanks in advance. You are wonderful!

The deadline for egg designs is Wednesday 29th February 2011 - 11:59pm game time.
If yours is one of the winning designs chosen, your prize is to get your design created as a bit of in-game furniture, and you'll be given an egg in your design. If you win, your design may be rotated for the final egg.

Go forth and lay eggs!

Español
Deutsch

Edit: added link to rendering thread
Edit: added link to German thread
Edit: added details on seams
Edit: added Inghild's tutorial for povray
----------------------------------------

Hilando las hebras de la vida pirata...
[Edit 9 times, last edit by Clotho at Mar 6, 2012 10:26:36 PM]

[Jan 27, 2012 12:28:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jongy5

Re: Design Egg Furniture for the Game 2012 [Deadline February 29th] Reply to this Post

Go forth and lay eggs!

FINALLY! This game needs some musical eggs!
Musicologist : Self-proclaimed Master Minstrel mostly of Meridian
Clotho tells ye, "I love your musical art, thank you for sharing!"

Avvy by the awesome Velternal!
[Jan 30, 2012 1:10:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ezmerelda_M

Re: Design Egg Furniture for the Game 2012 [Deadline February 29th] Reply to this Post

Test rendering thread =)

Who else feels like test rendering this year? Hehe =)

Also - Aussie students (and possibly students in other countries as well?) now have access to 3DS Max student edition for free via the Autodesk student portal =D
Adrielle (retired) / @AmazinAdrielle on Twitter
[Jan 30, 2012 2:03:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://amazingadrielle.webs.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
CapnKkatz

Oh! Oh! Pick me! :) (sent you a PM)
Greylady, Meridian & Emerald
Greyladyy on Cerulean
Cronus tells ye, "...it's Hera's doing. She spread those horrid lies of me eating poor innocent babies. *burp*"
Cronus tells ye, "When in doubt blame Hera"
[Jan 30, 2012 3:01:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Clotho
OceanMaster

The rendering thread has been started linked here , so if you have any designs that you want to see rendered, please post there!
Thank you, you are amazing!

[Jan 30, 2012 7:29:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
iong

eggs Eggs EGGS!! :D

there are some very adorable ones already. and i guess i can't make another TARDIS egg :P excited!
Captain and Surgeon of Eye of Harmony
Founding member of Blink and The White Void
Show-me-the-stars avvie by XEcastasy!!

Adrielle tells ye, "they are coming - the chickens are coming"

[Jan 30, 2012 10:36:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Clotho
OceanMaster

Thanks to Yvchen we now have a translation in German and a reminder that Blender is free to use and has a large and helpful community. This and other useful programs are listed in this page in YPPedia.

[Jan 31, 2012 7:56:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Yngve6

I was wondering where I could post my .pov file on yppedia. Just tested it with Adrielle's egg template and I think it looks just right. Since povray is a free raytracer, it would be possible for more people to test render their own designs.
Right now I put it in my google documents, but it would be better to post it as a resource somewhere in yppedia I think.
Inghild on Meridian
Yngve on Emerald
[Feb 1, 2012 9:12:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Clotho
OceanMaster

I was wondering where I could post my .pov file on yppedia. Just tested it with Adrielle's egg template and I think it looks just right. Since povray is a free raytracer, it would be possible for more people to test render their own designs.
Right now I put it in my google documents, but it would be better to post it as a resource somewhere in yppedia I think.

I'm afraid that for this contest the images must be .png format, and as far as I know, .pov is not a permitted file for the wiki.

[Feb 1, 2012 5:50:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Yngve6

It's not an image I would like to upload. It's the source file for rendering eggs with povray. But the difference between the pov rendering and the 3ds rendering is too big anyway. So much for free rendering ><
So I'm afraid we will all have to continue bothering greylady and adrielle with this.
Inghild on Meridian
Yngve on Emerald
[Feb 2, 2012 11:19:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Snowpixie

It's not an image I would like to upload. It's the source file for rendering eggs with povray. But the difference between the pov rendering and the 3ds rendering is too big anyway. So much for free rendering ><
So I'm afraid we will all have to continue bothering greylady and adrielle with this.

There's also Blender. Silverransom's egg blend file and super helpful template guide are linked in the OP. There are also some lighting differences with the blender render, but it's super helpful for tweaking designs and shapes.
Imp, totally sane mermaid-siren of Meridian.
Superdoodle avatar by Budclare =D
[Feb 2, 2012 11:40:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Yngve6

Thanks Imp. Just installed 3dstudio max and hate it already. Gonna try to find that blender file and see if I like that better. Just need to get the angle camera and lighting position right so that I have some idea of what the colors will look like. Definitely gonna try povray again though, does the same with a fraction of the buttons :D
Inghild on Meridian
Yngve on Emerald
[Feb 2, 2012 12:49:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Reddress

wait, if egg is un-purchase-able, how could the average pirate lay his hook on it?
[Feb 5, 2012 4:15:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ezmerelda_M

wait, if egg is un-purchase-able, how could the average pirate lay his hook on it?

They are given out as tournament and event prizes =D It makes them rarer and more valuable, but the downside is that they are harder to come by...
[Feb 5, 2012 4:36:43 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://amazingadrielle.webs.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
Minsiem

Is it weird if I say Dexla's eggs are sexy?
Minsiem the Facetious of Cerulean: Burple Punny, & Sushicide-al maniac!
~ I wonder if they are using the same internet we are using. ~
[Feb 6, 2012 1:59:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
joandart

Is it weird if I say Dexla's eggs are sexy?

Aww shucks, everything about Dexla is sexy.
Herowena of Cerulean
Still Sleeping With The Fishes

[Feb 6, 2012 2:13:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dexla

/me blushes in 10 shades of red...
Thank you! You just made my day!
DEXLA LOUISA MIDNIGHT on Cerulean
[Feb 6, 2012 2:58:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ezmerelda_M

Sexy Dexy! =D

I made a little seamless pattern guide (using gradient brushes) and put it on the wiki. It might be helpful =)
[Feb 6, 2012 3:38:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://amazingadrielle.webs.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
Amyrosee

Sexy Dexy! =D

I made a little seamless pattern guide (using gradient brushes) and put it on the wiki. It might be helpful =)

Adrielle, I think i love you :3
Amyrosee
Sage ocean now to be Emerald.

Hera says, "Amyrosee = SCARY"
[Feb 7, 2012 6:40:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LiquidatorJo

I hope I can come up with a winning entry this year!
Noob Greeter asks "What's an Atlantis?"
[Feb 8, 2012 3:40:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Phaerie2

A question on naming conventions for the entries....

The format we use for submitting to the rendering thread, eg:
Phaerie-blacksheep06_skin.png

is it okay to leave in the _skin part of the title, or do we re-save without for submission to this thread?
Phaerie on Cerulean
"My donkey fell in your waffle hole"
[Feb 9, 2012 3:55:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Quitex

The name format is only for the rendering thread not the main event. You can name your entry clothoessexyylosabes.png if you want to and it should be OK.

Is it? o__O
Quitex, everywhere, mainly Ice.
Monarch of Cows
Joly wrote: 
Someone asked why Quitex would do this as a rogue. All I can say is, well, he's QUITEX! No one knows what he will do next, ESPECIALLY Quitex.

[Feb 9, 2012 4:19:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Clotho
OceanMaster

That's correct. But anyone naming their entry that is at risk - no outing of my sexyness anywhere!

[Feb 9, 2012 4:25:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Phaerie2

Thank ye! Although not what I wanted to hear lol! Now I gotta go back and rename, reupload and re-edit my entry posts. Meh.
Phaerie on Cerulean
[Feb 9, 2012 5:34:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Clotho
OceanMaster

You don't need to reupload, the entry thread is usually linking the images to an external web hosting site. Once the arrrtists decide the winners, they will use their own naming convention. The only place that requires a specific naming format is the rendering thread :)

[Feb 9, 2012 5:40:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Phaerie2

That is a much nicer answer and made me a happy chicken, I mean, pirate, indeed :D
Phaerie on Cerulean
[Feb 9, 2012 5:43:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Quitex

I guess I was never cut out to be an OM in the first place :(
Quitex, everywhere, mainly Ice.
Monarch of Cows
Joly wrote: 
Someone asked why Quitex would do this as a rogue. All I can say is, well, he's QUITEX! No one knows what he will do next, ESPECIALLY Quitex.

[Feb 9, 2012 7:04:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Yngve6

I finally nailed it :D I can render eggs in povray that come very close to the 3ds rendering.
For all of you that would like to render their own eggs and don't have access to 3d studio max. You can download my povray files and a tutorial movie here.
Povray is free to download here. Make sure you have the right version, it's available in 32 and 64 bit and for max, linux and windows.

After installing povray, simply unpack my zip file anywhere you like. Open the file "eggy_POV_scene.pov" in povray and press run. The example "testgrid" should be rendered straight away. In the movie you can see what to do to render your own designs.

Here are some examples I did in povray and in 3d studio max.
For each pair the first one is done in povray, the second in 3d studio max

Not exactly the same, but pretty close and good enough for testing a desing I think.
Inghild on Meridian
Yngve on Emerald
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Yngve6 at Feb 11, 2012 1:56:54 PM]
[Feb 11, 2012 1:54:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ezmerelda_M

I don't know if I have shared this before, but SumoPaint (a free online drawing program with multiple language options) has a great 'symmetry tool' that is brilliant for making flowers and other designs that can be incorporated into skins for eggs =D

You can click and drag with a mouse to draw, or use a tablet. (Playing with the values and options along the top - like 'number of symmetry points', 'gravity' etc. is lots of fun!)
[Feb 22, 2012 3:27:06 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://amazingadrielle.webs.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
Snowpixie

A quick question for Clotho regarding seems, both to check up on something for those who've been doing it (and maybe make it easier for myself!)

In some cases, some of the more complex patterned skins are presented as a rectangle on a plain background. (I can provide examples if you like, but I don't want to single anyone out - it's fairly common), and it avoids the whole having to make the design seamless issue.

Is this okay to do, or would it just be considered a self-imposed-considerably-wider seam?

From what I understand, the seamlessness is the arrtist's requirement - and I'm not really sure why, and whether it's an absolute. Some beautfully decorated eggs (like the animals) only have one suitable view anyway, so is there a reason (bearing in mind the above question) why patterns must be 100% rotate-able?
Imp, totally sane mermaid-siren of Meridian.
Superdoodle avatar by Budclare =D
[Feb 22, 2012 3:37:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 77   Pages: 3   [ First Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2014 Three Rings Design, Inc. All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates